Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - Part 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a warrior society in a fantasy, and theoretically outside of T'Challa, Killmonger and M'Baku, the members of the Dora Milage might be capable of challenging if they wanted to. At least it's better than the modern U.S. election system where it seems there are no prerequsities at all to be a leader!

Are there any educational or professional requirements to become an MP? The House of Lords only requires the right heredity, as I understand it, unless life peers are included. Literally fighting for leadership posts would have spared you Johnson, Farage and a slew of other less than perfect public servants.

If we'd like to discuss how fighting for the throne isn't an ideal way to choose a country leader, let's have some fun with [blackout]people of Wakanda having serial numbers marked inside their mouths as proof of belonging to their country and be proud of it. Kinda similar to salve number marks on peoples skin.[/blackout]

Given that, in this fictional world, the King of Wakanda also typically takes on the mantle of Black Panther as well, who does use physical prowess and strength to protect Wakanda and it's interests (at least initially - until a worthy successor or heir comes along and can take up that mantle when perhaps older age interferes with that aspect), I think the challenge at the falls is fitting. It's not just about proving your worthiness as a king, but proving that you have the will and strength (even without the heart shaped herb) to fight for and protect your nation and your people.

At least, that's the way I see it. Just my opinion/take on it - of course. I had no problem with the idea of the challenge or the fact that - even with their advanced technology - they still hold fast to the traditions and beliefs of their culture.

True. Only Batman is real.

A "real" Batman wouldn't last a week on the streets of any American city. Even the kids have assault rifles. Someone puts a few rounds into Batman's stupidly uncovered face and Alfred would be left explaining why Bruce Wayne needed a closed-coffin funeral. :funny:

Isn't the tradition
dead now that all of the pink flowers are destroyed?

A "real" Batman wouldn't last a week on the streets of any American city. Even the kids have assault rifles. Someone puts a few rounds into Batman's stupidly uncovered face and Alfred would be left explaining why Bruce Wayne needed a closed-coffin funeral. :funny:
The cape is a distraction to mislead their aim, yo. :oldrazz:

Isn't the tradition
dead now that all of the pink flowers are destroyed?
Maybe.
The chance they are still able to replace the soil and plant new seeds is still there.

Regarding the way they choose their leader in Wakanda.

It also kind of seemed like while the old rules were in place the custom seemed to be that the tribes didn't actually challenge in practice anymore. They all seemed pretty upset and surprised when M'baku chose to challenge.

I didn't have any real interest in that new Krypton show until now:

DWkjy0vXcAIyqPe.jpg

I can't believe how great Krypton's Brainiac looks! :hmr:

Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman (and Trump) are the living embodiment of failing upward.

Are there any educational or professional requirements to become an MP? The House of Lords only requires the right heredity, as I understand it, unless life peers are included. Literally fighting for leadership posts would have spared you Johnson, Farage and a slew of other less than perfect public servants.

Not as far as I know. But you’d need experience to get anywhere more senior rather than being able to go straight to the top job from reality TV! Yes haha, plus it would have been entertaining to watch them all in a Royal Rumble match. ;)

Mjölnir;36358393 said:
Regarding the way they choose their leader in Wakanda.

It also kind of seemed like while the old rules were in place the custom seemed to be that the tribes didn't actually challenge in practice anymore. They all seemed pretty upset and surprised when M'baku chose to challenge.

It was probably because of who was challenging as opposed to the challenge being invoked itself. M'Baku and Jabari lived separately from the other Wakandans and had conflicting cultures, so the idea of one of them possibly being the next Wakandan king would be of great concern. Ramonda even said at one point that M'Baku could be even worse than Killmonger.

It was probably because of who was challenging as opposed to the challenge being invoked itself. M'Baku and Jabari lived separately from the other Wakandans and had conflicting cultures, so the idea of one of them possibly being the next Wakandan king would be of great concern. Ramonda even said at one point that M'Baku could be even worse than Killmonger.

That's certainly possible with the limited information we have,
but I did get the impression that the other tribes just saw the opportunity as a formality. That's something that's at least not contradicted by what we know,
unless I've forgotten something. Perhaps later films will shed more light on the issue, although it will probably be more in passing if so as I doubt they will repeat this story beat.

Mjölnir;36358959 said:
That's certainly possible with the limited information we have,
but I did get the impression that the other tribes just saw the opportunity as a formality. That's something that's at least not contradicted by what we know,
unless I've forgotten something. Perhaps later films will shed more light on the issue, although it will probably be more in passing if so as I doubt they will repeat this story beat.

That's my take as well. It was a ceremonial event that the [BLACKOUT]Jabari[/BLACKOUT]crashed.

We can tell the rite is largely ceremonial from Shuri's glib 'let's get it over with' and Ramonda's mild chiding (and some laughter from the gallery).

It's also the fact that these movies aren't real (hello !) and can and should be interpreted as metaphors.

The central thesis, the universal unifying theme, of superhero movies is that violence is the best tool to solve problems. All or nearly all superhero movies rely on violent climaxes, with the hero defeating his adversary using punches.

Given that it's fiction, it's necessarily metaphor. Within the real world "heir apparent" don't rely on duels to defend, they might offer the opportunity to debate and to campaign, or to lobby within a ruling class.

That's hard to show on screen in the context of a two hour movie, so it gets distilled as combat. Partly because it's efficient, and also likely partly because it satisfies our own internal blood lust right now. The world is falling apart and many of us instinctively wish that a benevolent strongman (like Black Panther or Iron Man) could come in, beat the **** out of the bad guys, and then fix things. We know that this can't be, so we indulge in this vicariously via superhero movies.

I predict that the greater the level of systemic and unresolvable failure within society, the greater will be the public demand to indulge in superhero narratives. Do recall that Superman started off as a Great Depression comic where he beat up bankers.

Arguing that the succession fights "don't make sense" misses the point entirely as none of the MCU "makes sense" when taken literally. Ray guns, Asgard, infinity stones, etc it's all fiction that is best interpreted as metaphor if one wishes to interpret it at all.

I'd love to see a superhero movie with no violence.

I was thinking about this a few days ago actually - when will we get a superhero movie without a villain? I don't mean that in the sense of, "oh, turns out the bad guy was actually sympathetic", I mean straight up no bad guy period. The hero is racing the clock, or fighting against the elements, or battling some inner-struggle, etc.

I was thinking about this a few days ago actually - when will we get a superhero movie without a villain? I don't mean that in the sense of, "oh, turns out the bad guy was actually sympathetic", I mean straight up no bad guy period. The hero is racing the clock, or fighting against the elements, or battling some inner-struggle, etc.

That won't happen, LOL! Can't sell an action figure of a hurricane, LOL! It would have to be some art film with a new character.

But if we were doing a Marvel film, something based on the Death of Captain Marvel would work

That won't happen, LOL! Can't sell an action figure of a hurricane, LOL! It would have to be some art film with a new character.

But if we were doing a Marvel film, something based on the Death of Captain Marvel would work

It'd certainly have to be a lower-budget, Logan type movie that doesn't have a plethora of lunchboxes and action figures to sell. Still though, I'd like to see it done at some point. It'd be an interesting way to shake up the standard formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"