Terrible soundtrack news

Again, every single human being has different tastes. You're never gonna find someone who completely agrees with your taste in music, film, tv, etc. Just because Snyder happens to like one ****ty band doesn't mean anything.

You think Alan Moore has the exact same taste in everything as you? I'll bet anything if you looked up Alan Moore's favorite bands, movies, and tv, you'd find plenty of stuff you disagree with. Doesn't mean he universally has bad taste. Doesn't mean you have to hate all his work automatically.

no i dont think alan moore has the exact same taste as me. when did i say that? or suggest it? we surely have similar ones however. and that doesnt mean i have some fantasy imaginary bond with him, it means that I, along with countless others share the same tastes that happen to be of a counter-cultural flavour. and just because he likes one crap band does mean something significant. i think pliskin said it with a bit more finesse, but how does one, if familiar with counter-culture (watchmen essentially belongs to counter-cultural literature, it was written by one of its ICONS for chrissake) pick this band of all bands? its a bit of an insult. its absolutely comparable with good charlote or some similar trash. what does crappy mainstream radio rock have anything to do with the type of culture watchmen was written for? and doesnt the fact that the director, in charge of the artistic direction of the film, has no clue about the absurdity of that juxtaposition? Mtv star band to close the watchmen film? the friggin watchmen film.

so if you read a bit closer youd see its more than a matter of 'tastes' and i think someone with aesthetic integrity wouldnt just give into some claim to endless subjectivity...i tend to take people's 'tastes' as somewhat reflective of their integrity. crappy taste=bad aestehtic integrity=fears that this will leak over into the rest of the film.

and whats the problem with this? i dont see how this isn't a coherent sentiment, expressed by myself, pliskin and many others. it expresses an absolutely valid criticism. we're dealing with high intellectual pop culture, the level that watchmen and moore's work is on and i fear that adding MCR would be a pitch perfect example as to why Moore doesn't want this movie made or to work with hollywood period.

and im speaking as a watchmen fan, not a fan of snyder or as some general 'moviegoer' or 'comic book lover'. i treasure this work and i also treasure how protective alan is about his creation. i respect that protectiveness and will defend his perspective on his own work. as a fan, why not? and unlike him i want to see this movie made. i want it to be done well and for it to be done well it has to do justice to the source. but until i see undeniable proof of that i will remain skeptical, with snyder on the project or friggin terry gilliam (who is on a completely different intellectual spectrum than mr. snyder, imho). and i dont see why you think im all chummy chum with the guy, its just that i share similar tastes with the guy along with many others.

and im skeptical but like i said i want to eat my words, i just dont see how you cant see any logic in these arguments.

and thats that, you can go on about it but im over this thread.

I try to be respectful when disagreeing with someone's point of view, but this is one of those times where I just have to say, this just sounds like b****ing for the sake of b****ing!! It's the END CREDITS!!! Most people don't sit around for the end credits to a film anyway!!! Why is this such a big deal??! Arguably, Synder's done a lot to prove that he's been pretty slavish to the source material, from the look, to fighting over the cut of the film, knowing it would have to be longer than the studio may want it to be, knowing that there are story elements fans will be pissed if they aren't included in the film, the whole nine yards. But THIS is what forces you to lose virtually all your faith in him? He wants a band he likes that you all may not to do a song , not to be included in the narrative of the film, but the END CREDITS, which most moviegoers won't even give a rat's ass about?!?! Are you people so arrogant and ego-maniacal that you would condemn Snyder entirely for liking a band some of you don't? Because you all seek to portray yourselves as authorities on what is good and bad as if it were fact? The only things any one us on these boards are authorities of are jack and s**t, and jack left the room nine pages ago! If your whole opinion of the film has changed because of this one song, then fine. I just find that to be kind of silly.

I had to live through crap like Prince doing the Batman soundtrack, Vanilla Ice in ninja Turtles 2, and tons of people complaining about metal soundtracks when it's actually Pop Rock/Rap Rock/Alternateen crap that they are actually talking about.

Seriously, after Zack has used two rock songs that fit perfectly in amazing trailers for 300 and Watchmen, not to mention Dawn had a decent soundtrack, why doubt his choices when it comes to music?

