Storm Shadow to play an even bigger role in GI Joe 2

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
News

Allkpop has posted a new article which states that actor Lee Byung Hun, AKA Storm Shadow from G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra, will have a more substantial role in G.I. Joe 2. Also listed is the tentative start for filming this year, and pending release date in 2012:

Korean actor Lee Byung Hun is set to receive a more substantial role in the sequel to G.I. Joe.

The character of Storm Shadow, played by the IRIS star, will be given more emphasis in the upcoming sequel to 2009’s G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Paramount Pictures acknowledged that Lee’s work contributed much to the success of the first film and are developing more stories around his character. Lee has been getting much attention outside of the Korean market recently for his roles in G.I. Joe and last years I Come with the Rain, where he starred along side Josh Hartnett and Japanese actor Takuya Kimura.

Filming for the sequel is scheduled to begin in August with a pending 2012 release.

Will Storm Shadow reveal to Snake Eyes that he did not kill the Hard Master? This was shown not only in the G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra Official Movie Adaptation by IDW Publishing but was also confirmed by Stephen Sommers in an interview prior to the premiere of the movie last year. Will Storm Shadow defect to the G.I. Joe team?

Although I wasn't pleased to see ROC's interpretation of Storm Shadow, as my favorite character I do wish he'd be improved upon in the sequel (since we all knew he'd be back), and this news seems to indicate that it'd indeed happen. Now I just need another news that confirms Baroness will return to the Cobra, and people like Duke will stop calling her "Anna". :whatever:

Still not convinced this sequel will happen, but if it does this is the right way to go about it, both Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow should really be the main focus of GIJ2, i'd say Snake Eyes even more so.

It'd be interesting to know how SS knew who SE despite SE wearing a mask, yeah, I know he saw the symbol on SE's sword of the ninja clan, but how did he know it was Snake Eyes? It could have been any number of Ninja's trained by them over the years.

Get into their history more, it is a shame they missed a lot of oppurtunities to add to their history by havings the kids storyline, but they can still go places with it IMO.

I'd like to see Storm Shadow defect to GI Joe team; he did it in the comics & toy line for many years, but reverted back to Cobra recently. It'd be cool to acknowledge that in the sequel.

Still not convinced this sequel will happen, but if it does this is the right way to go about it, both Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow should really be the main focus of GIJ2, i'd say Snake Eyes even more so.

It'd be interesting to know how SS knew who SE despite SE wearing a mask, yeah, I know he saw the symbol on SE's sword of the ninja clan, but how did he know it was Snake Eyes? It could have been any number of Ninja's trained by them over the years.

Get into their history more, it is a shame they missed a lot of oppurtunities to add to their history by havings the kids storyline, but they can still go places with it IMO.

I disagree with these statements. This is not 'The Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow Show'. The movie got it right the first time round by keeping the focus on the fight against Cobra and keeping Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's relationship a notable side plot. Otherwise, this will turn into another X-Men movie with Snake Eyes being the new Wolverine. It's an ensemble movie and let's keep it that way.

As for not going into their full history, it was not immediately relevant to the movie. By not fully delving into their history, this allows them to further explore it down the road when it might be more plot relevant rather than a whole lot of useless fluff. What we saw in the movie basically gave the audience enough of an explanation why these two blood brothers seem to hate one another and why they're on opposite sides.

I disagree with these statements. This is not 'The Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow Show'. The movie got it right the first time round by keeping the focus on the fight against Cobra and keeping Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow's relationship a notable side plot. Otherwise, this will turn into another X-Men movie with Snake Eyes being the new Wolverine. It's an ensemble movie and let's keep it that way.

As for not going into their full history, it was not immediately relevant to the movie. By not fully delving into their history, this allows them to further explore it down the road when it might be more plot relevant rather than a whole lot of useless fluff. What we saw in the movie basically gave the audience enough of an explanation why these two blood brothers seem to hate one another and why they're on opposite sides.

I gotta agree with you.:yay:

i though storm shadow was the best part of the movie. the actor really took it seriously cause it was his "Big" international opportunity.

i do think the F***ed up by not hiring 2 teenage SE and SS actors. didn't seem like much time had passed since first meeting. they should have built up a relationship before the fall out.

Kinda like growing up how you thought Darth Vader was some fallen angel that fell to the dark side after being some UBER well respected jedi.
Then the prequels came out and he was some punk kid who lost his girlfriend and got seduced by the old creepy guy from family guy.

