The Amazing Spider-Man 2 vs Batman V Superman

Spider-Aziz

Dummy Dragon Holo
Reaction score
Based on popular demand (if three votes count as such)
Personally, I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a better comparison for BvS, but Spider-Man 3 is the one people seem to want to discuss.

I also think ASM2 is the better comparison for BvS as well.

I'd agree TASM 2 VS BVS is a better comparison. I may give BVS that one but I haven't re-watched ASM 2 since seeing it in the theater.
Here's your coffee.

I'm going to take this as a dare.

ASM 2 has been taunting me in my Netflix recommendations for awhile anyway.

*Looking at poll results*

2hnJMQg.gif

I'm going to take this as a dare.

ASM 2 has been taunting me in my Netflix recommendations for awhile anyway.
I hope you did not take that dare, because I'm confident you will wish you didn't, and I don't want you to waste your time on a movie you cannot stomach.

Last edited:
Ugh, where is the "All Mangled and Killed" poll option?

If forced, I'd say TASM 2 is *marginally* better. It doesn't have quite the same soul-deadening hatred of joy and color as BvS, and it doesn't have any single scenes that are nearly as mind blowingly stupid as the Knightmare sequence. But this is *really* damning with faint praise, TASM 2 is very much also a badly executed movie with an equally bad core conception, wherein the world as a whole would be better if it didn't exist.

This is tough. TASM2 was easier to ignore. It was one Spider-Man film of many and was soon overshadowed by Tom Holland's version. It is also shorter than BvS, so that's a plus. But wow, is it bad and pretty much a classic example of film that seems like it was produced in a board room by a bunch of executives who just saw it is a quick way to get to their own cinematic universe without putting in real effort. It is the 2010s version of Batman & Robin.

BvS is a total disaster, but there is at least the attempt at legitimate artistic merit, even if it doesn't work. There are a few aspects of BvS that I can say were done decently. It was a boring slog to watch, but I can't say I hated pretty much every minute of it the same way I did TASM2.

They are both terrible, and maybe I will say the opposite next week, but for now, gun to my head, I will begrudgingly admit that BvS has more value.

Without a doubt BvS, any version you like as they're both better.

Both have poor villains portrayed terribly, however I'd marginally say Eisenberg's Luthor (& Doomsday) is better than DeHann's Goblin & Foxx's Electro.. and believe me I hate Eisenberg's Lex.

In an ironic twist I will say though I thought Gwen's death was done far better than Superman's & I actually cared more about her death than I did Superman's.. which shouldn't be the case.

Overall both films are a mess, they each do have their moments though, but IMO BvS is less of a mess.

In an ironic twist I will say though I thought Gwen's death was done far better than Superman's & I actually cared more about her death than I did Superman's.. which shouldn't be the case.

This is a fair point. But that's because Gwen was written and portrayed in a more endearing fashion than Snyder's Superman was.

Easier for mainstream audiences to care about her than connect with the man of murder.

Yeah, as crappy as the movie is, I liked Garfield and Emma. They have great chemistry and even though her death scene is silly (the web looking like a little hand was extra cringey) I gave a damn when she died. I felt nothing other than annoyed by Superman's death because while I liked his character in MoS for the most part, he was a vacuum in BvS.

They're both absolute messes. I'm not sure if one is really any better than the other but TASM2 for as much as it is a cluster**** of studio meddling, absurdly busy storytelling and mostly an excuse to set up movies that were never and should never have been made it has a beating heart in Peter and Gwen that BvS lacks.

Wait a poll where BvS is actually winning. I honestly never expected to see that this soon, but I'd still vote for BvS even if its just the theatrical cut, because at least I find it more tolerable to watch than TASM2. I will admit though that the death of Gwen Stacy was handled much better in TASM2 than the death of Superman in BvS, but that's because I actually really liked Stone in the role.

In terms of which is easier to watch , that's a tough call. I haven't seen either film the whole way through since I saw them in theaters.

Both films are examples of studio meddling and desperate attempts to create cinematic universes akin to what the MCU was doing at that point.

Both films were meant to launch spin offs , and neither of the films were treated too kindly by the critics, regardless of which ever film got better reviews.

Both films ultimately resulted in the recast and reboot of their main characters , though the Snyderverse and Batfleck are making a comeback.

Both felt like bloated overstuffed messes without much of a coherent narrative through each film.

Both had scenes I felt were laughably bad.

So for me , they're somewhat an equal level. I know there are people on the board who strongly disagree with that . That's fine. To each is own.

Neither film does it for me.

This is a fair point. But that's because Gwen was written and portrayed in a more endearing fashion than Snyder's Superman was.

Easier for mainstream audiences to care about her than connect with the man of murder.

It was more the way her death was shot in it's entirety & Peter's reaction to her death for me. It's the smallest touches of how it was shot & the suspense build up that make it more saddening.

Superman's death in BvS, although obviously it was WAY too soon into the DCEU to be thinking about doing The Death of Superman arc, however something as small as having him die smack in the middle of Metropolis in front frightened, crying onlookers might have helped make it feel more impactful.

Look at the subtle differences in The Death of Superman animation & BvS's scenes. He dies in somewhat similar fashion, however there's more of a suspense because it involves a sobbing Lois & a sense of Superman must stop him, there & then. In BvS after he saves Lois & gets the spear, it's kinda like, I guess it's time for me to go die, wait here.

There are some CBM's that may be worse than TASM 2, but I still hate TASM 2 more than any other because it's a character that I love more than the rest.

I don't hate BvS or ASM 2. I don't think they're good films, and I prefer not to watch them, but I don't hate them .

Had BvS and ASM2 been the only adaptations of those characters on screen I would probably hate them.

But, given that i've seen those characters done right on film and other media ,more times than they've been done wrong , its easier for me to dismiss those films as misfires that are outside the norm.

I have BTAS, B89, TDK Trilogy, Smallville, STM and Superman 2, Spiderman 1 and 2, SMHC, SMFFH etc, who've all done it right, so its hard for me to truly get worked up with films which don't work.

BvS is much better, quite an underrated film.

Soundtrack, action, cinematography and Affleck performance were good and the story is ok.

i enjoyed it and the pacing is ok, would rate It with a 7.5/10

It does have some flaws sure but it’s not that bad imo and I haven’t seen the Extended cut.

TASM2 killed off my interest in that new version of Spider-man even though I was fine with TASM1 (would give it a 7/10) and liked Garfield and Stone.

BvS wins for me.

Both are embarrassing but at least tasm2 didn't have desaturated colors and had better vfx. Bvs just took itself very too seriously and Zack snyder is one of my least favorite directors ever. Not even my girl, Diana from Themsyra can save the movie.

I think both movies suffer from very similar problems. Both were inferior sequels to already divisive films that had tried an unnecessary dark tone which didn't fit their respective characters. Both managed to destroy some of the most iconic comic book moments and villains, not only by adding too many, but by being terrible all the same. Both tried to force a cinematic universe set up without an actual build-up, both were filled with poor cgi, both were underwhelming in the box office.

They are very close but I think The Amazing Spider-man 2 was a bit worse. Its tone was all over the place, it had that awful dubstep soundtrack and while it did have some redeeming qualities like the Peter-Gwen relationship and the spidey costume, it completely ruined Gwen's death for me and it threw so many characters away, like Harry Osborn, Electro and Rhino, while also killing Norman Osborn off screen after just a two minute introduction. It was a hot mess. And no matter how bad BvS was, you could at least see some vision behind it, even if it was by no means a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"