Superman & Lois Original Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve been over this in a different place. The Earths didn’t merge, a whole NEW and different multiverse was created. The NEW Earth-Prime isn’t Earth-38 and Black Lightning’s Earth merged with Earth-1 because Earth-1 was destroyed too. We don’t know the history of Earth-Prime. Until we know more about Earth-Prime’s history no assumptions should be made. The characters we saw, including Clark, in part five weren’t merged doppelgängers but Earth-Prime versions. For the most part we’ve been shown that Earth-Prime is functionality a lot like Earth-38 and Earth-1. We haven’t seen any major character differences. If I’m wrong, from what we’ve been shown please let me know how.

Why is it so important who “came” first. As Oliver said in CoIE it’s about connections and Clark doesn’t have a strong connection to anyone but Kara and to a lesser extent J’onn. I know how much some here want it but it would be forced IMO to just make Clark a leader of these heroes he doesn’t really know yet. I’d have the same problem if Kate were forced as a leader. On a similar note why shouldn’t Kara continue to be be the beckon of Hope in the Arrowverse. She’s the Paragon of Hope and it’s in her motto Hope, Help, and Compassion for all. I assume Clark’s motto will still be Truth, Justice, and the American way work with that.

Because whatever history they have before the Crisis is now gone and all the heroes from Earths are now on this new Earth, where their histories would either merged or changed.

In this new Earth everyone knows who Superman is.

I wonder why the showrunners decided that Lois and Clark should have two sons instead of Jonathan being the only child like in the comics. Anyway I have no doubt that the two sons will provide the high school drama that CW is famous for and I just hope the two actors are competent just so I won't cringe at any of their scenes or their characters.

We’ve been over this in a different place. The Earths didn’t merge, a whole NEW and different multiverse was created. The NEW Earth-Prime isn’t Earth-38 and Black Lightning’s Earth merged with Earth-1 because Earth-1 was destroyed too. We don’t know the history of Earth-Prime. Until we know more about Earth-Prime’s history no assumptions should be made. The characters we saw, including Clark, in part five weren’t merged doppelgängers but Earth-Prime versions...

The scenario you describe would be interesting from a sci-fi/philosophical point-of-view. It calls to mind a few Star Trek episodes about transporter accidents that create two copies of the same person. (Which one is real? Or are they both real?) Likewise, when the holodeck malfunctions and creates a sentient character. (Is it ethical to turn off the holodeck and “delete” this character? :wow:)

But such existential brainteasers don’t seem to be a particular focus of the Arrowverse shows. Pragmatically, the main outcome of Crisis was having all the current CW heroes exist on a common Earth. Beyond this, I think we’re supposed to assume that the familiar characters we knew, pre-Crisis, haven’t substantially changed. And the only glitches in the system are those that are explicitly acknowledged. E.g. Lex is now a “good guy”; there are two versions of Beth Kane; Superman’s infant son has become two teenagers.

Bottom line: it makes no practical difference if you call Earth-Prime “merged” or “new.” Either way, the past continuities that are convenient to retain will be retained; changes that serve plot contrivances will be changed; and minor incongruities - like who the “first superhero” is - will be ignored.

I’m not sure the Arrowverse writers understood the full, existential and moral ramifications of the reality-bending tale they were telling. But even if they did, they obviously decided that these ramifications were too complex for lightweight fantasy to tackle. Consequently, the tricky stuff has just been hand-waved.

As I have said before I am not a big fan of this show but I will give it a shot. I'm just not too trilled with all that I am hearing when it comes to this and I believe that they are making a huge mistake giving him two teenage sons. I just feel they should've focused on fixing Superman and his position in this world then on a family. However it is what it is.

