Superman 2-who do you want to direct?

Discussion in 'Superman Sequels' started by Excel, Feb 19, 2006.

1. WhatsHisFace Registered

Singer apparently wants to hold off on a Returns sequel to make pro-jewish pro-gay movies. I say screw him, I want Superman before Routh et al are too freaking old. There's a ton of directors with Singer's skill, and plenty who could make a better Superman movie. Singer dropped the ball and now he's wimping out. Give us a director with dedication. I'll vote for anyone.

2. ToddIsDead Registered

I really loved Returns. I really want Singer to make the sequel. Hopefully he decides to hold off on Castro Street.

3. Rorschach II Must investigate further.

He won't. As someone above mentioned, it's a pro-gay rights film. It's a personal thing for him.

4. fabman Registered

Michel Gondry for Superman 2

5. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing Richard Donner come back to direct a Superman movie, because Donner has infinitely more respect for the comics than most of the ideas I've heard for the fifth Superman film, and that includes SR (the fact that he's been co-writing the comics helps, too) and would know enough to put Luthor in the shadows for the first time in ages and get Routh to stop impersonating Reeve and let him do his own thing. Get Dini involved in the screenwriting, and it actually wouldn't make so much difference to me whether it was an SR sequel or not.

6. CGHulk Registered

I completely agree! :supes:

7. The Watchman Balls McGee

Been there, done that. I'm ready for something a bit fresher personally.

8. BULLITT Registered

Script, screenplay, Director -Kevin Smith.
    The man knows comics,knows the characters in the Superman mythology, and he won't make something concerning the subject, that you wouldn't be proud to add to your collection.:supes:

9. Jazner Registered

Honestly, I hate it when people come on these boards and pick fights over stupid topics, but did you actually READ the Abrams script? Let us not forget that JJ was primed and ready, alongside Brent Ratner, to butcher the Superman mythology. Let's just review a few alleged elements of that story:

1. Lex Luthor is a Kryptonian
    2. Krypton never exploded
    3. The suit is the source of Superman's powers
    4. Superman is a playboy who constantly makes Lois jealous
    5. Jimmy Olson is gay

Shall I go on?????

Listen, I know a lot of people weren't happy with Returns, but I think it did its job. Remember, Singer had to completely reintroduce the Superman Universe to the modern day moviegoer, who at the ripe old age of 16, has never even seen the Donner movie. Was it a little long? Perhaps. Did they try to channel a little too much Hackman in Spacey's Luthor? Absolutely. But no one prior to Singer presented a script or story idea that did any justice to the classic Superman lore. Long or not, you've gotta give credit where credit is due:Singer did a masterful job bringing this character back to the silver screen with the grace and majesty that made him different from other superheroes.

In short, despite its length SR still felt like a 'Superman movie,' not just another comic book themed action-fest. For that reason, I'm anxious to see what Singer and co. can do for a sequel, therefore making him my choice to direct.

10. GreenKToo In the fire

I dunno, singer has his work cut out for him on the sequel. Alot of people were just so so over S.R..

Can he give us a superior film in the sequel? who knows. I think his biggest hurdle will be S.R. (dont get me wrong, I liked S.R.) and because alot of people complained about the lack of a supervillain/action in it, they may be hesitant about the sequel.

If it is going to have a supervillain(s), and more action, etc etc, then they will need to start marketing it much earlier than they did for S.R. to convince folks that its got what they want.

The Superman name alone IMHO, WILL NOT sell it this time out. They will HAVE to show people it's what they have always wanted to see in a superman film. It will need a Spidey 3 type of marketing. (I know it will cost them alot to do that, but you gotta spend money to make it.)
    otherwise, IMHO, the B.O. numbers will be about that same or less than S.R.

11. manofsteel4life Registered

i completely agree with you on all that you've said[​IMG]

12. manofsteel4life Registered

[​IMG]

13. Billy Batson Registered

:wow: HOLY MOLY their take on :supes: would wipe the floor with Singer's SINGERMAN.

How come there is another thread, name after the Great film of the 1980's, and you guys are talking about the forth coming sequel to SR / Superman V. :huh:
    Don't you folks mean SR II / Superman vi?

