The Rise of Skywalker Star Wars Goldilocks: Will ep 9 be the perfect mix of too safe and too risky?

MessiahDecoy123

Psychological Anarchist
Reaction score
TFA was too safe.

TLJ was too risky.

Will episode 9 be juuuust right? :gngl:

I think IX will have a little backtracking from VIII. Before I continue tho, is this is a spoiler thread?

Yes because it's co-written by Chris Terrio.

The only thing I want Abrams to actually retcon is Phasma's death, if only to salvage what has been a complete waste of a character. All the other stuff is better left the way it is. If Snoke's backstory is pertinent to the narrative he should get into it, but he should not bring him back. At this point it would severely undermine Kylo's arc.

I think JJ will play it safe like he did the last time but I don't want him going and retconning a bunch of things TLJ did.

Leave Rey a random, leave Phasma dead, leave the force bond between Rey and Kylo.

I think we'll see a lot of force ghost Luke, which should make Luke Stans happy.

I think its gonna be safer and more of what people love about SW. Disney is thrilled with its TLJ BO success, no question. That said, I doubt they like the venom and anger surrounding TLJ.

Fans may be willing to stick it to other fans who didn't like it or visa versa, but the reality is, Disney is in the business of trying to please everyone and they would prefer everyone walk away happy.

They didn't purchase SW to churn out films which, fair or not, alienate sections of the fanbase.

If Han Solo stinks, they'll definitely want the next film to unite fans ,not divide them.

I don't think JJ will retcon TLJ, but I do think it'll effectively be a reboot of TLJ, the same way TLJ basically rebooted TFA.

I think JJ will play it safe like he did the last time but I don't want him going and retconning a bunch of things TLJ did.

Leave Rey a random, leave Phasma dead, leave the force bond between Rey and Kylo.

I think we'll see a lot of force ghost Luke, which should make Luke Stans happy.

I severely doubt Hamill will want to return given how much he disliked TLJ.

The only thing I want Abrams to actually retcon is Phasma's death, if only to salvage what has been a complete waste of a character. All the other stuff is better left the way it is. If Snoke's backstory is pertinent to the narrative he should get into it, but he should not bring him back. At this point it would severely undermine Kylo's arc.

While i was hoping Phasma would get a better showing, her death i think will be permanent. I would much rather the Knight of Ren take stage as the 2nd tier enemies. As for Snoke, i agree 100%

I see him maybe only changing Reys story a little, i dont see them leaving her as just a random. Somethign tells me force ghost Luke will have some news for her. THe force bond IMO has to stay, i loved that part of the movie.

I think they can talk him into coming back, especially if they tell him Luke will be more like Luke.

I think he'll come back, and he and JJ will likely be more on the same page.

Ironically, Johnson set up the end of the film in such a way that JJ could basically pick up the story without having to refer to or be dependent on the events of TLJ.

In other words, the story doesn't have to begin right after the events of of TLJ but instead be like most sw films and take place two or three years after the last film. That way JJ, isn't bound by the divisive aspects of TLJ and instead can finish up the story.

They'll have to resolve the Leia issue of course in some way, but other than that Johnson actually left JJ with something of a clean slate in which could go back to some of the ideas that Johnson abandoned, and finish the story in a satisfying way .

I think he'll come back, and he and JJ will likely be more on the same page.

Ironically, Johnson set up the end of the film in such a way that JJ could basically pick up the story without having to refer to or be dependent on the events of TLJ.

In other words, the story doesn't have to begin right after the events of of TLJ but instead be like most sw films and take place two or three years after the last film. That way JJ, isn't bound by the divisive aspects of TLJ and instead can finish up the story.

They'll have to resolve the Leia issue of course in some way, but other than that Johnson actually left JJ with something of a clean slate in which could go back to some of the ideas that Johnson abandoned, and finish the story in a satisfying way .

I honestly think they will resolve Leia with a "General Leia is dead the resistance is in shambles" type of intro card, and then maybe with a funeral to start the movie.

I think that is how Leia will be handled, too. Announce it in the crawl and do some type of tribute in the opening.

I honestly think they will resolve Leia with a "General Leia is dead the resistance is in shambles" type of intro card, and then maybe with a funeral to start the movie.

I think that's the best, cleanest way to go. Set it at least a year out from VIII and open with some kind of memorial for Leia.

Except, the one thing they were actually clear about in TLJ is that the Resistance died in that film.

Any references should be to the New Rebel Alliance being formed to take on a victorious First Order who has primary(but shaky) control of the Galaxy. The trigger point for the episode being as you say.. the death and funeral of Leia.

