Superman Returns Singer was certainly being literal when he said we'd get...

M.O.Steel said:
i think 1 and 2 are the same.

Not really. Kal-El would be the Clark that wants to learn more about his Kryptonian heritage and misses Jor-El, while Clark in the barn is the grounded, human Clark who was raised as a farmboy. I don't see how they're the same.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Really the way it looks now...

You have 4 characters being completely fleshed out.

1.Kal-el
2.Clark on the farm
3.Clark in Metropolis
4.---SUPERMAN---

YES!!!! AGAIN...!!!!

I think 1 and 4 are the same. So does Singer.

I agree, Kal-El and Superman are the same persona.

Showtime029 said:
I agree, Kal-El and Superman are the same persona.

I agree to make it 3. In a row. I think kal-el is Superman, same persona.

Oldguy said:
There is no "Kal-el".

Very true..that is the name his birth parents gave him..

there is only clark Kent and superman.

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
Very true..that is the name his birth parents gave him..

there is only clark Kent and superman.

Exactly, he'd have to live some part of his life as a normal krytonian boy to truly "be" Kal-el.

Oldguy said:
Exactly, he'd have to live some part of his life as a normal krytonian boy to truly "be" Kal-el.

:up:

wow i agreed with you.. mark this day down Oldie.

:)

I guess you two are right.

Damn. :(

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
:up:

wow i agreed with you.. mark this day down Oldie.

:)

Oh it's not that rare, is it? lol

I can't wait till the next super-hero movie comes out, when everyone will agree about how fantastic it's being put together.;)

I never clicked the link in your Sig Oldguy. That is a great sketch.

Showtime029 said:
I never clicked the link in your Sig Oldguy. That is a great sketch.

Thank you, as Fatboy is fond of mentioning on a regular basis, I'm a layout artist who works in the animation biz.

What kind of crap is this about him not being 'Kal-el'?? It's his name given to him by his parents. Just because he isn't on Krypton anymore doesn't mean he doesn't get the right to use his name.

Like Singer said, there are three real personas; Kal-El, Clark Kent on the farm, and Clark Kent in Metropolis.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
What kind of crap is this about him not being 'Kal-el'?? It's his name given to him by his parents. Just because he isn't on Krypton anymore doesn't mean he doesn't get the right to use his name.

Like Singer said, there are three real personas; Kal-El, Clark Kent on the farm, and Clark Kent in Metropolis.

What kind of crap is this about Singer being the definitive scribe of Superman? Superman is a farmboy from Kansas. That's it. Hulk's the one with MPD.

He's never lived any significant part of his life where society has defined him as Kal-el. There's the rub you see, society defines our identities for us. Heritage isn't identity.

But hey, Showtimes and Robocop got it, so I know Im not insane.

Oldguy said:
What kind of crap is this about Singer being the definitive scribe of Superman? Superman is a farmboy from Kansas. That's it. Hulk's the one with MPD.

And what's this crap that you're the definitive anything on any subject? While I didn't say that Singer was (more of your word-putting), I am certainly inclined to believe his well-put explanation on the subject.

Superman is an alien from Krypton, but that isn't it. He has different personalities and has to act according to the situation. But he certainly is in control at all times.

He's never lived any significant part of his life where society has defined him as Kal-el. There's the rub you see, society defines our identities for us. Heritage isn't identity.

Piddle-paddle hogwash, to put it nicely. Maybe up there where the pills are cheap (and abundant in your case), you're content allowing society to define you, but don't presume others do as well. I certainly do not allow others or this notion of society tell me my identity and I imagine I'm not alone in this thought. I know we're talking about comic books, but it easily carries over to real life.

If society defines a Muslim as a terrorist, is that right, despite a peaceful heritage? No, it isn't. In this case, certainly their heritage has more to do with their identity. It's a strong example, but it is valid.

Even Jor-el makes the statement that Superman "is not one of them" and to take pride in his "special heritage".

But hey, Showtimes and Robocop got it, so I know Im not insane.

