The American Flag!!!

Hey Tom go **** yourself. I guess Michael Moore got tired of assraping your fairy ass.

See, don't listen to that guy. He doesn't speak for us. Nobody who matters thinks the flag was supposed to represent the Bush administration, nobody thought it was a declaration of war.

It was just lame.

A three second shot is "lame"?

Why exactly is America the nation of "mass destruction"? Last time I checked, we aren't the country that trains suicide bombers to kill as many people as possible and cause mass destruction. That title goes to nations like Iraq, North Korea, and terrorist organizations in Afganistan. America doesn't cause mass destruction, nor does it cause destruction aside from destroying the institutions and attacking the organizations, terrorists, and threats that would kill you without a second thought. You might not support the war, but I know I'm more comfortable with the idea that our country didn't raise a little white flag on 9/11 when thousands were slaughtered. I don't like George W. Bush. But I doubt you'd be happy with our nation being attacked without defending ourselves, or, you know, alive.

The American flag has nothing to do with Bush. Bush is just a prominent American leader. Nor did the scene imply anything to do with current politics. American flags are all over this country. They symbolize pride in our nation, not in our president.

I saw Spider-man 3 several times, and many, many other movies that feature both patriotism AND American flags, and not once have I seen a person leave the theatre at the thought that an American flag could be in a movie, let alone 75%. If people are that offended by the Red, White, and Blue, I doubt they'd go to see a movie about a superhero who wears our nation's colors. Nor would they live here. I can't drive down a street I know without seeing a flag. And seriously...that far into the movie, noone would walk out and miss the finale over 2 seconds of footage. Stop exaggerating, and start appreciating the men and women that die so you aren't murdered like all the people in the World Trade Center, or those that suffer under oppressive reigns all over the world. America's goal isn't to kill, destroy, or maim. It's to protect the ungrateful people like you from those that have those goals.

God Bless America.

Thank you. :applaud

clapping.gif

Perry White says: Truth, Justice and All That Stuff.

LOL, what a *****! :D

From a completely rationalized non-american point of view:
No other American flag in the SM films has ever bothered me except that one shot in SM3. Even in SM1 at the very end with the swing from the flagpole. The flag was kind of there but…meh, the main focus was always on Spidey.
The shot in question was very uncomfortably in-your-face type, reminiscent of all those patriotic american documentaries, and it brought into the movie a completely unnecessary topic.
To me Spider-Man is first a New Yorker and only then an American. The film’s plot is not wide and national. It’s very much bottled and personal. It’s about a particular guy in a particular city and about all those other guys and girls he interacts with.
Does that make me an anti-american? No. If anything, I respect America’s position in this world. Heck, America gave me all those novels, comic books, video games and movies I like so much. That’s just enough to love America.
I love american product, its intelligence and creativity. And I keep that completely separate from its government, which could do better.
That said I am against all kinds of patriotism. Which is no more than overblown egoism to me. Yes, including my own country’s. Can’t stand it. All it does is divide us, while the most important thing for us to do right now is try and work together for a better future to all.

A three second shot is "lame"?

Yes.

Hey Tom go **** yourself. I guess Michael Moore got tired of assraping your fairy ass.

Shouldn't you be saluting something right about now?

People continue to misunderstand, it isn't America that people are complaining about. It's the tired, amateur way the flag was pushed in our faces. It's as if Raimi was trying to get the audience to cheer 'AMERICA TO THE RESCUE!'

I LIVE in America, I pay taxes, I contribute to the economy. Don't call me anti-American because I feel I don't need to be reminded of my geographical location every 5 seconds.

Originally Posted by Toxin
Why exactly is America the nation of "mass destruction"? Last time I checked, we aren't the country that trains suicide bombers to kill as many people as possible and cause mass destruction. That title goes to nations like Iraq, North Korea, and terrorist organizations in Afganistan. America doesn't cause mass destruction, nor does it cause destruction aside from destroying the institutions and attacking the organizations, terrorists, and threats that would kill you without a second thought. You might not support the war, but I know I'm more comfortable with the idea that our country didn't raise a little white flag on 9/11 when thousands were slaughtered. I don't like George W. Bush. But I doubt you'd be happy with our nation being attacked without defending ourselves, or, you know, alive.

The American flag has nothing to do with Bush. Bush is just a prominent American leader. Nor did the scene imply anything to do with current politics. American flags are all over this country. They symbolize pride in our nation, not in our president.

