The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - - - - Part 25

What if David Fincher had directed the series reboot, starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker but the movie being not an origin but, as he wanted to do before, an adaptation of the Death of Gwen Stacy?

Andrew Garfield was the wrong choice. His American accent does not work.

In hindsight, it should’ve gone to Donald Glover.

Andrew Garfield was the wrong choice. His American accent does not work.

In hindsight, it should’ve gone to Donald Glover.
He was a great choice, his American accent is fine.

Donald Glover wouldn't really make a better choice. 'Cocoa house' and 'This is the best meatloaf' wouldn't sound as great coming out of him.

Anyone think dying Captain Stacy making Peter make him a promise was a little inspired by Qui-Gon doing so to Obi-Wan in TPM?

Anyone think dying Captain Stacy making Peter make him a promise was a little inspired by Qui-Gon doing so to Obi-Wan in TPM?
I did not think of it that way cause I keep forgetting dialogue from The Phantom Menace. I keep associating I want you to promise me one thing: Keep Gwen out of this" with "Protect Gwen" from Amazing Spider-Man 90.

I think Marc should've focused on building up Eddie & Venom (should be based on the 1610 version since the series is focusing on Pete’s parents) for the third and the fourth films while Most of them Sinister Six members comes in later films rather than bringing them & the clone saga arc into one movie.

The Amazing Spider-Man is quite literally a direct adaptation of the source material from Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man comics.

I keep hearing people say that the MCU Spidey movies are just like the Ultimate Spider-Man comics by Brian Michael Bendis, but really, the only two things they have in common are the look of Iron Man's grey/red suit and Peter being in high school. The characters, the tone, the personalities, the motivations, and the story arcs are all vastly different from that particular comic run.

Whereas In both Ultimate Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man:

- Tone is the same
- Relationship between Peter and Aunt May is the same
- Peter is an awkward, spazzy, semi-angsty outsider who's not quite comfortable in his own skin, and his mannerisms reflect this.
- his parents left him when he was very young before dying in a plane crash and he didn't know why they left him until he discovers his father's revolutionary work (that was stolen from him) in the basement
- Peter gets bitten by an Oscorp spider
- he tests out his new powers in a warehouse
- he embarrasses Flash on the basketball court using his powers
- Uncle Ben explains Richard's ideology regarding responsibility to Peter, to which Peter then asks 'if this was my dad's philosophy then where is he now?' before storming off.
- Peter builds web shooters in his basement
- As Spider-Man, he constantly taunts bad guys with witty comments and by rattling off jokes.
- no matter what he does to help, the police keep trying to arrest him because they think he's a criminal.
- Eventually, a big, green, mutated monster attacks Peter's high school in the middle of the day.
- Peter confides in his academically-gifted love interest that he is Spider-Man, often going to her for help. He breaks up with her to keep her safe, but eventually gets back together with her because he loves her too much to not be with her.
- Heck, he even has an Albert Einstein poster on his wall!

The Amazing Spider-Man is SOOOO much closer to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics than the MCU Spidey movies by a very, very long shot.

- Eventually, a big, green, mutated monster attacks Peter's high school in the middle of the day.

That, and the movie Lizard generally, were too much like Ultimate Goblin, like they were pretty much doing the Goblin but under a different name. Given that Norman supposedly actually was important to the film but not appearing in it, it made the film feel even more like not-very-worthwhile setup to what would probably hopefully come later.

Peter confides in his academically-gifted love interest that he is Spider-Man, often going to her for help. He breaks up with her to keep her safe, but eventually gets back together with her because he loves her too much to not be with her.

Peter's identity reveal was an element that was worthwhile to have, one of the few big differences from the Raimi films that felt pretty enjoyable and justified. Him breaking up with Gwen just to get back with her felt at best underdeveloped, though.

First, I get it, this wasn't a super popular take on Spider-Man, but Andrew Garfield was GREAT as Spider-Man IMO (and his accent was pretty good, I didn't realize until later on when I saw an interview with him speaking his native accent that he wasn't American) and he's still my favorite live action Spider-Man actor... And Donald Glover is awful, he's just not a good actor outside of comedy, and he's only mediocre in that genre.

Amazing Spider-Man 1 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie, it's just a shame they screwed up the sequel so badly.

Last edited:
I really love these two tracks

Starting at 01:11 mark

Starting at 03:55 mark

The best part of the music plays then.

