Superman Returns Kevin Smith Rips On Superman Returns

I applaud your Mel Brooks random and unneded inclusion. That made you able to deviate and distort the whole subject so you can claim it's useless to reply.

Anyway I see in your future... a reply to this.

He may not reply but you are going to get a puff puff pass reply from me. Seriously I would either need to be high as a kite like you apparently are or hit in the head with a large blunt object to again think in any way shape or form Singer matches up to Mel Brooks because he doesn't and never will.

He may not reply but you are going to get a puff puff pass reply from me.

I'll pass but just when I'm quite stoned, puffy one.

Seriously I would either need to be high as a kite like you apparently are or hit in the head with a large blunt object to again think in any way shape or form Singer matches up to Mel Brooks because he doesn't and never will.

Singer is so much better is not even funny. Just like Mel Brooks.

I'll pass but just when I'm quite stoned, puffy one.

Singer is so much better is not even funny. Just like Mel Brooks.

If you are not going to puff puff pass then keep the Singer is better than Mel Brooks to yourself because while you are selling no one is buying it except you.
Unless you as stated puff puff pass then we can all be deluded and think someone like an Icon like Mel Brooks can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Singer.

If you are not going to puff puff pass then keep the Singer is better than Mel Brooks to yourself because while you are selling no one is buying it except you.
Unless you as stated puff puff pass then we can all be deluded and think someone like an Icon like Mel Brooks can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Singer.

Puff puff and not pass would be the only chance to laugh while watching some Mel Brooks movie at the same time.

once again, why does anyone care what kevin smith says? everytime he says something its a big deal to fans. wow his opinion matters because he made clerks? and appeared in daredevil. wow lets all listen to what he says! god this thread shouldnt even be here, no offence Showtime

Nope , i'm saying it too ,(and especially these days ) and because you insist to play that game a majority of critics like Singer too.:yay:

you don't like him ? fine . but don't try to pass YOUR opinion as a fact :cwink:

ps: now i find absurd to even begin to compare Brooks ( that i like ) to Singer because their works are way different.

I don't like Smith's films because they always start out good then he ruins them in act 3.

But I do agree with him about SR.

A tangential discussion also arose about the Superman Returns movie -- Smith admitted not liking it. "It was kind of....boring," he said, before launching into a diatribe on the lameness of Lex Luthor and the silliness of pitting a superhuman alien against a real-estate scam artist.

Smith must have hated Superman: The Movie, then. Because that film pitted a superhuman alien against a real-estate scam artist. And I'm sure Smith regards it as one of the greatest comic book films of all time.

In other words, this is yet another instance of Smith talking out of both sides of his mouth. I was at a convention once where someone asked Smith about some lawsuit against Burton. Smith explained that a reporter had asked him if he felt Burton's ending from Planet of the Apes was a rip-off from a similar scene in the Jay & Silent Bob comic and Smith jokingly replied that he's thinking of consulting a lawyer. Smith said it got back to Burton who said he didn't rip-off Smith's comic because Burton doesn't read comics. Smith then quipped, "which explains Batman." Yet Smith also counts Batman as one of his favorite comic book movies.

Kevin Smith is just a comic fan who makes comedies. That's it. He's not a sci-fi director. He's never directed a Superman film, he's never written a Superman comic book, and his only association with the character is writing a screenplay that was filed in the circular cabinet. So I fail to see why his opinion of Superman Returns matters.

In fact, I think we should instead look at the opinion of Richard Donner. Y'know, the guy who actually made Superman: The Movie and set a standard for comic book movies, so much so that his comic book film is still regarded as one of the best, even almost thirty years later and despite how dated Superman: The Movie is. And Donner? He loved Superman Returns.

So it occurs to me that Donner's opinion holds slightly more weight than a comic fan who makes stoner comedies.

Smith must have hated Superman: The Movie, then. Because that film pitted a superhuman alien against a real-estate scam artist. And I'm sure Smith regards it as one of the greatest comic book films of all time.

In other words, this is yet another instance of Smith talking out of both sides of his mouth. I was at a convention once where someone asked Smith about some lawsuit against Burton. Smith explained that a reporter had asked him if he felt Burton's ending from Planet of the Apes was a rip-off from a similar scene in the Jay & Silent Bob comic and Smith jokingly replied that he's thinking of consulting a lawyer. Smith said it got back to Burton who said he didn't rip-off Smith's comic because Burton doesn't read comics. Smith then quipped, "which explains Batman." Yet Smith also counts Batman as one of his favorite comic book movies.

Kevin Smith is just a comic fan who makes comedies. That's it. He's not a sci-fi director. He's never directed a Superman film, he's never written a Superman comic book, and his only association with the character is writing a screenplay that was filed in the circular cabinet. So I fail to see why his opinion of Superman Returns matters.

In fact, I think we should instead look at the opinion of Richard Donner. Y'know, the guy who actually made Superman: The Movie and set a standard for comic book movies, so much so that his comic book film is still regarded as one of the best, even almost thirty years later and despite how dated Superman: The Movie is. And Donner? He loved Superman Returns.

So it occurs to me that Donner's opinion holds slightly more weight than a comic fan who makes stoner comedies.

