Guardians of the Galaxy Thanos & Infinity Gauntlet Theories

Captain Marvel

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
If you'll all grant me your indulgence, I have a couple of Thanos theories which I'd like to post for posterity in case it turns out five years down the road that I was right, so let me know what you think of them.
THEORY 1: The Tesseract contains the Power Gem and the Space Gem.
We've seen this before in the comics. The Magus built a device around five Cosmic Cubes in order to access their power instead of interfacing with them directly, and Thanos built one giant gem to house and interface with the six Infinity Gems the first time he had them, so this idea isn't without precedent. My theory is that whoever built the Tesseract got their hands on the Power Gem and Space Gem but didn't know how to properly wield them, so they built the cube around both gems in order to tap into their power.
THEORY 2: Loki's Scepter has the Mind Gem.
Like my above theory, the scepter is used as a device to access the power of the gem. I think this one's pretty obvious, though. It's a big blue gem on a stick with mind control powers.
THEORY 3: Thanos wanted Loki to lose.
Either this was intentional, or it was a giant plot hole, but I'm going with the former. Thanos wants the Tesseract, right? So why didn't he just go get it himself? We saw that he had the ability to access the Tesseract from a distance and activate it, which is how he got Loki to it. So why bother with the whole army and conquest of Earth thing? Just use your ability to activate the Tesseract, teleport yourself to it, and then have one of your spaceships come and pick you up, or use it to transport yourself away in the same way that Thor and Loki used it to transport themselves back to Asgard.

One could see that as a plothole, OR it could be a part of a greater scheme by Thanos. Why claim the Tesseract when you can get it later along with something else? Now that Loki's lost, where's the Tesseract going? Straight into Odin's treasure room. And with his ability to activate the Tesseract from a distance, this means that Thanos can now teleport himself directly inside Odin's vault, bypassing all of Asgard's defenses. And he doesn't have to worry about running into any defenses on the inside because the Destroyer is still on Earth (Thor, you dumbass. You should've picked up the Destroyer while you were at it). Thanos would gladly gamble the Tesseract (or two Infinity Gems, if I'm right), if he thinks he can get more power out of it.

So picture this: Thanos has one Infinity Gem already, the Mind Gem. He gives it to Loki who takes it to the Power Gem and Space Gem and promptly gets captured, and all three gems are taken to Odin's vault. Thanos accesses the Tesseract from afar to teleport himself into Odin's now undefended vault where he grabs up all three, PLUS a fourth gem which was already inside the vault*. And then over the course of Guardians of the Galaxy he procures a fifth gem, and the sixth he picks up in Avengers 2 or Guardians of the Galaxy 2, just in time for Avengers 3.

Those're my theories, anyway. I guess we'll see if any of them ever pan out.

*Incidentally, I'm going to squeal like a little girl if I ever get the chance to see Anthony Hopkins/Odin throwing down with Thanos.

That would be amazing. I don't think Thanos would teleport that easily and take the Cube. Thor will likely talk to Odin (does he know the gems are in the cube?). If he does or not he will likely put guards at the vault, when Thanos comes the other Asgardians can be alerted. Either have Odin confront Thanos or have Thor chase Thanos across the cosmos, but eventually Thanos escapes.

That would be amazing. I don't think Thanos would teleport that easily and take the Cube. Thor will likely talk to Odin (does he know the gems are in the cube?). If he does or not he will likely put guards at the vault, when Thanos comes the other Asgardians can be alerted. Either have Odin confront Thanos or have Thor chase Thanos across the cosmos, but eventually Thanos escapes.

Yeah, that's why I put the asterisk. Narratively speaking, you can't just have him pop up into the vault, take the gems, and leave without so much as a by-your-leave. Something has to happen. There has to be some kind of obstacle to Thanos other than stubbing his toe on the way out. He has to earn those gems. As we saw in Thor, Odin was able to sense someone in the vault, and may be able to sense Thanos's arrival. One imagines that during the movie Thor and Jane Foster will be off somewhere else exploring the Nine Worlds, so it could be Odin who tries to stop him, which could lead to what could potentially be one of the best comic fight scenes ever filmed.

...but like I said, all just a theory.