14. A Dark Knight Registered

I would like to see Brian Singer come back and do the follow up and I really liked Superman Returns. IMO I would like to see a supervillain who could fight Superman and give him a challenge which would create more action which people want from the "The Man of Steel", but also they need to have Lex in the pic, I liked what KS did with him and am glad he has agreed to do the sequel. I thought he was really great at bringing a real evil edge to him and I would like to see what he does with him next, I am looking forward to "Superman: The Man of Steel" in 2009l.....Hopefully.

15. Billy Batson Registered

I'm going to print out these threads and snail mail them to the WB. :ninja:

Mr. Alan Horn
    President and C.O.O. Warner Brothers Entertainment
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, Ca. 91522
    [email protected]

Mr. Jeff Robinov
    President of Production Warner Brothers
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Burbank, Ca. 91522
    [email protected]

16. Super Kal Proud Conservative

I really wanna see Spielberg direct it...

17. Excel O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Did you even read the script? I have a hard copy and have had one since 2003, I've read it inside and out. If your gonna talk bad points about it, Try to get em right next time.

Besides...that was the first draft...the 2nd draft was the one that got the green light...n luthor was a human who owned lexcorp, krypton blew up; the suit was never the source of his powers even in the first draft he uses them outside of it...supermans never a playboy the oppsite actually even in the first draft...olsen was only gay in the 1st.

so 3/5 points were valid to the first draft, 0/5 were valid for the 2nd draft, which is the one Abrams and Ratner were ready to make.

I guess it is smart starting debates over something you know nothing about :whatever:

18. Super Kal Proud Conservative

I heard that his third draft was incredible...

19. SuperDaniel Registered

Richard Donner, Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg or Robert Zemeckys would`ve been my ideal choices...

20. Jazner Registered

OUCH, easy there partner. Didn't mean to stir anything up with you there. HOWEVER, Abrams wrote those points into the original draft for a reason and he was told to throw them out after the massive fan uproar online after the story leaked. It's not like he said, "hey, I was drunk when I wrote that draft so let me go back and edit it." Besides, that script was written for a Bret Ratner Superman movie, which I want no part of either. Ratner is a great action director, but he's never made a movie with any real character or story substance, IMHO. He's great at Rush Hour, that's it as evidenced by X3 and Red Dragon.

As for Abrams, don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I liked MI3 and I can't wait to see what he does with Star Trek. I just didn't think he was right for Superman and that draft told me, and everyone else for that matter, that I was right.

NOW, one concession I'll happily make is to the poster earlier who suggested that Kevin Smith be involved. Smith wrote an allegedly great script for WB on a 'death and life' movie, which was gutted by Jon Peters because "that suit was horrible and it needed a big F**kin' Spider in the climax!!!" Before you jump on me about Smith vs. Abrams: Smith wrote a good script that was turned into crap by TPTB. Abrams wrote a crap script that was thrown out because no one would've seen it.

I'd love to see what a Bryan Singer directed Superman movie, based on a Kevin Smith written screenplay, would look like. Just to be safe, go ahead and throw Smith in as a producer as well.

Thoughts?????

21. Super Kal Proud Conservative

definitely would be interesting... but I don't think it would happen.

22. SuperDaniel Registered

They should get Paul Dini to write the script.

23. fabman Registered

Matthew Vaughn! Matthew Vaughn! Matthew Vaugn! :D

24. What Superman needs is an expert storyteller. Not just an eye candy epic, which any high profile director should be able to deliver, but a true character story, making you care about Kal El. I didn't care about him in Returns, he whined, peeped on Lois at her home, lifted an airplane, a car, and a giant Kryptonite Island (WTF??) and then whined a little more. Sorry, the Man of Steel would not emotionaly deal with things this way. Just look at the "Birthright" story by Waid. That is how a hero thinks. So which director can deliver a story like this??

EDWARD ZWICK!!!

Blood Diamond
    The Last Samuri

This guy could take it and make it great.

Tell me your thoughts.

25. The Watchman Balls McGee

Save Zwick for a Star-Wars-esque Green Lantern Trilogy, Mendes or Spielberg for more Mythological colorful take on Superman, Fincher for Batman when Nolan leaves, and Ridley Scott for JLA, full on Darkseid and 4th world characters with ILM and Lucascarts doing the special effects.