Superman Returns Kevin Smith Rips On Superman Returns

But FF is not amongst your favourite movies as Smith said Batman was right?

And if it is then it makes both you and Smith inconsistent.
Nope. And that's really weird now that I think about it. But hell, opinions can change. I bet he saw Burton in a different light once he "crashed" with him back in the late 90's.

Oh yes, it is so exciting to think that reading comic books makes us more talented and deserving of direct a comic movie. As exciting as inaccurate.
Huh? I didn't mean that. But it's stupid to make an adaptation of a comic character and don't even read the comic to know what he's about. That thinking got us enough crap in the past and I'm glad more and more directors/writers take a further look at the comics they're about to adapt.

Nope. And that's really weird now that I think about it. But hell, opinions can change. I bet he saw Burton in a different light once he "crashed" with him back in the late 90's.

I know, that's the point. When your opinion changes drastically once the director you say made one of your favourite movies kicks you out of a project, then we're entitled to point out that that opinion is highly biased and therefore to state a precedent for that bias. Because Superman Returns is precisely the movie he was supposed to write and finally didn't.

Huh? I didn't mean that. But it's stupid to make an adaptation of a comic character and don't even read the comic to know what he's about. That thinking got us enough crap in the past and I'm glad more and more directors/writers take a further look at the comics they're about to adapt.

Still, Daredevil's director read Daredevil's comics and the movie was crap. And in my own opinion, same happens with Raimi and Spiderman 1 (the second one was good.) So my point is you never know. And I don't think Burton or any other non comic-reading director out there didn't read any comics when they knew they were going to direct the project. Same as actors and designers probably have a big amount of material to read and watch before working in movies.

I think it was just a courtesy. Singer wasn't so much asking permission as he wanted to know how Donner felt about his using so many direct references to S:TM. Warners owns the character. Singer had carte blanch from Warners to proceed with the script as presented; he didn't need permission from Donner. But he didn't want to step on anybody's toes. He was very nice to the folks from Smallville as well. Gotta give him props for being such a gentleman. :up:

I'm pretty sure he went to Donner before Warner Bros. He didn't need his approval on an offical level but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that if Donner had of said he no, he wouldn't have done it out of respect.

As for Smith, he's a funny guy, I love all his films, even Jersey Girl but following the release of Mallrats and its failure he apologised for it, later its VHS sells and rentals made it popular and he said that he was only joking at the time. Nuff Said!

I'm pretty sure he went to Donner before Warner Bros. He didn't need his approval on an official level but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that if Donner had of said he no, he wouldn't have done it out of respect.
Too bad Donner said yes. LOL

As for Smith, he's a funny guy, I love all his films, even Jersey Girl but following the release of Mallrats and its failure he apologized for it, later its VHS sells and rentals made it popular and he said that he was only joking at the time. Nuff Said!
I like Smith. His movies are entertaining, and really, that's what it's all about. I don't get the animosity on boards like this towards Smith and his comments about SR. He's said the same things that a LOT of people have said; he's just more outspoken and humorous about it. But that's his personality. He's a HUGE comic book and superhero fan, and in fact owns a comic book store. And he's a director. C'mon people.

Here's an excerpt from An Evening with Kevin Smith 2.
(I "cleaned" it up substantially - we all know how Kevin talks LOL)

Question: Would you ever consider doing a Batman or Superman type movie, or Fantastic Four?

Kevin Smith: A comic book movie? At one point I was attached - and still am actually - to The Green Hornet. I wrote it but decided not to direct it. For me, I don't have the patience to do a movie like that. I love watching comic book movies - but making one? Bleepin' boring. Action sequences are tedious and slow. They take a day to shoot, and at the end of the day when you cut them together, there's maybe ten seconds of screen time. I also just don't have it in me to be a visual, visceral director. If I could get away with making the least visually interesting comic book movie of all time - that's essentially one of my flicks but the characters wear masks - I'd do it! But nobody would finance that. The thing is, once you take a budget - the budget of Green Hornet will be like 50, 70, 80 million bucks - you have to start listening to what other people have to say. It's no longer your flick. Green Hornet would never be my movie. It would always be this movie that was noted to death because, wisely, the people who invest the money in it ... want to make back their investment. You don't make your money back doing my version of the movie. So essentially, they'd be like an action beat has to happen every ten pages - you have to follow a formula. You'd hear a lot of "do it like Spider-Man."

You've got to give movies like that to people like Bryan Singer. He did X-Men and X-Men 2, and I LOVE those movies. He's doing Superman now. I loved X-Men 2; I thought that was an insanely well made comic book movie, and balanced a lot of storylines.​

I like Smith. His movies are entertaining, and really, that's what it's all about. I don't get the animosity on boards like this towards Smith and his comments about SR. He's said the same things that a LOT of people have said; he's just more outspoken and humorous about it. But that's his personality. He's a HUGE comic book and superhero fan, and in fact owns a comic book store. And he's a director. C'mon people.