Did the Gauntlet shown in Thor not have the gems?

I said all along that Thanos wanted Loki to fail, so that he (Thanos) could use the Tesseract then to gate into Asgard and retake the Gauntlet from Odin's Vault.

Did the Gauntlet shown in Thor not have the gems?

a4doj.jpg

I said all along that Thanos wanted Loki to fail, so that he (Thanos) could use the Tesseract then to gate into Asgard and retake the Gauntlet from Odin's Vault.

Well, if that turns out to be the case, then you'll certainly have bragging rights. :D

As for the gauntlet in Odin's vault, it'd be a bit much if you have a guy walk up to it, put it on, and suddenly they have infinite power. I see its presence there playing out in several ways.

1) It's an Easter Egg. Much like Cap's shield in Iron Man, it won't affect future story developments. Remember all the theories people had about Cap using his triangular shield in WWII and then when he gets to the present he gets the round shield that Tony has in his workshop? Nothing came from that, and it even got lampshaded a bit when Tony used his fake shield to prop up the cabels in his lab.

2) It's like the fake Tesseract that the Red Skull first found. Like the false Tesseract, Odin may have made that as a false lure for anyone hunting for the Infinity Gems. Hell, it may even be a trap. Put it on and it zaps you or something.

Either way, I have a hard time believing that Thanos gaining the Infinity Gems will be anywhere as easy as getting all six of them at once. And if they were all together, then why wouldn't Odin use them? Why would he just leave them laying around in his vault? Seriously. Just imagine if any of those Frost Giants had known what they were. Any one of them could've put the gauntlet on and wished all the Asgardians dead. Loki, who's already broken in there once, could get in again and hold infinite power. There's simply no way that Odin has omnipotent power just laying around on a pedestal.

Well, if that turns out to be the case, then you'll certainly have bragging rights. :D

As for the gauntlet in Odin's vault, it'd be a bit much if you have a guy walk up to it, put it on, and suddenly they have infinite power. I see its presence there playing out in several ways.

1) It's an Easter Egg. Much like Cap's shield in Iron Man, it won't affect future story developments. Remember all the theories people had about Cap using his triangular shield in WWII and then when he gets to the present he gets the round shield that Tony has in his workshop? Nothing came from that, and it even got lampshaded a bit when Tony used his fake shield to prop up the cabels in his lab.

2) It's like the fake Tesseract that the Red Skull first found. Like the false Tesseract, Odin may have made that as a false lure for anyone hunting for the Infinity Gems. Hell, it may even be a trap. Put it on and it zaps you or something.

Either way, I have a hard time believing that Thanos gaining the Infinity Gems will be anywhere as easy as getting all six of them at once. And if they were all together, then why wouldn't Odin use them? Why would he just leave them laying around in his vault? Seriously. Just imagine if any of those Frost Giants had known what they were. Any one of them could've put the gauntlet on and wished all the Asgardians dead. Loki, who's already broken in there once, could get in again and hold infinite power. There's simply no way that Odin has omnipotent power just laying around on a pedestal.

1) Simple enough: Thanos manufactured the Gauntlet; he very well could have crafted it so that only *he* has the power to wield it. Odin kicked Thanos' ass sometime in the past and "won" the Gauntlet off him; the Allfather naturally assumes that Thanos is dead and gone, or at the very least is too stupid and/or too weak to try to bust into the Treasury in Asgard to try to steal it back.

2) I highly, highly doubt the Gauntlet is a fake. The Cask sure as hell wasn't, so there's no reason to assume that any of the other items in the Treasury are.

Thanos manufacturing the Infinity Gems? Odin beating Thanos even with the Infinity Gauntlet? Odin assuming Thanos is too stupid/weak to get it back (Since when does anyone associate the words "stupid" and "weak" with Thanos)? None of that makes a whole lot of sense. I still stand by my original position that it was probably just an Easter Egg, like Cap's shield in Iron Man which, despite fan belief at the time, did NOT turn out to be the shield which Cap would end up wielding. If and when the real storyline comes around, it probably won't be a fully assembled gauntlet which Thanos will find in Odin's vault, but a single gem.

