World Superman: Braniac Attacks Review (Spoilers)

Batgort

Civilian
Reaction score
Well, I just got a hold of Superman Braniac attacks, Superman TAS Vol3, and Justice League Vol 2. Here is my review of Superman Braniac Attacks.

Overall: B - The story wasn't that inspiring and braniac has attacked so many times in the series, having a movie around another fight didn't seem like great material to me. It looks like Bruce Timm and most of his crew was *not* involved, only Curt Geda as "supervising producer".

Characters: Superman and Lois were great, but they changed voice actors for both Luthor and Braniac which was very disappointing. Also, both Braniac and Luthor were way out of character from just about all incarnations we've ever seen. Luthor may be more like the SR Luthor, being slightly goofy and not smart. Braniac was more like a standard goon and was emotional and not like the cold robot we've come to love.

Animation: The lines were similar to Superman TAS, but the color pallette looked like it was from Justice League, which gave it an odd feeling. The animation was great in some parts (e.g. the explosions) and in others it felt pretty weak -- I guess they had multiple crews, one good and one bad.

Fortress of Solitude: This mysteriously looked like the SR fortress of solitude.

Plot: The plot really suffered mostly because of how out of character Braniac and Luthor was. It felt more like a drawn out episode with a goofy Lex Luthor and an emotional braniac. The one good thing was more romance between Superman/Clark and Lois, though this was cut short when she was hurt for the second half of the movie.

I would say if you're an adult who's been a fan of the Timmverse and all of the great cartoons, you will only be midly entertained by this movie and a little disappointed in the drop in quality. However, if you are getting this for your kids, they will probably like it more and not notice the changes in voice as much.

Batgort said:
Well, I just got a hold of Superman Braniac attacks, Superman TAS Vol3, and Justice League Vol 2. Here is my review of Superman Braniac Attacks.

I would say if you're an adult who's been a fan of the Timmverse and all of the great cartoons, you will only be midly entertained by this movie and a little disappointed in the drop in quality. However, if you are getting this for your kids, they will probably like it more and not notice the changes in voice as much.

Thank God I don't have kids so I don't have to think about getting it for them, because I sure wouldn't get it for myself. Brainiac Attacks is a desecration to all the hard work the Timm/Dini team did to make the DC heroes exciting and respectable again. Animations like this, and SR have really disrespected their work by releasing this animation and SR. On the other hand, JL Vol. II is awesome!

dpm07 said:
[/font]

Thank God I don't have kids so I don't have to think about getting it for them, because I sure wouldn't get it for myself. Brainiac Attacks is a desecration to all the hard work the Timm/Dini team did to make the DC heroes exciting and respectable again. Animations like this, and SR have really disrespected their work by releasing this animation and SR. On the other hand, JL Vol. II is awesome!
Damn it, I want Justice League Volume 2 but I can't get my hands on it!

Yeah, the decision to replace Clancy Brown with Powers Boothe as Lex Luthor, and then play Luthor as a goofball ala Gene Hackman was a horrible mistake. Lance Henriksen threw out a decent Brainiac voice but why did they feel the need to get rid of Corey Burton and Brown?!

Well, it was good to hear Tim Daly doing Superman's voice again, even if he didn't have the best material, and it's always good to hear Dana Delany as Lois Lane.

The only thing I can think of to recommend it to any fan would be to watch the absurdly long fight between Superman and the giant mecha-Brainiac, proving once again that the core appeal of Superman is sticking this noble straight shooting hero into the most hellish situations you can think of.

Hey, do you think they'll do a direct to DVD animated solo feature for Wonder Woman to hype up the Joss Whedon movie (assuming Joss ever gets his movie made)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"