Superman 2-who do you want to direct?

Discussion in 'Superman Sequels' started by Excel, Feb 19, 2006.

1. The Punisher Registered

I agree with Snake Emmerich wouldn't be that great.

2. The Punisher Registered

3. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

Guillermo del Toro.

4. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

I think I already mentioned them in this thread or another, but I'll list them again. I think Donner could do it again. It would be an amazing possibility in itself though. I wouldn't mind seeing the Wachowski Bros. take a shot, either. I like Frank Darabont and I think he has a lot of imagination. He could do it. Ergh, that's all I can think of now....tired.

5. db85usa HeHe!

Stephen Sommers wouldnt be that bad either (The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, Van Helsing.)

his films have great visuals/special effects... par actors but sometimes you have to give a director a good cast/solid script to make a great film... whoever is the director of the sequel to SR won't screw it up no matter how good/bad they are i dont think they can do any worse than Superman IV

6. db85usa HeHe!

Wachowski Bros. already did their Superman.

7. skruloos Registered

Are you purposefully picking hack popcorn movie directors?

8. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

Sorry, I don't like his movies either. VH was the worst movie ever. Loud, flashy, and completely hollow. The Mummy movies were a little less annoying, but not by much.

Well, one of the most important aspects of a Superman director is an abundance of creative imagination, which I think the W. Bros. have. The apparent lack of that aspect in someone like Ratner is why I am against his participation completely.

Well, they did a variation of something *like* a Superman story. At least we wouldn't have to doubt their ability to make flight scenes exciting.

9. Showtime Your Friend In Time

Frank Darabont's work is always epic. I don't think he's done anything directing wise since the Majestic right? The Wachowski Bros would be able to handle Superman no problem because of the work with The Matrix Trilogy.

10. Fatboy Roberts Registered

Joe Johnston
    Joe Dante
    Francis Lawrence
    Frank Darabont
    M Night Shyamalan

Those are plausibles. But barely.

Dream list:

Spielberg
    Cameron
    Jackson

Interesting choices:

DePalma
    Mann
    Scorsese
    Fincher
    Aronofsky

Soulless Hack Popcorn Directors

Stephen Sommers
    Roland Emmerich
    Michael Bay

Most realistic choice:

Bryan Singer.

11. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

The only thing I don't like about the Wachowski Brothers is that their storylines tend to lose me. They drug out Matrix way too long, and I would fear similar results if they did Superman. I agree that they would make him flashier, and more appealing, but I think they'd go too far...

12. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I agree about the flash and appeal but I can also see them giving us a jagged feeling to the story. Bits and pieces with no finality.

13. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I would have still liked to see M. Night give it a shot. Maybe there is hope later down the line for a Kingdom Come movie or Batman vs Superman.

14. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

It would definitely be interesting if Night took the reins. I like the possibility, but I think a lot of people would have a problem with a director who's primarily associated with horror films, take over a character such as Superman, who's so over-protected by his fans...

15. Showtime Your Friend In Time

Night was offered the chance to direct at one point but wanted to write his own script, this is when a script was attached, Abrams maybe? I think his love and respect for the character of Superman and the realistic way he handled Unbreakable would ease any of the protective fans.

16. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

Abrams is mentioned a lot when it comes to Superman. I think his love for the character, as you said, plus the fact that he' not really a big-time director (lower expectations=better movie, 9 times out of 10) would make him my second option if Singer dropped out. I still gotta go with del Toro, though. His development of Hellboy was magnificent, and I think he could give Superman that new persona he desperately needs to survive a genre ruled by Batman, Spider-man, and the X-Men....

17. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I reccomend Devil's Backbone if you havent seen it.

18. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

No I haven't...but thanks for the recommendation. I will try to see it...

19. SolidSnakeMGS Registered

Sadly, Darabont doesn't work nearly as much as he should. True, The Majestic -- a movie I enjoyed -- was his last directorial effort

Well, The Matrix was written by them completely if I recall correctly. I don't know if they dragged The Matrix so much as they just lost their way and made some bad decisions. Perhaps with a script written by someone else completely, they could just focus on directing.

I'd also like to add Kurt Wimmer but merely as someone we should watch. He did Equilibrium and the upcoming Ultraviolet.

20. KaptainKrypton Registered

Each to his own, dude.

21. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

I can see your point....Wimmer, huh? Interesing, haven't heard that one yet...I'll wait to see UV before decide on that one. That seems to be along the lines of Aeon Flux, and that could make for an interesting take on it...

22. Showtime Your Friend In Time

I am liking your Darabont idea more and more.

I am interested in Ultraviolet. I will probably wait for the rental.

23. Fatboy Roberts Registered

Whoa, wait. Darabont was MY IDEA. MINE! MINE ALONE! GIVE ME CREDIT! I NEEEEEED CREDIT! My Ego can't take this!!!

I think that needs more exclamation points, but I'm not sure.

!

24. Showtime Your Friend In Time

After a small amount of research you are correct. It was your idea so I give credit where credit is due. :bomb: A credit bomb for you.

25. CouchQuarterbck Whitey-Tighty Advocate

Okay, Okay, so here's what we know so far.....95% of this thread wants either Abrams, Darabont, or Wachowski Bros., with a small nod to Emmerich and Wimmer.

Let's just say, hypothetically, none of the aforementioned guys can do it. Are there any more suggestions? If nothing else, to give us someone else to discuss?