Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

So to the people who've seen it, this movie is even better than TMNT 2007 to you?

Because thats a bit of a tall order IMO.
Can confirm: yup! This might be second only to the 1990 original for me but I loved this one. The Turtles had so much personality in this and they all had time to shine. I even take back what I said about Donatello sounding too young.

I thought it was a solid good time. Really enjoyed the Reznor/Atticus Ross score and animation style.

That said, it never quite went above the level of "that was cute" for me, which is kind of what I expected from the trailers. I felt the personalities of the turtles were a little too watered down and none of them were exactly my favorite iteration of each of the characters. Probably the most sympathetic version of Leo, so I'll give it that, but other than that I wasn't loving the characterizations a ton. Could just be a result of the decision to aim for the younger end of 'teen' which ended up feeling more like kid turtles. For me it feels a bit like an overcorrection from the Bay movie monstrosities to go this cute and cuddly.

I think movie nailed exactly what it was going for, but ultimately I just still think that rare balance of humor and actual serious stakes/emotion in the original film still cannot be beat. That said, by default it's still probably one of the best turtles movies we've had, so I'd be on board for another one to see where they take it.

So to the people who've seen it, this movie is even better than TMNT 2007 to you?

Because thats a bit of a tall order IMO.

I was never a huge fan of TMNT growing up but I remember loving the 07 movie when it came out (more so than the live-action movies), but this new one blows everything out of the water. It's easily my favorite iteration of the turtles. To me this is almost up there with the Spider-Verse movies.

did anyone else feel like Donatello and Mikey's voice actors/personalities should have been reversed at first? It threw me off at first but then got used to it and it didnt bother me Mikey's always been traditionally portrayed as the "youngest kid brother" of the bunch and here they gave that to Donnie.

Thought this was really good. Very few complaints.

Some may want a darker 80s style TMNT but I think franchise has moved beyond that for decades. And I honestly feel the franchise is better than those darker stories.

That being said I do wish this was a bit darker. Not by much. Just Spider-Verse level of "dark". I get this leans more for children but I feel that they could've done that as still been a bit more mature. This felt even less mature than the 2003 series. Other than the mild cursing this was pretty tame. This felt like I wish some of the fight scenes had a little more crunch to em. But maybe that'll come when they introduce Foot Clan, Purple Dragons, etc.

Only major complaint I had was they fell into the big city destroying event for the climax of the movie.

Looking forward to pick this up in 4k and watching again

I had a lot of fun with this. Yeah it was obviously geared towards the tweens and a tad younger but most of the humour worked and I'd definitely be looking forward to a possible sequel

Man, this movie completely tanked in china. Only grossing $1million! WTF?

Scheduled to pass $100M ww today....I dont know how good a result that is though, I'ma little concerned.

Man, this movie completely tanked in china. Only grossing $1million! WTF?

Scheduled to pass $100M ww today....I dont know how good a result that is though, I'ma little concerned.

You think would with self-proclaimed CCP member Jackie Chan as one of the lead characters it would have had much more success, though I guess the CCP, the sensitive babies they are, thought being associated with a rat would “besmirch“ their fragile image.

Because, God forbid they be perceived as weak or fallible in anyway. :whatever:

Jackie Chan aside, has TMNT ever been that popular in China? I'm genuinely curious because I know that certain pop culture phenomenons that are popular nearly everywhere else like Star Wars aren't as big in China.

So, question is, can this movie cross the profitable margin? I really hope so, I want more from this universe.

I liked it a lot, as a very casual Turtles fan. I do now have to watch all the former movies and maybe even some of the shows. I've seen the original three films like 20 years ago, but that's it.

I do think this film might be a tad too similar to Spider-Verse. Puss in Boots was also a clear homage, but it didn't feel quite as reductive. I also didn't particularly care for the laughably predictable end-credits scene.

Beyond those things, this was beautifully animated and very entertaining. I liked all the Turtles and their personalities, even if I can't quite tell all of them apart. A very casual fan, as I said. I'd happily watch a sequel.

Okay, this was great. Caught me off a little bit, and I realized there was no way in hell my mom would have let me and my brother watch this when we were kids. The language and humor straddles a thin line. Still, I loved the Turtles and their personalities. Superfly and the mutants were fun. April was great. The animation was just amazing in the world of Pixar/Illumination domination. Some of the designs just took me out, though. And I do no want to see the full CG model for the final form of Superfly in clear light. I suspect the shadows and colored light hid... stuff.

"We don't have nipples" ****ing killed me. And it killed me that they kept that line of dialogue going. It was definitely Rogan's idea.

Okay, this was great. Caught me off a little bit, and I realized there was no way in hell my mom would have let me and my brother watch this when we were kids. The language and humor straddles a thin line. Still, I loved the Turtles and their personalities. Superfly and the mutants were fun. April was great. The animation was just amazing in the world of Pixar/Illumination domination. Some of the designs just took me out, though. And I do no want to see the full CG model for the final form of Superfly in clear light. I suspect the shadows and colored light hid... stuff.

"We don't have nipples" ****ing killed me. And it killed me that they kept that line of dialogue going. It was definitely Rogan's idea.
Glad you loved it, SB. :D

Love when the theater is empty. Can laugh without thought. :hehe:

He's mollywhopping me, broke my bro and I. :funny:
My theater wasn't empty and there were a bunch of little kids whose heads the jokes whooshed over. I don't know if they were ready for the belly laugh that came out of me when
Splinter surprised the boys with real life cardboard cutouts of the Hollywood Chrises.

My theater wasn't empty and there were a bunch of little kids whose heads the jokes whooshed over. I don't know if they were ready for the belly laugh that came out of me when
Splinter surprised the boys with real life cardboard cutouts of the Hollywood Chrises.
Haha, that was amazing. Doubt many of the little kids would get a bunch of the jokes and references or have any nostalgia for it, but I’m sure they would find it fun regardless and they can start their lifetime Turtles journey here. :cool:

Solid 9/10. I don't really care about the lore changes or anything like that. What I wanted was a modern interpretation of these characters and this delivered. I liked the more New York hip hop approach. I liked the focus on the mutant aspect rather than the ninja shredder stuff. If I want a film that's storyboarded with the original comics, I'll always have the 1990 movie. I like where they've heading with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"