But such existential brainteasers don’t seem to be a particular focus of the Arrowverse shows. Pragmatically, the main outcome of Crisis was having all the current CW heroes exist on a common Earth. Beyond this, I think we’re supposed to assume that the familiar characters we knew, pre-Crisis, haven’t substantially changed. And the only glitches in the system are those that are explicitly acknowledged. E.g. Lex is now a “good guy”; there are two versions of Beth Kane; Superman’s infant son has become two teenagers.
I agree with this, functionally Earth-Prime is very much like everyone's pre-crisis homes. So far we seen that the characters we knew pre-crisis haven't changed so I don't think that aspect is going to be explored. It's interesting that the biggest confirmed change is to Superman and Lois's history.

Because whatever history they have before the Crisis is now gone and all the heroes from Earths are now on this new Earth, where their histories would either merged or changed. In this new Earth everyone knows who Superman is.
It's true that the general public on Earth-Prime knows who Superman is. What we don't know and can't assume is that Superman's history is the same as it was on Earth-38. We already know from the description of this show that Lois and Clark's history has significantly changed, doesn't it follow that Superman's history has changed too. Even assuming Superman's Earth-Prime history does sorta follow Earth-38 history he still doesn't yet have the personal connections to the Paragons, who retained their pre-crisis connections, and Black Lightning to assume a leadership role in the group.

Be careful, you can have SPOILER if it's true.

Exclusive: The CW's Superman & Lois Will Feature Major Character Death in Pilot Episode - Bounding Into Comics

Reactions: Dr.
It's probably a good thing that the series opens with this sort of personal drama and pathos. (Though, execution will be key.)

But another detail (assuming it's true) was more interesting:

"...Smallville, where the series is expected to predominantly take place..."

:hmm

If they were going to go about things this way it would've been better to just bring Welling's SV back and instead of him having two girls let him have a son and a daughter and just go from there where they find out their kids have super powers even after he gave up his.

Last edited:
If they were going to go about things this way it would've been better to just bring Welling's SV back and instead of him having two girls let him have a son and a daughter and just go from there where they find out their kids have super powerpoeven after he gave up his.

Exactly as this looks inspired by Smallville’s Crisis cameo.

I don't like the idea of Superman and Lois taking place in Smallville. Last thing I need is a Smallville 2.0.
I don't like it too since its a rehash of Smallville the show and I would rather we had an actual Superman show in which most of the events takes place in Metropolis instead of Smallville.

I'm hoping whatever spoiler was posted above is not true, especially from a site we never heard of.

A prior/rumored plot synopsis claimed that CK would be laid off from the Daily Planet. So that would be consistent with moving back to Smallville (and returning to... farm work?). But the same synopsis said Lois continues as a DP reporter - which would make for a tough daily commute.

:shrug:

A prior/rumored plot synopsis claimed that CK would be laid off from the Daily Planet. So that would be consistent with moving back to Smallville (and returning to... farm work?). But the same synopsis said Lois continues as a DP reporter - which would make for a tough daily commute.

:shrug:
With the way technology is Lois can work for the Planet any place around the world.

I wouldn't mind them making occasional trips to Smallville, but it doesn't need to be every week. The farm could serve as a place for the family to de-stress, whether it's for Lois after a rough stretch - or one or both of the twins showing signs they may have inherited their father's powers.

Isn't there a run of recent comics where Clark and Lois decide to raise their son in Smallville?

Isn't there a run of recent comics where Clark and Lois decide to raise their son in Smallville?
No they raised him in a place like Smallville when New 52 Superman was alive. After he and Lois died they for the most part took over their lives until Rebirth and then permanently moved to Metropolis.

In the recent comics, Clark and Lois raised Jon in Hamilton County.

Notice that the rumored premises we've been hearing are from sites we've never heard of. Only thing true so far is their sons Jonathan and Jordan casted last week.

Setting this in Smallville is such a garbage idea.

Setting this in Smallville is such a garbage idea.

Yeah, well it's definitely not doing any favors for those that thought this premise was superior to having a Superman series featuring Brandon Routh's KC version.

I guess Superman will be following in the footsteps of Michael Keaton and having his turn at playing "Mr Mom". :o

I don't mind the parental angle at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"