Question: Would you ever consider doing a Batman or Superman type movie, or Fantastic Four?​

Kevin Smith: A comic book movie? At one point I was attached - and still am actually - to The Green Hornet. I wrote it but decided not to direct it. For me, I don't have the patience to do a movie like that. I love watching comic book movies - but making one? Bleepin' boring. Action sequences are tedious and slow. They take a day to shoot, and at the end of the day when you cut them together, there's maybe ten seconds of screen time. I also just don't have it in me to be a visual, visceral director. If I could get away with making the least visually interesting comic book movie of all time - that's essentially one of my flicks but the characters wear masks - I'd do it! But nobody would finance that. The thing is, once you take a budget - the budget of Green Hornet will be like 50, 70, 80 million bucks - you have to start listening to what other people have to say. It's no longer your flick. Green Hornet would never be my movie. It would always be this movie that was noted to death because, wisely, the people who invest the money in it ... want to make back their investment. You don't make your money back doing my version of the movie. So essentially, they'd be like an action beat has to happen every ten pages - you have to follow a formula. You'd hear a lot of "do it like Spider-Man."​

You've got to give movies like that to people like Bryan Singer. He did X-Men and X-Men 2, and I LOVE those movies. He's doing Superman now. I loved X-Men 2; I thought that was an insanely well made comic book movie, and balanced a lot of storylines.​

I agree that he is entitled to his opinion but I just hate the way that it can change on a dime. He's bad mouthing Jersey Girl now yet claimed it was his favourite movie whenit came out.

I also hate people on the Net who think Kevin Smith agreeing with them is a personal victory.

I agree that he is entitled to his opinion but I just hate the way that it can change on a dime. He's bad mouthing Jersey Girl now yet claimed it was his favourite movie whenit came out.

I also hate people on the Net who think Kevin Smith agreeing with them is a personal victory.

They can change their minds.

I mean Smith does it all the time.

wow. Kevin Smith said that??.... it's a good thing i care less about Kevin Smith than I do Richard Lester. Get a life, Kevin. Make all the Clerks you want, you'll never be Bryan Singer.

Kevin Smith said nothing that wasn't 100% true... I mean seriously SR was boring, and it had more plot holes then any movie probably ever made!
As far as sayin that Smith will never be like Bryan Singer thats a good thing because while Smith doesn't do big budget movies all his movie turn a profit, and all his movies are cult classics.
And he does something that nobody else can! He makes movies which actually make Ben Afflack look like a good actor! heh
Bryan Singer is a hack so Im very happy that Kevin is not like Bryan.

Question: Would you ever consider doing a Batman or Superman type movie, or Fantastic Four?

Kevin Smith: A comic book movie? At one point I was attached - and still am actually - to The Green Hornet. I wrote it but decided not to direct it. For me, I don't have the patience to do a movie like that. I love watching comic book movies - but making one? Bleepin' boring. Action sequences are tedious and slow. They take a day to shoot, and at the end of the day when you cut them together, there's maybe ten seconds of screen time. I also just don't have it in me to be a visual, visceral director. If I could get away with making the least visually interesting comic book movie of all time - that's essentially one of my flicks but the characters wear masks - I'd do it! But nobody would finance that. The thing is, once you take a budget - the budget of Green Hornet will be like 50, 70, 80 million bucks - you have to start listening to what other people have to say. It's no longer your flick. Green Hornet would never be my movie. It would always be this movie that was noted to death because, wisely, the people who invest the money in it ... want to make back their investment. You don't make your money back doing my version of the movie. So essentially, they'd be like an action beat has to happen every ten pages - you have to follow a formula. You'd hear a lot of "do it like Spider-Man."

People here to are bashing Smith are just Singer fans who are blinded by the farce that was SR, and buy into anything Singer makes.
Smith loved Singers xmen movies, and complimented him on it! So you know it's nothing personal against Singer or Superman when he trashes SR.
He is simply speaking the truth... Smith is a comic book nerd, a Fanboy if you will, and he knows what he's talking about.

Well spoken Bare knuckles! :up: Smith really said something ALOT of people were thinking but yet people bash his weight and his right to an opinion? Dude even complimented Singer on past films! Some people bash anyone just cuase their opinions differ. Well said Mr. Smith. :up:
P.S. I notice that a lot of people on the Supes board constantly compare SR to X3 by sayin how so much better it is. That wouldn't be wise cause X3 made more at the domestic B.O. than SR. So that mean the general public SEEMED to like it more. SR isn't a bad movie, just like X3 or S3 are not bad movies. Just different movies for different people. Accept that fact.

