Superman & Lois Original Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Superman & Lois' started by Speed Force, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herolee10 No More Miracles

Unlike the Flash and Supergirl, this version of Superman is one that has already been a superhero for nearly 20 years. Thus, it would be realistic to assume that he has become familiarized with most of his established supporting cast by now.

And only one of Clark and Lois's sons is based off of comic book canon. Plus, doesn't make sense on why Lana Lana would even be needed for this show when there are several female characters in Superman and Lois's gallery that could have filled that spot. John Diggle hasn't been confirmed either for this show.

vantheman77 likes this.
  2. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

We're talking about Superman and Lois Lane in full mythology as we should be seeing the supporting characters from the Daily Planet.

If they turn Lana Lang into Superwoman Red and have her hook up with Steel John Henry Irons, then I'd gladly accept it.

What will Clark do after he's laid off from the Daily Planet? Work at the Daily Star!

3. SuperRouth Registered

Was interesting to see Superman get name dropped on the Flash and Legends.

vantheman77 likes this.
  4. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

I truly hope this isn't true and that this turns out to be false. Really before even focusing of the family life of Superman I still believe they have a lot of work just fixing the Superman of this world first. I get that Jon Kent was a big hit in the comics but that was once again before Bendis got a hold of him and ruined him. I just believe they should spend this first season showing why Superman is the symbol of hope for this world and why everyone looks up to him and takes their lead from him because in the CW world that has yet to be shown and I am afraid will never be addressed. Once they did or do that then move on to the future. Hell I would be happy if the first two seasons to place entirely in the past before Supergirl to show this and then they do a time jump to present time.

vantheman77 likes this.
  5. Sithborg The Pink Devil

I'm not entirely sure what you expected from a CW show...

6. LifesEnd Registered

there is no way they would do 2 seasons in the past...

what im hoping is flashbacks ala arrow, this is us of clark and lois raising the boys

7. Dr. From parts unknown

I guess I’m a Superman “traditionalist.” :grrr:

So, for me, Clark and Lois living together (married or otherwise), sharing the secret identity, etc. is already pretty modern and avant-garde.

Now maybe - maybe - a pregnancy/birth would be palatable if it occurred in the final episodes of a final season. But by fast-forwarding to the trials and tribulations of raising two teenaged superkids, the whole thing starts to sound like a wacky sitcom. :(

Erik20 likes this.
  8. Calvin Ellis Kal-El of Earth 23

I was hoping for a show that shows us why Superman is the top hero and why everybody takes their lead from him. I was hoping they would shoe us why this Superman is a symbol of hope because from everything I have seen of him on Supergirl and the crossovers he has not shown that to me. And to me that's important. Like him or not Snyder's Superman showed that as did Donner & Singer's Superman. Hell even SV Clark showed that but this Superman has shown nothing but the opposite of that. And the problem now becomes how do you establish that he is the hero all the other heroes & the world look up to while dealing with him raising a family & giving the Planet staff their time & the episodes that will focus on the teens and their daily life and troubles.

That's the wrong way to go IMO considering most of the flashbacks will probably about Clark's upbringing. I just think with how they have portrayed this Superman so far they should've done the first season in the past to at least convince me and people like me who have doubts about this Superman or how has be portrayed so far. Personally once again I believe DC/WB should've just launched both a Superman, Batman & Green Lantern show on HBO Max as well as Wonder Woman and Aquaman and Flash and start their shared universe over there and just let the CW show's run their course but then again that's just me.

Erik20 and vantheman77 like this.
  9. famicommander Registered

I'm hoping each of Superman's sons has different aspects of his powers.

Rather than both just being miniature Supermen or one being a mini Superman with the other being a normal kid, each has half.

One has super strength but normal durability, one has invulnerability but normal strength
    One has heat vision, the other has ice breath
    One has super speed, the other has flight

That would be a cool way to go about it.

LifesEnd likes this.
  10. LifesEnd Registered

pretty sure there will be some angst with Jon having powers early and Jordan not. But yea splitting them up would be interesting.

11. Dr. From parts unknown

12. Kev4000 Registered

vantheman77 likes this.
  13. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Well at least it's easy to tell which one's supposed to be which son, lol. Not gonna lie, that rumored premise makes me a little uneasy, but I'm not about to jump to conclusions. Given Tulloch's rather cryptic description of Helbing's concept, I feel like there's an element we're not hearing about that might make it work better than it sounds (if that's indeed the actual premise).

Right now I just hope these kids can act decently enough to not have me cringing through all their scenes. Solid young actors at this age can be rather hard to come by. Supes having 2 sons instead of 1 just puts the odds further against them, lol.

14. herolee10 No More Miracles

Honestly, I wonder why the producers are even giving the couple two sons as opposed to just one (as seen in the comics).

I think I would have preferred the fan theory that one of the sons was actually adopted, like Chris Kent (aka General Zod's and Ursa's son) or even Damian Wayne since Earth Prime's Bruce is incognito.

Also, although I feel like it should be addressed, I am pretty sure that they are going to just gloss over the fact that Clark and Lois went from having one infant to two teenage sons. I mean does Clark even remember both timelines since he was surprised in Crisis when he heard about his "sons".

