Stephen King's The Stand on CBS All Access

I like how it looks. I think it'll be better than the old miniseries.

I like how it looks. I think it'll be better than the old miniseries.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm not exactly expecting a masterpiece on the level of the book, but it can at least do better than the 90's incarnation, which does have its strengths.

The Stand Heads For NYCC
Posted: September 21, 2020, 08:20:58
Section: TV » The Stand
The Stand cast members Whoopi Goldberg, James Marsden, Odessa Young, Javan Adepo, Owen Teague, Amber Heard and Greg Kinnear will appear with Benjamin Cavell (showrunner) and Taylor Elmore (executive producer) on a virtual panel from NYCC. NYCC happens October 8 – 11.

Ej52yyPXgAIiWbd.jpg

Last edited:
Does this look... cheap to anyone else? I was expecting something a little more epic ie. the book.

Yeah, it doesn't look to me like a huge upgrade over what we got back in the 90's outside of the fact that obviously the CGI will be an improvement. Still has a cheesy made for tv vibe to the trailer which is kind of inexcusable given that for the most part prestige television has made huge leaps forward in the last 15 years. I'll definitely watch it but the trailers and the creative team aren't exactly making me as excited about this as I should be considering the Stand is probably my favorite Stephen King novel.

Does this look... cheap to anyone else? I was expecting something a little more epic ie. the book.

I don't know, it looked fairly epic to me. At least relative to the platform it's on.

It looks fine except for the scenes clearly shot on a set.

I like the cast a lot though
I don't know, it looked fairly epic to me. At least relative to the platform it's on.
Isn't CBS All Access home to Star Trek Discovery? This doesn't look as epic as that at all

Trailer was a significant improvement on the 30 second-ish teaser. Still doesn’t look like The Stand that exists in my head, but I gave up hope for that as soon as I learned this wasn’t happening on HBO or Netflix. Still, I’m on-board.

It looks fine except for the scenes clearly shot on a set.

I like the cast a lot though

Isn't CBS All Access home to Star Trek Discovery? This doesn't look as epic as that at all

That's what I mean, it should.

On the surface, The Stand deserves better.

If the '90s miniseries got a little corny, particularly with Flagg, this comes across as a bit dry. But even if it's not everything I could possibly want from The Stand, I can appreciate getting two different takes on the novel. I mean, it looks good, just not great like the book.

Am I alone in thinking Skarsgard looks to be badly miscast as Flagg? Or, the writers rewrote the character to be more menacing. Which is an interpretation of the character I've never understood. Like, Randall Flagg is a goofy character. If anything, he's Negan from The Walking Dead, albeit with superpowers.

I think Skarsgard looks kickass. I just hope they don’t put him in monster makeup like they did with Jamey Sheridan.

I wouldn't call Flagg from The Stand goofy. He wasn't brooding or anything like that, but I thought Dacre Montgomery's strutting, intense Billy Hargrove in Stranger Things would be a better fit than the actually kind of goofy Sheridan version. Negan's closer, but still not quite right to me.

That said, he did get a little goofier in the later Dark Tower books, but I don't consider that a strength of those books.

I don’t know, maybe goofy isn’t the right word, but there's definitely a "joyousness" from Book!Flagg that's missing here. Everything Flagg does should be done with a smile on his face. So far this Flagg is talking very slow, with seriousness to him.

I don’t know, maybe goofy isn’t the right word, but there's definitely a "joyousness" from Book!Flagg that's missing here. Everything Flagg does should be done with a smile on his face. So far this Flagg is talking very slow, with seriousness to him.

I'm not going to say that Skarsgard looks like my idea of Flagg brought to life, although I imagine I'll enjoy him in the role more than Sheridan. As far as smiling goes, though, I'm concerned less with Flagg smiling enough than with him serving as a representation of seductive evil, and in doing so feeling dangerous like he felt in the book. I mentioned Billy Hargrove, but Chris Hemsworth's character in Bad Times at the El Royale had that quality of being charismatic and at times even superficially nice, but you could still tell he was dangerous. I see Flagg as someone who some people would be drawn to but others would recognize as trouble right away, and that's not the easiest line to walk for an actor.

I don't know if Skarsgard can manage that, but ultimately I'd rather have a Flagg I can take seriously than one who just seems like a clown. Incidentally, I mentioned before (elsewhere?) that I liked Aaron Taylor-Johnson for the role, and that was before I saw him in Noctural Animals. He would be genuinely frightening as Flagg.

Exactly, you nailed it. I get wanting a more serious Flagg, but I find that to be a fairly boring take on the character. What makes him scary is how he's able to turn on a dime and go from being a buffoon to being terrifying.

I feel like Jamey Sheridan gets hate for his take on Flagg, yet I feel he's pretty much faithful to the tone of the character.

As King describes him in the book

…and now it was the shaggy face of a demon lolling just above her face, a demon with glaring yellow lamps for eyes, windows into a hell never even considered, and still there was that awful good humor in them, eyes that had watched down the crooked alleys of a thousand tenebrous night towns; those eyes were glaring and glinting and finally stupid.

I'm not going to say that Skarsgard looks like my idea of Flagg brought to life, although I imagine I'll enjoy him in the role more than Sheridan. As far as smiling goes, though, I'm concerned less with Flagg smiling enough than with him serving as a representation of seductive evil, and in doing so feeling dangerous like he felt in the book. I mentioned Billy Hargrove, but Chris Hemsworth's character in Bad Times at the El Royale had that quality of being charismatic and at times even superficially nice, but you could still tell he was dangerous. I see Flagg as someone who some people would be drawn to but others would recognize as trouble right away, and that's not the easiest line to walk for an actor.

Yeah, I couldn't help picturing Flagg when I watched that movie. The charismatic, joyous cult leader is a great template for Flagg, to kind of lean into the religious overtones of the book. I don't get a whole lot of that kind of joy when I look at Skarsgard, but that might not be the case in the finished product. Flagg is the kind of villain that takes delight in the malfeasance he commits, but there are other ways of communicating that than having him with a Joker-esque smile all the time.

Compare The Cast Of The Stand 1994 With 2020
Posted: November 13, 2020, 08:20:00
Section: TV » The Stand
Check out this side-by-side comparison between the cast of 1994’s version of The Stand and the new upcoming version. Please note one error though. Trashcan Man is NOT played by Marilyn Manson. This is a rumor that for some reason stuck…

Copied from Lilja's Library: Lilja's Library - The World of Stephen King [1996 - 2020]

Must say for a tv-series from the 90's the original show had a pretty impressive cast with names like Rob Lowe, Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald and others. It even had Ed Harris in a small role

I'll be honest, this kind of looks like the 2020 equivalent of the 90's show. It has that similar cheap television look to it. Which is ironic given how far tv has come in production value. It's like we've come full circle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"