• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would pick Lord/Miller as top pick. Raimi 2nd. Webb I don't think has it in him. Watts I think showed me more ingenuity last movie in the spectacle department, but this is a tall order. Hope he proves me wrong on this being a crap idea.

Hm, this is gonna be interesting. Much like how DC and Marvel were going to head to head with their versus films in 2016 it seems like the two are on another collision course with this multiverse stuff. Keaton and Affleck in the Flash is huge but if Marvel brings Tobey Maguire back for SM3, now thats a grudge match. Tobey and Keaton are both beloved but Tobey’s younger and fresher in audiences’ minds.

Webb definitely wasn't the problem with those movies, I think he did the best he could but overall couldn't do much of the type of things he was most interested in tackling. I feel like a lot of his effort probably had to go to juggling producer's crazy requests. I would like to see Lord/Miller get a shot at a live-action Spidey movie as well, they could do it with some real gusto.

Yeah, if Tobey or Andrew were to suit up again this decade they'd still be relatively not that much older than when they portrayed the character in the past. Tobey could roughly be around the same age as Peter in the Spider-Verse movie.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea actually. I can totally picture Tobey playing that older wiser Peter Parker, sporting a scruffy beard but still maintaining the awe shucks characteristic and mentoring Tom Holland throughout the movie. It would be a great sendoff for his version of Spiderman too.

Not sure about Garfield though, I feel like he’d just be this awkward third wheel in the movie. Lol

To each his own. Although, didnt Garfield leave on bad terms with the Sony chiefs though?

Garfield's the one I liked, but while I wanted another movie in his continuity, following from ASM2 and introducing MJ, I don't care about seeing him brought into the MCU to interact with Holland and Maguire.

I would love to see Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen. It's funny, ASM2 came out in May of 2014 and then a few months later around October of that year Spider-Gwen debuted and made a huge instant splash and I could feel the Sony gears turning behind the scenes already going "DANGIT!"

On a concept level I think a Spider-Verse with focus on Peter instead of the knockoff Spidey sounds good since the animated film was great and you certainly can do something good with it. In practice it's a hard concept to pull off though so if that's indeed where they are going it will be interesting to see how it turns out. It could go either way.

Honestly, I've liked both subsequent versions of Aunt May more than the Raimi version. It's really just one more thing in that trilogy that doesn't click for me. I'd like to see more meat on the current one, but there's a quality to the performance and writing that at least feels a little more human to me. Which is kinda my issue with the Raimi movies on the whole, the characters feel like they're lacking that human quality for me. It's why I wouldn't really be interested in seeing them again, at least outside of J.K. Simmons who's already made the jump.

Except for Willem Dafoe as Green Goblin. If the MCU wants to bring him back like they're doing with Electro, I will be there right away to watch him chew on the green screen.

I think what, in retrospect, feels to me like the biggest weakness of the Raimi Spider-Man movies? They use a set of tones and stylistic techniques that feel straight out of the Donner Superman movies, in the way they structure the feel of their world and the operatic "arch-ness" of their supporting cast. On one level, this is a good decision, since Superman 1 was still the best superhero movie ever at that point. Steal from the best. But on another level. . . ultimately, Spider-Man *isn't* Superman. What works for a character who is all about archetypal symbolism, does not really work for a character who is supposed to be an everyman.

On a concept level I think a Spider-Verse with focus on Peter instead of the knockoff Spidey sounds good since the animated film was great and you certainly can do something good with it. In practice it's a hard concept to pull off though so if that's indeed where they are going it will be interesting to see how it turns out. It could go either way.

Wait a second. Which are you talking about as the "knockoff" Spidey? Miles? Or the Alt-Reality Peter Parker? Because the Alternate Reality Peter Parker is a hell of a lot closer to "standard default Spider-Man" than the heroically deceased Peter Parker in Spiderverse.

I would love to see Emma Stone as Spider-Gwen. It's funny, ASM2 came out in May of 2014 and then a few months later around October of that year Spider-Gwen debuted and made a huge instant splash and I could feel the Sony gears turning behind the scenes already going "DANGIT!"

Stone suiting up would have saved the franchise, no doubt. Give her the injection that Harry was begging for and have both Spiders fight the Osborn Six in ASM3.

Stone suiting up would have saved the franchise, no doubt. Give her the injection that Harry was begging for and have both Spiders fight the Osborn Six in ASM3.
They had to do that dumb "Peter's blood is special cause of his dad so only he could be Spider-Man" thing but they could easily have changed their mind after that since they obviously had no plan for those movies lol.

That would not have saved that dumpster fire of a franchise for me.

That would not have saved that dumpster fire of a franchise for me.

Sony definitely had more work to do. But you bring in a new creative team while hanging onto your A-List co-lead (Now in a cool costume with a hood!) and suddenly the future of the ASM franchise doesn't look nearly so bleak.

Sony definitely had more work to do. But you bring in a new creative team while hanging onto your A-List co-lead (Now in a cool costume with a hood!) and suddenly the future of the ASM franchise doesn't look nearly so bleak.

It wasn't just the creative team, though. The issue at the heart of that franchise was Sony was greedy and wanted to just cram all the things in and get the cinematic universe going. What makes me think a new team on a 3rd movie wouldn't have had issues with massive reshoots and rewrites? I don't. At least with the MCU deal, Feige and co seem to have sway over the product. Though this stuff they're doing now has me worried that we may be repeating past issues.

This probably wont ever happen but coming out of Into the Spiderverse I would absolutely love it if they did a full on animated feature like that focusing on adult Peter Parker in his world.

Lord & Miller is a much higher caliber duo compared to basement bargain bin quality Kurtzman & Orci writing, the day Sony stopped relying on those two for their biggest franchise was some sort of good step forward.

I just want to know when the hell we’re gonna get Norman Osborn. Sitting here patiently like...

View attachment 37816

I need more villains just slapping the hero’s head so casually during a conversation.
:funny:

I adore how the movie did this meme worthy thing and instead of letting it be cringe material, the celebrated and hailed as one of the positive stepping stones in CBM history. When notably inferior movies do something similar people look at such moments and cringe hard and refer to them as part of the reason these movies failed, but this... this is fittingly hailed and admired, and I salute everyone behind it for that.

Wait a second. Which are you talking about as the "knockoff" Spidey? Miles? Or the Alt-Reality Peter Parker? Because the Alternate Reality Peter Parker is a hell of a lot closer to "standard default Spider-Man" than the heroically deceased Peter Parker in Spiderverse.

Miles. It's not that Miles is a bad character, or that it's about him personally, I just don't like the idea of creating copies of existing heroes instead of making new characters stand on their own. That goes even more for the purpose of introducing more female and/or ethnic characters since they shouldn't have to be like other characters to be good.

Miles. It's not that Miles is a bad character, or that it's about him personally, I just don't like the idea of creating copies of existing heroes instead of making new characters stand on their own. That goes even more for the purpose of introducing more female and/or ethnic characters since they shouldn't have to be like other characters to be good.

This. I have zero interest in Miles Morales. Peter Parker is Spider-Man like Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"