Superman Returns Superman Returns has Oscar Considerations

bunk said:
*sigh* That's what I figured...way to cite some examples there. You are by far, the worst at backing up statements on this entire message board. :csad:
"Backing up"? See....again, you're still barking up the wrong tree, fella. It was never about backing up or points or what have you,...it 's about you....letting it go. As in move on...as in back away...as in stop embarassing yourself, and back up your 'bye's and 'ciao's by actually staying gone. That's all you had to do, all this time....but it's not too late. :up: Give it a shot and see what happens.

Dan33977 said:
...besides SNAKES ON A PLANE! :whatever:

And SNAKES ON A PLANE isn't? :whatever:
Snakes is a fun entertaining movie. Key word being "entertaining". SR was as boring as looking at a bowl of oatmeal go cold.

DrMylesOBoogie said:
Snakes is a fun entertaining movie. Key word being "entertaining". SR was as boring as looking at a bowl of oatmeal go cold.
Don't knock it until you've tried it :cmad:

Zen Ith said:
Don't knock it until you've tried it :cmad:
are you referring to SR or cold oatmeal?... because I have tried cold oatmeal, and it's disgusting, and I have watched SR, and it's very boring.

I'm considering selling it...

Dan33977 said:
You're easily entertained.:whatever:
I probably am but I still found SR to be the biggest dud since Di Caprio declared himself the "king of the world".

this movie doesn't deserve a second viewing. it was so ... plain. it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it just left me with a "so what?" kind of feeling. also, the visual effects were subpar at best.

darwinwins said:
this movie doesn't deserve a second viewing. it was so ... plain. it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination but it just left me with a "so what?" kind of feeling. also, the visual effects were subpar at best.

I have not seen the FF2 trailer/teaser but they are saying it blows the SR stuff away. I don't doubt those reports.

lexlives said:
I have not seen the FF2 trailer/teaser but they are saying it blows the SR stuff away. I don't doubt those reports.
i refused to see the first FF but its effects on the trailers were better than superman returns. it makes me weep.

They've added another Oscar print ad to Oscarwatch.com.

supermanhh1.jpg

Source: http://www.oscarwatch.com/FYC/gallery/2006-07/photo.php?id=542

I liked the F42 teaser,but i dont think it blows S.R. away....the scene with johnny, looks like the scene in S.R., when supes falls back to earth..

DrMylesOBoogie said:
How can they be lobbying for Ottman to be nominated for "Best ORIGINAL score"?
Yeah, that's not right.

It is a great score with a lot of good original music, but it also has so much John Williams in it, I don't see how it could justifiably win.

GreenKToo said:
I liked the F42 teaser,but i dont think it blows S.R. away....the scene with johnny, looks like the scene in S.R., when supes falls back to earth..

No it didn't. The flying scenes int he F42 trailer were far more creative and original than anything seen in SR. The flying scenes in SR were only marginally better than the Reeves films.

I disagree strongly.

i'm more of a marvel fans , but althought nice (fun to see the torch chasing the surfer ) the teaser didn't "put me" with the torch and the surfer in the air at full speed.

Singer did . he is just a better director imo.

Singer's a better overall director than Story, yes, but he sucks at action scenes and CGI. He doesn't have the vision of great action directors like Cameron or Spielberg. Story isn't on the level with those two, but as far as action scenes he's better than Singer.

Singer's vision for Superman's flight was bland and unimaginitive. It really was no different than the Reeve's films. Perhaps some of that was to match style, but it came off looking boring and drab. The CGI was plain awful.

Superman was basically shown flying in one direction with little motion or direction change. In that short little 1 min 30 second FF trailer, you see the Torch and surfer covering all sorts of ground.

I'm not sure who did the effects on SR, probably ILM. Weta Digital is doing FF2, and you can tell the difference in creativity.

I dont understand how you can call the SR CGI awful, that had to be some of the best visual effects that ive seen. Silver surfer looked pretty bad in my opinion when they zoomed in on his face. And the torch just looks average in my opinion. Also the quick scene where hes chasing the silver surfer over the forest looks like complete crap.

Tony Stark said:
Singer's a better overall director than Story, yes,

we agree on that matter .

and i would agree on all your other points back in the Xmen 1 era.

nowaydays , when he does action flying scenes (among other action scene )he is really imaginative , powerful and suspensful imo .

Let's agree to disagree :cwink:

SuperAl said:
I dont understand how you can call the SR CGI awful, that had to be some of the best visual effects that ive seen. Silver surfer looked pretty bad in my opinion when they zoomed in on his face. And the torch just looks average in my opinion. Also the quick scene where hes chasing the silver surfer over the forest looks like complete crap.

Same here, most (there one or two bad shots but no more than that) of the flying scene's in SR are much better than the one's in the FF2 trailer, not to mention the flying in SR is a lot more realistic. Look at the scene in FF2 teaser were SS and the Torch fly down the street past a load of cars, there are 2 or 3 people just as close to the characters as the cars are, and yet the cars get flipped over and NOTHING happens to the people, very unrealistic and a poor scene IMO.

well the oscar for visual effects is clearly gonna be between SR and POTC2, and SR is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better film, but the effects on Davey Jones are amazing.

I think this could go either way, but SR will get it for nostalgic value

Cyrusbales said:
well the oscar for visual effects is clearly gonna be between SR and POTC2, and SR is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better film, but the effects on Davey Jones are amazing.

Agreed, the effects in both were mostly stunning, but with SR being the better movie critically, it may just get the nod.

Ok the FF2 trailer was cool and all. Now, having seen FF1 I can surely say such piece of crap excuse for a movie has little-to-nothing to show any other movie; maybe Catwoman for that matter.

Cyrusbales said:

Davey Jones wasn't the only thing that movie had going on in terms of effects, though. A submersible tall ship, attacks by a giant cepholopod, sea-creature crewmen, and a whole lot of it in direct sunlight really set the bar higher than any film this past year. The scale, scope, interaction, and saturation of effects throughout the entire movie make POTC2 a sure bet, to me. Not that SR had only two effects shots or what have you, but POTC2 was definitely more of an effects extravaganza. Plus, the success of the film doesn't hurt in the popularity-card department. I think it's a done deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"