As for the Cask of Winters, there's a vast chasm of difference between it and the Infinity Gauntlet. We've already seen that Odin would put a fake only a few feet away from the real thing in order to draw attention away from it. He could just as easily have a fake Infinity Gauntlet sitting around to trick someone into thinking they got all six Infinity Gems and were done, when the real treasure, one of the gems, was hidden away better. Point is, you don't leave a weapon lying around which can overpower the Destroyer. The Destroyer can likely take the Cask of Winters. He can't take all six Infinity Gems, so leaving them lying around where any intruder can grab them is ludicrous.

As did I

1) Simple enough: Thanos manufactured the Gauntlet; he very well could have crafted it so that only *he* has the power to wield it. Odin kicked Thanos' ass sometime in the past and "won" the Gauntlet off him; the Allfather naturally assumes that Thanos is dead and gone, or at the very least is too stupid and/or too weak to try to bust into the Treasury in Asgard to try to steal it back.

2) I highly, highly doubt the Gauntlet is a fake. The Cask sure as hell wasn't, so there's no reason to assume that any of the other items in the Treasury are.

I just don't see how Odin would have been able to beat Thanos while he had the gauntlet. That seems just ridiculous.

Thanos manufacturing the Infinity Gems? Odin beating Thanos even with the Infinity Gauntlet? Odin assuming Thanos is too stupid/weak to get it back (Since when does anyone associate the words "stupid" and "weak" with Thanos)? None of that makes a whole lot of sense. I still stand by my original position that it was probably just an Easter Egg, like Cap's shield in Iron Man which, despite fan belief at the time, did NOT turn out to be the shield which Cap would end up wielding. If and when the real storyline comes around, it probably won't be a fully assembled gauntlet which Thanos will find in Odin's vault, but a single gem.

As for the Cask of Winters, there's a vast chasm of difference between it and the Infinity Gauntlet. We've already seen that Odin would put a fake only a few feet away from the real thing in order to draw attention away from it. He could just as easily have a fake Infinity Gauntlet sitting around to trick someone into thinking they got all six Infinity Gems and were done, when the real treasure, one of the gems, was hidden away better. Point is, you don't leave a weapon lying around which can overpower the Destroyer. The Destroyer can likely take the Cask of Winters. He can't take all six Infinity Gems, so leaving them lying around where any intruder can grab them is ludicrous.

hmmmmm

Make the battle between Odin and Thanos take place eons ago, when Thanos was much weaker and more hot-headed and impetuous. The ages have made him stronger, and wiser, and deadlier.

As for "security" in the Treasury Room: the first movie made it fairly clear that it was simply inconceivable that anyone could or would try to infiltrate it to steal these powerful relics. It was a matter of a betrayal of trust --- i.e., the only way the Frost Giants could get in was for someone on the inside to LET them in, and Odin didn't foresee Loki becoming that traitor.

Thanos isn't that old. And being younger, more hot-headed, and impetuous doesn't change the fact that he'd still have infinite power versus Odin's very finite power.

And all of that is way too complicated an explanation when the simpler explanation is this: that it was an Easter Egg shown all too briefly and as such won't determine future story events, no more than Cap's shield appearing in the Iron Man movies had any impact on the Captain America movie. Nevermind that his getting his hands on all six Infinity Gems at once just doesn't make narrative sense. For a character to achieve that kind of power he has to work for it. He simply can't walk into a vault, pick it up off a pedestal, and call it a day. There has to be some serious effort on his part. I do think Thanos is going to be ending up in Odin's throne room, but he's not going to end up bagging six Infinity Gems all at once as a result of that move. If he does then that's lazy storytelling at its most pronounced.

Thanos isn't that old. And being younger, more hot-headed, and impetuous doesn't change the fact that he'd still have infinite power versus Odin's very finite power.

And all of that is way too complicated an explanation when the simpler explanation is this: that it was an Easter Egg shown all too briefly and as such won't determine future story events, no more than Cap's shield appearing in the Iron Man movies had any impact on the Captain America movie. Nevermind that his getting his hands on all six Infinity Gems at once just doesn't make narrative sense. For a character to achieve that kind of power he has to work for it. He simply can't walk into a vault, pick it up off a pedestal, and call it a day. There has to be some serious effort on his part. I do think Thanos is going to be ending up in Odin's throne room, but he's not going to end up bagging six Infinity Gems all at once as a result of that move. If he does then that's lazy storytelling at its most pronounced.

