World Superman Role Curse

Sgt_Frag

Civilian
Reaction score
A friend of mine was talking about the role of Superman and how just about every actor who's played him in a live role has come across bad luck.

First Live Superman was George Reeves, I believe and he committed suicide(In debate to this day, but he did die.)R.I.P
We all know what happened to Chistopher Reeves who died recently may be R.I.P.
And Dean Cain's career just plain died after the end of the New Adventures Of Lois And Clark, he did some shows like Ripley's and some made for TV stuff, but for the main part his career just pretty much fizzled out, though I'm not really sure if it ever was much before that show.

I'm not saying anything will or probably will happen to Brandon or the guy from Smallville, but the role of Superman sure hasn't been all that lucky afterwards for those who get it.

This is actually quite a well known and discussed curse. While in my mind, the jury's still out on whether there's anything to it or not, there are people who swear on it. It has actually been rumored that some actors have stayed away from the role of Superman in the past when they were doing projects that ended up failing (Superman Lives!, Fly By, etc.)

The first live film Superman was Kirk Alyn in Columbia's 2 movie seriels 1948's Superman and 1950's Atom Man vs Superman. According to IMDB Alyn was born Oct. 8th 1910 and lived to a ripe old age of 88. [He died March 14, 1999]

But the first actor to ever play Superman, and in live performances to boot, was the incomparable Bud Collyer. This man alone defined the quintessential Superman/Clark Kent performance.

rsi60-The%20Adventures%20of%20Superman-pic1.jpg

In 1940, Bud Collyer began his long career portraying Superman on The Adventures of Superman radio program. Collyer would remain playing the dual roles of Clark Kent and Superman on the radio program through-out the show's entire 11 year run. The only reason it went off the air in 1951 was, like many popular radio programs, to make way for it's television counter-part. In this case, the TV show starring George Reeves.

But! The radio program was not the only venue Bud Collyer played Superman.

In September of 1941 Paramount began running the first of 17 Superman cartoons produced by Fleischer Studios [later renamed Famous studios when Paramount assumed control]. These cartoons have appeared routinely over the years, so not doubt most will have watched them at some point.

Bud Collyer's still not done though! In 1966-69 Collyer, along with some of the cast from the radio program, reprised their roles in Filmation's Superman cartoons. The show was taken off the air in 1969 due to complaints of "too much violence" from advocacy groups.

Collyer was born June 18, 1908 and died from a circulatory ailment on September 8, 1969 at the age of 61.

Sgt_Frag said:
A friend of mine was talking about the role of Superman and how just about every actor who's played him in a live role has come across bad luck.

First Live Superman was George Reeves, I believe and he committed suicide(In debate to this day, but he did die.)R.I.P
And Dean Cain's career just plain died after the end of the New Adventures Of Lois And Clark, he did some shows like Ripley's and some made for TV stuff, but for the main part his career just pretty much fizzled out, though I'm not really sure if it ever was much before that show.

I'm not saying anything will or probably will happen to Brandon or the guy from Smallville, but the role of Superman sure hasn't been all that lucky afterwards for those who get it.

There has been a similar discussion about people who have played Jesus. Jim Cavizel(sp?) supposedly got sturck by lightning while filming 'The Passion.' William Dafoe, well he was always a little weird to begin with. Other actors have gone insane.

Sgt_Frag said:

the first actor to paly Superman was KIRK ALYN: And is career was finish after He played the man of Steel.

kirkalyn7.jpg

As for Dean Cain he was just type cast that's all, it happens to people who play super heroes that's all. Plus I didn't expect much from him. He was good but, he was an ex football player and no big whoop. Just coincidence I think. Reeve and Reaves got it the worst though. :supes: :(

superhey said:
the first actor to paly Superman was KIRK ALYN

Check my previous post, Bud Collyer was the first actor to portray Superman. Collyer's performance as the man of steel is the model on which every actor since has based his presentation of Superman, whether they realize it or not.

and the two guys who played Superboy in the 80's haven't been in anything lately.

Sgt_Frag said:

There is no such thing as a "Superman curse." Never has been. Never will be. Anybody who says otheriwse is either ignorant or flat-out lying.

