Superman Returns Superman Returns Appreciation Thread

Superark

The Purveyor of Good
Reaction score
Given that there is a thread discussing the flaws of Superman Returns, I figured there should be one for those who can discuss what they love about Bryan Singer's take on the Last Son of Krypton.

I'll start with the film's score. John Ottman did an incredible job integrating John Williams' theme into his own original work. I truly feel that may be the most underappreciated aspect to the film.

A personal favorite track

Reprise/Fly Away
[YT]dG9JN2BLQpc[/YT]

Oh yes, count me right in for this. Even though i love MOS, and that love seems to grow with each viewing, same as it did with SR in 2006, I still think SR is a great movie and a different type of Superman story. Its sort of like an elseworlds story come to life. I would also like to transfer my thoughts on the climax from the other thread:

As for the climax I loved what we got in the movie, it was powerful stuff for me, Superman picking up and throwing the last remnant of his home world into space to save his adopted world. Its the culmination of the theme of the movie, alienation. Superman is feeling alone the whole movie, hence his return to Krypton at the start, he cant seem to let his home planet go because he feels alienated on Earth.

Then he does what he does to New Krypton, nearly killing himself in process, and finally letting go of his home world, then falling back to Earth with the humans watching helplessly. He is then told by Lois that there IS someone else like him in the universe, and its his son. Powerful stuff IMO.

I do like this movie, I don't think people need to bash it in order to big up Man of Steel (which was a better movie for me) but Superman Returns while I don't like it as much as I used to still has some amazing moments in it. I love the Plane Sequence, its still one if the best moments in any film I've ever watched. Its the big highpoint of this film and I'll never tire of this scene.

^Agreed, the plane sequence is still awesome and the movie in general is still awesome to me. I love MOS but cant decide whether I like it more than SR, but I watched SR a lot and MOS only 5 times so time will tell.

I also still love the lifting of the island, starting from when Superman leaves the plane, finally saying bye to Lois, then his re-charge in the sun, which is an amazing scene, through to him lifting the island then falling silently back to Earth while the people of metropolis watch in sadness knowing they cant do anything to help him. Its powerful stuff IMO.

I’ve posted this link before (and here it is again :word:). It takes you to a critical analysis of Superman Returns that I wrote some time ago.

My thesis is that SR functions as a deconstruction - and then reconstruction - of the hero mythos. Essentially: the hero must always exist as an idealized outsider; and any attempt at normalization will either fail (the outsider remains outside) or completes/ends the hero’s journey. Now if that sounds like a somewhat melancholy theme, I agree. But I also find it fascinating.

Also: my goal with the essay was to write a pure critique of SR. Many of the pro-SR posts I had read seemed to be reactions against anti-SR posts (e.g., explaining why a given criticism was wrong, flawed or otherwise unfair). And I wanted to explore what I considered to be the film’s virtues - without resorting to “defensiveness.” (Been there, done that already. :cwink:)

Note: if you read my piece (it's a tad long), you might notice that it’s written in a “formal, academic” style. That was deliberate (as a kind of inside joke).

http://justicebulletin.com/articles/the-hero-alienation-and-family-in-superman-returns/

Your thesis maybe correct for SR, I didnt read the full article but it deconstructing and then reconstructing of the hero mythos seems to apply a lot to the themes in SR. Alienation is the main theme and its thoroughly explored throughout the movie.

Given that there is a thread discussing the flaws of Superman Returns, I figured there should be one for those who can discuss what they love about Bryan Singer's take on the Last Son of Krypton.

Reasons I like Superman Returns:

1. There was no unnecessary origin story or scenes from Krypton. Everyone knows who Superman came from, and who he is... even my grandmother knew who Superman was, and she didn't even read comics.

2. The plane sequence is fantastic. For me it's one of the best action scenes in a superhero movie. It shows off Superman's strength, it's dramatic and exciting. It was a good way to introduce Superman again.

3. Richard White wasn't that stereotypical bully we often see in movies. The jerk who steals girlfriends, bullies people, cheats on the girl etc. He was a good man and a hero.

4. The scene on the rooftop where the badguy shoots Superman in the eye. I like how calm Superman is, he just walks straight up to the guy and waits. He doesn't blink, or throw a punch. He doesn't have to.