I don't think it's lazy storytelling; the end result of the Gems is The Gauntlet anyway....that's the macguffin that most fanboys recognize, more so than each individual Gem (even the most diehard fanboy, including me, probably couldn't name all six Gems without having to look it up). So it makes more sense to make the Gauntlet the item Thanos is after, rather than trying to drag out the long and protracted story of gathering the Gems and *then* making the Gauntlet....a prospect that would likely take many, many movies and even decades to complete.

And the other side of that coin is that if the treasury-room Gauntlet *did* turn out to be a non-canon easter egg, you'd probably face a bigger backlash from the fanboy community. Remember, it's not just a brief scene in the Thor movie: it's also a prop that was prominently (and by all counts intentionally) paraded through a Kevin Feige video interview, and also proudly displayed at SDCC. You can't sweep ALL that under the rug.

The Gauntlet is there, in Asgard. Marvel Studios has made a point of it. For them to deny it now would piss off a lot of fanboys.

Thanos is several hundred years old.

Eons /= Centuries.

a prospect that would likely take many, many movies and even decades to complete.

Decades? There're six gems. That's one or two per film. And how hard are their names to remember? Time, Space, Reality, Power, Soul, Mind. I didn't even have to think twice about it, much less look it up.

As for narrative sense, you just can't have a character achieve omnipotence by grabbing a glove off a podium and putting it on. Something that momentous shouldn't be so easy to achieve. Any character that pursues something like that has to seriously work for it, not just grab it off a shelf.

If one assumes the Mind Gem was in the scepter that Thanos gave Loki, then there's one gem right there. He uses the Tesseract to transport himself into Odin's treasure room then he can grab it and at least a second in Thor 2. Maybe more if my theory about the Tesseract containing one or two Infinity Gems is correct. He collects another in Guardians of the Galaxy, and the last in Avengers 2, thus leading up to Avengers 3. Simple, and doesn't require decades of storytelling to achieve, and it's a far more interesting story than his just zapping himself into Odin's treasure room and instantly attaining godhood.

And the other side of that coin is that if the treasury-room Gauntlet *did* turn out to be a non-canon easter egg, you'd probably face a bigger backlash from the fanboy community. Remember, it's not just a brief scene in the Thor movie: it's also a prop that was prominently (and by all counts intentionally) paraded through a Kevin Feige video interview, and also proudly displayed at SDCC. You can't sweep ALL that under the rug.

How so? That's a prop which will still be eventually used, as there will be an Infinity Gauntlet. Do you really think the fanboys will rage because a two-second blink-and-you-missed-it Easter Egg wasn't factored into the story? Cap's shield in Iron Man 2 was a bigger deal than that, and yet I didn't hear any wailing or gnashing of teeth because that wasn't the shield that Cap would use in the modern days, and never found its way into his hands. Why would this be any different?

The Gauntlet is there, in Asgard. Marvel Studios has made a point of it. For them to deny it now would piss off a lot of fanboys.

Frankly, you're grossly exaggerating, given that most fanboys didn't even notice the brief appearance it made in Thor. I know I didn't. That shield that Tony was fiddling around with got more screentime than that, and was actually handled by Tony and Coulson, and nobody popped a gasket because that wasn't the shield that Cap was slinging around New York in Avengers.

Eons /= Centuries.

Eons...centuries....a long, long time ago. I used "eons" as a superlative.

Decades? There're six gems. That's one or two per film. And how hard are their names to remember? Time, Space, Reality, Power, Soul, Mind. I didn't even have to think twice about it, much less look it up.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. ;)

As for narrative sense, you just can't have a character achieve omnipotence by grabbing a glove off a podium and putting it on. Something that momentous shouldn't be so easy to achieve. Any character that pursues something like that has to seriously work for it, not just grab it off a shelf.