Ummmmmkay... :)

Oldguy said:
Thank you, as Fatboy is fond of mentioning on a regular basis, I'm a layout artist who works in the animation biz.

I never picked up on that. Very nice. :up:

If you think about it Kal-El and Superman are one in the same.

That's if you believe that Clark is the disguise, which I do.

Oldguy said:
That's only true to a point. Sure, socialization is a big part of forming our identities but so is our own investigation into our ancestry. I think it's entirely possible for children of immigrants to grow up in one culture and then in the process of maturing, expose themselves to the history and culture of their parent's in any way, shape, or form. Heritage IS a large part of our identity as long as you understand the culture of that heritage. It becomes part of your cultural identity.

Just as different people will encounter Eastern philosophy and decide to educate themselves on Taoism and accept Taoist idealogies. They do not necessarily have to be exposed to a Taoist society but they can learn about it and accept the culture of it.

As far as it applies to Superman, it can be assumed that the systems in the Fortress has educated Clark on Kryptonian culture and history. Depending on Clark's acceptance of those ideologies, he could adopt Kryptonian culture into his identity.

Showtime029 said:
If you think about it Kal-El and Superman are one in the same.

That's if you believe that Clark is the disguise, which I do.

Yes, I do :up: and I think there are two facets to Clark as I mentioned.

I agree there are two facet's of Clark as well, and Singer is going to expose that difference.

skruloos said:
That's only true to a point. Sure, socialization is a big part of forming our identities but so is our own investigation into our ancestry. I think it's entirely possible for children of immigrants to grow up in one culture and then in the process of maturing, expose themselves to the history and culture of their parent's in any way, shape, or form. Heritage IS a large part of our identity as long as you understand the culture of that heritage. It becomes part of your cultural identity.

Just as different people will encounter Eastern philosophy and decide to educate themselves on Taoism and accept Taoist idealogies. They do not necessarily have to be exposed to a Taoist society but they can learn about it and accept the culture of it.

As far as it applies to Superman, it can be assumed that the systems in the Fortress has educated Clark on Kryptonian culture and history. Depending on Clark's acceptance of those ideologies, he could adopt Kryptonian culture into his identity.

Once again, you confuse the issue. It's not about adopting a philosophy for spiritual guidence, it's personal identity. Clark Kent grew up in Kansas for some 12 years never thinking he was anything other than Clark Kent. He referred to himself as CK, and his environment reinforced this.

In order for Kal-el to truly exist he would have to have lived in an environment that reinforced that identity to a degree that he would refer to himself as Kal-el.

Kal-el is nothing more than a footnote to a life that can never be. Maybe if you want to sell flowers in the airport, fine. But Superman isn't so flaky that he'd manufacture a distinct personality so he could get in touch with his dead alien side.

Interest in one's original cultural roots is not the basis for creating a new persona, that's demented. I mean literally, that would be dementia at work.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
...Superman is an alien from Krypton, but that isn't it. He has different personalities and has to act according to the situation. But he certainly is in control at all times.

But for how long? Who will save us from MoodRingman!!

Oldguy said:
But for how long? Who will save us from MoodRingman!!

MoodRingman is the good guy. It's the evil Dr.Society we need to fear. His ability to steal your identity and replace it with whatever he chooses will spell certain doom for us all! No one nor their heritage or pride is save from his judgmental clutches!

Oldguy said:

According to Donner continuity, the 12yr tutelage would certainly qualify as living some part of his life as Kal-El.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
Just wanted to add this pic

bookmarks_wgh_lrg.jpg

Singer is so cool, he actually changed the hairstyle just slightly for each one. Also you can see with the new Kal-el pics that have surfaced, even that hair looks different from the rest. I think he's doing these little touches that are going to show every aspect of what is Superman. :up:

YES!!!!!!!

365045.1020.A.jpg
Good points JC. He really does looks like 3 different people:up:

Mentok said:
I can see Clark changing into Superman in a phonebooth...

'Crap, I need a mirror.... And which hair style do I use for Superman again?... CRAP!'

:D
lol:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"