Thanos in Thor 3

It would be a shame if we didn't, given that he's pretty integral to the story of Ragnarok in both Marvel Comics and Norse Mythology. Then again, Marvel Studios have repeatedly shown willingness to take artistic licence with their properties before...

Agreed.

Going back to the two gauntlet thing though. How?

I have a theory on why there may be two gauntlets and possibly two sets of gems.
Did anyone read the casting call for Infinity War part 1?

If so, here are my thoughts, spoiler tagged of course.

Apparently It features Thanos and Magus. Magus is Adam Warlock's alter evil side that separates from him. He apparently assembles the infinity gauntlet and creates avenger dopplegangers. What if the way he gets them is by taking them from the past, or future, and into the now. It would make sense if the time gem gets involved and Marvel stays with the 616 idea that you travel to another reality/timeline when you time travel. If that is the case, it could explain how we end up with two gauntlets, and where these avenger doubles come from. Especially if the Infinity War somehow spans through infinity

Is Thor 3 the last solo movie prior to Avengers:Infinity War part 1?

If so I could see Thanos making an appearance, perhaps capturing Thor as a cliff hanger for the Avengers film.

Is Thor 3 the last solo movie prior to Avengers:Infinity War part 1?

If so I could see Thanos making an appearance, perhaps capturing Thor as a cliff hanger for the Avengers film.

Indeed it is. In theory, he needs to stop off and pick-up the tesseract.

I could see Thanos taking advantage of Asgard in ruins and swooping in to steal the tesseract - or even better Odin if forced to trade it to Hela for Thor's life and she gives it to her sweetie Thanos...

Or even more likely that Odin is in Hel and Thor trades the stone for his father's life and Odin it torn between staying or leaving because Frida is in Hel....

I hope Kevin F. is taking notes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking notes on the page titled "What not to do"

A more dramatic story would be Thanos killing a weakened Odin, slaps around Thor, and captures Loki. He then cracks open the Tesseract to reveal the Infinity Stone inside. Thor then heads to Earth to warn the Avengers of Thanos.

Doing this also opens the path for Thor to gain the Odin force to fight Thanos in IW and eventually become King of Asgard and continue his story.

^ I seriously love that idea, that would be PERFECT. Let's hope something of that magnitude does happen, it'd be interesting to finally see Odin in battle (and against Thanos no less) and then for him to lose, which would further paint a picture of just how dangerous Thanos is.

A more dramatic story would be Thanos killing a weakened Odin, slaps around Thor, and captures Loki. He then cracks open the Tesseract to reveal the Infinity Stone inside. Thor then heads to Earth to warn the Avengers of Thanos.

Doing this also opens the path for Thor to gain the Odin force to fight Thanos in IW and eventually become King of Asgard and continue his story.

This!

meow...!

Marvel make this happen!!

Love this idea!

Honestly, I want Thanos to be the main villain in Thor: Ragnarok, for much the same points InternetPeople brings up. This is the last movie before Infinity War, but before that the audience needs a proper display of Thanos' power and he needs to get the Tesseract/Space Stone. Thanos sacking Asgard accomplishes both of those.

Honestly, I want Thanos to be the main villain in Thor: Ragnarok, for much the same points InternetPeople brings up. This is the last movie before Infinity War, but before that the audience needs a proper display of Thanos' power and he needs to get the Tesseract/Space Stone. Thanos sacking Asgard accomplishes both of those.
I wouldn't mind Thanos being the one to unleash Surtur on Asgard, or be at least partially responsible for it. Maybe he convinces Hela?

I wouldn't mind Thanos being the one to unleash Surtur on Asgard, or be at least partially responsible for it. Maybe he convinces Hela?

I picture Thanos taking Surtur's place.