I had to live through crap like Prince doing the Batman soundtrack, Vanilla Ice in ninja Turtles 2, and tons of people complaining about metal soundtracks when it's actually Pop Rock/Rap Rock/Alternateen crap that they are actually talking about.

The Prince Batman Soundtrack is genius. Shut your face! :cmad:

Seriously, after Zack has used two rock songs that fit perfectly in amazing trailers for 300 and Watchmen, not to mention Dawn had a decent soundtrack, why doubt his choices when it comes to music?

Because the people don't have enough to justifiably complain about.

Ninja Rap ftw

The Prince Batman Soundtrack is genius. Shut your face! :cmad:

I hated the Prince soundtrack with a passion. Partyman is playing on the 5th layer of Hell right now.

Can I start a petition for "My Chemical Romance to cover a Bob Dylan song for the end credits of Watchmen (2009) just to piss off people who are far more anal than is likely mentally healthy in hopes they may chill out a bit?"

i still don't get how people think this song choice will destroy the movie. The WHOLE movie? After it's been confirmed that Hendrix, Dylan, and many others will be in the film? Snyder just doesn't share the same musical taste as other people. I think it'll ruin the impact of the ending, more more. That said, i think i'm pretty sure i'm done with this discussion. It's getting far too crazy.

i still don't get how people think this song choice will destroy the movie. The WHOLE movie? After it's been confirmed that Hendrix, Dylan, and many others will be in the film? Snyder just doesn't share the same musical taste as other people. I think it'll ruin the impact of the ending, more more. That said, i think i'm pretty sure i'm done with this discussion. It's getting far too crazy.

That's kind of a generalization. Not that Snyder should even have to justify his musical tastes to any of us, but him liking My Chemical Romance doesn't mean that he doesn't like music that any of us would like. We're the one's judging his taste in music, not the other way around. And childishly, we're delluding ourselves that him liking MCR taints the whole film for some absurd reason.

Can I start a petition for "My Chemical Romance to cover a Bob Dylan song for the end credits of Watchmen (2009) just to piss off people who are far more anal than is likely mentally healthy in hopes they may chill out a bit?"

Where do I sign?

That's kind of a generalization. Not that Snyder should even have to justify his musical tastes to any of us, but him liking My Chemical Romance doesn't mean that he doesn't like music that any of us would like. We're the one's judging his taste in music, not the other way around. And childishly, we're delluding ourselves that him liking MCR taints the whole film for some absurd reason.

well, that's what i meant. He likes MCR, most don't. But you get my point. And i agree with yours.

And people still need to get it through their heads that the end credits are not part of the movie. MCR is not going to be in Watchmen. It's nothing more than music to listen to as you exit the theater.

Think about it this way, sometimes when a movie ends, it'll actually say "The End", in big letters on screen. When a movie does that, at what point in the film does that happen? After the credits? No, before. Because that's the end. The credits are not part of the movie. That's why it's acceptable to put non-80's music over the credits. Because it's just the damn credits.

Norman, I'd like to consider myself one of your biggest fans, but you need to back the F*** off. It's a Superhero movie forum. People are allowed to be anal about movies, even (relatively) small details. Nobody is forcing you to read this thread.

Norman, I'd like to consider myself one of your biggest fans, but you need to back the F*** off. It's a Superhero movie forum. People are allowed to be anal about movies, even (relatively) small details. Nobody is forcing you to read this thread.

...and there's also no reason to take his comment personally.

And people still need to get it through their heads that the end credits are not part of the movie. MCR is not going to be in Watchmen. It's nothing more than music to listen to as you exit the theater.

Think about it this way, sometimes when a movie ends, it'll actually say "The End", in big letters on screen. When a movie does that, at what point in the film does that happen? After the credits? No, before. Because that's the end. The credits are not part of the movie. That's why it's acceptable to put non-80's music over the credits. Because it's just the damn credits.