I saw Spider-man 3 several times, and many, many other movies that feature both patriotism AND American flags, and not once have I seen a person leave the theatre at the thought that an American flag could be in a movie, let alone 75%. If people are that offended by the Red, White, and Blue, I doubt they'd go to see a movie about a superhero who wears our nation's colors. Nor would they live here. I can't drive down a street I know without seeing a flag. And seriously...that far into the movie, noone would walk out and miss the finale over 2 seconds of footage. Stop exaggerating, and start appreciating the men and women that die so you aren't murdered like all the people in the World Trade Center, or those that suffer under oppressive reigns all over the world. America's goal isn't to kill, destroy, or maim. It's to protect the ungrateful people like you from those that have those goals.

God Bless America.
Very nice post. :applaud:up:

Perry White says: Truth, Justice and All That Stuff.

LOL, what a *****! :D

:woot:

"Hey Islamo-Terrorists (and all you liberal, whinny anti-American pukes)"...
35276722_1ecd05a584.jpg

I like it. I still do. When I watch the movie, I can't help but my heart swell with just a little pride. Just because our current leader's a moron doesn't mean we can't take pride in our country.

Honestly I don't know why people are making such a fuss about a momentary shot of the American flag. What? It was 2-3 seconds? And so what! Spider-Man is an American Hero, the movie took place in an American city. This debate has gotten ridiculous, I don't think there's anything to say which hasn't already been said regarding this topic.

There's nothing wrong with showing the US flag. I thought it worked really well in sm1 but that shot in sm3 just seemed awkward and unnecessary.

Whatever, it was badass. *****ing about a little patriotism in a movie is like *****ing about an accent, it's ****ing pointless. Spiderman is an American made superhero based in what is without a doubt the defining city of the USA, New York. If anyone in Europe or China is actually offended by a shot of Spidey swinging in front of an American flag, then they can make their own damn iconic superhero and swing them in front of their flag. And I won't ***** about it, because it'll be their hero and their flag. Do I not like Godzilla because it takes place in Japan and American bombs caused him to exist? No, I ****ing love Godzilla.

I agree with this.

People continue to misunderstand, it isn't America that people are complaining about. It's the tired, amateur way the flag was pushed in our faces. It's as if Raimi was trying to get the audience to cheer 'AMERICA TO THE RESCUE!'

I LIVE in America, I pay taxes, I contribute to the economy. Don't call me anti-American because I feel I don't need to be reminded of my geographical location every 5 seconds.

First of all that is you complaining about America in the movie. Second, yeah a two second shot after two hours of movie is totally every five seconds.

Support for America, the Nation of Mass Destruction, is support for the Bush administration and I dont elaborate at all when I say that 75% of the audience walked out in protest when the flag was shown during the final battle every time I saw the movie.

Don't you mean exaggerate. Elaborate is like explaining something in detail.
Why should we listen to you when you can't even use words right.

Don't you mean exaggerate. Elaborate is like explaining something in detail.
Why should we listen to you when you can't even use words right.
Well, your precious America has the worst public school system of any civilized nation, so don't blame me for my lack of 'cation.

God Bless America.

Alright, first of all, it isn't the entire country that trains suicide bombers. It's the dictator leader of the country who orders people to do what he tells them to do or pay the price. And for your information, the terrorist groups in Mid-West Asia were small until American forces arrived in Iraq and other countries for their "War Against Terrorism". Second of all, you should probably talk to some of the soldiers who come back from that war and wars like the Gulf War. You'll probably hear some interesting stories... if you're willing to listen. Third of all, you commented that America doesn't cause mass destruction. Then what is going on in Iraq? Did you ever consider that Iraqis see the American troops as invaders in their country? Does America truly have the right to just walk right into a country under the false banner of "liberty"? I don't hate Americans, in fact, I love the American idealists, but they are rarely taken seriously. When learning of American history, I envied you guys for having a President like Roosevelt. But that's all I have to say on the matters. If you have any problem with what I typed, then just pm me; I can be more detailed on these sort of issues.

There is no point in reasoning with people. Im getting a vibe that they are just Anti-Americans.
As an American myself, I've seen plenty of foreign films with foreign flags in them...shown much longer than in Spider-man 1 or 3 but it didn't get me upset or worked up...I've enjoyed those movies for what they were; heck, I even like scenes like that...Im not at all bothered by scenes expressing one's culture and nationality. If a scene of the American flag in Spider-man 3 can bother someone that much, it just shows how much intollerance and hate you have towards the country and I think its wrong...and it doesn't matter if its America or a small country with a populatipon of 80. Intollerance is intollerance no matter how much you sugar coat it and its obvious that we have some people like that here, which is very sad imo.

