• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
God that movie was bad. Also I just don’t buy Affleck as action heroes. He’s awkward.

Did you ever see a movie he did called Paycheck? There are these scenes of him bo staff fighting that are so painfully awkward.

Did you ever see a movie he did called Paycheck? There are these scenes of him bo staff fighting that are so painfully awkward.

I have and I know exactly what scene you’re talking about and how awkward it was, and how the movie tried to tell us how good he was at it :funny:

His BFF Matt Damon is way more believable in fight scenes.

5 years? Yeah. I've seen some wrestlers with incredible physique shrivel up or bloat out in that time frame. His entire lifestyle changed. You make it sound it's like within 1-3 years.
Thor isn't a wrestler and he isn't human.

I have and I know exactly what scene you’re talking about and how awkward it was, and how the movie tried to tell us how good he was at it :funny:

His BFF Matt Damon is way more believable in fight scenes.

Funny enough, he was actually the choice to play Daredevil/Matt Murdock before Affleck.

What’s funny is that I read somewhere that the lead role in Paycheck was also offered to Damon but he turned it down and recommended Affleck for it. The movie probably still would have sucked but at least Damon would have made those stupid staff fighting scenes look half believable, lol.

You guys are all crazy. Daredevil is a top tier CBM. :o
tumblr_inline_p5d1yuhhPu1r5vxkh_500.gifv

David Ayer said a similar thing when he made Bright for Netflix after making Suicide Squad for WB.
I mean, it's been pretty apparent for years that Netflix doesn't give a damn about quality control. The only people who've managed to make good movies for them are legitimate masters - Scorsese, Fincher, Bong Joon Ho and Cuarón. A few gems in a vast sea of absolute garbage. I'm pretty sure just giving people money and saying, "here, make a movie! Have fun!" is how their whole business works. :hehe: I can certainly see the appeal from the creatives' POV.

I mean, it's been pretty apparent for years that Netflix doesn't give a damn about quality control. The only people who've managed to make good movies for them are legitimate masters - Scorsese, Fincher, Bong Joon Ho and Cuarón. A few gems in a vast sea of absolute garbage. I'm pretty sure just giving people money and saying, "here, make a movie! Have fun!" is how their whole business works. :hehe: I can certainly see the appeal from the creatives' POV.
I am going to be that guy, and say my two favorite films that were "released" by Netflix were I Care A lot and The Set Up. The former is from the director of The 5th Wave somehow but the latter belongs to a woman who directed many episodes of Nine-Nine, Glow, The Good Place. Kimmy Schmidt, etc. So she is definitely talented.

You guys are all crazy. Daredevil is a top tier CBM. :o
tumblr_inline_p5d1yuhhPu1r5vxkh_500.gifv
Same here. Especially the seesaw scene.:o
There's no way that playground fight scene was written by a sober person.
God that movie was bad. Also I just don’t buy Affleck as action heroes. He’s awkward.
Jennifer Garner had no business in that movie either. Angelina would’ve been a great Elektra Natchios in that time.
I unironically don't dislike this movie, like that.

The movie probably still would have sucked but at least Damon would have made those stupid staff fighting scenes look half believable, lol.
It still would have been poorly shot, poorly directed, and poorly edited so I he probably would've looked just as stupid.

Thor isn't a wrestler and he isn't human.
Exactly, so there's no rules or even anything plausible about him as an actual living being. Thor is one of the most outlandish superheroes out there, so I don't get the sudden line in the sand about him being able to put on weight.

Last edited:
I unironically don't dislike this movie, like that.
I remember liking it when I first saw it in theaters, but I was still buzzing from Spider-Man the year before and it was pretty hard for me to be disappointed by seeing anything Marvel on the big screen at that time. It isn't very good but I don't mind it so much now because we got a much better interpretation of the character in the show. Affleck actually wasn't bad in it and I really liked Michael Clarke Duncan's Kingpin. I still haven't seen the Directors Cut but by all accounts I hear it's much better.

I remember reading somewhere that Daredevil was originally a more grounded film but after the success of Spider-Man, they did a bunch of reshoots and added a ton of CGI in the fight sequences and stunts. I don’t know if that’s true but if it is, I wonder if the original version would have been less cartoonish.

I think Mike from RLM used a food analogy that pretty well explains the shift. Traditional film releases are like restaurants in that they sell a customer a meal from a menu, but the streaming service model sells you entry to a buffet. Their interest is more in keeping their buffet stocked, not in making sure every option is as appealing as possible.

It's an interesting shift. In theory, giving creatives more freedom is a good thing. In truth, I bet a lot of studio notes are useful and some directors could use some help at times. It's probably a net gain. I'd rather watch an interesting failure than something safe and decent enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"