Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still a stupid system.

My guess is the system is largely ceremonial, with the open challenge filling the same role as the "speak now or forever hold your peace" opportunity for objection in TV and movie marriage ceremonies. Remember, it was a surprise to the celebrants when M'Baku and the Jabari crashed the ceremony and took Zuri up on his offer.

Wakanda is very much a warrior culture, so the strongest warrior should be leader (by the logic of their civilization). It makes sense to me.

That was kind of the point, by my reading. Traditions are tactically stupid, but culturally meaningful. Without a balance, if traditions are reduced to what is most tactful, you get a Killmonger, who protects nothing and attacks everything and destroys himself. If traditions are always honored regardless of what is tactically superior, you get a T'Challa, who attempts to protect everything and fails to protect that which matters most.

That was kind of the point, by my reading. Traditions are tactically stupid, but culturally meaningful. Without a balance, if traditions are reduced to what is most tactful, you get a Killmonger, who protects nothing and attacks everything and destroys himself. If traditions are always honored regardless of what is tactically superior, you get a T'Challa, who attempts to protect everything and fails to protect that which matters most.

:up:

It's a warrior society in a fantasy, and theoretically outside of T'Challa, Killmonger and M'Baku, the members of the Dora Milage might be capable of challenging if they wanted to. At least it's better than the modern U.S. election system where it seems there are no prerequsities at all to be a leader!

It's a warrior society in a fantasy, and theoretically outside of T'Challa, Killmonger and M'Baku, the members of the Dora Milage might be capable of challenging if they wanted to. At least it's better than the modern U.S. election system where it seems there are no prerequsities at all to be a leader!

Yes there is. Be popular and have money :hehe:

Obviously it's fantasy, but you would think an advanced society like Wakanda would have moved past that. They may be on the cusp, though, because the younger generation (T'Challa's sister) doesn't care for it. Next movie is called Black Panther: Constitutional Monarchy.

Obviously it's fantasy, but you would think an advanced society like Wakanda would have moved past that. They may be on the cusp, though, because the younger generation (T'Challa's sister) doesn't care for it. Next movie is called Black Panther: Constitutional Monarchy.

Sorry, but within the culture of Wakanda, this makes sense. It seems like your passing judgement on their culture and judging it based on what we deem "smart or best" in our culture. Who says our ways are best? Isn't that one of the big points of the movie?

I don't think the movie is taking a stance on whether or not that's justified. By that logic it's justifying monarchy over parliamentary democracies.

I’m sure there are plenty of cultures in real life that have traditions that we, as outsiders, would deem stupid, outdated, or in conflict with even their own modern views. That’s why it’s their culture and not ours.

I've vacationed in Wakanda and Zamunda.

I wonder if the sequel will delve into Tchalla trying to change the system ala Ta Nehisi Coates run.

Sorry, but within the culture of Wakanda, this makes sense. It seems like your passing judgement on their culture and judging it based on what we deem "smart or best" in our culture. Who says our ways are best? Isn't that one of the big points of the movie?

Well yeah I'm passing judgement because I don't think appointing a monarch based on their physical prowess is a smart thing to do. They should be appointed for their ideas and leadership qualities. This totally makes sense, especially after T'Challa united all of the tribes again and they're really not in the business of fighting anyone.

Clearly in the context of the story the current system has worked out for them, because the writer wanted it to be so, but if you gave people a list of processes by which to choose the leader of a country I don't think anyone would pick this one.

Last edited:
Well yeah I'm passing judgement because I don't think appointing a monarch based on their physical prowess is a smart thing to do. They should be appointed for their ideas and leadership qualities.

There's compelling evidence that a waterfall fight is a far superior method for picking a nation's leader than the US electoral college.

There's compelling evidence that a waterfall fight is a far superior method for picking a nation's leader than the US electoral college.

Just anecdotal evidence :o

Probably based on the idea that one of the requirements for the monarch in a country is to be strong enough to protect.

There's a time and place for everything. I'm an atheist, but I don't go into Daredevil expecting to hear arguments against religion. Same goes for Black Panther. Maybe there's other cultural aspects they can address in sequels, but this movie wasn't the time and place for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"