There can't be any such curse when a grand total of TWO guys out of the 25 or so who've played the role in various capacities (live-action, voice-over, fan films, personal appearances, stage musicals) have met early deaths. Ray Middleton, Bud Collyer, Kirk Alyn, Danny Dark, Beau Weaver, Tim Daly, George Newbern, and Bob Holiday have all enjoyed decent careers beyond Superman. Cain's kept busy in TV and supporting work in movies, the two Superboys have done TV soap operas, and guys like Mike O'Hearn are doing just fine in their usual field of choice. And playing Superman DIDN'T hurt Reeve's career; he was bombarded with major film offers post-Superman that he stupidly turned down.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Two men out of 25 or more does not make a "Superman curse."

King Krypton said:
There is no such thing as a "Superman curse." Never has been. Never will be. Anybody who says otheriwse is either ignorant or flat-out lying.

There can't be any such curse when a grand total of TWO guys out of the 25 or so who've played the role in various capacities (live-action, voice-over, fan films, personal appearances, stage musicals) have met early deaths. Ray Middleton, Bud Collyer, Kirk Alyn, Danny Dark, Beau Weaver, Tim Daly, George Newbern, and Bob Holiday have all enjoyed decent careers beyond Superman. Cain's kept busy in TV and supporting work in movies, the two Superboys have done TV soap operas, and guys like Mike O'Hearn are doing just fine in their usual field of choice. And playing Superman DIDN'T hurt Reeve's career; he was bombarded with major film offers post-Superman that he stupidly turned down.

Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. Two men out of 25 or more does not make a "Superman curse."

Exactly. Reeve had offers for Raiders of the Lost Ark, An Officer and a Gentleman, and was tapped to play the lead in Total Recall before Arnold bought the rights and raped the source material. Reeve was primed to be the next big action Mega-Hero. He didn't want it though. Cain was just a so-so actor to begin with (mainly why I didn't like Lois and Clark). Now, Bruce Lee. There's a man you can start talking about a curse with.

Isn't Bruce Lee that guy who died from food poisoning?

I like how "The Curse" progression goes:

Reeves: suicide/death
Reeve: paralysis/death
Cain: his career :D :joker: :joker: :D

There's no curse. And I dont buy the suicide story. I believe George Reeves was murdered by someone hired by Eddie Mannix or possibly by Lenore Lemmon herself in 1959. And Christopher Reeve's paralyzing in 1995 and death in 04 was not caused by some old curse. That's ridiculous. And George Reeves and Christopher Reeve are of no relation.
Reeves_pointing.jpg
puno.jpg

there is no curse at all....Kirk Ayln career was not the same after Superman because he really gave it up. Yes he did roles after Superman but he hated acting after the Superman serials was over. He love that character. In my opinion he was perfect for that role. I really didn't like The Adventures of Superman because his S was really stupid and his flying was dumb. I like how they made Superman fly in the serials, Superman gets in a jumping position and when flying he is a cartoon...that was cool. When you see a close up of Superman it was Kirk Ayln. Those serials are considered as the best serial they ever made. In second is Captain Marvel. Chris Reeve Superman made us a man could fly. That was the best since Kirk Ayln's Superman. George Reeve really didn't look like a Superman, but that is my opinion. The show is still good and all but some stuff about them I didn't like. But this is all my opinion. For those who hasn't seen the Superman serials of the 40s. They are not availible in original copies only on the bootleg market. There is two sets of Superman serials -the first set was Superman vs Spider Lady. The second set is Superman vs Atom Man which Lex Luthor is Atom Man. They were the best. Buy them you like them. I know you will like the Atom Man ones because there were better than the Spider Lady ones. So for those who wants them you can find them one Ebay from time to time. I got mine when they was shown on AMC about 5 to 8 years ago. They were uncut. Commercials was only at the beginning of each chapter.

Dr.Dark said:
Isn't Bruce Lee that guy who died from food poisoning?

No, Bruce Lee died after an allergic reaction to some medication. The medication wasn't his. Apparently it caused some swelling in his brain and led to his death.

Sauron said:
As for Dean Cain he was just type cast that's all, it happens to people who play super heroes that's all. Plus I didn't expect much from him. He was good but, he was an ex football player and no big whoop. Just coincidence I think. Reeve and Reaves got it the worst though. :supes: :(

Don't forget that Dean Cain is a successful producer as well. He has kept working in TV roles too. Remember his spot-on portrayal of Scott Peterson?

