Age of Ultron Thanos' role in Age of Ultron

He's not the most likely candidate because the entire point of Ultron is that he's created with good intentions but turns evil which makes the audience sympathize strongly with the hero who created him, not the villain who created him.

He's not the most likely candidate because the entire point of Ultron is that he's created with good intentions but turns evil which makes the audience sympathize strongly with the hero who created him, not the villain who created him.

Why are you assuming that, when it's never been stated in any of the interviews with Joss or Feige, and when that was never the case in the comics....? :huh:

Nobody in fandom ever "sympathized" with Hank Pym about his creation getting out of hand, or even considers him some great hero and role model. He's still universally loathed as "that crazy wifebeater guy," no matter how unfairly.

And since the movies obviously aren't going the Hank Pym route anyway, then it's completely up in the air as to whether a good guy creates Ultron with good intentions, or a bad guy creates Ultron with bad intentions, or any combination thereof.

I still am gunna be THAT GUY, who says, we find out Pym had to do with it in Ant-Man :p

I still am gunna be THAT GUY, who says, we find out Pym had to do with it in Ant-Man :p

I'll buy you a bottle of scotch and french kiss you straight up on the mouth, all hetero manly-man and stuff, if that happens. But I ain't bettin' on it, knowing Joss; so don't buy any lipstick just yet. :cwink:

Why are you assuming that, when it's never been stated in any of the interviews with Joss or Feige, and when that was never the case in the comics....? :huh:

Nobody in fandom ever "sympathized" with Hank Pym about his creation getting out of hand, or even considers him some great hero and role model. He's still universally loathed as "that crazy wifebeater guy," no matter how unfairly.

And since the movies obviously aren't going the Hank Pym route anyway, then it's completely up in the air as to whether a good guy creates Ultron with good intentions, or a bad guy creates Ultron with bad intentions, or any combination thereof.

So in your opinion, Hank Pym, otherwise known as the Superhero/Avenger/founding Avenger Ant-Man, who will be starring in his own movie a few months after Age of Ultron is released is not a hero, but a villain? On the same level of someone like Justin Hammer (funded a terrorist's work) and Arnim Zola, a Nazi scientist?

So in your opinion, Hank Pym, otherwise known as the Superhero/Avenger/founding Avenger Ant-Man, who will be starring in his own movie a few months after Age of Ultron is released is not a hero, but a villain? On the same level of someone like Justin Hammer (funded a terrorist's work) and Arnim Zola, a Nazi scientist?

Not at all.
Hank Pym is a deeply flawed hero. I call him an anti-hero, and everyone around here *****es; but what I'm saying is that he's not a hero in the traditional sense of a role model, paragon of virtue, all that razzmatazz. He's a mentally disturbed individual who has a dysfunctional "family" with Janet, Ultron, Vision, and Jocasta. That's what makes the Ultron of the comics so interesting, because there's a lot of Freudian psychodrama there.

And we won't see any of that in the final analysis for AOU. Instead, they'll either go with the tragic hero angle that you believe in, wherein a good guy builds a bad robot; or the typical simple villain angle that I believe in, wherein a bad guy builds a bad robot. Neither angle adequately captures what Ultron and Pym are all about, so either version is a major step down, imho; but I just think Marvel/Disney will keep it simple for the kids and the marketing aspect of the film. They're not very big on making tragic and flawed heroes, or making a golden goose like Tony Stark lose hero points by creating a genocidal robot that he can't rein in.

Not at all.
Hank Pym is a deeply flawed hero. I call him an anti-hero, and everyone around here *****es; but what I'm saying is that he's not a hero in the traditional sense of a role model, paragon of virtue, all that razzmatazz. He's a mentally disturbed individual who has a dysfunctional "family" with Janet, Ultron, Vision, and Jocasta.

Disney wouldn't have portrayed him as a "mentally disturbed" individual with a dysfunctional family; even if they had kept him as Ultron's creator. it'd be unrealistic to expect that. consider how long it took to build that "family," for instance. that would have taken up, at least, two movies; at the expense of the other Avengers. and my money's on hypothetical movie-Pym being no more disturbed than RDj's Tony Stark (and his family; Pepper, Jarvis, and Dummy).

I'll buy you a bottle of scotch and french kiss you straight up on the mouth, all hetero manly-man and stuff, if that happens. But I ain't bettin' on it, knowing Joss; so don't buy any lipstick just yet. :cwink:

We'll see after the Ant-man movie, I feel confident :cwink:

While a free bottle of scotch sounds pretty awesome....those other promises, I don't know Sam...I don't know.

