Superman's Primal shout/grunts awesome or awful, what do you think ?

Batmannerism

Super-unknown
Reaction score
hey Super-fans !

Part of Henry Cavill's performance as Superman, that really stands out
is his use of a primal shout/grunt whatever you want to call it,
whenever Superman exerts himself.

- lifting the oil rig tower
- smashing Faora out of the bank
- blasting Faora and Nam Ek with heat vision
- flying up the gravity beam
- flying away from the singularity
- breaking Zod's neck

and probably a few other instances I missed.

Personally, I liked it, because it showed that Superman really had to
put some effort in, that it wasn't easy saving the day - that the character
was about struggle, right from his birth on a dying world at war with itself,
to growing up isolated from humans, to struggling to

Anyway, I thought that as an acting/directing choice it really worked,
but it seems that not everyone else is in agreement with me, about
how overwhelmingly awesome MOS was.....so there might be those that
think this particular aspect of MOS' Superman didn't work.

Hey, fair enough, everyone's entitled to an opinion and personal taste.

Whether you liked it, hated it, were indifferent, what does everyone else think ?

:super:

I loved his vocal outbursts when he was exerting himself. For relatively easy stuff (lifting a car, or say pushing that bus as a kid) he should show no more stress than you or I picking up a two by four. But that oil rig was huge, and girding himself to attack Foara meant turning it up to !2 and ripping the knob off. Same with escaping the event horizon of the mini black hole with Lois in tow. It's a great way to get the audience invested in the theoretical possibility that he could be overcome, thus relieving that weight of "he's boring/dramatically inert" from around the characters neck.

Its awesome, seeing Superman lift things without any effort doesn't really work in a modern film. Of course there are moments where things will take little to no effort but its good to see it in film.

The oil rig specifically was before he'd truly tested his powers so it was good to see the strain it took.

I loved them all. Superman's a lighter character than Batman, but he does get angry. I liked seeing him use everything he had.

Awesome.

It was a tad repetitive at the end however.

Awesome.

It was a tad repetitive at the end however.

Yeah, didn't bother me that much, but if I could drop one of the
grunts, it would be the one where he's flying away from the
black hole, with Lois. That one was probably unnecessary.

Otherwise I thought they were justified, the one where he lifts the oil rig is a little different from the shout before he slams into Faora, the former being about exertion and the latter an expression of anger.

The heat vision one is a reflection of the fact that using heat vision hurts (Zod pretty much does the same thing).

Still, I'm really glad they did it, I loved Reeve as Superman, but everything
looked a bit easy for him.

But like I said its consistent, it makes sense for him to grunt when he's struggling there as he did with other stuff.

(Yes, I've put too much thought into this).

I always wanted them to do some big Superman screams, but I have to say... He did it a lot. Too much.

Part of the reason I loved Chris Reeve's huge scream when Lois dies is that it was so unexpected, that we'd never heard anything like that coming from him before. We knew it meant something. Same with Christian Bale's roar of rage/desperation when he was getting his ass kicked by Bane. Like a wounded animal in a corner. It meant something, and he'd never done it before.

I would have substituted some of Henry's screams for grunts, and removed others. I'd have changed the oil rig too a more restrained, struggling noise (like if you're doing heavy squats at the gym, it comes out not as a full scream, but a weird strain from the back of the throat, as if your voice can't get out because your whole body, including you neck is so tensed up. Hard to explain). Not that loud, but you know he's really pushing himself. I'd have removed all of the others until we get to his charge at Zod. That's the first full scream. Loved that. Then maybe a quieter strain/yell when the heat vision surprises him, during his fight with the sub-commanders. Like a sustained grunt.

Remove the rest until we get to his destruction of the World Engine. Take out the yell when he's destroying the scout ship. Keep one from when he kills Zod. But make it more of... a wail? (Not girly, though).

Even then, that's four...

Last edited:
Didn't really notice the first few times I saw it,but I think they did over do it a bit.

I loved it when he did it for the gravity beam. Flying away from the singularity I think they could have done without.

I think they overdid it. I would have liked him to be more articulate; sure, he's a farm boy, but that doesn't mean he has to be stupid or primal.

Like during that fight with Faora, where she's giving her "Evolution always wins" speech. I would have like to see Clark give some sort of witty refutation like "you're wrong, my morals make me stronger than you" etc., rather than just growling at her.

I enjoyed his screams. One of my absolute favorite things about this movie was Cavill's performance.

I enjoyed them also. It was nice to get a more 'vocal' Superman than earlier versions who didn't seem to strain so much.

Didn't bother me at all....now that I think about it, those screams probably added to the intensity of said scenes.

If a superhero can do it all with no effort, it's boring. It was nice to see Superman still be super but also have limits to overcome & push himself beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"