X3 made more money than X2. Was it better or did the people like it more?
Or the money made by a movie depends on a lot of factors, one of them being the awareness and the "Customer loyalty building"?
If you saw X2 or Spider-man 2 on TV or DVD and found them good, you wait for the third chapter and flock to the theaters to see it. Not knowing it's far crappier.

yeah but Superman, by name alone should have made more than the Xmen. Just shows you.........well nevermind. Not here to bash SR. :o

Kevin Smith said nothing that wasn't 100% true... I mean seriously SR was boring, and it had more plot holes then any movie probably ever made!
As far as sayin that Smith will never be like Bryan Singer thats a good thing because while Smith doesn't do big budget movies all his movie turn a profit, and all his movies are cult classics.
And he does something that nobody else can! He makes movies which actually make Ben Afflack look like a good actor! heh

Apparently, you haven't seen SM3 yet...

yeah but Superman, by name alone should have made more than the Xmen. Just shows you.........well nevermind. Not here to bash SR. :o

Oh really? Based on what?

I wonder if a movie about Coca-Cola or Mickey Mouse could gross more than X-Men....I mean, those are some big names in the entertainment world, right?

As I've been saying....the EGO of Superman fans is astounding. '

"Name alone should have brought in a billion at the box office."

:rolleyes:

Your name is associated with Superman, but yet I'M a Superman fan? Okay. Actually I'm not really a fan of Superman, just superheroes and I prefer Marvel MUCH more over anything DC but even I have to admit that Superman is one of the biggest names in comics. He's part of the big 3 in comics with Batman and Spiderman.
So please before you accuse me of being anything, find out. You make yourself look like an ass just becuase you don't agree with my post. :o

I don't agree with your post because the saying 'based on name along it should have made more than x-men' is incredibly ridiculous.

Where's the proof of that? Before Superman Returns, the last Superman movie made like 15 million dollars at the box office...

well then why not say that then? Why roll your eyes and label me a Superman fan? wouldn't it have been better to just ask me or state that you didn't agree? Now we are beefing cuase you didn't post correctly or come at me like a man.

Think you should include the Big Festival of Plothole and Re=cycled CGI, Spiderman 3.

When you bet so little money on so little productions you can technically say you made profit. Too little profit but still.

Cult classic for another fat beer-drinking no girlfriends/social life fans like Smith himself.

The thing this world was needing.

No, Kevin will have to resign himself to his little lonely nerdie beer-drinking following cult. Singer won't have to.

well then why not say that then? Why roll your eyes and label me a Superman fan?

*Gasp* Did you know, he's a Superman fan too? :wow:

wouldn't it have been better to just ask me or state that you didn't agree? Now we are beefing cuase you didn't post correctly or come at me like a man.

Riiiight. Grow up.

Apparently, you haven't seen SM3 yet...

Even with that movies minor flaws it was still light years away better in quality as a film then SR...

I know... I know... The truth hurts... :cwink:

It's going to be ok just breath in...... Breath out.....

Smith script is never going to be used.

Singer sequel is happening.

*breaths out* :yay:

Interesting points Smith makes. I can understand how he thought Lex was lame because he wasn't sadistic and ruthless, but I can't help but feel like his ranting is partly based on him not being involved in the movie itself. I love Kevin Smith but I can't help but wonder if that kind of sparks a bit of anger that the film isn't how HE saw it.

*Gasp* Did you know, he's a Superman fan too? :wow:

Riiiight. Grow up.

Your entire post has me lost! PLEASE tell me why YOU are coming at me? I just want to her your reason cuase you are obviously some fanboy who wants any reason to come at anyone just cause they stated an opinion you don't like. Now go ahead give me a childish answer. :o

You got offended for being called a Superman fan, in a f**king Superman forum and then retorted with "we have a beef because you wont attack me like a man". Tell me, who's being childish?

I got bothered, didn't really get mad, cuase dude rolled his eyes and just started to assume things. And to be honest I even feel bad for getting bothered by it. But you who use all those f bombs just cuase I disputed with someone about a post I made which had nothing to do with you, obviously WANTED to start a flame war or what ever you nerds call it which wasn't even the case. I've said in this forum and other forums SR is boring but I really don't hate it. So I can see both points of view about loving AND hating the movie. Bro you need to get a life if you going to explode on me just cause of me and dude disputing somethings. You are 19 and you are taking this way to personal. :o

Pickle El- I'm sorry if I came off wrong ok. If you read my posts around the hype, I'm kind of hard on fanboys extremist and you kind of labeled me one. I'm sorry bro!

I got bothered, didn't really get mad, cuase dude rolled his eyes and just started to assume things. And to be honest I even feel bad for getting bothered by it. But you who use all those f bombs just cuase I disputed with someone about a post I made which had nothing to do with you, obviously WANTED to start a flame war or what ever you nerds call it which wasn't even the case. I've said in this forum and other forums SR is boring but I really don't hate it. So I can see both points of view about loving AND hating the movie. Bro you need to get a life if you going to explode on me just cause of me and dude disputing somethings. You are 19 and you are taking this way to personal. :o

Well, I'm sorry, but anytime somebody talks tough and spews poop like "we're now beefing because you wont talk like a man" on the freakin' internet! I want to go postal. I don't care whether you like SR or hate, because it's none of my business. By the way, I'm dude, it's you and Pickle that disputed things.

Lastly, you don't know me and the day I explode, it wont be because of a movie or some guy on the internet trying to act like Tony Montana.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"