Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - Part 48

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of movies and gross it's Star Wars. I think if you add merchandising than it might be MCU.

What is the 2nd most succesful cinematic universe?

The DCEU by default, if we're strictly talking cinematic universes that started after the MCU was established.

Star Wars

Bond, I would imagine, in terms of imersively being 'relevant' over a long period of time.

Personally, I don't consider Star Wars a cinematic universe but an argument could be made for it. Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts is more of a cinematic universe, since it even has the "Wizarding World" brand name. It's tough to put either of them in the "cinematic universe" category because they were established franchises long before anyone had the idea to branch them out as cinematic universes.

As for Bond, that isn't a cinematic universe, it's a franchise. There's only been one set of films. If they decide to make spinoff movies about Q or Felix Leiter, then it would be a cinematic universe.

The MCU movies have collectively made more money than the Star Wars films.
From December 2015 until today, SW collected $4.457 Billion+ from three movies.
Starting from May 1 2015, MCU gathered $7.651 Billion from eight movies.

Based on B.O income alone, Star Wars has a better average than MCU for this time frame.

From December 2015 until today, SW collected $4 Billion+ from three movies.
Starting from May 1 2015, MCU gathered $7.651 Billion from eight movies.

Based on B.O income alone, Star Wars has a better average than MCU for this time frame.

MCU films as a whole have grossed $14.8 billion and counting. Star Wars films as a whole have grossed $8.8 billion and counting.

Time frames? Of course The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are gonna make more money than Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. It's how much each franchise has made, not a comparison within a smaller fraction of time since each franchise has started.

If Star Wars is considered a franchise, then in terms of popularity and popular culture it's easily #1. However, in terms of $ strictly for it's movies, MCU has made more money of course, with inflation Star Wars is considered the #2 top grossing movie of all time behind Gone With the Wind.

I'm curious how much Star Wars series has grossed with inflation.

From December 2015 until today,

See how you're changing the rules to prove your point? The average gross of each film since 2015?

Like Drizzle said, anything with the name "Star Wars" is going to outgross most Marvel movies but that isn't what we're debating. The MCU is undoubtedly the most successful cinematic universe as it has collectively made more money than any other.

MCU films as a whole have grossed $14.8 billion and counting. Star Wars films as a whole have grossed $8.8 billion and counting.

Time frames? Of course The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are gonna make more money than Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. It's how much each franchise has made, not a comparison within a smaller fraction of time since each franchise has started.
$14.8 billion out of 18 films is lesser on average when compared to what Star Wars brought in as a financial powerhouse.

I'm curious how much Star Wars series has grossed with inflation.
According to this site, it brought in $1,635,137,900 domestically.

I guess I meant outside of the MCU and Star Wars. What’s next?

MCU is the biggest cinematic universe to me in breadth while SW is the biggest in terms of a focused line with the Episode films being unbeatable (although post TLJ we’ll have to see).

See how you're changing the rules to prove your point? The average gross of each film since 2015?

Like Drizzle said, anything with the name "Star Wars" is going to outgross most Marvel movies but that isn't what we're debating. The MCU is undoubtedly the most successful cinematic universe as it has collectively made more money than any other.
No rules were changed, I selected a suitable timeframe to compare. Avengers: Age of Ultron is the immediate follow up to the successes of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1. The Force Awakens hit people by a surprise after 10 years of no new movies in the franchise, succeeding a trilogy of disappointments.

The Phantom Menace passed the $1 billion mark back then, but was a critical disappointment. Its immediate sequel ended up grossing a bit more than half a billion dollars and was less accepted by audience. The third movie in that trilogy is better received, but gained $100+ million more.

The original trilogy was consistent in gaining more than $475 million dollars a movie in international markets back then. Given the income from adjusted to inflation figures I posted above, this franchise hit a significantly greater average income per movie when compared to MCU.

The two franchises were compared here by total grossing of all their movies. Bigger Box Office figures from double the number of movies does not equate greater success when the average is smaller.

