The Last Jedi Star Wars: The Last Jedi Hypesters Review Thread [TAG SPOILERS!]

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
tXnsjOV.png

TAG SPOILERS

TO VOTE
CLICK HERE

Normally I'd go into depth about a film like this, but I just feel like all these characters deserved better than what was delivered. I got the feeling at times this film wasn't interested in continuing the plot threads from the last film. Frankly, there were long stretches of this film that felt boring. I'm just stunned how they managed to launch a new trilogy with four interesting new characters and then just drop the ball with them immediately in the next movie. This film looks great, and it has some interesting character moments, but there's too much bloat in this movie for such a simple and weak story. I feel like this is at best a 5/10 movie, but I'm not sure about it. The more I think about it, the less I like this movie.

How is it Rian Johnson’s trilogy when he only did one of them?

I utterly adored this film. It's strange and weird, but there's drama and emotion at play that genuinely moved me. I wasn't so hot on TFA, but this film to me felt like a genius evolution of everything introduced and a fresh take on the Star Wars saga. Right now it's pushing to be my second favourite of the whole lot, right behind ESB.

Normally I'd go into depth about a film like this, but I just feel like all these characters deserved better than what was delivered. I got the feeling at times this film wasn't interested in continuing the plot threads from the last film. Frankly, there were long stretches of this film that felt boring. I'm just stunned how they managed to launch a new trilogy with four interesting new characters and then just drop the ball with them immediately in the next movie. This film looks great, and it has some interesting character moments, but there's too much bloat in this movie for such a simple and weak story. I feel like this is at best a 5/10 movie, but I'm not sure about it. The more I think about it, the less I like this movie.

I just came from the film. I hate to compare it to The Force Awakens, but I (for whatever reason) enjoyed TFA a bit more. The Last Jedi was a bit more of a barrage; full of characters, attempted surprises (although one of them I genuinely didn't see coming), and ultimately for me a few letdowns. I don't mean to sound negative, because I literally just left the movie about an hour ago and I'm still processing it, but the pacing of the film was off putting, and so many of the scenes didn't have a chance to breathe. Also I felt there were too many "jokey" moments such as... [BLACKOUT]Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder just didn't feel right to me. He simply should've sighed and dropped it.[/BLACKOUT] I won't drop any more specifics other than to say I think I'd have to now agree with what Mark Hamill has been saying for the last year... I don't like the direction they took with Luke. I'd give the movie a 7/10.

My non-spoiler review is here:

Feels great to finally be able to talk about the film. Man it is fanstastic. I just saw it for the second time and everything fell into place even more. The red herrings are there for all to see and no moment is wasted - every line and action has purpose and consequence. Over ambitious? Sure. But it hits far more than it misses.

Full review is here:

https://medium.com/@benhollidaytalks/star-wars-the-last-jedi-non-spoiler-review-d0f11679d3e8

Loved it a lot! Easily the best SW film since Empire. Can't wait to see it again! :)

It was ok. I really wanted to like it more. The movie is well made and it didn't feel too long. There were many things I didn't like story wise. This feels better than The Force Awakens at least. I wasn't a big fan of that movie.

3/5

Last edited:
Okay, literally just got home from seeing it.

Before I continue, I should say that I used to be a die-hard SW fan. Back in the days when the films first came out there was nothing that even approached my love for them (except Superman the movie), to me they were the pinnacle of adventure/space opera/sci fi. In the early 90s a bunch of mates and I used to play the old SW RPG, with great enthusiasm.

All of that changed with the prequels, which really took all the wonder and awe out of the SW universe - hell, the only films that come close to capturing that original magic were Serenity and GOTG, and they aren't even SW films.

Somewhere SW lost its way. I had high hopes for TFA, and while it's good film it doesn't live up to the originals, mostly because of it's utter lack of any original ideas, and its absolutely criminal mishandling of Han's death.

But let's move on to TLJ.

Can't do a substantive review without spoilers so here goes.

To start, it's a good film. There were bits where the audience cheered and clapped (e.g. Snoke's death) and to me that's a real harkening back to those first films and their sense of adventure and ability to get audiences to care about the characters.

It has moments where it touches the original trilogy, but overall is probably the 4th best SW films ( with ANH as the best, ESB as number 2, ROTJ as number 3 and TLJ as number 4, the prequel films are rubbish and don't even make the top 10, as the next best SW stuff is SW:Rebels - as for TFA, IMO it was just a regurgitation of ANH, and while the cast were good, it loses a lot of points for a complete lack of originality).