If Thanos has been trying for eons --- uh, centuries --- to find a way into Asgard's Treasury to get that darned glove back, you don't think he worked hard at it? We don't have to *physically* see him spending hundreds of years trying to find a way in...most villains acquire long-lost trinkets and just say, "At last, the _________ _______ is MINE! MWAHAHAHAHA" and we just take their word for it that it was a ***** to try to get it.

If one assumes the Mind Gem was in the scepter that Thanos gave Loki, then there's one gem right there. He uses the Tesseract to transport himself into Odin's treasure room then he can grab it and at least a second in Thor 2. Maybe more if my theory about the Tesseract containing one or two Infinity Gems is correct. He collects another in Guardians of the Galaxy, and the last in Avengers 2, thus leading up to Avengers 3. Simple, and doesn't require decades of storytelling to achieve, and it's a far more interesting story than his just zapping himself into Odin's treasure room and instantly attaining godhood.

No, zapping himself into the treasure room IS the simplest method. *Your* way is VERY complex, and involves, what, FIVE separate movies spanning the course of close to a *real* decade of filmmaking....?

How so? That's a prop which will still be eventually used, as there will be an Infinity Gauntlet. Do you really think the fanboys will rage because a two-second blink-and-you-missed-it Easter Egg wasn't factored into the story? Cap's shield in Iron Man 2 was a bigger deal than that, and yet I didn't hear any wailing or gnashing of teeth because that wasn't the shield that Cap would use in the modern days, and never found its way into his hands. Why would this be any different?

Frankly, you're grossly exaggerating, given that most fanboys didn't even notice the brief appearance it made in Thor. I know I didn't. That shield that Tony was fiddling around with got more screentime than that, and was actually handled by Tony and Coulson, and nobody popped a gasket because that wasn't the shield that Cap was slinging around New York in Avengers.

You gotta lay off the Cap's shield comparison, man. Nobody *****ed about the shield because it WAS established in film canon, and didn't contradict itself. Cap's shield was recovered from the crash site, and that's the one he's still using in Avengers; as for the IM shield, it still exists, for whatever purpose it was originally designed for. Presumably, Howard and/or Tony had a go at trying to make a duplicate at some time in the past just to try to figure out if a new shield could be made, and to see how the darn thing worked.

That's *not* the same thing as teasing an important item in movies and fandom, and then pretending like it never actually happened.

It is comparable, because Cap's shield showing up in the Iron Man was a much bigger deal than the, what, two-second appearance of the Infinity Gauntlet in a quick scrolling shot? And you think there's going to be legions of fanboys screaming about that?

1) The number of fanboys, period, amounts to about $1 million in box office.
2) The number of fanboys who even noticed that appearance is a miniscule fraction of that. There was another thread here a while back where there were people shocked to find out that the Infinity Gauntlet made an appearance in Thor.
3) The number of fanboys who A) Noticed it in the movie, and B) Will care that future plot threads don't hinge on that is a miniscule fraction of Group #2.

Seriously, we're literally talking about a split-second appearance. The entire time it's onscreen is less than a second, and it's while a Frost Giant is getting vaporized by the Destroyer. That's the very definition of an Easter Egg. That's not something to tie the future narrative of their franchise to. And if it really mattered then Marvel can take a page from Captain America: The First Avenger and say that the gauntlet in Odin's treasure room is a fake, and that it hides the location of the real treasure, which could be a single Infinity Gem hidden elsewhere (Which shouldn't be unexpected, given that an Infinity Gem is a far more meaningful prize than the Casket of Winters, and worth extra protection).

But even if they don't go that route and ignore that bit completely, do you really think that we're going to have mobs of fanboys furiously waving banners and howling because they decide to pursue a storyline which contradicts those 0.0034 seconds of film in the Thor movie?

Come on, man. :doh:

No, zapping himself into the treasure room IS the simplest method. *Your* way is VERY complex, and involves, what, FIVE separate movies spanning the course of close to a *real* decade of filmmaking....?

I didn't say it was the simplest method, because in this case the simplest method, what you're talking about, is also the one most lacking in dramatic tension and logic. I mean that it is relatively simple. My way is also more exciting from a narrative point of view and far more satisfying then reaching into some crevice in Odin's vault and suddenly possessing godlike power. And if Avengers 3 is released in 2017, as Marvel intends, then we're talking five years max, albeit Thanos will have assembled the Infinity Gauntlet before that movie, so three or four years and three or four movies.

