World Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

In the comics, Clark was the disguise until John Byrne reversed it in The Man of Steel.

Ironically you have a quote on your sig by Christopher Reeve, who played Superman as the real person and Clark as the bumbling fool disguise.

I know.

But Kal-el was always raised as Clark not as Superman. So Clark is and always been the real person. Superman is just a name he uses to help people. Metropolis Clark is a desguise too the same Superman is. Its part of his personality. There are things he keeps a secret with both identies.

So what? I like the quote and i like the man.

I said i just prefer Byrne`s take...

I know.

But Kal-el was always raised as Clark not as Superman. So Clark is and always been the real person. Superman is just a name he uses to help people. Metropolis Clark is a desguise too the same Superman is. Its part of his personality. There are things he keeps a secret with both identies.

So what? I like the quote and i like the man.

I said i just prefer Byrne`s take...

Well, now it gets complicated....it just depends whose take you read. The basic, elemental idea of Superman is a meek, mild man turning into mighty hero when the need arises. And if you water that down, it becomes less effective.

To me the basic idea of Superman is to celebrate humanity. How u can be better people if we do whats right.

To me the basic idea of Superman is to celebrate humanity. How u can be better people if we do whats right.

If it was to celebrate humanity, it would be called, 'Man' and not 'Superman' about a superior, alien being.

Thats why its Superman. If we use our "gifts" for good, we become more than human. Heroes...

To me Superman is the alien who was raised as a normal human being. Theres nothing superior about him.

I've been watching one episode of L&C a night before bed for a while now (it's perfect for that, which I suppose is as much a criticism as a complement). I purchased seasons 2, 3 and 4 consecutively so I'm watching them in order....anyway, Cain's Superman has grown on me. And by the time I got to the third season episode, 'Super Mann', he finally convinced me he was Superman, and I started looking at the character a different way.

A lot of it is to do with the writing and special effects. If Superman is written badly, or the effects are unconvincing, they are going to make Cain look bad whatever he does. But a lareg part of it is because Cain is up against pathetic bad guys in the first two seasons (except for Lex), most of which are simply comedy double acts. A man is judged by his enemies.

When we get to season three however, not only are the stories bigger in scope, not only have the effects improved substantially, but the bad guys are finally bad. Evil, menacing. A threat. These are villains that only Superman can stop, whereas before the police or even Lois and Jimmy could conceivably stop the bad guys of previous seasons.

By the time we get to the episode 'Super Mann', we get the pure comicbook conceit of suspended animation Nazis trying to unleash the Fourth Reich. Much, much better villains than typical L&C ones. You can't go wrong with Nazis as the bad guys, they don't even require a build up. We all know how great a threat Nazis are. And only Superman can stop them - but they trick him by luring him to an unexploded WWII bomb that explodes in his face. He survives, but is covered in radioactive particles and has to stay in a glass cell for 300,000 years. Obviously helpless to stop the Nazis conquering Metropolis and the world.

Now that's more like it-!

Even better, Lois thinks of a last minute way to get Supes free....he can fly into the suns gravitational pull and it will suck the radioactive material out of him...but it will take hours to get to the sun and back, and he doesn't even know if he can escape the sun's gravity once he is there.

While he's up there, the Nazis threaten the world leaders, and when they fail to comply, the Nazis are about to explode bombs all over thw world...

...obviously you know what happens next, but the fact that the story is built up so well, the threat is huge and the effects are suficient, Superman becomes a much more dynamic, heroic, powerful and exciting character in this episode. By the end of it, I looked at Cain completely differently, for the first time I thought, "Whoa, he really is Superman."

So I've retracted my views on Cain being a lame Superman.

And also as you can see in the image below, as the series progresses, he looks a bit older, and no loner the Superboy of the early episodes.

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1177586/article_images/loissupermanandjimmy.jpg

Super Mann was one of my favourite episodes and great Superman story in general.

I even had this avatar made when I got to re-watch the episode on dvd after some years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Mann was one of my favourite episodes and great Superman story in general.

I even had this avatar made when I got to re-watch the episode on dvd after some years.

It is one of the best of the whole series. Superman against the Fourth Reich of re-awakened, suspended animation Nazis is the sort of story that would fit perfectly in any era of the comics (excespt those during WWII obviously), cartoons - it would even be a worthy plot for a movie, and there are few episodes of L&C that you can say taht about.

It is one of the best of the whole series. Superman against the Fourth Reich of re-awakened, suspended animation Nazis is the sort of story that would fit perfectly in any era of the comics (excespt those during WWII obviously), cartoons - it would even be a worthy plot for a movie, and there are few episodes of L&C that you can say taht about.

Well...what about the pilot, Neverending battle, Green Glow of home, Big Girls don`t Fly, The asteroid one, the last 2 of the first season, the one with the terrorists that invade the Daily Planet, the Phoenix, Tempus fugitive, etc....

Then why is he called Superman?