Okay, so there were a lot of things I liked

1) Luke: Mark Hamill shone in the role as a broken, conflicted Luke Skywalker - and Johnson gave him solid lines to bring that anguish out.

I loved his speech about hubris and legends - because of course it's prophetic and he does indeed stare down the entire First Order by himself.

For me, when a beloved fictional character dies it really should be something special. I don't feel bad about Luke's passing (I mean, he'll be back as a ghost for sure) because it was so well done, and he went out saving everyone. It was a grand exit.

"See you around kid." was perfect.

That last sunset was such a nod back to the twin sunset scene of ANH, terrific fan service there and very fitting.

To me, Luke was the best thing about the film - and yes, they did pull the whole trick where he disappeared for most of the third act and then shows up to save the day, but boy did it work.

And of course there was good chemistry with Daisy Ridley, so there's a bonus

2) Rey: She developed some more depth in this film, a bit less of a talking plot device and more of a character.

3) The Rey/Ren bond: this was one of the best things in the film, because it worked. I kind of see them as the Neo/Agent Smith type relationship that they grow stronger because of each other, and while they are opposites they are connected. It worked, big time.

4) Kylo Ren: there are moments where he's a terrific villain, and Adam Driver does a lot with just a look, he's good at conveying his emotions. His bow legged walk I find a bit distracting, but generally he's menacing enough - and in a nice change from previous SW villains a bit complicated, as in there may indeed be good in him and he and Rey's relationship is not a simple adversarial one.
He throws less tantrums than in TFA, but had a couple of moments where he came across as a spoiled child - However, for the most part I felt him a worthy villain.

Laura Dern was good in her role, although the costume was terrible - but she too had a grand exit, which worked really well ( nicely filmed too).

The humour was pretty decent, and I liked General Hux as the First Order's resident punching bag - that was funny.

No actual lightsabre duels but a kung fu lightsabre battle against the red-suited guard ( a big cheer went up when Rey tossed Ren the sabre and he put it through the helmet of the guy who was choking him).

Some good fan service: Luke's final sunset, "here they come" music motif from the original series, the "help me Obi Wan Kenobi" hologram, Yoda's cameo... stuff that true fans will have seen and appreciated.

And on the other hand......

There's nothing that I thought was poor or crappy (so instantly a big step up from the prequel trilogy) although the storytelling in the first act bounced around a lot.

However, there were a bunch of things I found simply unnecessary or just neutral ( as in they didn't diminsh the film, but were "just there")

The whole Finn/Rose side mission was ultimately pointless and a distraction from the more important character interactions.

Did this film really need Benicio Del Toro in it ? No.

It could have been at least 20 minutes shorter and been just as good or better.

I still don't get the rave about Oscar Isaac, any number of reasonable character actors could have pulled off his role in this film.

Snoke.....well, he was really just a plot device to get Rey and Ren together, although I liked how effortlessly he dealt with Rey. My one gripe about him was that he felt like Palpatine-light, twice the scars but only half the evil.

I mean in ROTJ when the Emperor's taunting Luke, the whole audience is just begging for him to die - whereas Snoke is just more annoying (and a little bit Gollum) there was cheering and clapping at his death ,in the cinema I was in, but I didn't really find him particularly captivating as a villain.

I'm glad he's out of the way.

All in all I'd give this one an 8/10. Again, it has moments where it touches the greatness of the original films, and is much, much better than TFA, but as a whole falls a little short.

Loved it. Probably the most interesting blockbuster in a while. Explored characters nicely. Everything about Luke was amazing. And Kylo Ren is a really unique bad guy. Carrie Fisher got a nice amount of screentime. And of course there's Rey. Rey is good.

Saw it yesterday back-to-back with TFA.

Loved it! So many unexpected moments and really liked Rian's direction. It felt VERY different to TFA and every other SW film too.

Driver was a beast here. There is a scene with him where I had my jaw dropped. Rey really shines in this one, too. Leia's parts were awesome, the only scene I didn't like was
her using the force while in space to get back to the ship.
That looked very cheesy and not something I would imagine seeing Leia to do.

Poe was as awesome as ever and I was pleasantly surprised by Admiral Holdo. The only bit which dragged a bit were the Canto Bight scenes with Finn and Rose. DJ's character, though - Benicio nailed it.

