• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spider-Man isn't Batman. Batman is simple, the villain is always the main attraction. That's not the case with the greatest Spider-Man stories. The villains are always present, but the focus is always Peter Parker's life. I'm getting beyond hyped for this, waiting for May 1st is getting REAL tough.

Hell no he isn't ,psychologically he is a screwed up man. I do agree with what you have wrote on the whole though.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I've been reading, I can say that I'm quite disappointed. My major disappointment is that we'll probably never have a better Peter and Gwen doing the real Gwen Arc.

Yeah... :(

Just seen it. I personally really enjoyed it. I think the reviews for this film have been exceptionally harsh personally. Yes there are flaws but there is so much good that I could excuse them. Peter and Gwen are the focus of this film NOT the villains. If you go in with that mind-set you will enjoy it far more. The action was exceptional and the film was very funny.

It is not as good as Spider-Man 2 but it certainly takes the number 2 spot for me. Honestly if you liked TASM1 then I think most of you guys who have not seen it will really like it. I am definitely going to be seeing it again ! I personally give it a 3.5/5.
It should be focus, it's not Batman where villains are more interesting then a hero. Another thing what people didn't like I expect from this movie is going to be. Peter Parker life dealing with his own personal issues and being Spiderman in same time saving the world. I am glad you liked the movie still.

Hell no he isn't ,psychologically he is a screwed up man. I do agree with what you have wrote on the whole though.

I agree with you, but Batman is far less complex than Spider-Man. And Batman is one of my all time favorite characters, so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about here. Spider-Man is just more layered than Batman, I've read a great essay that talks about that way better than I ever could:

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-96-why-spider-man-is-the-best-character-ever-yes/

there is at least 2 attempted jump scares in the film a lady sitting on the left side of me jumped out her skin twice, it won't scare everyone though lol

What are they? I'm super jumpy so I'd like a heads up.

ASM2 9/10. Wow where did the time fly. Brilliant visuals mixed with nice narrative and an emotional roller coaster. The movie in no way felt over crowded as some have feared. Liberties were taken but no more than the original movies and the effect is the same if a little more personal. Will certainly be seeing this again in the cinema.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but from what I've been reading, I can say that I'm quite disappointed. My major disappointment is that we'll probably never have a better Peter and Gwen doing the real Gwen Arc.

You won't be disappointed as Peter and Gwen are the heart of the movie.

I agree with you, but Batman is far less complex than Spider-Man. And Batman is one of my all time favorite characters, so I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about here. Spider-Man is just more layered than Batman, I've read a great essay that talks about that way better than I ever could:

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-96-why-spider-man-is-the-best-character-ever-yes/

Cheers for that link , i love stuff like this. perfect bedtime reading stuff. I do agree about Parker's several layers . Andrew does a great job of making this evident to the viewer. As ive said before he is my definative P.P/Spiderman.

What didn't you like?

What I didn't like, was the lack of development for Max's obsession with Spider-Man. It was rather tame. I also felt the beginning was fairly rushed but it was not as bad as some people are saying. Goblin however has a clear and simple motivation so he balances out the villain aspect of things well. Could Electro have been fleshed out ? Absolutely but I think people need to allow the universe to play out to see him develop, if you know what I am saying.

Look this film is extremely playful and it captures Spider-Man's personality wonderfully on screen. Garfield IS Spider-Man. If you liked the humour in Spider-Man 2 or Spectacular Spider-Man you will love this. It's a cross between Spider-Man 2 and TASM1, making the tonal balance perfect.

What also is apparent, is this is a COMIC BOOK MOVIE. It understands that and it has a lot of fun with it.

The visual style and the cinematography at points is beautiful. It is a living breathing comic book movie. It is like the pages are alive and for me it is everything that embodies Spider-Man.

As I said before I think what is different and I think why a lot of people have found it hard to swallow is that this is first and foremost about Peter and Gwen, and Peter growing up and realising the size of this big bad world.