5. Superman flying around in Metropolis, saving people from glass, falling objects and explosions. It shows that Superman really cares about the people he's here to save, just like in Superman the movie. No good deed is too small for him.

6. Superman isn't the only hero in the movie. Lois Lane saves Superman, and Richard tries to save Lois and her son. I like scenes where regular people aren't just stupid and helpless.

7. Superman lifts the kryptonite island. Probably my favorite part of the movie! It was totally unexpected to se him lift something THAT heavy. I've heard some people call the scene stupid, and "unrealistic! Superman would die because of the kryptonite!". But I don't think they really understand that scene... It reminds me of the first movie when Lois dies. He's pushing himself beyond his limits because of his anger and sorrow. In Returns, we see the same. His will to save the planet gives him the extra strength to lift the island, fly away with it and throw it into space.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

8. Superman in the hospital. Very emotional. All the people outside the hospital to show their support. Lois and the son, his mother... I almost believed that he was going to die myself.

9. Superman's speech to his son. Like Jor-El and Clark in the first movie, except that Superman is alive, and will be there to guide his son. Nice.

10. The ending. Right before the credits, when Superman flies in front of the camera and away. Great way to end the movie, as in the Christopher Reeve movies.

I will probably get killed for this, but I like Superman Returns a little better than Man of Steel. It's not perfect, but it's a good enough Superman movie.:yay:

1. There was no unnecessary origin story or scenes from Krypton. Everyone knows who Superman came from, and who he is... even my grandmother knew who Superman was, and she didn't even read comics.

2. The plane sequence is fantastic. For me it's one of the best action scenes in a superhero movie. It shows off Superman's strength, it's dramatic and exciting. It was a good way to introduce Superman again.

3. Richard White wasn't that stereotypical bully we often see in movies. The jerk who steals girlfriends, bullies people, cheats on the girl etc. He was a good man and a hero.

4. The scene on the rooftop where the badguy shoots Superman in the eye. I like how calm Superman is, he just walks straight up to the guy and waits. He doesn't blink, or throw a punch. He doesn't have to.

5. Superman flying around in Metropolis, saving people from glass, falling objects and explosions. It shows that Superman really cares about the people he's here to save, just like in Superman the movie. No good deed is too small for him.

6. Superman isn't the only hero in the movie. Lois Lane saves Superman, and Richard tries to save Lois and her son. I like scenes where regular people aren't just stupid and helpless.

7. Superman lifts the kryptonite island. Probably my favorite part of the movie! It was totally unexpected to se him lift something THAT heavy. I've heard some people call the scene stupid, and "unrealistic! Superman would die because of the kryptonite!". But I don't think they really understand that scene... It reminds me of the first movie when Lois dies. He's pushing himself beyond his limits because of his anger and sorrow. In Returns, we see the same. His will to save the planet gives him the extra strength to lift the island, fly away with it and throw it into space.

8. Superman in the hospital. Very emotional. All the people outside the hospital to show their support. Lois and the son, his mother... I almost believed that he was going to die myself.

9. Superman's speech to his son. Like Jor-El and Clark in the first movie, except that Superman is alive, and will be there to guide his son. Nice.

10. The ending. Right before the credits, when Superman flies in front of the camera and away. Great way to end the movie, as in the Christopher Reeve movies.

I will probably get killed for this, but I like Superman Returns a little better than Man of Steel. It's not perfect, but it's a good enough Superman movie.:yay:
cool. and don't worry your preference will be respected. i think i will appreciate the movie more if the main storyline is different.

Agree with all of this except the last paragraph, SR and MOS are equally good IMO. But yeah, the lifting of NK is my favourite part of the movie as well, I love the plane scene, and a few others, but the pure emotion of everything involved with Superman lifting that planet into space is what really makes the whole thing special. From him finally saying bye to Lois, to that unconscious descent back down to Earth while the people can only stand there and watch. Its great stuff IMO and I also appreciate it for how different it is to the usual CBM finale.

I liked the way Singer showed how the crystal tech worked in the deleted scene "Return to Krypton".

Some flying scenes in SR looked great, I mean... this one looks so natural !