Hamil - not quite what I expected they would do with Luke here, but didn't mind it overall. His parts were truly epic. LOVED
Yoda's cameo and him still teaching him lessons.

The visuals were amazing and Johnson really brought a unique visual style here, with interesting zooms, wide shots and the camera carefully tracking what's going on-screen. What I loved the most, though, is that he brought something different. It really felt watching something else, something not so safe. This is a risky film, with many unexpected moments. Avoid spoilers at all cost before seeing it.

Overall - 9/10. Have 3 more screenings booked and I can't wait to re-live it again!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this movie. Some scenes were a bit too long, I got disappointed for one character, but the rest was awesome. They added so much things about the Force and it worked very well. Especially with the big four : Luke, Leïa, Kylo and Rey. I don't think they went too far or erase what was proposed in the trilogy and the prelogy. That has just evolved. The supporting characters were good. Among the three newbies, Rose surprised me the most. I liked her character and her story.
The story of the movie and the destiny of characters was not very predictable. Many times you thought something would happen and seconds later you've got fooled.
Revenge of the Sith stays number one, but The Last Jedi amazed me a lot.

5/5

Definitely one of my favourite Star Wars films (probably at least the 3rd best for me), did things I didn't expect and wasn't afraid to take things slow at times, the Canto Bight stuff is the weakest part of the film. It has some of the most impressive scenes I have seen in any of the series. The fact that it goes in directions people might not have expected might mean that some won't like it but I can't recommend it highly enough.

Can anyone confirm what the opening crawl was like in terms of music? If you listen to the tfa crawl it sounds so flat and dissapointing compared to the OT versions. Can anyone confirm if they thought it was better this time like lounder and I dont know more going on. Listen to the empire and rotj openings to see what I mean.

Can anyone confirm what the opening crawl was like in terms of music? If you listen to the tfa crawl it sounds so flat and dissapointing compared to the OT versions. Can anyone confirm if they thought it was better this time like lounder and I dont know more going on. Listen to the empire and rotj openings to see what I mean.

It was almost the same as TFA's opening crawl in terms of how it sounds and loudness.

The end credits were definitely louder and bassier than TFA's end credits, though.

I had hoped that this would be the first great Star Wars thing since the first trilogy, which I love dearly, but it didn't live up to that.

I liked it overall but it felt very messy and left me with very scattered opinions. There are moments where it touches on greatness but probably more where it falls far short of it. Especially one plot line felt very prequelish and didn't suit me at all.

There were some very interesting character build ups but ultimately I didn't really like where it went in the end for the most important part.

As I said my thoughts are scattered and I'm not at all sure where to grade this. The worrisome part is that the more I think about it, the more the bad parts are what pops up. I'm not sure if I'd like it more or less on a second viewing. I don't think liked it enough to see it more than once in the theater though, so that will probably have to wait.

Given how many of my favorite moments (although not all, and perhaps not my favorite moment) had to do with classic Star Wars characters and themes I fear that the movie lives more on my old love of the franchise than what it does for me on its own.

I enjoyed it. The humor was good and felt less forced than it was in TFA.

I liked that they went in a unexpected directions by
killing Snoke & Phasma, having Kylo Ren double down on the dark side and Rey being revealed to be descended from no one special.

The movie is possibly this trilogy version of The Empire Strikes back in terms of the heroes being on the back foot and things not necessarily going the way they hoped.

I liked Luke outsmarting Kylo Ren.

The Chewbie and Porgs stuff was funny. I especially though the scenes of him trying to eat roasted Porgs funny. Rey catching shade from he caretaker women for destroying the sacred Jedi island was funny too.

Del Toro did his usual quirky amoral act with DJ. I wonder Finn and Rose will crosspaths with him in the next movie and get some justice?

For the most part I agree. I'd probably give it like a 7.5 maybe 8/10 though lol.

I enjoyed it. The humor was good and felt less forced than it was in TFA.

I liked that they went in a unexpected directions by
killing Snoke & Phasma, having Kylo Ren double down on the dark side and Rey being revealed to be descended from no one special.

WHile I don't mind that in the long run, when both those things happened I was pissed! After so much build up and then just that? It felt like a waste.

Just got back. Absolutely fantastic. It’s rare that a much-hyped blockbuster lives up to the hype, but this did, and more. Will require several more viewings to soak it all in. Great heart, great humor, great action. A rare 10/10.

Very forgettable, im worried there giving Rian Johnson 3 more after this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"