Talk about using the "Fear Card".

Superman

The Man Of Steel (Is #1)
Reaction score
This is why I can't stand Neo-Cons. :whatever: Notice I said "Neo-Cons" not republicans. I don't think real republicans would be this dumb.

art.fla.billboard.wftv.jpg

9/11 billboard draws flak from Florida Democrats, GOP

(CNN) -- A Florida man is using billboards with an image of the burning World Trade Center to encourage votes for a Republican presidential candidate, drawing criticism for politicizing the 9/11 attacks.

Please Don't Vote for a Democrat" reads the type over the picture of the twin towers after hijacked airliners hit them on September, 11, 2001.

Mike Meehan, a St. Cloud, Florida, businessman who paid to post the billboards in the Orlando area, said former President Clinton should have put a stop to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda before 9/11. He said a Republican president would have done so.

"I believe 9/11 could have been prevented if we'd had a Republican president at the time," Meehan said Wednesday on CNN's "American Morning."

But Democrats and Republicans are saying Meehan shouldn't be using a 9/11 image to make a political point.

"This is a blatant exploitation of that terrible tragedy for political and, perhaps even worse, personal gain," Bill Robinson, the Orange County, Florida, Democratic Party chairman told CNN affiliate WFTV-TV in Orlando.

The local Republican Party called the billboard "inappropriate," according to WFTV.

"There are many ways to convey the importance of national security in this election without going to extremes, and we encourage a constructive dialogue," the Florida Republican Party said in a statement Tuesday.

According to Meehan, President Bush has done "an excellent job ... going after these terrorists."

You got to remember all the ... people that George Bush did catch and how much success he did have. And we haven't had an attack on this soil since 9/11," Meehan said.

"Unlike Bill Clinton, who actually had bin Laden right in his hand and through the CIA and other high officials decide to get him go," Meehan said.

In a 2006 interview with "Fox News Sunday," Clinton said he authorized the killing of bin Laden in 2000 after the attack on the Navy warship USS Cole in Yemen, but the order was never carried out because U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies refused to certify that bin Laden was behind the Cole attack.

"I got closer to killing him than anybody has gotten since," Clinton said in the 2006 interview.

Meehan also is using the billboard to promote his Web site, the republicansong.com, where he's trying to sell copies of his song, "Please Don't Vote for a Democrat."

The song goes beyond the national security issue, ripping Democrats on taxation and energy issues, too.

"They want to take the money from the hard workin' man, and give it to the lazy folks that don't give a damn," Meehan sings.

Another verse takes on the oil issue.

"We're not fightin' for oil, we got plenty if we drill it," he sings.

The song's not a moneymaker, he said, just an effort to recoup some of what he's invested in the billboards.

A copy of the song on CD cost $5 on the Web site, and the site points out that Meehan can be hired to perform at a "concert, party, meeting or event."

"I'm willing to pay the cost for the fact that our soldiers that have died protecting this country have paid a heck of a lot more than what these billboards cost," Meehan told "American Morning."

Florida resident Mary Anderson told WFTV she doesn't see politics when she's looking at the billboard.

"Just looking at it, I'm not thinking about Democrat or Republican, I'm thinking about the twin towers and all the people killed," she told WFTV

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/16/911.billboard/index.html

Republicans have a gift for getting people to vote against their own best political-interests due to fear.

Republicans have a gift for getting people to vote against their own best political-interests due to fear.

It's not the Republicans Tag. It's the Neo-Cons and the religious right that bring about this nonsense.

Marx you have made a very good point.

Unfortunately, both parties have been hijacked by the extremes. The Republican Party more so than the Democrats, IMO. I just believe that if the extremist stranglehold could be broken...we wouldn't have the problems that we do.

I'm a staunch Republican, but this man and his billboard sickens me. :down

I see this billboard as merely a reminder that the First Amendment is alive and well, no matter how much people may try to silence the speech of private citizens. While I disagree with the billboard, it would upset me more if this man were made to take it down.

I believe 9/11 could have been prevented if we'd had a Republican president at the time," Meehan said Wednesday on CNN's "American Morning."

Am I missing somthing? But wasn't Bush President then?

I believe 9/11 could have been prevented if we'd had a Republican president at the time," Meehan said Wednesday on CNN's "American Morning."

Bush is a goddamn pinko!:cmad:

Yeah, he should've phrased that differently knowing it would be reprinted all over. I think he meant instead of Clinton, a Republican.

The billboard really should say "Go back in time and vote Republican prior to voting Bush because although Bush was a Republican president prior to 9/11; it was already too late".

We hired a guy to do some interior painting who had the best bumper sticker. It simply said "Democrats hate America" Needless to say, the small talk became a little forced after I noticed that.