WhoMani and vantheman77 like this.
  15. herolee10 No More Miracles

Well I am curious to find out on where Tyler's Superman fits in the hierarchy of superheroes on Earth prime give on all of the new heroes that were combined with his history. It's still weird on how Oliver was addressed as the first superhero when Tyler's Superman was known to have been active for over a decade.

vantheman77 likes this.
  16. Dr. From parts unknown

Arguably, Ollie was “first superhero” on Earth-1; Superman the first on Earth-38. But with the amalgamation into Earth-Prime, maybe it takes a while for contradictory information to sort itself out.

;nd :cwink:

17. herolee10 No More Miracles

Yeah well they definitely glossed over some pretty huge ramifications from the merger of their Earths.

One of the biggest trademarks for Arrow's first two seasons was that everything was relatively normal in the public world before the Flash emerged.

But if you add in that Superman, a known alien, had already been active as a public superhero for at least a decade before the events of Arrow Season 1 then that really changes the game.

vantheman77 likes this.
  18. The Guard Registered

I would imagine you'll get that. This is the CW. If nothing else, there will be TONS of Superman moralizing, exploring moral quandries, teaching lessons of compassion and forgiveness, etc. There's been tons of it in pretty much every version of the recent Superman & Son storylines. Superman as True North. It's not an accident that they're drawing heavily from that version of the mythos.

You show why his family looks up to him and takes their lead from him (and Lois), and show him teaching those lessons of hope and compassion.

You said you wanted to see why Superman is the top hero, symbol of hope, and why others take their lead from him.

His upbringing would be a pretty big part of that.

Because one of them is probably evil, or at least "troubled" and vulnerable.

19. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

I still hope Jordan Kent is a cover for Damian Wayne.

Since the casting breakdown for Jon and Jordan ends up true, I hope the premise is not.

With the Earths merging, Superman, Martian Manhunter, and Black Lightning are among the first wave of superheroes. They're likely the veterans of this game. Green Arrow would be the start of the 2nd generation.

20. Sawyer High King

Was really hoping the boys would be Chris and Jon. Considering the two actors look abso-****ing-lutely nothing alike, I guess it’s still possible those will be the characters, but...

21. Brierrose Registered

We’ve been over this in a different place. The Earths didn’t merge, a whole NEW and different multiverse was created. The NEW Earth-Prime isn’t Earth-38 and Black Lightning’s Earth merged with Earth-1 because Earth-1 was destroyed too. We don’t know the history of Earth-Prime. Until we know more about Earth-Prime’s history no assumptions should be made. The characters we saw, including Clark, in part five weren’t merged doppelgängers but Earth-Prime versions. For the most part we’ve been shown that Earth-Prime is functionality a lot like Earth-38 and Earth-1. We haven’t seen any major character differences. If I’m wrong, from what we’ve been shown please let me know how.

Why is it so important who “came” first. As Oliver said in CoIE it’s about connections and Clark doesn’t have a strong connection to anyone but Kara and to a lesser extent J’onn. I know how much some here want it but it would be forced IMO to just make Clark a leader of these heroes he doesn’t really know yet. I’d have the same problem if Kate were forced as a leader. On a similar note why shouldn’t Kara continue to be be the beckon of Hope in the Arrowverse. She’s the Paragon of Hope and it’s in her motto Hope, Help, and Compassion for all. I assume Clark’s motto will still be Truth, Justice, and the American way work with that.

#921 Brierrose, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  22. famicommander Registered

Technically John Constantine, Wildcat, and Batman were operating before Green Arrow too. But the first two weren't famous and Batman was thought to be a myth. Also Vixen and the JSA were around, but operating in secret, long before anybody else.

23. vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

Because whatever history they have before the Crisis is now gone and all the heroes from Earths are now on this new Earth, where their histories would either merged or changed.

In this new Earth everyone knows who Superman is.

24. WhoMani Registered

I wonder why the showrunners decided that Lois and Clark should have two sons instead of Jonathan being the only child like in the comics. Anyway I have no doubt that the two sons will provide the high school drama that CW is famous for and I just hope the two actors are competent just so I won't cringe at any of their scenes or their characters.

25. Dr. From parts unknown

The scenario you describe would be interesting from a sci-fi/philosophical point-of-view. It calls to mind a few Star Trek episodes about transporter accidents that create two copies of the same person. (Which one is real? Or are they both real?) Likewise, when the holodeck malfunctions and creates a sentient character. (Is it ethical to turn off the holodeck and “delete” this character? :wow:)

But such existential brainteasers don’t seem to be a particular focus of the Arrowverse shows. Pragmatically, the main outcome of Crisis was having all the current CW heroes exist on a common Earth. Beyond this, I think we’re supposed to assume that the familiar characters we knew, pre-Crisis, haven’t substantially changed. And the only glitches in the system are those that are explicitly acknowledged. E.g. Lex is now a “good guy”; there are two versions of Beth Kane; Superman’s infant son has become two teenagers.

Bottom line: it makes no practical difference if you call Earth-Prime “merged” or “new.” Either way, the past continuities that are convenient to retain will be retained; changes that serve plot contrivances will be changed; and minor incongruities - like who the “first superhero” is - will be ignored.

I’m not sure the Arrowverse writers understood the full, existential and moral ramifications of the reality-bending tale they were telling. But even if they did, they obviously decided that these ramifications were too complex for lightweight fantasy to tackle. Consequently, the tricky stuff has just been hand-waved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.