Superman Returns Superman Returns has Oscar Considerations

the only Oscar chances SR has are in the Visual Effects type categories.

If they seriously consider SR to on par for Best Picture, Best Actor, etc.........that's stretching it.......

If it actually gets nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, etc.........I will explode ( not from excitement.......but from sheer utter disbelief ).

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
Same here, most (there one or two bad shots but no more than that) of the flying scene's in SR are much better than the one's in the FF2 trailer, not to mention the flying in SR is a lot more realistic. Look at the scene in FF2 teaser were SS and the Torch fly down the street past a load of cars, there are 2 or 3 people just as close to the characters as the cars are, and yet the cars get flipped over and NOTHING happens to the people, very unrealistic and a poor scene IMO.

-when we see superman in slo womtion flying pass the bullets. the bullets are flying extreme slow like superman. but the cape moves very fast.
-when superman puts down the plane. where is he holding it? the plane is very strong there since it was made for superman to grab it there right?
-superman holds the big NK right in the middle. and he found the right spot under teh ground right?
-lois in the plane. just lois in the plane is enough to mention.
-having at night green desaturated clouds.
-when the bullet is falling down of superman eye we have a nother slow motion. the guys head is very fast right?
-moving of the cape. they admited that they didnt make it realistic because it didnt look cool enough. the cape looked incredible when moving. thats my opinion of course. but it was not realistic.
-changing of colors. red doesnt change to almost brown because if lighitning.
-fotress ship falling at the kent farm. the whole was not big enough. noone noticed anything.
-superman missing for 5 years. clark kent gone for 5 years. after 5 years superman returns less then 4 hourse after clark. bottomline clark comes back the same day than superman after 5 years. the same day.
-when superman is lifting the shutle from the plane the cape looks very short.
-again catching the globe. again in the midle. teh globe doesnt fall from the car.
-always when superman lands hes hair is perfect. in the air it is always moving. wet hair going dry in seconds.
-flying very fast through the DP building. superman hurted nobody in the building. oh yes he is sueprman. he was flying very fast but not so fast that people would fall down or anything.

90% of what i wrotte is nitpicking. at the end of the day it is a movie. dont try to explain that you like SR flying better because it is more real than in the FF2 teaser.

i could wrotte more but i just have not the nervest to come up with this bull...t.

Look at the scene in FF2 teaser were SS and the Torch fly down the street past a load of cars, there are 2 or 3 people just as close to the characters as the cars are, and yet the cars get flipped over and NOTHING happens to the people, very unrealistic and a poor scene IMO.

There's also more horizontal surface area under a car to react to air pressure than on a person. That's why a 2-ton plane will fly when moving at 120 knots, and a 160-lb person will not.

In a realistic, non-superhero world, of course. :woot: :oldrazz:

Comic book films are still seen as kiddie popcorn fluff, regardless of how dramatic or grounded they try to make them. They won't be winning any director/actor/screenplay awards for a long time, except at the People's Choice and MTV awards.

When Batman came out in 1989 alot of people thought Jack Nicolson should of got the Oscar or at least been nominated. Ever since then nobody has takes any comic book movie seriously, not even enough to be nominated, other than for the visual effects category of course.

-when we see superman in slo womtion flying pass the bullets. the bullets are flying extreme slow like superman. but the cape moves very fast.
-when superman puts down the plane. where is he holding it? the plane is very strong there since it was made for superman to grab it there right?
-superman holds the big NK right in the middle. and he found the right spot under teh ground right?
-lois in the plane. just lois in the plane is enough to mention.
-having at night green desaturated clouds.
-when the bullet is falling down of superman eye we have a nother slow motion. the guys head is very fast right?
-moving of the cape. they admited that they didnt make it realistic because it didnt look cool enough. the cape looked incredible when moving. thats my opinion of course. but it was not realistic.
-changing of colors. red doesnt change to almost brown because if lighitning.
-fotress ship falling at the kent farm. the whole was not big enough. noone noticed anything.
-superman missing for 5 years. clark kent gone for 5 years. after 5 years superman returns less then 4 hourse after clark. bottomline clark comes back the same day than superman after 5 years. the same day.
-when superman is lifting the shutle from the plane the cape looks very short.
-again catching the globe. again in the midle. teh globe doesnt fall from the car.
-always when superman lands hes hair is perfect. in the air it is always moving. wet hair going dry in seconds.
-flying very fast through the DP building. superman hurted nobody in the building. oh yes he is sueprman. he was flying very fast but not so fast that people would fall down or anything.