Unfortunately, both parties have been hijacked by the extremes. The Republican Party more so than the Democrats, IMO. I just believe that if the extremist stranglehold could be broken...we wouldn't have the problems that we do.

I'd agree with your sentiments. The political system has been hijacked by radicals on both sides, particularly the right. That said, this Meehan character is a *****ebag. And while he does have the right to free speech and as long as he isn't violating any laws (such as zoning ordinances or billboard regulations) he shouldn't be made to take these billboards down. He DOES deserve every bit of harrassment, ridicule, cajoling and public thrashing he gets over them, though. If you're going to exercise your right to free speech in such a fashion, you also have to be willing to accept all the consequences that come of it from your peers. ;)

jag

Ah, yes. The intelligent and civilized political discussion is still alive and well on the Hype. Glad I haven't missed anything these past couple of months.

You know, I just have to say something, here. Your snarky, holier-than-thou, obnoxious, passive-aggressive commentary and tendency to wrap insults up in vague language that appears on the surface to be attacking things like a lack of intelligent or civilized discussion but is in reality just attacking other posters, making things personal and intended to offend more than it is alleviate any problems is one of the reasons I quit coming into this forum, to be quite honest. It's actually been a pretty nice couple of months here without your attitude, really. People have gotten on pretty well for the most part and even had some fun, enlightening discussions. I find it ironic that you make these passive-aggressive posts chastising people for not being civil and intelligent in their talking points when you are basically doing the same damn thing by doing so, particularly with the sarcastic style you do it in, effectively ensuring that you are simply a part of the problem you keep pointing out rather than a part of the solution. If you feel like you haven't missed anything at all by not being here the last couple of months, maybe you should take another few months off (or more). :up:

jag

You know, I just have to say something, here. Your snarky, holier-than-thou, obnoxious, passive-aggressive commentary and tendency to wrap insults up in vague language that appears on the surface to be attacking things like a lack of intelligent or civilized discussion but is in reality just attacking other posters, making things personal and intended to offend more than it is alleviate any problems is one of the reasons I quit coming into this forum, to be quite honest. It's actually been a pretty nice couple of months here without your attitude, really. People have gotten on pretty well for the most part and even had some fun, enlightening discussions. I find it ironic that you make these passive-aggressive posts chastising people for not being civil and intelligent in their talking points when you are basically doing the same damn thing by doing so, particularly with the sarcastic style you do it in, effectively ensuring that you are simply a part of the problem you keep pointing out rather than a part of the solution. If you feel like you haven't missed anything at all by not being here the last couple of months, maybe you should take another few months off (or more). :up:

jag

Ouch. Now my feelings are hurt. And I'd like to take some more time off, but since my return has been so triumphantly greeted by your obvious disgust at my presence, I think I'll hang around just a bit longer.

Ouch. Now my feelings are hurt. And I'd like to take some more time off, but since my return has been so triumphantly greeted by your obvious disgust at my presence, I think I'll hang around just a bit longer.

Then quit being a part of the problem. :up:

jag

Besides, if Tron gets into trouble he just says he is "done with you" because you're not up to par in debating him.
I found it ironic that he came in talking about "civilized discussion" when the moment he is faced with facts he can't deny he goes into "I can't hear YOU!" mode.

please...please watch the video it is HILARIOUS!!!!!
" our constitution, nation and god are under attack, please don;t vote for a democrat!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
awesomest part? using a quasi-rockn'roll tune to "shame" "liberals"
the ironing! it's delicious:cwink:

please...please watch the video it is HILARIOUS!!!!!
" our constitution, nation and god are under attack, please don;t vote for a democrat!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
awesomest part? using a quasi-rockn'roll tune to "shame" "liberals"
the ironing! it's delicious:cwink:

The lyrics to the song are there (and laughable), but the video isn't available. Is it set to a well-known song or did they come up with their own music?

jag

I think the thing I find saddest about guys liike this Meehan character isn't so much that they're perpetuating this kind of garbage but that they've completely bought into these ridiculous ideas and fear mongering themselves. They've completely and fully invested their faith and beliefs in the people who tell them that the Republicans are absolutely the only people on the planet who can protect them from those scary terrorists; to the point that they've become zealots in their own rights on the issue. Quite frankly, it's this sort of mentality both from the so called "leaders" who use fear tactics to further their own agenda as well as from their sheep-like followers who swallow it hook, line and sinker and then parrot it to anyone within earshot that scare me far more than any terrorist plot every could.

jag

and, to boil down a democrat to "someone who gives money to people that are lazy" is ridiculous, it would like saying republicans only care about the rich and "hate" the poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"