Dear WB, your supposed 2009 blockbusters continue to fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be probably have more... threatening competition during summer and after SR, WB may prefer to give him some space to build up excitement for the masses. That's the only reason I can think of, though it largely depends -as I see it- on what else they have for the summers of years to come.

It'll be probably have more... threatening competition during summer and after SR, WB may prefer to give him some space to build up excitement for the masses. That's the only reason I can think of, though it largely depends -as I see it- on what else they have for the summers of years to come.
Sounds more like a show of weakness than going for the gold. I would say only go for a winter release if a) there's definitely no sign of other competition, and b) you're just not confident enough to step up with other movies slated for that Summer.

Every Summer movie has large threatening competition and quite a few make it out okay.

I think that Summer is a fine time to release a Superman movie, just make it exciting along with dramatic the next time around and you will have a hit. Maybe not a huge one the first time out but you can get the word out that the franchise is exciting again...kinda like a certain space based movie is doing this Summer. Then make a killing on DVD.

Thats not an impossible mission for Superman...if WB is willing to drop the obsession with the Donnerverse.

Its way more than "Donnerverse"; there is a certain type of story and a certain way tod o it that w.b. must do in order make the kinda film that will sell in todays world...RETURNS wasnt that. Abrams script was. Superman has to have a sense of excitement to it.

I would think that a well-made Superman movie would be an ideal Summer flick, no?

The ideal Superman film is a cross between Spiderman 1 romance and heroism with Star Wars sense of fun, scope, and adventure; hell yes its the perfect summer film.

Either that or....I've always been fond of Autumn. :O

Third Wednesday of October, yo? :up:

It all depends. If its going to be a summer release it needs to be a certain type of film; if winter is the same way. RETURNS is a slower, less popcorny film thats more in line with the kind fo blockbusters released in winter. Its where critic pleasers go.

Summer is more about CROWD pleasing; they need to be fun and more popcorny, which doesnt always mean critic pleasing. Returns was the opposite of a crowd pleaser.

Every Summer movie has large threatening competition and quite a few make it out okay.

I think that Summer is a fine time to release a Superman movie, just make it exciting along with dramatic the next time around and you will have a hit. Maybe not a huge one the first time out but you can get the word out that the franchise is exciting again...kinda like a certain space based movie is doing this Summer. Then make a killing on DVD.

Thats not an impossible mission for Superman...if WB is willing to drop the obsession with the Donnerverse.
I think that if a movie is really good...Spring/Summer works in its favor moreso than the competition takes away from it.

Its way more than "Donnerverse"; there is a certain type of story and a certain way tod o it that w.b. must do in order make the kinda film that will sell in todays world...RETURNS wasnt that. Abrams script was. Superman has to have a sense of excitement to it.

The ideal Superman film is a cross between Spiderman 1 romance and heroism with Star Wars sense of fun, scope, and adventure; hell yes its the perfect summer film.
Me liking Trek and disliking Superman Returns isn't going to change my opinion about Abrams ideas. They sucked, they were way too far out.

Now I'd like an Abrams "type" directing the next Superman flick but I'd like a decent script to go along with that director.

It all depends. If its going to be a summer release it needs to be a certain type of film; if winter is the same way. RETURNS is a slower, less popcorny film thats more in line with the kind fo blockbusters released in winter. Its where critic pleasers go.
SR wouldn't have fared much better in Winter. It still would've been that same movie....plus, I think that more people are going to movies in the Summer anyway.

Summer is more about CROWD pleasing; they need to be fun and more popcorny, which doesnt always mean critic pleasing. Returns was the opposite of a crowd pleaser.
I say they go with whatever season they want with the next movie, but still make it as good as it can be. Enjoyable movie experiences are never out of season. :up:

If Star Trek came out in November, it's not like people would be saying "Dude....wrong month...." after watching it. :D

Abrams "ideas" were adding the sci fi element and giving supes a physical villain, 2 things that are nessecary.

Abrams "ideas" were adding the sci fi element and giving supes a physical villain, 2 things that are nessecary.
I didn't say all of his ideas were bad. As far as reinventing the series I think that Abrams had the right idea, I just didn't like alot of those reinventions.

Abrams ideas sucked. Superman doesn't need reinventions. Just a good story with action and the essence of the characters.

Abrams script is LAUGHABLE. C'mon. Super poop. Kryptonian Bong...

Abrams ideas sucked. Superman doesn't need reinventions. Just a good story with action and the essence of the characters.

Abrams script is LAUGHABLE. C'mon. Super poop. Kryptonian Bong...
Yes Superman does need to be reinvented. The staus quo ain't going to work forever and the reception of Superman Returns shows that to be a fact.

He DOES NOT. People need to write great stories using the character and that's a big difference. Go read Action Comics #775, Superman for all seasons and all and tell me those stories AREN'T GOOD.

The status quo IS going to work forever because character is so good. We just need people who know the mythos and are able to explore it to the fullest potential by making a fun and entertaining story while being faithful to the essence of what made the characters so appealing through the years.

Superman just need to be translated WELL FOR ONCE and you aren't going to achieve that by changing the essential parts. Smallville and SR are proof of this.

He DOES NOT. People need to write great stories using the character and that's a big difference. Go read Action Comics #775, Superman for all seasons and all and tell me those stories AREN'T GOOD.

The status quo IS going to work forever because character is so good. We just need people who know the mythos and are able to explore it to the fullest potential by making a fun and entertaining story while being faithful to the essence of what made the characters so appealing through the years.