90% of what i wrotte is nitpicking. at the end of the day it is a movie. dont try to explain that you like SR flying better because it is more real than in the FF2 teaser.

i could wrotte more but i just have not the nervest to come up with this bull...t.

I don't understand your response, I thought you were comparing flying in FF2 with flying in Superman Returns. What does wet hair or the ship landing scene have to do with it?

The FF2 Teaser is very cool and pleasing to the eye, but both characters are CGI and therefore easier to manipulate in flying sequences.

I don't understand your response, I thought you were comparing flying in FF2 with flying in Superman Returns. What does wet hair or the ship landing scene have to do with it?

The FF2 Teaser is very cool and pleasing to the eye, but both characters are CGI and therefore easier to manipulate in flying sequences.
i wrotte that to him because he said that he likes SR more because it is realistic and FF not.

i wrotte that to him because he said that he likes SR more because it is realistic and FF not.

Oh I see. I apologize DB.

I don't think you could call any comic book movie realistic, but I think Singer tried to ground Returns into reality more than others.

and looked 100 times better then rouths boogie board flying.... hell even reeve looked better flying then routh

and looked 100 times better then rouths boogie board flying.... hell even reeve looked better flying then routh
The problem was we barely even saw Routh flying, it was a CGI model and so we were just watching flying which was more fake than before. It lost its humanity that Reeve used to make the flying work.

I LOVE Scorsese, and I loved THE DEPARTED (I think it should win "Best Picture" hands down). But, I think that Bryan Singer should at least get nominated, if not win Best Director. Why? Does anyone realize just how hard a film this film was to direct? How many people were involved? How much FX? The fact that the plane sequence was shot so beautifully and most of it only existed in his mind (imagery, camera angles, movements, cuts, etc all from his imagination). Directing all of these scenes are very, very hard. The man has said himself that it is harder to direct a superhero film than it is for a smaller picture (like THE USUAL SUSPECTS). It's time that a director was recognized for their work on one of these huge imaginative and innovative movies. Rami should have been for SPIDER-MAN 2, and Nolan should have been for BATMAN BEGINS. It's time.

If not, Rami still has SPIDER-MAN 3 and Nolan has THE DARK KNIGHT to convince these people that to direct a superhero film respectfully, successfully, artfully, and cleanly is Oscar-worthy.

-R

The problem was we barely even saw Routh flying, it was a CGI model and so we were just watching flying which was more fake than before. It lost its humanity that Reeve used to make the flying work.

Again, not quite. Routh filmed a lot of the flying scenes, including at least some of the plane rescue. A lot of his stuff was cleaned up and enhanced with CGI so as not to have a lot of restiction during the flying scenes. As good looking as wire flying is (just look at the original Superman), it can still limit movement and does need cleaned up with computers nowadays.

I LOVE Scorsese, and I loved THE DEPARTED (I think it should win "Best Picture" hands down). But, I think that Bryan Singer should at least get nominated, if not win Best Director. Why? Does anyone realize just how hard a film this film was to direct? How many people were involved? How much FX? The fact that the plane sequence was shot so beautifully and most of it only existed in his mind (imagery, camera angles, movements, cuts, etc all from his imagination). Directing all of these scenes are very, very hard. The man has said himself that it is harder to direct a superhero film than it is for a smaller picture (like THE USUAL SUSPECTS). It's time that a director was recognized for their work on one of these huge imaginative and innovative movies. Rami should have been for SPIDER-MAN 2, and Nolan should have been for BATMAN BEGINS. It's time.

If not, Rami still has SPIDER-MAN 3 and Nolan has THE DARK KNIGHT to convince these people that to direct a superhero film respectfully, successfully, artfully, and cleanly is Oscar-worthy.

-R

Scorpion King, The Mummy, and Poseidon had a ton of effects and tons of people working on them. Does that merit an oscar nomination, or do they have to be based on comic books?

Yeah those wires were really pretty. The flying in Superman Returns came off much better in my opinion. I didn't even think twice about how fake it looked, except for some weird sequences with needless CGI.

Scorpion King, The Mummy, and Poseidon had a ton of effects and tons of people working on them. Does that merit an oscar nomination, or do they have to be based on comic books?
The difference was that the effects, and scenes and imagery in the three movies I stated, as well as the overall direction was better than the three that you stated...It can be a non-superhero film (LORD OF THE RINGS, KING KONG) that is a big special FX movie...but I think that movies like BATMAN BEGINS, SPIDER-MAN 2, SIN CITY, and SUPERMAN RETURNS deserved to be recognized.