Last edited:
No rules were changed, I selected a suitable timeframe to compare. Avengers: Age of Ultron is the immediate follow up to the successes of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy vol 1. The Force Awakens hit people by a surprise after 10 years of no new movies in the franchise, succeeding a trilogy of disappointments.

The Phantom Menace passed the $1 billion mark back then, but was a critical disappointment. Its immediate sequel ended up grossing a bit more than half a billion dollars and was less accepted by audience. The third movie in that trilogy is better received, but gained $100+ million more.

The original trilogy was consistent in gaining more than $730 million dollars a movie in international markets back then. Given the income from adjusted to inflation figures I posted above, this franchise hit a significantly greater average income per movie when compared to MCU.

The two franchises were compared here by total grossing of all their movies. Bigger Box Office figures from double the number of movies does not equate greater success when the average is smaller.

When people talk about success in Hollywood they mean money, and the most successful franchise is going to be the one that makes the most money. Period, end of statement.

You can qualify things all you'd like but just know that pretty much no one is going to go by your standard. Want proof? Go ahead and google "most successful film franchises" and see what comes up.

When people talk about success in Hollywood they mean money, and the most successful franchise is going to be the one that makes the most money. Period, end of statement.

You can qualify things all you'd like but just know that pretty much no one is going to go by your standard. Want proof? Go ahead and google "most successful film franchises" and see what comes up.
1. I did express it by money.
2. You think the way you do, but I'm not the only one to think this way.
3. If your definition is just the figures that come in under this name, you skip looking at the bigger picture.

You aren't? I haven't seen anyone else that does. But even so it doesn't matter because the overwhelming majority of people would agree with me. Again, check google. That's my entire point and it's worth bringing up generally agreed upon standards in conversations like this.

Last edited:
Success isn't all based on money, success is a subjective notion, Hollywood or otherwise.

You aren't? I haven't seen anyone else that does. But even so it doesn't matter because the overwhelming majority of people would agree with me. Again, check google. That's my entire point and it's worth bringing up generally agreed upon standards in conversations like this.
So? I haven't seen some of the things you've seen, doesn't mean I should dismiss them when you talk about them, or say you change the rules to please your view.

1. MCU - Currently firing on all cylinders with potential to keep it up
2. Star Wars - #1 in name, and fame interesting to see whats after Episode 9
3. James Bond - 25 movies and still going is no easy feat
4. Harry Potter - so far so good
5. Star Trek - Haven't seen the TV show yet, but the movies were good.
6. Batman - DC most success and popular character
7. DCEU - WW is great - the rest made some money

1. I did express it by money.
3. If your definition is just the figures that come in under this name, you skip looking at the bigger picture.

The New England Patriots in 2007 averaged 36.8 points per game. The New York Giants averaged 23.3, and the Giants ended the season Super Bowl Champions. Averages don't matter when making these types of lists. The MCU is the highest grossing franchise. That's not arguable. Now, if we're making a list of what franchise averages the most per installment, sure star Wars wins, but that is not the discussion. The discussion is highest grossing franchise, and that has a point blank answer. You're trying to use an answer to a different question.

The New England Patriots in 2007 averaged 36.8 points per game. The New York Giants averaged 23.3, and the Giants ended the season Super Bowl Champions. Averages don't matter when making these types of lists. The MCU is the highest grossing franchise. That's not arguable. Now, if we're making a list of what franchise averages the most per installment, sure star Wars wins, but that is not the discussion. The discussion is highest grossing franchise, and that has a point blank answer. You're trying to use an answer to a different question.
The question is more successful film franchise, this doesn't go by sports rules of who wins the final match wins the trophy.
MCU is on its way to turn that around in its favor, but as things are now though Star Wars is the stronger franchise.

The question is more successful film franchise, this doesn't go by sports rules of who wins the final match wins the trophy.
MCU is on its way to turn that around in its favor, but as things are now though Star Wars is the stronger franchise.

Success = $$$ in business. Again, that answer is the MCU. Star Wars would be most successful by average

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"