Okay, I'll take your word for it. ;)

As if I have a reason to lie. :whatever:

Oh wow, my guess was almost exactly on the dot. I just counted the time that the Infinity Gauntlet was on screen on Thor and it was literally 0.36 seconds, or 9/25ths of a second. Sweet! My guess was off by only 1/50th of a second. :D

Here, by the way, is the appearance which it made in Thor. All 9/25ths of a second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP525AbBkSg&feature=plcp

Don't blink.

....Is that including the days it spent on prominent display at SDCC...? Or the time it showed up in the Kevin Feige video interview? Or the time it was displayed in the Art of Thor book (along with the other Treasury items)?

You can undermine it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Marvel Studios themselves have *advertised* the Gauntlet. They've made damn sure that all fanboys who know what the IG is are made well aware that it exists in the MCU, in the Treasury.

*You* can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want about fakes and misdirection all you want, but the fact remains that it was there, it was unmistakable, and Marvel Studios has continued to advertise and show it off in other places. I've seen no evidence that Kevin Feige is in the bait 'n' switch business in any MS film so far, so I find it baffling that you think he's suddenly going to start, just because *you* don't want the Gauntlet to exist yet.

I don't think it's lazy storytelling; the end result of the Gems is The Gauntlet anyway....that's the macguffin that most fanboys recognize, more so than each individual Gem (even the most diehard fanboy, including me, probably couldn't name all six Gems without having to look it up). So it makes more sense to make the Gauntlet the item Thanos is after, rather than trying to drag out the long and protracted story of gathering the Gems and *then* making the Gauntlet....a prospect that would likely take many, many movies and even decades to complete.

What I want to know is how gauntlet was taken from thanos by odin. Im with the other guy, its still infinite power, not sure how they can make odin take it away from thanos.

Thanos is several hundred years old.

Several hundred?? I don't think so. I figured he was at a minimum, 3000 years old. Even on large scales, I think he makes Thor literally look like a young man in terms of age. I'd be shocked if Thanos was anything under 3000 years.

....Is that including the days it spent on prominent display at SDCC...? Or the time it showed up in the Kevin Feige video interview? Or the time it was displayed in the Art of Thor book (along with the other Treasury items)?

You can undermine it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that Marvel Studios themselves have *advertised* the Gauntlet. They've made damn sure that all fanboys who know what the IG is are made well aware that it exists in the MCU, in the Treasury.

*You* can come up with all the conspiracy theories you want about fakes and misdirection all you want, but the fact remains that it was there, it was unmistakable, and Marvel Studios has continued to advertise and show it off in other places. I've seen no evidence that Kevin Feige is in the bait 'n' switch business in any MS film so far, so I find it baffling that you think he's suddenly going to start, just because *you* don't want the Gauntlet to exist yet.

Ok sam, in his defense, you tend to make mountains out of mo hills, or whatever with the whole "you" thing lol. You've done it to me numerous times as well. :p BUT

with that aside, I am completely with you on this. The IG has been introduced

Several hundred?? I don't think so. I figured he was at a minimum, 3000 years old. Even on large scales, I think he makes Thor literally look like a young man in terms of age. I'd be shocked if Thanos was anything under 3000 years.

I don't think an age has ever been given. Thousands is probably more accurate though.

[YT]ejqbg-2IPnA[/YT]

The Titan grins. FINALLY the official clip has been released

What if the gems aren't real and are just stand in replicas?

Again: the Cask wasn't a replica. It actually worked. So there's no reason to assume that any of the other relics are fakes.

Yes, it's kind of hard for us to grasp that these reality-bending Relics of Power would just be sitting around on display in a museum with no visible security at all. But it probably comes down to the fact that it's The Goddamn Allfather's Treasury Room, and NOBODY --- least of all Odin --- expects ANYBODY to be able to (or even contemplate) busting into Asgard and then looting the Treasury. The ONLY way it could be done is from the inside, and Odin had no reason to mistrust anybody in Asgard to be such a traitor. Until the events of the Thor movie unfolded and Loki betrayed him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"