I agree with nearly everything you said, save for the last parts. I agree Donner opinion matter more, but considering Returns was a sequel/Homage to his old movies. Returns used much of the same stroylines,story elements, characterazation, and etc. Donner has a biased opinion on the subject.

I agree with nearly everything you said, save for the last parts. I agree Donner opinion matter more, but considering Returns was a sequel/Homage to his old movies. Returns used much of the same stroylines,story elements, characterazation, and etc. Donner has a biased opinion on the subject.
By that logic, Smith's opinion is biased because it's just sour grapes since his Superman movie didn't get made.

By that logic, Smith's opinion is biased because it's just sour grapes since his Superman movie didn't get made.

very true, as to why I agree with you, smiths opinion matters nothing at all.

Keven Smith is a schmuck. Anyone with half a brain knows that Singer's SR was based on DONNER'S version of Superman II - not Lester's. With DONNER'S SII, the plot to SR fits right in.

Period, end of story.

He's entitled to his own opinion.

^ Yeah, sometimes he just have to decide what this actually is.

Bryan Singer actually asked for Richard Donner's permission to use the storyline for Returns.

Smith was pretty much right on. He was actually being kind.

So... he rips on Burton using Batman, so that means he doesn't like it?

Or we know he must have Superman: The Movie as one of his favorite films because... because it would make him look bad, right?

Kevin Smith ain't perfect, neither is he a big anything, but he IS funny, and he IS consistent in his viewpoints. This particular talk I thought was head on. Look how much territory Marvel opened up by offing Captain America... the whole Universe is Wide open without having to retell stories from the 50s with yet another modern spin, or tech upgrade.

As for Superman Returns... he's not saying anything that you won't find three threads down from here, so how come when Smith says it he's somehow 'an untalented two faced loser' but when Gobbledygook34 says it we all agree?

Madness...

If I had posted the same thing in this forum you guys would have agreed and posted the link to the thread that was already saying the same thing.

So... he rips on Burton using Batman, so that means he doesn't like it?

Yes.

He says 'Tim Burton said he has never read a comic book in his life. Which explain Batman.' He was obviously saying Batman was a bad movie. But then he says it is good. Whicvh leads us to a even more obvious pint which is that Smith was spitting sour grapes all over because, since he was out of the project, everything involving the Superman project has to be terrible.

Or we know he must have Superman: The Movie as one of his favorite films because... because it would make him look bad, right?

No... why doing that? Why becoming Smith ourselves?

Kevin Smith ain't perfect, neither is he a big anything, but he IS funny

If he invited me to his birthday maybe that could be useful.

he IS consistent in his viewpoints.

I attack Batman as a bad movie. I praise Batman as one of my favourite.

This particular talk I thought was head on. Look how much territory Marvel opened up by offing Captain America... the whole Universe is Wide open without having to retell stories from the 50s with yet another modern spin, or tech upgrade.

Yes, he should be happy for what he has and not sour for what didn't work.

As for Superman Returns... he's not saying anything that you won't find three threads down from here, so how come when Smith says it he's somehow 'an untalented two faced loser' but when Gobbledygook34 says it we all agree?

We all not agree with Gobbley I'm sure.

And if we saw movies made by members of here I'm sure we could analyze them when those members were bashing some other director movies same as we do with Smith.

If I had posted the same thing in this forum you guys would have agreed and posted the link to the thread that was already saying the same thing.

In no case I would have agreed with you.

I attack Batman as a bad movie. I praise Batman as one of my favourite.
So? I don't like Tim Story's version of the F4 but I still like the movie enough to watch it as a funny action movie to kill some time. One thing doesn't rule out the other.

Burton's Batman has little do do with the comics but the movie itself is OK to watch. Burton's style (which he uses in EVERY movie) just happened to match with Batman, dosn't mean it's the perfect rendition of Batman. He even says he never read the comics. Coincidence like it happens every few years with otherwise wrong directors. X-Men <> SR anyone?

Bryan Singer actually asked for Richard Donner's permission to use the storyline for Returns.
I think it was just a courtesy. Singer wasn't so much asking permission as he wanted to know how Donner felt about his using so many direct references to S:TM. Warners owns the character. Singer had carte blanch from Warners to proceed with the script as presented; he didn't need permission from Donner. But he didn't want to step on anybody's toes. He was very nice to the folks from Smallville as well. Gotta give him props for being such a gentleman. :up:

So? I don't like Tim Story's version of the F4 but I still like the movie enough to watch it as a funny action movie to kill some time. One thing doesn't rule out the other.

But FF is not amongst your favourite movies as Smith said Batman was right?

And if it is then it makes both you and Smith inconsistent.

Burton's Batman has little do do with the comics but the movie itself is OK to watch. Burton's style (which he uses in EVERY movie) just happened to match with Batman, dosn't mean it's the perfect rendition of Batman. He even says he never read the comics. Coincidence like it happens every few years with otherwise wrong directors. X-Men <> SR anyone?

Oh yes, it is so exciting to think that reading comic books makes us more talented and deserving of direct a comic movie. As exciting as inaccurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"