1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.
    Dismiss Notice

Superman Returns Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Superman Returns' started by Superark, Jan 7, 2014.

1. titansupes Registered

I have a lot of nostalgia for Superman Returns, and particularly Routh and yes, his suit.

Like Andino, I've come to appreciate it more since Man of Steel came out. It's a bit 'nicer' of a movie. I don't really know how to articulate it.

As far which movie is better/my preferred, I guess Man of Steel. But... it's a lot closer than I'd hoped.

2. samsnee Ok

I understand. It was on TV the other day. While the story is still lacking, the cinematography and look is more what I expected a modern Superman movie to look like. When he flies back to the fortress of solitude for the first time, it's absolutely gorgeous. I actually think it lends itself to a Justice League movie than MOS.

3. Uncle Radiation Registered

I adore Superman Returns.

It's one of the best superhero movies ever made.

4. NewYorkSpider EndGame

I know this movie gets a lot of hate, but I actually liked how they portrayed the character in this movie.

5. Spider-Goblin Registered

I love the alternate opening of this movie

6. SpideyK Registered

I really like this movie, always did.

8.2/10.

7. sf2 Registered

alternate opening? how?

btw, i was hoping Brandon Routh for a tv series superman. as atom man... a consolation price... i guess it isn't too bad...

8. Green Goblin True Red & Blues

Watched this for the first time last month! Not a great film but underrated.

9. BH/HHH You Are My World

What did you like and what didn't you like?

10. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Caught some of Returns on HBO the other day.

I don't know...there is some beauty to this movie. I really dig John Ottman's score, and some of the visuals are great. There are flight sequences in the movie that I find to look better than anything in MoS. The main problem for me is that the melodramatic elements with Lois/Jason and the bright and chipper Donner throwback tone never really mesh together. Routh and Bosworth are both too young to really lend the roles the credibility they need. The problem is that they cast them young thinking franchise, but then really wrote themselves into a corner with the story and obviously the movie didn't do what WB hoped. Also Richard is probably the most likable character in the movie, which is kinda weird.

I think the best way I can put it is, it's a movie that serves its role as something you happen to catch on TV. It's not a movie I'll probably ever decide to sit down and watch any time soon, but it's nice to catch some of it and be reminded of some of the things it did well.

Oddly enough I feel like Star Wars: The Force Awakens is kind of a successful version of what Superman Returns was going for.

#35 BatLobster, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Awest66 likes this.
  11. BH/HHH You Are My World

Agreed on TFA been a more successful version, I even said when I reviews TFA that it reminded me of Superman Returns in what it wanted to do but it was a more entertaining result.

Totally agree on the Ottman score too, it might actually be my favourite Superman movie score of them all.

12. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Watched this again as going to see BvS in the week, I still love this movie, it still has moments which make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. And I still feel there is a lot of heart to the movie and Routh was never rated in the role.

It's the Superman movie which got me more into the character and got me reading the comic so I will always appreciate it, but even as a movie I still enjoy it a lot.

13. schereZada Lois Loan

My feelings exactly.

14. Broseph44 Witness Me

Just re-watched this again for the first time last night in a long time, and I still really love this movie.

15. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I did a recent re-watch as well and still like it a lot!

16. Broseph44 Witness Me

And you guys were making some great points too about the score, it's great.

17. Micromind New World New Rules

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#42 Micromind, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  18. Micromind New World New Rules

19. Micromind New World New Rules

20. Micromind New World New Rules

Still the best Superman wallpaper.

[​IMG]

21. Micromind New World New Rules

I don't know if you have seen this deleted scene or not, but this was supposed to be the opening scene of the movie, it cost them 10 mil.

[YT]GRV_Mfgv3QU[/YT]

22. Pittman4Two Registered

Just watched this again recently. I think it's so very close to being second to the original. I wish the reds were more vibrant on the suit, wasn't a fan of Bosworth as Lois, and finally the kid...just thought that was forced.

Otherwise, I don't get all the criticism about this one trying to be a carbon copy of the Reeve films. Isn't that what sequels are all about?

23. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Still a big fan of those movie despite liking what came after, I am due a re-watch soon, shame we never got that 3 hour version but I can't see Singer working in Hollywood much anymore.

24. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

There are a few elements I like such as the Metropolis set design, the airplane sequence, and parts of the score. But not enough to make me love the film as a whole.

SuperRouth likes this.
  25. SuperRouth Registered

Right there with you, I find Superman Returns a little frustrating. Similar to Batman Forever (but it’s a better movie than BF). But the film has all the right ingredients to be great but it just isn’t. It has moments of greatness (Superman saving the plane, Superman saves Metropolis montage etc) but it’s surround by all this stuff that doesn’t work like Bosworth’s Lois Lane, the kid etc. They really could have made the greatest Superman movie ever (even with Bosworth as Lois, while she’s definitely miscast, a better written Lois would have helped her greatly). The film really should have been a reboot or just another Superman movie that doesn’t directly tie to the Reeve movies but could have still been a quasi sequel.