So, the Enchantress or Hela wants Thanos' help in attacking Asgard in exchange for whatever he wants out of Odin's vault, directly mirroring the deals Loki and Ronan made with him in earlier movies. But Thanos isn't putting his trust in others anymore, so once his pawn lets him and his army into Asgard, he turns on her and sets the place on fire. Heimdall, the Warriors Three, Tyr and the Einherjar, maybe Odin if he isn't already dead - all of them fall in battle with Thanos and his army. Maybe Sif, too, but personally I'd prefer her show up in the Infinity War movies. Thor and Sif escape to Earth to warn the Avengers about Thanos impending arrival, while Loki stays behind, destroys whatever portal they used to escape, and gets captured.

Something like that.

Thanos = Wrecking Ball = Miley Cyrus

[Insert ThanosOnWreckingBall.gif Here]

I picture Thanos taking Surtur's place.

So, the Enchantress or Hela wants Thanos' help in attacking Asgard in exchange for whatever he wants out of Odin's vault, directly mirroring the deals Loki and Ronan made with him in earlier movies. But Thanos isn't putting his trust in others anymore, so once his pawn lets him and his army into Asgard, he turns on her and sets the place on fire. Heimdall, the Warriors Three, Tyr and the Einherjar, maybe Odin if he isn't already dead - all of them fall in battle with Thanos and his army. Maybe Sif, too, but personally I'd prefer her show up in the Infinity War movies. Thor and Sif escape to Earth to warn the Avengers about Thanos impending arrival, while Loki stays behind, destroys whatever portal they used to escape, and gets captured.

Something like that.

Some interesting stuff here - but I would hate to see Surtur written out of the picture all together - he's visually such an interesting character [with a history with Odin] and I would hate for Thanos to be over saturated before his big two part film [GUARDIANS 2 might build up his threat level a bit] .

A few have mentioned Thanos attacking Earth - does he even need to go to Earth? Surely there were not two stones hidden there. I think the Avengers will be taking the battle to him - possible to aid Asgard, rescue Thor, etc.

If Thor is defeated/captured at the end of this movie it makes for a bigger cliff hanger [think Han Solo at the end of EMPIRE] - maybe Sif and Loki go to the Avengers for help - they trust her but not him - conflict, etc.

This could be a great one - hope Marvel pulls out all the stops and gives us as many cool Kirby characters as they can - Ulik, Surtur, Mangog, etc.! This is Ragnarok after all!

Some interesting stuff here - but I would hate to see Surtur written out of the picture all together - he's visually such an interesting character [with a history with Odin] and I would hate for Thanos to be over saturated before his big two part film [GUARDIANS 2 might build up his threat level a bit].
Like most other two part movies, I imagine Infinity War - Part I being a lot of build up while Part II is almost entirely the climactic battle. Part I will probably spend a lot of time getting the team together, tying up loose ends, and giving nice character moments to those we might not be seeing again once the dust settles. I also doubt Thanos will be attacking Earth alone. So Magus, Nebula, maybe some take on the Black Order - those guys will also need to be taken care of before Thanos.

Either way, I don't think Thanos himself will be doing all that much until Part II. "Over-saturation" shouldn't be that much of a concern.

A few have mentioned Thanos attacking Earth - does he even need to go to Earth? Surely there were not two stones hidden there. I think the Avengers will be taking the battle to him - possible to aid Asgard, rescue Thor, etc.
Besides the fact that the Mind Stone is there, Thanos really wants to pick a fight with Earth. He got way too excited when he heard challenging the humans was "to court Death."

Also because taking the Mind Stone to Thanos sounds like a bad idea.

If Thor is defeated/captured at the end of this movie it makes for a bigger cliff hanger [think Han Solo at the end of EMPIRE] - maybe Sif and Loki go to the Avengers for help - they trust her but not him - conflict, etc.
Maybe. I just think Loki sacrificing himself for a greater good (for real this time) makes for a great character moment. Loki, with his roguish charm, is more Han than Thor is.

Thanos shouldn't appear unless they do something daring and end the film with a downer. Thanos should be powerful enough that Thor is a mere gnat to him, so we absolutely shouldn't get some sort of plot where Thor thwarts him and Thanos is forced to regroup for Infinity War.