It isn't that I hate America and I hated the scene with the American flag in SM3, heck, Spider-man is blue and red! To say I hate America is to say that I hate Spider-man (though I'm not too fond of the recent comic books for Amazing Spider-man), which is far from the truth. The problem with the American flag in SM3 is the context behind it in that scene. To show the American flag at that point in time would be to indicate that Spider-man was fighting for his country. This is far from the truth! Why was he showing up to the battle? To save MJ. It wasn't to save the world or to protect the crowd of people; they were just there to see Spider-man in action. So, to have the American flag in that scene gave false symbolism and was of very little significance.
Now, I personally had expected to see the American flag in the Spider-man parade. In fact, I was looked forward to seeing it then and dissappointed when it was not shown. That would have been the perfect scene because then it would have given meaning to Spider-man's presence; he had become an American hero to the people of New York.
So, instead of showing it in a patriotic scene, it was shown at the beginning of the climax when people should be gripping their seats in anticipation of what could possibly happen next. It weakened the suspension I was hoping for.

There's nothing wrong with showing the US flag. I thought it worked really well in sm1 but that shot in sm3 just seemed awkward and unnecessary.

That's the main thing, it was awkward & unnecessary. There were other ways to put the flag in te movie. Also, it didn't look realistic when he started running. The CGI motion for Spiderman in that flag shot looked too mechanical. I just wathced SM1 w/my son today, & I think it would have looked poor in SM1 also.

Why exactly is America the nation of "mass destruction"? Last time I checked, we aren't the country that trains suicide bombers to kill as many people as possible and cause mass destruction. That title goes to nations like Iraq, North Korea, and terrorist organizations in Afganistan.

I have points and have made arguments for and against the flag issue but with regard to your post here, may I remind you of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and that with all the Nuke threats since WW2 up to the present day, America is the only nation to launch not one but two nuclear strikes on a country that didn't really need to be nuked in the first place. Not to mention it was the Americans who helped, aided and funded most of these rogue terrorist countries in the first place. One may see it now as a case of, biting the hand that feeds but what ever. I've made my point.

First of all that is you complaining about America in the movie.

No. It's me complaining about an awkward scene. And it involves the American flag.

And for your information, the terrorist groups in Mid-West Asia were small until American forces arrived in Iraq and other countries for their "War Against Terrorism".

Not true. Iraq has simply become the focus of terrorist groups because troops are there. It's good that we're getting them to come out of their shells so we can kill them.

Third of all, you commented that America doesn't cause mass destruction. Then what is going on in Iraq?

What is going on in Iraq? US troops are standing between the Iraqi people and a violent theocracy, that's what's going on in Iraq.

Did you ever consider that Iraqis see the American troops as invaders in their country?

If they do they're mistaken. Does Iraq not hold elections now? Do women not attend school now? Etc.

Does America truly have the right to just walk right into a country under the false banner of "liberty"?

Of course not. But it does have the right to acknowledge radical Islam as being incompatible with its continues existence.

That's the main thing, it was awkward & unnecessary. There were other ways to put the flag in te movie. Also, it didn't look realistic when he started running. The CGI motion for Spiderman in that flag shot looked too mechanical. I just wathced SM1 w/my son today, & I think it would have looked poor in SM1 also.

Yeah, I think we can just chalk it down to the scene in question being done in a distasteful manner.

tbh i dont see whats the big deal, its the american flag..im english and i really dont give a crap, if theres a point ur tryin to say and i dont understand ok but i dont see wat the big deal is....

Its weird that Spiderman is solving a very personal issue and the American flag is used to instill a sense of patriotism at that moment. Its like you called your gf a ***** and then when you decided to apologize you got a big rush of Rocky IV style patriotism and saluted a flag on the way over. It doesn't make any sense.

No. It's me complaining about an awkward scene. And it involves the American flag.

Not true. Iraq has simply become the focus of terrorist groups because troops are there. It's good that we're getting them to come out of their shells so we can kill them.

What is going on in Iraq? US troops are standing between the Iraqi people and a violent theocracy, that's what's going on in Iraq.

If they do they're mistaken. Does Iraq not hold elections now? Do women not attend school now? Etc.

Of course not. But it does have the right to acknowledge radical Islam as being incompatible with its continues existence.

Second of all, you should probably talk to some of the soldiers who come back from that war and wars like the Gulf War. You'll probably hear some interesting stories... if you're willing to listen.

Grr! Just consider the above comment... I've talked to and listened to people who fought in various American wars and they would all disagree with almost everything you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"