The Captain Marvel User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

6 out of 10. The biggest compliment I can give is that it was a cohesive film throughout.

Overall it felt flat, plain and kind of boring. I liked the Kree world and some of the visuals in the beginning, Captain Marvel as a character was also fine and in hindsight all the vitriol against her seem exaggerated to say the least.(Maybe Brie public and outspoken image motivated harsher reactions than anything else.) Fury was alright and the rest of the supporting cast where average at best. The bait and switch thing with the villain/s was a bit of a non event and it really didn’t register in an impactful way for me, the story then lacked a good or strong villain to contend with… The drama beats where decent while the humor was just plain.

I honestly think that the biggest issue for this film was the flat and for the most part uninspired direction because some of the visuals, the basic through line and overall cohesion was there, it just needed more “salt and pepper”, maybe less things into play and a sharper/funnier script.

It’s kind of a phase 1 film too and if we just compare it with other MCU origin stories then it doesn’t stand out as much like a sore thumb. Captain Marvel coming out at the height of phase 3 doesn’t do it any favors because the bar was so high at that point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"