[YT]z4S79L0WJkM[/YT]

^I thought the majority of flying was great, the one shot I had a problem with is were Superman flies back to Metropolis after seeing the earthquake coming along the ocean floor.

Superman Returns flying action >>>>>>>> Man of Steel flying action. I thought Returns portrayed a more realistic Supes action-wise than STM, obviously b/c of updated cinematographic technology.

The only one shot I have a problem is when Supes is lifting the cruise ship that has been broken into two. You could tell Brandon was just lifting a stationary set while they flushed out the water. That was the only one scene I thought they needed to redo...

Apparently, the MOS Oil rig rescue scene was supposed to be in SR, during the part where many natural disasters happen. (Metropolis earthquake, tidal wave )

A post dated 2008, from SHH's old threads (source links are dead) -

Found two storyboard panels by an artist named Collin Grant who worked in the art department of SR.These appear to be of some sort of offshore oil rig rescue scene? Does anyone know if this was in the script and when it was supposed to have taken place in the movie?:huh:

34047299fv7.jpg

84597712jx3.jpg

Source Links:http://www.411creatives.com/talent/Resume_Samples/collin_grant.html
http://www.411creatives.com/talent/index.htm

Good stuff, I did think that moment in SR seemed a bit too small considering what was supposed to be happening.

Loved the oil rig scene in MOS, it was done brilliantly.

Things I enjoyed in SR..

Brandon Routh as Superman
The plane sequence
the iconography
the improved flying..(the sequence of him slowing down once he noticed the crack beneath the waves)

implementation of the classic theme and the opening credits...

:( obvious CGI Routh. why!!!

Yeah, the scene was 100 % CGI, The CGI become too obvious on Blu-Ray, I did not notice it first in theaters.

It should have been a blend of real Routh and CGI Routh.

Real for close up shots (using wire work) and CGI when we see him at a distance.

Singer made some mind-boggling decisions.

^Yeah that is one my problems with the movie, I thought in 2006 the CGI wasnt that noticeable but knew with time that wouldnt be the case. Watching the movie now the CGI Superman is VERY noticeable.

It ages the movie a bit too much but I still love it.

I must have missed this particular article, 'cause this is the first time I am hearing anything related to McG's "Superman - FlyBy" and Brandon Routh's screen test.

FIRST LOOK AT BRANDON ROUTH'S "SUPERMAN: FLYBY" SCREEN TEST

I6izney.jpg

RwyPnok.jpg

http://www.thinkmcflythink.com/movie-news/2013/12/18/first-look-at-brandon-rouths-superman-flyby-screen-test.html?lastPage=true&postSubmitted=true

With Man Of Steel becoming a high flying box office success and Henry Cavill at the forefront of The Brothers Warner reimagining of the Superman mythos, I am sure some of have forgotten about Superman Returns and the previous owner of the red cape, Brandon Routh.

Routh's career didn't necessarily soar after Superman Returns, but the actor is set for the rest of his life financially and is doing what he loves, acting. I personally thought he was solid in the role of Superman/Clark Kent and was looking forward to more, but am more than pleased I was able to enjoy two different Superman films in the past 8 years.

The career paths of Cavill and Routh are forever intertwined since both screen tested for the role of Superman during McG's Superman: Flyby pre-production in 2004. When that project unraveled Bryan Singer cast Brandon Routh in Superman Returns and Henry Cavill ended up as Superman years later in Man Of Steel. Can you imagine a world where the roles were reversed? Think about it.

We already gave you a glimpse at Henry Cavill's Superman: Flyby Screen Test and below is a shot from Brandon Routh's screen test. This screen shot gives us a more complete look at the suit. Note what looks like a red belt. The Flyby suit screams action figure and Routh certainly looks the part. The screen test was only months before his test for Superman Returns which you can compare and contrast below.

This suit is miles better than the Superman Returns suit !

Cavill also gave a screen test for the same movie, which many people must have heard by now.

1LYlIoY.jpg

Last edited:
What happened to the rest of the threads? I like this movie well enough.

You're not the only one. :word:

I used to enjoy Superman Returns for what it was, but after MOS came out last summer I find myself appreciating SR far more now. It's the simple things that were listed earlier that help make it as close to the Superman I wish we could have in a movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"