Its Superman because he "simbolizes" the best humankind has to offer. He doesn`t call himself that. If somebody, any human, uses their gift for the good of mankind, he has the soul of Superman.

Plus, He always says "People call me Superman". He doesnt think of himself above people. Lex Luthor does.

Superman is different than "Superior man"....

Its Superman because he "simbolizes" the best humankind has to offer. He doesn`t call himself that. If somebody, any human, uses their gift for the good of mankind, he has the soul of Superman.

Plus, He always says "People call me Superman". He doesnt think of himself above people. Lex Luthor does.

You forgot to mention he also looks good in tights. ;) :D

Seriously I like your post. :)

Angeloz

Completely agreed.

That's just what happens in whichever of the thousands of Superman comics you are referring to. It was Seigel and Schuster who created Superman, and gave him the name.

They called him Superman because he is physically superior to a man. He is stronger, faster, he can fly, is invulnerable, etc. Their influences were Hercules, Achilles, Popeye, etc.

Thats why i think the Superman of today is much better than how it was originally envisioned.

Before it was just a matter of being strong and completely good.

Byrne and other good writers added this phsycollogical aspects that didnt exist before. Lots of episodes of Lois & Clark portray this and thats why I think its a great show.

I see Superman as a metephor for how good mankind can be if they want to. These gifts, strenght, flight, etc arent what is important about the character, in my opinion. Many heroes have it.

But the sense of morality, being an example, use the gifts for good is whats all about to me. And the sense of hope too. The greatest thing of Superman is that he represents hope. Even in his greatest tragedy, there was always a sense of optimism. Krypton exploded but his parents sacrificed themselves to save him.

Martha and Jonathan Kent couldnt have a biological son so this miracle came from the sky and gave them this sense of hope. Plus being raised in a small city where he knows everybody and the fact he could see people`s struggle to support their family, do good. This created a sense of connection with human race no hero has.

To me the Kents molded him and made the hero he is. Its not about the powers but about what do u do if u have these gifts.

This page explains exactely what its all about for me...

http://www.redboots.net/tnaos/lc60_relationship.htm

The idea of Superman was that the unassuming everyman (like you and me) was in fact a Superman. This is the idea. Clark Kent with powers is just "Marvel style" like Spider-Man. That may not sound logical, but Superman is basically a fairy tale character. Realism hurts him alot.

The pilot was just...great. He could of been a standalone television movie feature or miniseries.

The problem is, Cain looks a lot more Superman-esque without his hair gelled back. He was superb as Clark, but I've never been able to believe him as Superman because a) he didn't have the presence or charisma required and b) the special effects were usually weak.

He had the curl hair most of the time when he was Clark, not Superman. He had a lot of charisma as Clark, but nearly none as Superman. Go figure. The special effects were fine to me, actually. The flying, the x-ray vision, the laser, the speed, the bullets, etc. But in general, I could care less about smancy fancy special effects. I rather watch something that has great stories and characters with okay CGI than awe inspiring effects with little to no plot or interesting layout. For example, Peter Jackson's take on King Kong had AMAZING effects, but it was pretty boring. Very rarely will you find something that has both great setting, acting and plot along with exceptional effects.

Dean Cain's Superman was very lackluster. But to no fault of his own, being that the show is called Lois and Clark; most of the time he's playing Clark Kent, which gave him little left to really nail the Superman aspect. Despite not being the usually bumbling Clark, he still managed to make him seem shy and almost timid at times. He was charismatic...but still very much a "nobody from smallville" and a "farmboy". Dean Cain was so fit, but not overtly huge. (Brandon Routh looked like a giant as Clark!) When he's at the Daily Planet, you somewhat notice his manly, "GQ physique" but only very very slightly; it doesn't override or intimidate you, you don't see it. The glasses also help, they make him look somewhat 'modest' (in lack of a better word). Even in his extreme handsome good looks, he seemed abashful and embarrassed that the women (i.e. Cat Grant, etc) would throw themselves at him.

However, in the Superman suit, Cain looked smaller. It was the costume. I don't know what it was, I just didn't like it. He was never intimidating as Superman, only being that the powers he's capable of. There's only one instance where I thought he did really GOOD, and I just can't remember the episode. But it maybe have been season four's Dead Lois Walking, when he insisted on getting Lois out of jail (falsely accused). And I have an extreme disliking of one liners, but when the other woman in the jail cell saw him appear stunned, she said 'Its the Caped Crusader' and he just curtly says 'That's Batman'.

Teri Hatcher is the best Lois Lane, by far. She was a go getter, funny, unintentionally cute and wasn't afraid of anything. Opposed to other superhero love interests, she takes care of herself. Of course occasionally she'll call for Superman's help, but really...when you're falling down how many feet from an airplane, that's understandable. She was believable as a great reporter, a risk taker and dangerous situations didn't seem to bother her to get her story. Also, she was very good looking. Especially in the first season, with the bob chin length hair cut.