But speaking from a personal point of view, those were the only 2 characters I found interesting in the movie, and it seems thats the case with a lot of people also, so I personally want them to focus on those characters.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46918581@N08/4320613237/in/set-72157623492218628/
set-72157623492218628

The sequel will happen, they made G.I.Joe to be a movie franchise like transformers, you will get probably 3 movies then that will be it. Transformers will get a 3rd movie but after that it will just not happen.

The sequel will happen, they made G.I.Joe to be a movie franchise like transformers, you will get probably 3 movies then that will be it. Transformers will get a 3rd movie but after that it will just not happen.

Sorry, but it just doesnt work like that, if TF3 makes over $900 million world-wide, do you really think they will stop? Not a chance.

The GIJ sequel isnt definately going forward either, the 1st one didnt even make its budget back from the box office, but merchandise may be the franchises saving grace.

Sorry, but it just doesnt work like that, if TF3 makes over $900 million world-wide, do you really think they will stop? Not a chance.

The GIJ sequel isnt definately going forward either, the 1st one didnt even make its budget back from the box office, but merchandise may be the franchises saving grace.

Actually, it's pretty hard to estimate the precise profitability of a movie as an outsider these days. Aside from box office sales, there's also DVD sales to take into account. Then, there's merchandising and joint ventures (e.g. video games, toys, etc). On top of that, there's product placement; advertisers pumping into the budget money that the movie doesn't need to recover.

With G.I. Joe, this is a major factor. I suspect Hasbro contributed a fair sum of the budget. And they will again for the sequel since doing so for the first movie was what helped it remain (I think it was) the only toy company that so gains during the poor economy.

Actually, it's pretty hard to estimate the precise profitability of a movie as an outsider these days. Aside from box office sales, there's also DVD sales to take into account. Then, there's merchandising and joint ventures (e.g. video games, toys, etc). On top of that, there's product placement; advertisers pumping into the budget money that the movie doesn't need to recover.

With G.I. Joe, this is a major factor. I suspect Hasbro contributed a fair sum of the budget. And they will again for the sequel since doing so for the first movie was what helped it remain (I think it was) the only toy company that so gains during the poor economy.

Well, I hope this is all all true, because I really want a sequel, but based on Box Office alone, it wasnt profitable. The dvd has sold well, but not spectacularly.

There will be a direct sequel.
Box Office #'s are just a fraction of the $$$ made on the franchise (toys, merchandising) Hasbro is a money monster...

Hopefully new writers will make the SS/SE story a pivotal arc in the storyline.

^Not to a movie company it isnt, i'm sure Hasbro had a good share of the profits from the merchandising as well, so Paramount wouldnt have made that much on it, otherwise we would have heard more by now.

The lack of news is worrying to say the least.

It's only been a month since the writers were announced, I think that the movie deserves quite a bit more time before we start saying "it's in trouble." Paramount did get a decent chunk of revenue from the merchandise, and with the shared revenues between both them and Hasbro they both made out quite handsomely. Not as much as with Transformers, but still better than most of Paramount's other films that year. Even Star Trek, which did better than GI Joe at the box office did not have nearly as much going for it in terms of merchandising. The toys existed and did sell, but they were not nearly as popular with kids as the GI Joe toys were. Star Trek is getting a sequel, and all things considered I think GI Joe will as well. I doubt Paramount would have already hired two of the industry's hottest new writers if they hadn't already at least somewhat made up their minds about the future of the franchise.

^Star Trek's sequel is much further along than the GI Joe one though, ST has a release date and everything, all we have heard about GIJ is there are writers, there has literally been nothing else.

I dont think they should focus on Storm shadow. I think the first film blanced it all right

I really want to see this sequel sooner than later

^I think with people, myself included, finding Storm Shadow and especially Snake-Eyes the most interesting characters in the 1st movie, it would make sense for them to focus on those 2 a bit more in the sequel. I personally hope it does go this route, if it ever gets made.

but if they did bring back storm shadow then the whole movie was just bad fighting...

the movie should of read G.I.JOE - No important characters were killed in the making of this confusing yet stylish movie!

See Shadow storm was impailed into freezing cold icewater... covergirl was the only other G.I.Joe that actually snuffed it but her role wasnt that too important.

I think shadow storm should stay dead and introduce stalker...

^Na he has to return, a Ninja could survive in those conditions, easily, and given sufficient recovery time, he would be back to normal soon enough.

It was the most interesting relationship in the movie, and I think they know this, so I have no doubt he'll be back.

put them in a spin -off franchise

^I think they would have plenty of time to get more into the relationship in a team movie without it over-shadowing the story, more flashbacks can be used at the end of the day, I hope they show a bit more of the rivalry developing over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"