Superman: The Movie vs Batman '89 vs Spider-Man 1

Yeah, I like this poll because there is no obvious winner.

I have to give it to Superman. Spider-Man by Sam Raimi is a close second though.

I enjoy Batman 89 but it's definitely the least of the three.

I think Spider-Man unfortunately has the worst costume of the three, it's fine, pretty good but definitely doesn't feel really iconic or just-right, even for when it was released let alone now, compared to the other two; Batman's is iconic and a contender for but not definitely just-right, Superman's is both.

I think Spider-Man unfortunately has the worst costume of the three, it's fine, pretty good but definitely doesn't feel really iconic or just-right, even for when it was released let alone now, compared to the other two; Batman's is iconic and a contender for but not definitely just-right, Superman's is both.
Spider-Man's costume is still a bit more comic accurate than Batman's. Keaton's suit was badass but he looked like he could barely move in that thing.

I'm aware that I'm in the minority, but I'd say that Superman's is far and away the worst of the three. As Stan Lee once said, "What works on the page doesn't always work on the screen." Reeve's costume is a perfect example of that. The fabric looks like a cheap Halloween costume. It was so small and tight that it actually made Reeve look smaller, which is something that shouldn't happen in particular with a strength-based character.

B89 is the worst cosutume of the three. In some ways, the Spider-Man outfit feels like a good marriage between B89 attempting a more credible superhero suit, and STM having a more comic book accurate one.

Superman (1978) as many know is my 'go-to', it is my ultimate CBM, so that will always come first in any choice. For these 3, it would be....

Superman (1978)
Spider-Man (2002)
Batman (1989)

Hero: Spider-Man
Villain: Batman
Love Interest: Superman
Supporting Cast: Spider-Man
Score: Superman
Effects: Batman
Costume: Spider-Man
Story: Spider-Man

I liked B89 but I didn't like how they wrote the Joker while I couldn't really connect with the Christopher Reeve's Superman movies for various reasons. I go with SM1 as I personally feel that both the story and main villain were more compelling.

Best overall film: Superman :TM. The sense of scope combined with John Williams makes this film hard to resist.

Best Action: Spider-Man (2002). The razor bat dodge is a classic moment.

Best love interest: I'll go against the grain and say Mary Jane.

Best Villain: Hackman is fine and Nicholson is suave, but I'm a Gobby Guy.

Best pacing: Batman can get boring and Superman can feel a little overlong, but Sam Raimi Spider-man has some of the best pacing in the genre.

Best hero: Chris Reeve's Superman.

Worst moment: the part in Batman 89 where they desecrate the art gallery. Slows down the film and feels anachronistic to the setting.

Best Score: Superman: TM

Best effects: The animated bits in Batman 89 are bad, and Spider-Man has the dummy scene and ropey CGI, so ironically I put Superman: TM as having the best special effects.

Best moment: The thing about MJ (Spider-Man)

----------

So yeah, I'd say Superman:TM barely edges out Raimi's Spider-Man, which I personally think smushes Batman 89 (and I'm a Batman fan).

I'd take Spider-Man. 8/10

Goblin was a great villain, the action and story is fine and while being dated, it's still a fun watch.

I haven't seen Superman, but enjoyed Superman II a good while. Need to rewatch it and Batman, which I think was good but not great for now. Nicholson did a good job and some scenes were good but the characters were a bit off. Would still rate it with a 7/10 for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"