I understand what you're saying. But just because it's the end credits doesn't mean the director has to go "Oh well, end of movie, i'll put whatever music i want over the end credits". The important thing is to drive the impact of the ending home. I've stated before that i'm not a fan of directors placing rock music at the end of their films that have such powerful endings. Exit music or not, the impact of the ending, to me,when the bass player in the rock band shouts out "1,2,3,4 ::cue loud music::" when the screen fades or cuts to black. It's more than just My Chemical Romance. Snyder could use the Ramones or somebody of that ilk, but i'd still say it's not appropriate. You need to use a song that fits the impact of the ending. And Snyder's already keen on using Desolation Row. So Desolation Row it is. Now, does a fast, loud rock song really fit the impact of the ending? No, it doesn't. But the original song does. Just go listen to it.

That said, i'd be FAR more content if MCR just decided to throw creativity out the window and just do a carbon copy cover of the original. Therefore, i'd imagine, MOST(but not all) would be happy.

With all due respect, shut it.
If people are allowed to be anal and complain nonstop about a song in the end credits, then others should be able to complain about said complainers.

If people are allowed to be anal and complain nonstop about a song in the end credits, then others should be able to complain about said complainers.

But then... I guess that gives him the right to complain about someone complaining about his complaining...

Yay! We're all happy!

:huh: Why did this thread become so personal? Either you like the choice of music or you don't. There's no reason to attack other posters just because of their opinions. They're simply expressing their feelings about a decision that Zach Snyder has made (Is it official that MCR's doing a song?). I don't think I've seen one person say "I like MCR! I'm so glad they're doing the end credits song!" but if they had, I don't think anyone would've jumped down their throats about it and become so vicious with their comments. Sure they may have cracked a joke, "epic fail", or something along those lines but not to the point where they would've told them to "shut the f*** up!". This has really gotten out of hand. If you don't like the fact that MCR is doing a song, simply say you don't like it. If you DO like the fact MCR is doing a song, then say it. There is absolutely NO reason to be attacking other posters like this.

clearly its negative effect on the film itself will be minimal. but its still a god awful and borderline offensive choice, in my opinion. and i sincerely hope it doesnt happen.

and i sincerely hope it doesnt happen.

To be honest, at this point I severely doubt it will. We know, almost for a fact, that Snyder and co. do pay attention to online chatter about this movie. He mentioned at Comic-Con, when talking about the trailer, that he'd been reading what fans wrote online. It's very likely he's reading these posts, and realizes how bad the fan outcry is.

This isn't some split reaction, it's pretty much a consensus that this is a bad idea. Notice, there isn't a "should they/shouldn't they" argument going on here, there's a "this kinda sucks/this ruins the whole movie for me" argument.

I have to imagine that Snyder will change his mind after seeing how much people hate this idea. Or maybe he'll make it the second credits song. You know how most movies with long credits have more than one song play, maybe MCR will be second. I couldn't give two ****s what the second song is, i'll probably never hear it.

Well, thanks for saying that I had due respect

i think that i'll just point out that in the Prestige, which is made by Christopher Nolan, who basically this board completely worships, used an electronic Thom Yorke song over the end credits of a film that takes place in the late 19th century- film (IMHO) still rediculously awesome.

Now I understand that there is a huge difference between using a thom yorke song and a gerard-way-cover-of-a-bob-dylan song (Yorke FTW) but seriously if it is done decently it should flow well, despite the fact that it is a NEW cover it is still an OLD song and what is more of a juxtaposition a 23 year gap between setting and song or a 100+ year gap?

also need i remind everyone that while it is still 1985 it is an ALTERnATE 1985 IN WHICH THERE ARE ELECTRIC CARS, WE WON NAM, NIXON IS PRESIDENT AND BLUE MEN CAN TELEPORT TO MARS- i don't think its that much of a streatch that desolation road would sound just a little bit different.

okay i just heard the cover version and i'm pretty sure its time to bust out the torches and pitchforks

its bad...very bad

The song is up on Youtube. I'm not going to argue about MCR itself, the quality of the band or the quality of the cover. All I'm going to say is that the song doesn't fit for one simple reason. It's very loud and fast. Too loud and fast (and even a bit up-beat) to compliment the ending, which is slow, quiet and depressing.

In case this post actually gets recognized:

Zack, Mr. Snyder, the director of Watchmen, we implore you to reconsider and use Dylan's original version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"