The Force Awakens TFA not being screened for critics

trolls will say because it's bad movie... just wait... :o

I think this might be a tad misleading. I think it will screen for critics, but just not the organizations way early.

Essentially, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" will be on lockdown until December 18th, and we've heard rumblings that regular critics screenings also won't be happening for the movie, and given this news, that's probably going to be the case. So, it's fans first this time, and/or reviewers who get in line with everyone else. And if you want to learn and juicy details about the movie early, you'll just have to watch the carefully vetted bit of promo material along with everyone else.
This can't be true right? They have to show critics to review the movie. For one, is opening the 16th and 17th on some countries, spoilers would be everyone on social media before it opens here.
If Disney is so "concerned" about spoilers, they should open the movie the same day everywhere. I think this whole secrecy thing is stupid. If critics don't get to review this, I would be worried.
Is just a movie.

I'm not concerned because this is Star Wars. The name brand alone is gonna sell tickets even if the movie sucks just as bad as I or II, so I wouldn't expect them to bar critics from seeing it because they're worried about the quality.

Especially when Disney was fine letting critics screen stinkers like Thor 2.

If that's the case, the mods can change the thread title.
Oh, I don't know. But all I saw mentioned were the big critic meet ups that they usually do at the end of the year. JJ isn't showing many people the movie 3 weeks early.

Yeah this is misleading. It is for the groups, and associations. So to me if I’m reading it correctly they don’t care if it does not get an Oscar.

But regardless them waiting as long as they can does not spell doom. This is JJ he likes as much secrecy as possible. Trust me Disney is behind this film 100%.

Yeah this is misleading. It is for the groups, and associations. So to me if I’m reading it correctly they don’t care if it does not get an Oscar.

But regardless them waiting as long as they can does not spell doom. This is JJ he likes as much secrecy as possible. Trust me Disney is behind this film 100%.
Why should we trust you? :o

Would this face lie?

tumblr_inline_mgw84uNEH31ru8zwl.gif

Someone should tell them that the plot's been online for almost a year.

WELP we know what this means. Sounds like we've got another PLUTO NASH on our hands.

Thanks a lot, Abrams.

;)

Someone should tell them that the plot's been online for almost a year.

And people who would rather wait and see the movie instead of spoiling the whole thing early appreciate that the screenings will be limited so there's somewhat less of chance that some jackass will spoil the whole thing early because they saw a screening.

Not like it really matters. Even though this is being done to prevent spoilers, Star Wars is critic proof anyway.

And people who would rather wait and see the movie instead of spoiling the whole thing early appreciate that the screenings will be limited so there's somewhat less of chance that some jackass will spoil the whole thing early because they saw a screening.

This.

Websites are notorious for putting spoilers in article headlines and on front pages. Its needlessly stupid, selfish, and mean. They do it to get more page views and clicks. So if this keeps that **** from happening then good.

Critics won't be able to spoil, it but you can bet the people in other countries who are getting it a few days early will.

The minute the first screening lets out every spoiler will be all over the internet - that is, if people aren't live-tweeting spoilers during the movie. By the end of the day every detail of the film will be online.

If they're concerned about spoilers, why are they releasing the movie earlier in some countries than others?

The day before Star Wars goes on its earliest general release date, I'll be retiring from the Internet until I get to see it for myself.

I don't want some jackass online ruining my experience.

Good idea. There won't be any safe place online, even in the most innocent looking, unrelated message thread. The spoiler jerks will be everywhere!

So I read the AFI changed the deadline dates from December 7th to December 16th to allow The Force Awakens into consideration. Originally Disney wasn't going to screen it to them that early, for fear of leaking huge spoilers.

http://collider.com/star-wars-7-force-awakens-afi-awards/

The Force of Star Wars is so strong that awards groups are bending to its will, not the other way around. While most year-end films jockey for the release date/premiere date/film festival date that best positions it for awards consideration, Disney has opted not to screen Star Wars: The Force Awakens early for critics groups in favor of keeping its secrets all under wraps. That means it will not make the cut for consideration for the New York Film Critics Circle, the Los Angeles Film Critics Association, or the Screen Actors Guild, and it was supposed to miss out on the AFI Awards. However, in a funny turn of events, the American Film Institute has pushed its awards announcement over a week, from December 7th to December 16th, so that its voters can see Star Wars before turning in their year-end lists.
Per THR, the change was made “to ensure the jury has the opportunity to screen the unusual amount of late releases this year.” Indeed, films like The Revenant and Joy are coming down to the wire, but are expected to be completed in time for consideration for the major critics groups at the beginning of December. Star Wars, however, won’t screen openly until its Los Angeles premiere on December 14th, meaning the new AFI Awards date gets voters in just under the wire.

What’s funny here is that we don’t even know if Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be award-worthy. J.J. Abrams has never been in the race before, and even if The Force Awakens is good, awards groups have a bit of a prejudice about overly sci-fi films or giant blockbusters—of which Star Wars is unabashedly both.
However, AFI has a predilection for choosing an eclectic group of films in its year-end Top 10. The Dark Knight Rises, Bridesmaids, and Coraline all made some of its recent Top 10 lists, so a Star Wars mention isn’t entirely out of the question.
One group The Force Awakens will absolutely be ready for, however, is the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Will it follow in the footsteps of George Lucas’ 1977 original and land a Best Picture nomination? Well we’ll just have to see if it’s good or not first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"