I don't think Thanos will have any part in Ultron's sentience. I think it will all be JARVIS. We know Stark is the creator of Ultron and we know that JARVIS is beginning to act buggy (it was a deleted scene in IM3). I think JARVIS will go haywire and that will give rise to Ultron. JARVIS will then be reigned back but it will be too late as Ultron now has sentience. I doubt we see Thanos at all in AOU unless they show an after movie clip of him acquiring more stones. I do hope we see Vision in here though.

I hope this isn't the case but I'm starting to think it is. I want Thanos involved.

Thanos won't have any part in his sentience, but I bet he'll be a part of the movie. Imagine a development into a mix of infinity gauntlet and war of kings? We know the stones are going to have some role in AoU, Fiege said the McGuffin from GotG will factor into AoU, which means Thanos will be somewhat relevant. Perhaps Ultron is aware of Thanos, and Ultron will want it for himself? So my guess about Ultron having something to do with one of the gems seems a bit accurate.

Thanos simply popping up and taking gems/stones through out the series until Avengers 3 would get tedious. He will more than likely have a larger, more expanded role that leads to it. Sure, his goal is to collect the gems, and create the IG, but I would expect more would happen, and we would see him do different things to get to that point. Other characters try to take that power...Thanos have to readjust his plan...etc, I think he'll be an interesting character in these movies.

Ultron gets defeated, but doesn't die, and maybe he goes into space. So for a GotG sequel, maybe we'd get an Annihlation Conquest type thing, with a villain who at the end turns out to have been controlled by Ultron. Thanos could sort of act as an Anti-Villain like he has shown to in the past, before taking the power for himself..then..Avengers 3?

Someone said something about AAA signing a multi picture deal? Kurse is dead, right? What if AAA plays Thanos??? Could that work?

Last edited:
I'm hoping Damion Poitier becomes the franchise's David Prowse with Thanos. As far as voices go, I hope we get someone at the level of James Earl Jones.

I still hope it's cumberbatch.

But bump. THanos will have a presence in the movie. Fiege said the macguffin from GotG will filter into AoU. Which means Ultron will have sometrhing to do with the infinity stones/gems.

Did Feige really say that? Where?

If so then I suspect it will be the Mind Gem, which will then be responsible for giving Ultron free will. That's hot.

it is my understanding, that thanos was originally gonna be the villain in avengers 2 and avengers 3 was gonna be the civil war but they changed their minds and made him the villain in avengers 3. is this accurate?

I suppose it's not really official per say, but I mean, what else could there possibly be? It's already super ambitious to be setting up a villain over such a long course of time, so I'd think it's unwise to keep his debut and relevance past Avengers 3.

Civil War would never work on screen anyways. Not when Marvel Studios is missing a lot of the crucial players to begin with. And even if they bought back every single right, it'd be a logistical nightmare to write a script for such a thing, and then double to actually film it.

Unless you pull an X-Men and focus on 1-4 characters while everyone is just standing to the side with nothing else to do but just be there for the hell of it.

I don't think that Thanos will have much of a role in AOU, at least not directly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got another mid or post-credit scene where it's revealed that Thanos has been watching the events on Earth and modifying his plans to adapt to the new situation.

I still hope it's cumberbatch.

But bump. THanos will have a presence in the movie. Fiege said the macguffin from GotG will filter into AoU. Which means Ultron will have sometrhing to do with the infinity stones/gems.
Where'd he say that?

it is my understanding, that thanos was originally gonna be the villain in avengers 2 and avengers 3 was gonna be the civil war but they changed their minds and made him the villain in avengers 3. is this accurate?

I recall that rumor came from El Mayimbe. Which is to say, its complete BS.

Did Feige really say that? Where?

If so then I suspect it will be the Mind Gem, which will then be responsible for giving Ultron free will. That's hot.

Nah, It was always intended for Ultron in the second, Joss said so himself.

Where'd he say that?

As for the quote, let me try to dig it up. I remember reading it some time last fall, and I mentioned it multiple times, lets see if I can find it

Civil War would never work on screen anyways. Not when Marvel Studios is missing a lot of the crucial players to begin with. And even if they bought back every single right, it'd be a logistical nightmare to write a script for such a thing, and then double to actually film it.
you don't know that man. they said avengers wouldn't work on camera and it did.
I recall that rumor came from El Mayimbe. Which is to say, its complete BS.
el mayimbe? can you tell me wat that is? coz I never heard of it. for me, it started with this vid:

Nah, It was always intended for Ultron in the second, Joss said so himself.

really? could you please, kindly show me a source please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"