James Horner had some heart for his work on the first film though the music for the big action scenes was lacking. I think that's why they brought in Hans Zimmer for the sequel.

One criticism that I think is unfair, why was Peter considered a perv for having Gwen's picture on his computer but Maguire Peter wasn't for having Mary Jane's picture on his mirror?

One criticism that I think is unfair, why was Peter considered a perv for having Gwen's picture on his computer but Maguire Peter wasn't for having Mary Jane's picture on his mirror?
Like everything, people will see what they want to see. The debates between which of the two was better were very intense when The Amazing Spider-Man came out. Supporting either of the two actors became like rival sports teams, it just got ridiculously personal on these boards.

Got to Amazing after I just finished the Raimi trilogy.

I can appreciate that even though we got 2 reboots so quickly, each of the Spidey universes are different enough from each othat that it doesnt feel totally unwarranted.

They definitely should've had JJJ play a small role in this as Spidey in this first film perfectly sets up a hero that he can reasonably dislike and take advantage of the publics questioning of Spiderman.

I always loved Garfield as Peter so I do wish he had gotten at least 1 more film and I think he's a great blend between Tobey and Tom.

Last edited:
I always loved Garfield as Peter so I do wish he had gotten at least 1 more film and I think he's a great blend between Tobey and Tom.

One aspect Marc Webb set out, which I think he succeeded was that on the first film he created a universe that could have stories he wanted to tell but also anticipate future storylines.

Like there was the parents plot etc, but there was world building in the background with Osborn teases, Daily Bugle etc. I could have seen another Spider-Man reboot keep the same continuity, just with a different cast and director.

One aspect Marc Webb set out, which I think he succeeded was that on the first film he created a universe that could have stories he wanted to tell but also anticipate future storylines.

Like there was the parents plot etc, but there was world building in the background with Osborn teases, Daily Bugle etc.

I actually felt kind of cheated that the movie didn't have Jameson and/or Osborn, likewise that from the same era Man of Steel didn't have any Lex Luthor. And it felt odd and annoying that the movie's Curt Connors pretty much was Norman Osborn Green Goblin (especially as in '02 film and Ultimate) except in name.

I actually felt kind of cheated that the movie didn't have Jameson and/or Osborn, likewise that from the same era Man of Steel didn't have any Lex Luthor. And it felt odd and annoying that the movie's Curt Connors pretty much was Norman Osborn Green Goblin (especially as in '02 film and Ultimate) except in name.
What your saying is coming across as contradictory to me. Your criticism is essentially that's its too different... but also too similar.

Captain Stacy played a similar role to Jameson, which was important because all origin stories deal with the concept of the hero being a force for good etc. Where they could, they wanted to distance themselves from Sam Raimi's first. Can't say I agree with your thoughts on Osborn appearing. There's no need for him to appear. Just tease him in the film to set up his debut in a future film like what Nolan did in Batman Begins.

As for Curt Conners, I think that's more a problem with Spider-Man's rogues gallery. The majority of them are just science experiments gone wrong.

Like everything, people will see what they want to see. The debates between which of the two was better were very intense when The Amazing Spider-Man came out. Supporting either of the two actors became like rival sports teams, it just got ridiculously personal on these boards.

Andrew's picture of Gwen was a debate team pic so it wasn't too creepy. It's debatable (pun intended) The part that was kinda creepy was when Peter took the picture of Gwen on the bench.

Last edited:
First, I get it, this wasn't a super popular take on Spider-Man, but Andrew Garfield was GREAT as Spider-Man IMO (and his accent was pretty good, I didn't realize until later on when I saw an interview with him speaking his native accent that he wasn't American) and he's still my favorite live action Spider-Man actor... And Donald Glover is awful, he's just not a good actor outside of comedy, and he's only mediocre in that genre.

Amazing Spider-Man 1 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie, it's just a shame they screwed up the sequel so badly.

I know this is an old post, but who cares. I'm gonna reply to build up my post repertoire (I'm a noob here) Anyway, I think Andrew's accent has a bit of a charm. People sometimes have their own accents and idiosyncrasies, so why can't Peter Parker. It's charming for sure.

Last edited:
What your saying is coming across as contradictory to me. Your criticism is essentially that's its too different... but also too similar.

Not really, either bring Norman back but portray him and his story differently enough or not have a new similar villain/other villain in a similar role, having a Curt that felt really similar to Norman/Goblin (and/but still also referencing Norman) was the worst approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"