Thot said:
No, Bruce Lee died after an allergic reaction to some medication. The medication wasn't his. Apparently it caused some swelling in his brain and led to his death.

you're 100% right......Dr. Dark needs to read or watch biographies about Bruce Lee

elvislennon2005 said:
I really didn't like The Adventures of Superman because his S was really stupid and his flying was dumb. I like how they made Superman fly in the serials, Superman gets in a jumping position and when flying he is a cartoon...that was cool. When you see a close up of Superman it was Kirk Ayln. Those serials are considered as the best serial they ever made. In second is Captain Marvel. Chris Reeve Superman made us a man could fly. That was best since Kirk Ayln's Superman. George Reeve really didn't look like a Superman, but that is my opinion. The show is still good and all but some stuff about them I didn't like. But this is all my opinion. For those who hasn't seen the Superman serials of the 40s. They are not availible in original copies only on the bootleg market. There is two sets of Superman serials -the first set was Superman vs Spider Lady. The second set is Superman vs Atom Man which Lex Luthor is Atom Man. They were the best. Buy them you like them. I know you will like the Atom Man ones because there were better than the Spider Lady ones. So for those who wants them you can find them one Ebay from time to time. I got mine when they was shown on AMC about 5 to 8 years ago. They were uncut. Commercials was only at the beginning of each chapter.

I love the Adventures of Superman, the first 26 episodes are great.
And there all on this 5 disc DVD set.
adv_supes_dvd.jpg

I love the suit.
supersuit3ak.png

The S is iconic and it was the first time Superman really flew. George Reeves flying was very well done. Kirk Ayln didnt even fly, it was just a cheap cartoon. The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941) is considered to be the best serial ever. In second is the Masked Marvel (1943). Christopher Reeve would slowly levitate up into the air when he wanted to fly, like Peter Pan. George Reeves's flying was powerful. George Reeves would run and make a mighty leap up into the air. In the air his hair and cape would would blow in the wind. He definitely didn't float in the air. He really moved when he flew! George Reeves did look like Superman in the Golden Age comics. The first season of the Adventures of Superman in 1952-1953 produced by Robert Maxwell has a dark, adult Film Noir atmosphere with lots of murder. The two Kirk Alyn Superman serials, Superman vs Spider Lady (1948) and Superman vs the Atom Man (1950), both directed by Spencer Bennet, are very silly and dull. There are long stretches where Superman doesn't even use his powers at all. The lame Spider Lady in a halloween costume is a big disappointment. For a supposed criminal mastermind, she never seems intimidating enough to even be in a gang, much less lead one. Ridiculous. Noel Niel's Lois Lane is a weak girl who couldn't rip her way out of a paper bag! Kirk Alyn was AWFUL. A little guy with a goofy smile and a pot belly. As Clark Kent, Alyn wore silver wire rim glasses thus making his disguise even more doubtful. As Lex Luthor wearing a silly helmet-bucket on his head calling himself the Atom Man is Lyle Talbot from Plan 9 From Outer Space.
spoofcaptureD85.jpg
10104384.jpg

Kirk Alyn's costume (1948/1950). He had a very small cape.
0044_2_lg.jpg

0044_3_lg.jpg

July 4th, 2006:ghost:

Hi:

I am very upset reading the boards to see that Lenore Lemmon is even thought by people to have been involved in the possible murder of George Reeves.

The reason?

First of all Lenore is deceased and cannot defend herself.

Second my fiance's mother being at one time close friends with Lenore knows this is not true - as she knew Lenore very well...in fact when she was a lot younger she and my fiance' would go to visit Lenore in her home and have long chats about anything and everything - and the one thing that was clear is that Lenore sincerely loved the man and he sincerely loved her...

lenore was totally devastated when George was found murdered just short from when the 2 were to be wed.

I don't know if it was suicide or murder - but with so close to his wedding day I doubt very much it was suicide...

Actually I think Dean Cain did ok. Not a superstar but steady work. Several theatrical movies and some good reviews.

And he was personally invited to take part in the Superman returns PR..

True George and Chris died before their time.Tragicly too.but I think the curse is a lot of hooey. :)

EL

Ichi said:
I like how "The Curse" progression goes:

Reeves: suicide/death
Reeve: paralysis/death
Cain: his career :D :joker: :joker: :D

I was gonna make a joke about Cain's career.
:up:

Then again he got it on with Teri Hatcher and Slept with Brooke Shields, so it wasn't all bad! :D

Where did you get a pic of Kirk Allyn's suit. Never saw that before.Cool

I dont believe in the curse either.

ELlen

As Brandon Routh said, he'd rather have said yes to the part and have something bad happen, than turn the part down and still have something bad happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"