I personally think the general audience have grown accustomed to the fact that, a superhero movie can only be good if it has a really strong villain. TDK I loved because I thought Ledger was fantastic. Batman was cool but Ledger brought a new level to the film. This film is the other way round. It is the little moments that we spend with Peter that make this movie worth it.

Last edited:
I saw it tonight, as one reviewer said 'its still the second best spider-man 2' and I tend to agree, it a great film. The film really is more a love story between peter and Gwen than about the bad guys, but that does not mean its a love story movie on the level of superman returns. Harry's story arc was good, I especially like the first scene with harry and peter after that though Harry's story does feel a little rushed, it would have been nice to see him develop over at least another movie. The mentions of j Jonah were a nice touch too, i just would have preferred we actually saw him in more than a email reply. I should also mention a few scenes from the trailers arse missing most notably parks 'nooooo' and Harry's 'isn't that the question of the day'.

Hans zimmers score was very cool too. While I liked horners score, zimmers was much more current. Overall I really enjoyed it ( though found Richard Parker's underground train lab a little pointless). Look out too for electro's little electric bolt ligo on his arm on his costume, cheesy yet cool.

Cheers for that link , i love stuff like this. perfect bedtime reading stuff. I do agree about Parker's several layers . Andrew does a great job of making this evident to the viewer. As ive said before he is my definative P.P/Spiderman.

You're welcome, Chris Sims is one of my favorite comics news and reviews working today, I feel this is one of his greatest articles. I highly recommend it for Spider-Man and Batman fans alike.

I didn't clock any. Unless he's talking about [BLACKOUT]when gwen is in the elevator and then it jumps to harry who is right beside her[/BLACKOUT]. If people call that a jump scare they should watch a james wan movie.

Another rave from movie reviews social network Letterboxd:

REVIEW BY
Kyle Orton
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 2014 ★★★★★

Watched Apr 16, 2014
Kyle Orton’s review:
It is quite simply brilliant. Trying to explain why without giving anything away is tricky but here goes ...

It is perhaps to be expected in 2014 that visually a film will pass muster but the manner of the passing here is quite exceptional. Better still, there is none of the pretentiousness about it that occasioned Avatar (reviewed here) or—much worse—Life of Pi (see here).

The acting is sensational. It is impossible to overpraise Andrew Garfield. As someone who actually liked Tobey Maguire and the series of Spider-Man films he did, objectivity requires one to note the night-and-day difference in quality; Garfield is just so muc better it diminishes one's view of the entire former series. Garfield manages to be funny, stroppy, love-struck, and sad—and all without inducing this cynical member of the audience to throw one's arms up in despair at the mushiness of it all. The other stand-out is Dane DeHaan, who starred in one of my very favourite films of the last few years, Chronicle (2012). I've heard remarks that there was something similar between his characters in the two films and it is true he does wild-eyed and unhinged in both—but it's so well well done and so adapted to circumstances that I think this is unfair. It is also quite something that the superhero's love-interest, played by Emma Stone, is no mere cut-out in this film; she has a character all her own and the film would be much the poorer without her. I don't like Jamie Foxx: I've looked at his recent films—White House Down and Django Unchained—and while both had severe limitations in their own right, they were the poorer for Mr. Foxx's contribution in my judgment. If this film has a drag factor, he is undoubtedly it, but fair's fair he is passable in the role he is given—at least once he become's the villain.

The story is actually much better done on reflection than it might seem during watching—a reflection of how well it is brought off, the subtlety and smoothness. It manages to weave together two separate story-lines and conclude both in a satisfactory way—albeit leaving one open for a sequel. At two-and-a-half hours it is extraordinarily well-paced and you will never know that it was on for that long. It surpasses in quality and intrigue even its predecessor, which (in my opinion) is quite an achievement.

It is a very unusual experience—especially at the present time—to be so impressed with a film, to find it in all essentials and most particulars faultless. Given the forecast for the rest of the year, it makes a strong case for making sure one gets to see this.

Kyle Orton via Letterboxd

I didn't clock any. Unless he's talking about [BLACKOUT]when gwen is in the elevator and then it jumps to harry who is right beside her[/BLACKOUT]. If people call that a jump scare they should watch a james wan movie.