That also allows them to seamlessly transition to Lando having showed up at her funeral. You can even have Kylo show up, given it was his mother that died, for the first action sequence, where he tries to take out the heads of the RA, given they're all finally in one place.

I would rather Kylo not try to kill any of the RA at Leia's funeral. I think itd be more tense and intriguing if publicly he plays nice. So he shows up at the funeral acting like the grieving son for the cameras and shakes hands and plays nice for the holonet cameras and says some kind words to the people that he knows are against him and then he makes some ominous under the breadth comment to Rey and leaves. Rey having to stand there and be civilized beside Kylo at Leia's funeral would be tense as ****.

I would rather Kylo not try to kill any of the RA at Leia's funeral. I think itd be more tense and intriguing if publicly he plays nice. So he shows up at the funeral acting like the grieving son for the cameras and shakes hands and plays nice for the holonet cameras and says some kind words to the people that he knows are against him and then he makes some ominous under the breadth comment to Rey and leaves. Rey having to stand there and be civilized beside Kylo at Leia's funeral would be tense as ****.

Or do the ol frame job 'assassination attempt' on Kylo that gets blamed on Rey and the Rebels?

I could see it work.

And if re-intro'ing Lando here, i'd prefer if they also had Emilia Clarke as an older Qi`Ra. She was one of the better things about Solo, so you might as well use her.

Risky without the "too". Which is a good thing, Rian nailed the balance the first time around.

If this were 1980 you'd be soiling yourself over Empire, too. Fanboys gonna fanboy.

TFA was too safe.

TLJ was too risky.

Will episode 9 be juuuust right? :gngl:

The risk has been taken and a part of the SW fanbase has now checked out as a result. The ending will be less important now however it is done as it hasn't been setup well. It should be the most important film of all time but won't even be the most important film of the year.

Risky without the "too". Which is a good thing, Rian nailed the balance the first time around.

If this were 1980 you'd be soiling yourself over Empire, too. Fanboys gonna fanboy.

I'm sure there are many fans soiling themselves at the moment over TLJ but your posts on Star Wars also often sound like you are soiling yourself. :woot:

As far as the topic of the thread goes, I'm not sure what "risky" things are really left to do outside of something like , killing Rey off at the end or having her turn to the darkside and betray the resistence .

TLJ pretty much made alot of the big decisions and resolved several threads of TFA.

I don't think Abrams will retcon any of TLJ, so that would take that risky or controversial decision off the table.

Having seen Abrams work for years, I wouldn't be surprised if the film is a crowd pleaser and a much less polarizing film than the last two.

Maybe that qualifies as "safe". They'll still be fanboy polarization because the next conversation will become " Is Episode 9 better than Episode 8?!".

At this point, the most "risky" thing about Episode 9 would be if the film out and out stinks, and gets Justice League and BvS type RT scores .

Of course it'll be more of a feel-good movie, between Abrams directing and it being the third act of a saga. That goes without saying, part two's always the twist-the-knife downer. That's how stories work.

As we quickly forget that the debacle of Empire's Box Office led to changes in RoTJ designed specifically to pump that handle.

Its fascinating how all of a sudden Luca$ fell back on Old Faithful and quickly popped in a new Death Star. He then realized that Wookies were too expensive to film, so moved the setting to Endor, where he realized he could make a mint basically selling 'fightin Teddy Bears to little kids.

What he did not do, is nothing at all, while actively telling fans they don't know what they want. But then, he is on record as not liking Empire at the time either, as it had deviated too far from his primary goal of creating a moralistic fun space adventure tale for children.

So without an oar in that water, he was free to 'respond to the fans' by going back to something more approximating his vision.

Of course it'll be more of a feel-good movie, between Abrams directing and it being the third act of a saga. That goes without saying, part two's always the twist-the-knife downer. That's how stories work.

Third act of a trilogy. Just out of curiousity... if that's how stories work, what did you think of that feel-good movie Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith? A heartwarming tale where the protagonist of the series slaughters little kids before having his legs cut off and being burned alive. While this is happening, the heroine in the series, Padme, dies just after childbirth, causing Obi-Wan to abduct and hide the kids. Seems like a twist-the-knife downer to me such that they might have to name the next movie 'A New Hope', but YMMV.

Last edited:

Well, it doesn't always go without saying. Return of the King wasn't a feel good film though at the end ,the heroes succeeded , with a cost. Neither was The Dark Knight Rises a feel good film , but Bruce triumphs at the end. Neither was Revenge of the Sith.

It depends on what the story is really.

In this particular case, given alot of the ground TLJ covered and Abrams own history I think it will fall into the more cheery finale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"