Superman just need to be translated WELL FOR ONCE and you aren't going to achieve that by changing the essential parts. Smallville and SR are proof of this.
I don't think you understand what I'm talking about when I say reinvented.

The character doesn't need to be reinvented....the experience does.

I'm not talking about giving him a sex change.:whatever:

Right now the character is seen as dull as dirt.

He can stay a nice big hearted guy but he needs to be more charismatically portrayed. I also wouldn't mind some serious Batman movie style updates to his costume and no I don't mean that s**tty rubber that all of the Batman directors insist on using. Yes I know Superman suit is more iconic than Batman's...or atleast I think it is but I don't think that most would care if the undies were ditched. But ofcourse the color scheme must be kept. Hell it might give the movie some interesting buzz before it comes out. I know that 95% of the fans are going to disagree with me on the suit thing but I'm sticking to my guns on that.

I don't care what the comics are doing right now they need to move as far away from Donnerverse as possible. I don't want a dark Superman movie so thats not what I'm talking about. I don't have all the details put together in my head right now but I'm sure that my ideas wouldn't be totally well recieved by the people who want to see the same movie franchise that began 30+ years ago.

I'm not talking about giving him a sex change.:whatever:

Right now the character is seen as dull as dirt.

He can stay a nice big hearted guy but he needs to be more charismatically portrayed. I also wouldn't mind some serious Batman movie style updates to his costume and no I don't mean that s**tty rubber that all of the Batman directors insist on using. Yes I know Superman suit is more iconic than Batman's...or atleast I think it is but I don't think that most would care if the undies were ditched. But ofcourse the color scheme must be kept. Hell it might give the movie some interesting buzz before it comes out. I know that 95% of the fans are going to disagree with me on the suit thing but I'm sticking to my guns on that.

I don't care what the comics are doing right now they need to move as far away from Donnerverse as possible. I don't want a dark Superman movie so thats not what I'm talking about. I don't have all the details put together in my head right now but I'm sure that my ideas wouldn't be totally well recieved by the people who want to see the same movie franchise that began 30+ years ago.
I get what your saying. He will need an update to draw in the GA, and i'm sure WB knows this. As much as it will pain the fans, I can see them making Supes hip and kool for the next film. They'll want to appease the GA first to make the largest B.O. possible, and since we (the fans) make up a tiny fraction of it, I can see us getting the short end of the stick.
Gawd I hope i'm wrong.

WB isn't obsessed with Donnerverse, Singer was. WB was ready to film the Abrams version of Superman. You can't get any farther away from the Donnerverse than that Abrams version.

Agreed. Nothing needs to be done with the character, we just need him in some exciting thrilling action sequences throughout the film and he needs a villain he can go toe to toe with physically. IMO, it really is that simple. No kind of overreaction to the character is necessary. Just no more ridiculously boring "evil" land schemes.

The "status quo" of Superman compared to other comic book heros is that he is BORING. Not that he lacks the ability for thrilling action sequences, but audiences cant relate to him, so they dont care about what happens to him or the people he cares for.

THAT is what needs to change and its what Abrams absolutley nailed; as somebody already said, he perfectly captured what would make a modern Superman tick in a way Singerdidnt even attempt...that is what needs to be "reinvented".

You guys who completely over simplify it with a good story or thrilling actions are not grasping at the real issue. The way Superman is portrayed on the big screen needs to do a legit. 360.

Abrams ideas for Superman were atrocious. Just because he the threw some action and Sci Fi in there and because Star Trek is performing well; doesn't mean he is should start sending out greeting cards with him dressed as Superman just yet.

Singer couldn't let go of the past, WB couldn't let go of the past, and it cost them. Now some of the posters on the board can't let go of the past. Abrams wrote that script in 2002, it's not going to see the light of day on the big screen. Sure you might see elements of it in a future Superman movie, but don't hold your breath. Suit in a can isn't happening, Kryptonian Lex isn't happening. Ty Zor isn't flying through that door.

There are many capable writers and directors out there capable of bringing a refreshing take on Superman. Abrams isn't the only director in town, he is just the flavor of the month right now.

The problem seems to be WB, and now that Terminator is going to flop, that doesn't necessarily help Superman.

Last edited:
The "status quo" of Superman compared to other comic book heros is that he is BORING. Not that he lacks the ability for thrilling action sequences, but audiences cant relate to him, so they dont care about what happens to him or the people he cares for.

THAT is what needs to change and its what Abrams absolutley nailed; as somebody already said, he perfectly captured what would make a modern Superman tick in a way Singerdidnt even attempt...that is what needs to be "reinvented".

You guys who completely over simplify it with a good story or thrilling actions are not grasping at the real issue. The way Superman is portrayed on the big screen needs to do a legit. 360.
you are a little obssesed with Abrams superman script arent you :yay:

Im well aware Abrams script isnt getting made and Im not saying thats what i want. I am just using it as an example of an actual superman script (as opposed to broad ideas like "getting the essence of the characters") that got certain fundamental parts of the film RIGHT. Other ideas of his 1st draft were ******ed (and if were on the topic, everybody is aware Krypto Lex and suit in can were gone by the 2nd draft of what, 30? I think its time we stop acting like that was actually going to be on the big screen), which is why you wont hear me saying I want that made.

Ive been saying he got a lot right in his script for years; it has NOTHING to do with Star Trek or its success :lmao:

For a character you claim some people find boring and for a movie some people find dull, SR still managed $200 mil domestic and had pretty good reviews. $200 mil for a movie where not one punch was thrown! The movie didn't bomb, it only disappointed but people still showed up. Superman on film only needs to be tweaked. It doesn't need an absud Abramslike take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"