-R

The difference was that the effects, and scenes and imagery in the three movies I stated, as well as the overall direction was better than the three that you stated...It can be a non-superhero film (LORD OF THE RINGS, KING KONG) that is a big special FX movie...but I think that movies like BATMAN BEGINS, SPIDER-MAN 2, SIN CITY, and SUPERMAN RETURNS deserved to be recognized.

-R

So an award for 'best director of a good movie with tons of effects and people working on them'? Because the 'best director' award hasn't excluded or been affected by effects, budget, or number of employees. Ang Lee has won for Brokeback, Cameron for Titanic, Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby, Jackson for LOTR. The academy doesn't have to start making exceptions in their best director award qualifications just so the 'better' effects movies can get more recognition. Should spoof movies and teen horror-flicks start getting more recognition via the 'best director' or any other award as well? Let the movies handle their own recognition, and let the academy handle the awards.

bump
In a little while the nominees will be announced.:cwink:

complete list

1. Best Picture: "Babel," "The Departed," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Little Miss Sunshine," "The Queen."

2. Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"; Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"; Peter O'Toole, "Venus"; Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"; Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland."

3. Actress: Penelope Cruz, "Volver"; Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"; Helen Mirren, "The Queen"; Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"; Kate Winslet, "Little Children."

4. Supporting Actor: Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"; Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"; Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"; Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed."

5. Supporting Actress: Adriana Barraza, "Babel"; Cate Blanchett, "Notes on a Scandal"; Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"; Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel."

6. Directing: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"; Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"; Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Stephen Frears, "The Queen"; Paul Greengrass, "United 93."

7. Foreign Language Film: "After the Wedding," Denmark; "Days of Glory (Indigenes)," Algeria; "The Lives of Others," Germany; "Pan's Labyrinth," Mexico; "Water," Canada.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Sacha Baron Cohen and Anthony Hines and Peter Baynham and Dan Mazer and Todd Phillips, "Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"; Alfonso Cuaron and Timothy J. Sexton and David Arata and Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men"; William Monahan, "The Departed"; Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"; Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal."

9. Original Screenplay: Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"; Iris Yama****a and Paul Haggis, "Letters From Iwo Jima"; Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine"; Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth"; Peter Morgan, "The Queen."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Cars," "Happy Feet," "Monster House."

11. Art Direction: "Dreamgirls," "The Good Shepherd," "Pan's Labyrinth," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "The Prestige."

12. Cinematography: "The Black Dahlia," "Children of Men," "The Illusionist," "Pan's Labyrinth," "The Prestige."

13. Sound Mixing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Dreamgirls," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

14. Sound Editing: "Apocalypto," "Blood Diamond," "Flags of Our Fathers," "Letters From Iwo Jima," "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest."

15. Original Score: "Babel," Gustavo Santaolalla; "The Good German," Thomas Newman; "Notes on a Scandal," Philip Glass; "Pan's Labyrinth," Javier Navarrete; "The Queen," Alexandre Desplat.

16. Original Song: "I Need to Wake Up" from "An Inconvenient Truth," Melissa Etheridge; "Listen" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven; "Love You I Do" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Siedah Garrett; "Our Town" from "Cars," Randy Newman; "Patience" from "Dreamgirls," Henry Krieger and Willie Reale.

17. Costume: "Curse of the Golden Flower," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Dreamgirls," "Marie Antoinette," "The Queen."

18. Documentary Feature: "Deliver Us From Evil," "An Inconvenient Truth," "Iraq in Fragments," "Jesus Camp," "My Country, My Country."

19. Documentary (short subject): "The Blood of Yingzhou District," "Recycled Life," "Rehearsing a Dream," "Two Hands."

20. Film Editing: "Babel," "Blood Diamond," "Children of Men," "The Departed," "United 93."

21. Makeup: "Apocalypto," "Click," "Pan's Labyrinth."

22. Animated Short Film: "The Danish Poet," "Lifted," "The Little Matchgirl," "Maestro," "No Time for Nuts."

23. Live Action Short Film: "Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)," "Eramos Pocos (One Too Many)," "Helmer & Son," "The Saviour," "West Bank Story."

24. Visual Effects: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," "Poseidon," "Superman Returns."

Academy Award winners previously announced this year:

HONORARY AWARD (Oscar statuette): Ennio Morricone

JEAN HERSHOLT HUMANITARIAN AWARD (Oscar statuette): Sherry Lansing

i think the award will go to Pirates of the Carribean the cgi looked amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"