John Shea was an excellent and worthy Lex Luther (unfortunately the only good villain on the show) Lane Smith was easily the best Perry White (RIP). None of the Perry Whites before or after characterized him like he did. He had a particular voice and manner about him that was extremely distinguishable. Most of the villains sucked, very few were interesting, I would of much liked to see someone that was formidable for Superman, but still I could tolerate that, seeing that Lex Luther pretty much makes up for all that (until he left, of course).

Last edited:
FWIW, seasons 1-4 of L&C are on sale right now at Best Buy for $16.99/season - or were this evening, anyway. Not sure if they're changing things in the AM. For those of you whose Best Buys are still open, here's your chance. No, I don't work for them or anything - we were there looking for one of those digital converters for the TV.

Sale is on their website too.

FWIW, seasons 1-4 of L&C are on sale right now at Best Buy for $16.99/season - or were this evening, anyway. Not sure if they're changing things in the AM. For those of you whose Best Buys are still open, here's your chance. No, I don't work for them or anything - we were there looking for one of those digital converters for the TV.

Sale is on their website too.

Thanks for the memo! :yay::yay::yay:

Just watched 'Green Glow of Home' from season one again, the original cast with Michael Landes (original Jimmy) and Tracy Scoggins (Cat) was fun and just added to a more authentic atmosphere at the Daily Planet. Nothing against Whalin.

During the end during the fight scene with Clark and Trask in the river, when Clark has his arm in position to punch him, Trask tells him to 'do it' because he knew he was able to kill him easily. Clark replies steadily 'that's not how I work'. That was probably the only time Cain had any sort of formidability or presence as SUPERMAN (although he wasn't in the suit at the time, go figure).

#1-8: "The Green, Green Glow of Home"
Original Air Date: November 14, 1993
Written by Bryce Zabel - Directed by Les Landau

Something's up involving a strange rock found in Smallville, and this one had nothing to do with a meteor shower. Perry sends Lois and Clark to Clark's old home town to find out what is going on. In this episode, Lois finally begins to accept Clark for who he is, and she also gets to meet Clark's parents at the same time. Clark also learns in this episode that the rock gives him some kind of allergic reaction.

Trivia! This episode introduces Kryptonite to the Lois & Clark TV mythos. Sharon Thomas, Dean Cain's mother, makes her first of three L&C cameo appearances. Legend has it that this episode was originally supposed to involve the wedding of Clark's childhood sweetheart Lana Lang; this idea was scuttled when it was revealed the producers did not have rights to use the character. The pre-episode teaser about recycling is the only time we see the Superman costume worn by Clark in the episode.

Although a minor detail, it would of been nice to see Lana there.

What about when he says "I'm a man of few words" to Lord nor in the episode Battleground Earth?

Or when he says in the same episode "Look at that map. What do you see? I see schools, houses, places where people thought they'd be safe, etc"

Or that speech he gives to human kind when he is leaving our planet?

He is much more Superman in the show than Brandon Routh ever was in Superman Returns to me.

He lacked charisma? WTF?

Have you seen the episode where Lois lane doesn't have her memory and he takes her to a flight over metropolis and she says: "You're the strongest man in the world but there is so much gentleness in your eyes."

That smile is Superman for me, pure and simple.

Last edited:
As with most things it had it's ups and downs...but mostly positives IMO.

The Good:
The best Perry White ever.

The best/hottest Lois Lane ever.

The best Clark Kent (not Superman though, but Cain was a fantastic Clark, more personable, less geeky...)

Maybe not THE best, but a wonderful Lex Luthor...portrayed as he should have been (Shea had more to work with before the opening credits of "Seconds" that Spacey had in all of SR.)

And it gave us the only version of Superman outside of the comics, that featured an actual relationship between Lois and Clark.

The bad:
Cain's appearance as Superman. It was missing some crucial aspects...there was no curl in the hair, the back "S" really needed to be outlined, and the belt should have been a shiney oval instead of a dull rectangle.

There were quite a few cheesy moments (The worst is the guy getting knocked unconscious after a VERY slight trip over a short dude) and some melodramatic villians.

Some of the end storylines were not very strong at all.

But the very worst part is that the show ended on a cliffhanger, and then was cancelled. (added to the fact that that last episode wasn't very good...shame)

But overall, I love the show. :up:

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE ON THE CAPE SHEILD.

I've never wanted the yellow emblem outlined and I don't want it now. I hold that Dean Cain cape up as a model of what should be done in the next feature film. It's defined by textures and not outlines. Putting lines in it make is more cartoony. I've always hated what they did with Chris Reeve's cape.

Mind you, the actual style of the emblem needed improvement ... but not the way the 'S' was defined in the sheild. That was perfect.

I got the first season for Christmas. yay!

The first thing I wanted to do was make a gif of this. Unfortunately, my trial for the animation program I had is up, so I was reduced to having to use media-convert.com. Its not in real time, nor is the quality preserved. I may try and find another animation program again.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2130jec.jpg

edit. Eh, used another website, much better...but cuts off right before the shirt rip.

2utp43r.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"