• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 58

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm lukewarm on Shazam, but I thought Shazam 2 looks fine and very enjoyable, and at the very least, infinitely better than Black Adam.

Lukewarm on Shazam?! Man youre just breaking my heart all over today! :funny:

Shazam’s actually my favorite DCEU movie. Its not Shakespeare or anything but i was really charmed by it. The sequel looks like so much fun IMO

Shazam’s actually my favorite DCEU movie. Its not Shakespeare or anything but i was really charmed by it. The sequel looks like so much fun IMO
The two major issues with Shazam:

1. They made Billy too old for the story.

2. The villain was obviously switched out, leading to a villain lacking in motive and thus threat. He just sort of exist. I wonder who's fault this part is...

Also never forget...

Cavill's thoughts on a compelling story about Kal-El is Red Son. That's the kind of stuff he reads to "get Superman". He's always been a horrible choice, and while I tried to make it work back in 2013 against my better judgement when it came to Snyder, the last decade has just made it clear to me my initial instincts have always been right.

Also, this is happening to stroke Dwayne's ego. Which means they don't give a **** about getting Superman right.
I don't even think that's the worse one...
I'm pretty sure he's talked about in depth about how the story he wants to adapt for a movie is "For Tomorrow". He loves that story, which is so far removed from what the Superman on screen needs. It's just more of the same depressed Clark and speaking to preachers.

You can't tell me this guy doesn't take himself and the role too seriously when that's all he wants to do.

The two major issues with Shazam:

1. They made Billy too old for the story.

2. The villain was obviously switched out, leading to a villain lacking in motive and thus threat. He just sort of exist. I wonder who's fault this part is...

Huh interesting. You really think so? This is the first i’m hearing of this theory. Who do you think it was supposed to be? And yeah Mark Strong does kind of play an Evil McEvilson but I felt he was a functional villain.

It's like wrestling. The Rock is going to put over Cavill, not job to Levi.

Huh interesting. You really think so? This is the first i’m hearing of this theory. Who do you think it was supposed to be? And yeah Mark Strong does kind of play an Evil McEvilson but I felt he was a functional villain.
It was clearly suppose to be Black Adam imo. The script plays out between the "unworthy" and the "perfect heir" to the throne.

Its about damn time a move was made finally. I’m just happy THAT character is back finally.

If WBD brings back THAT character for a proper sequel, they need to get the show runners from THAT CW show to write the script or treatment for the movie. He and AA deserve better material to work with.

I enjoyed Shazam. Truly. It had a lot of heart, which is the most important thing for any superhero flick to have for me. I just tend to be lukewarm on characters who become totally different people in their “super” form. There’s a disconnect that happens there that keeps me from getting too invested. It probably explains why I’ve so far much preferred She-Hulk over anything I’ve seen from her cousin. But regardless, I’m very much looking forward to Shazam 2. That family is adorable.

I enjoyed Shazam. Truly. It had a lot of heart, which is the most important thing for any superhero flick to have for me. I just tend to be lukewarm on characters who become totally different people in their “super” form. There’s a disconnect that happens there that keeps me from getting too invested. It probably explains why I’ve so far much preferred She-Hulk over anything I’ve seen from her cousin. But regardless, I’m very much looking forward to Shazam 2. That family is adorable.
This is why I wanted him to be proper little Billy. So that Chuck's very fun performance didn't feel so dissonant.

Whichever side of the fence you lean on you gotta at least admire one thing guys, at least Dwayne’s getting WB to make SOME kind of moves because lets be honest theyve been sitting on their bums so long and not making any decisions whatsoever about THAT character. Its about damn time a move was made finally. I’m just happy THAT character is back finally.

I'm sorry, The Rock's steroid addled mind is barely (barely) better of a view on the DC universe than Snyder. The reason why he got Cavill back is the exact same reason he doesn't get along with Vin and why he will never share screen with Zach Levi. The Rock fighting a skinny guy in a muscle suit? A funny, happy one when the Rock wants to be Mr. Roid Rage? Please.

It is ego that is fueled by so much of the same views that inform Snyder.

On the subject of that rumored post credits scene:

Henry can be Superman or someone else can be. Ultimately I will judge whatever Superman movies he makes on their own merits. If WB can get a great crew together and they right that ship and it's with Henry as Superman, then great! I am not going to dismiss it out of hand.

That said, for me to be interested.. has to look better than Black Adam does.

This is exactly where I’m at. Maybe a few years ago I would’ve been excited to hear this news, at the moment it’s a “shrug and wait and see” kinda thing. I just want that character to have a good movie in my lifetime!

Shazam’s actually my favorite DCEU movie. It’s not Shakespeare or anything but i was really charmed by it. The sequel looks like so much fun IMO

Same, it’s definitely got some rough edges but overall I adore it. On any given day I’d probably put The Batman, Shazam, or Wonder Woman as my favorite post-Nolan DC film.

ViewerAnon on THAT post-credit scene with THAT character:

zack-snyder-cute.gif

So over or under they spoil this character in a last minute tv spot before the movie comes out? :funny:

I don’t think a lot of fans are watching this for the possibility that he shows up (like Tobey and Andrew in NWH). If the movie’s a hit, I expect them to plaster his cameo in future tv spots after opening weekend.

Whichever side of the fence you lean on you gotta at least admire one thing guys, at least Dwayne’s getting WB to make SOME kind of moves because lets be honest theyve been sitting on their bums so long and not making any decisions whatsoever about THAT character. Its about damn time a move was made finally. I’m just happy THAT character is back finally.

Eh, I really wish I could see it that way. There was a time when a Black Adam film starring The Rock would've actually been enough. And having the team that he's associated with, the JSA, as supporting characters would've been the only sauce-on-top you could need. Fun DC goodness, expanding the universe, etc. But this reads like caving to a tantrum, and there's an audience now for which movies start mattering less than a cinematic universe. And cameos and phases and sequels, and a Snoopy film ain't worth **** unless it also features Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes and the whole cast of Family Circus. Shoving in Cavill's Supes in a flick that shouldn't need him bc Twitter pouted after Comic Con. I ain't admiring that.

It’s a ton of fun and I’m really looking forward to Shazam 2 and seeing the family act together.

I’ll say this for Jared Leto. He would make a much better Mario than Chris Pratt, he proved it in his Razzie nominated (well deserved) performance in House of Gucci
Morbius, Damaged Joker and House of Gucci are amazing qualifications for pretty much any role, but Mario is a big one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"