It wouldn't be without precedent for Loki to make a sacrifice for the greater good. It's probably one of the more interesting threads to explore in this series. But before that happens I want to see Loki venture further down the path of villainy. Aside from his actions in Avengers he's largely been sympathetic. A proper evil turn would make any potentially redemptive acts have much more weight in the long run. But by and large this is a Thor film and I do not want to see his characterization sacrificed for more of Loki's. They need to get the balance right like they did in the first film.

And Thanos will not replace Surtur. I do not believe that for a minute. Surtur is too big of a character in the Thor mythos for them to completely discard him. If that were to happen... well I don't want to think about it.

I think Loki took control of Asgard for his own purposes, whatever they are (Loki is the dog chasing a car; he caught it, now what?). After Loki is found out by Thor and Odin is rescued/freed/whatevered they are forced to into an uneasy alliance and band together to defeat Surtur. After the demon is vanquished, our heroes are exhausted and bloodied but the fight is not over. Thanos rolls up on Asgard and surveys the damage. "Loki" Thanos says with familiarity. No one knows of Loki's previous encounter with Thanos, and so Loki must think fast and ends up siding with Thanos to save his skin, "I did this for you, the Tesseract is yours." Loki says, betraying Asgard again. First Thor attacks Thanos who slaps him away. Then Odin attacks with all the might the Asgardian King can muster but he is ultimately destroyed. Thor escapes to Earth* to warn the Avengers that Thanos is collecting the stones putting the crosshairs squarely on Vision.

Loki will ultimately turn on Thanos in IWpt2 as he is a trickster. Besides, it's not like Loki would want Thanos to succeed. Loki's inclusion with Thanos will give Thanos someone to talk to who is smart and quipy. Let's be honest, Thanos needs a friend, a real one, not some imaginary chick who's whole concept is really hard to present on screen. Without a friend, Thanos could just do his thing without saying a word, he needs Loki. I'm just not feelin' Death.

*I don't know how this happens but I have ideas.

1) Does he use the Tesseract to shoot himself to Earth? Thanos should have possession of the Space Stone so I doubt Thor can get his hands on it.

2) Does Loki help Thor escape? Loki would be tipping his cards. I don't like this idea. You want the audience to feel this guy's betrayal.

3) Is the Bi-Frost still operational? If Asgard is destroyed then probably not.

4) Outside help? Maybe the Guardians show up from following Thanos' path of destruction and find a wounded, heavily beaten Thor. Thor awakes in IWpt1 and demands they take him to Earth to warn the Avengers before it is too late.

Last edited:
My question is do we see BALDER in some manner in Ragnarok?

Is Balder some kind of object that Thanos destroys that sets Ragnarok in motion for Asgard or what?

Last edited:
I'd bet NO on Balder but if he were to be included I'd bet he's not a sibling to Thor. I think the subtitle "Ragnarok" is meant to describe the destruction of everything rather than an Asgardian cycle of death and rebirth.

Thanos shouldn't appear unless they do something daring and end the film with a downer. Thanos should be powerful enough that Thor is a mere gnat to him, so we absolutely shouldn't get some sort of plot where Thor thwarts him and Thanos is forced to regroup for Infinity War.

Yeah, Ragnarok does not go well for Asgard.

I'd bet NO on Balder but if he were to be included I'd bet he's not a sibling to Thor. I think the subtitle "Ragnarok" is meant to describe the destruction of everything rather than an Asgardian cycle of death and rebirth.

It's a shame because Balder the Brave is so important to the traditional story of Ragnarok. Elsewhere, I posted my idea on how to incorporate Balder the Brave in a way that doesn't distract from the main story. Although I personally wouldn't mind him in the main story. I agree, don't make him a brother (or half-brother) of Thor. That wasn't really emphasized early on anyway.

And Thanos will not replace Surtur. I do not believe that for a minute. Surtur is too big of a character in the Thor mythos for them to completely discard him. If that were to happen... well I don't want to think about it.
I don't want Thanos to replace Surtur. Maybe he convinces Hela and Surtur to start Ragnarok ahead of schedule though - so he can get the Tesseract himself (as he implied he would in Age of Ultron). That way, Thanos is doing something, but he is not the main show. Not yet at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"