I'd perhaps consider the scene where [BLACKOUT]Gwen arrives to help fight Electro at the end and Spidey sees another Capt. Stacey vision shortly before Electro bursts through it[/BLACKOUT] one.

‏@CLMorris93 1m
... Yet I dont think anything can beat The Amazing Spider-man 2. That's how much I enjoyed it.

@lil__a 3m
The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Emma Stone & X Men has made @dani_juliette & I act like giddy little school girls ��

@ibzzi 3m
The amazing spider man 2 was soooo sickk

@CKJSMITH 3m
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is such a great film !!!!

@Michaelb34135 5m
The people who are comparing The Amazing Spider Man 2 to Batman & Robin need to fundamentally rethink their lives.

@phoebecostello1 5m
Amazing spider man 2 was so emotional

@maryannsaville 6m
The Amazing Spider Man 2 was perfection in a movie, wow. ��

It's actually trending in the United Kingdom right now. :woot:

Spoilers

a moment on the plain where it looks like the assassin is knocked out before he jumps into shot grabbing Richard Parker

At the end during the electro battle Peter sees a ghost captain Stacey (peters guilt) watching Peter, then an angry electro very quickly and suddenly flies through captain Stacey into spidey

Last edited:
@_TarRae 2m
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was S I C K!!! Do gassed, almost cried though!.. Can't wait for the 3rd one

@Dat_boi_divine 2m
Your life won't be complete if you don't watch the amazing Spider-Man 2

@LucyAshbery 3m
The Amazing Spider-man 2 is well...AMAZING!

‏@ChrisOfAsgard 4m
So basically Amazing Spider-Man 2 was incredible and everyone should see it

‏@RyannnWalker 1m
Amazing spider man 2 was great ��

@Staceym6190 3m
The amazing Spider-Man 2 was incredible...don't know what to do with myself now �� #AmazingSpiderman2

@Rob180Brown 4m
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was fantastic. Great special effects. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were brilliant. A definite watch. #SpiderMan

@NDubletReunion 2m
Want to watch The Amazing Spider Man 2 again it was so good! @SpiderManMovie

‏@yan_phong 57s
Amazing Spider-Man 2 was just amazing

Geez, now I've been home for a while and been dwelling on it, [BLACKOUT]Gwen's death[/BLACKOUT] has started to make me feel numb and quite upset. I mean I shed a tear or two watching it but now I feel genuinely sad. [BLACKOUT]Peter's reaction[/BLACKOUT] just keeps playing in my head.

Hell that film was good. I love films that leave me thinking about them for ages after.

@lil__a 3m
The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Emma Stone & X Men has made @dani_juliette & I act like giddy little school girls ��

@ibzzi 3m
The amazing spider man 2 was soooo sickk

@CKJSMITH 3m
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is such a great film !!!!

@Michaelb34135 5m
The people who are comparing The Amazing Spider Man 2 to Batman & Robin need to fundamentally rethink their lives.

@phoebecostello1 5m
Amazing spider man 2 was so emotional

@maryannsaville 6m
The Amazing Spider Man 2 was perfection in a movie, wow. ��

It's actually trending in the United Kingdom right now. :woot:

That'd be a certain someone from a certain site. :whatever:

I'd perhaps consider the scene where [BLACKOUT]Gwen arrives to help fight Electro at the end and Spidey sees another Capt. Stacey vision shortly before Electro bursts through it[/BLACKOUT] one.

LOL silly me, Yea that would of been the most blatent one. :cwink:

I will say the original soundtrack was disappointing.

Geez, now I've been home for a while and been dwelling on it, [BLACKOUT]Gwen's death[/BLACKOUT] has started to make me feel numb and quite upset. I mean I shed a tear or two watching it but now I feel genuinely sad. [BLACKOUT]Peter's reaction[/BLACKOUT] just keeps playing in my head.

Hell that film was good. I love films that leave me thinking about them for ages after.

Apparently, this is a stupid question, but how was Andrew's acting in that scene?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"