Sequels The Avengers casting thread

He *is* Ant-Man.
At this point, I'm willing to bet money on it.

There's something very incestuous between Marvel, Disney, ABC, Castle, Ant-Man, Joss Whedon and Fillion. Castle gets a Marvel comic? RDJ shows up on an episode of Castle and cross-promos Avengers? Joss Whedon *literally* says "Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ant-Man" when Nathan Fillion crashes his party at Comic-Con?

Fillion also visited the set of Avengers iirc.

At this point it's starting to feel pretty likely and it if turns out to not be the case I will be very surprised.

I also doubt Wright's wacky 60's caper is going to happen, unless it's like Cap and part of the film is set in the MCU's past, and even that feels iffy. I don't see Marvel indulging the guy with an unrelated film about a character who is an essential part of Avengers history.

But I have been wrong before, and if it turns out to be the case here you can be certain I'll deny it later.

Fillion also visited the set of Avengers iirc.

At this point it's starting to feel pretty likely and it if turns out to not be the case I will be very surprised.

I also doubt Wright's wacky 60's caper is going to happen, unless it's like Cap and part of the film is set in the MCU's past, and even that feels iffy. I don't see Marvel indulging the guy with an unrelated film about a character who is an essential part of Avengers history.

But I have been wrong before, and if it turns out to be the case here you can be certain I'll deny it later.

i have no recollection of that event, and i did not have sex with that woman.

....Well, define "sex." :o

In that (in)famous YT video I posted on the last page.

[YT]2kkJJn4qFmI[/YT]

1:00. Joss: "Ladies and gentlemen, I tell you now: this.....is Ant-Man. Because a) Nobody else could play that part and b) Doesn't appear in my film."

Pym is an essential part of the Avengers' history in the comics but this is not the comics. There are decades' worth of material and there will be a small handful of films

They have to pick and choose the characters that work best, the storylines that work best, the villains that work best

I keep seeing people suggest that Hawkeye and Black Widow be dropped for Pym and Wasp. I don't understand it. They've introduced the team, they've shown them bond, now Whedon will get to play with that dynamic. Dropping half of the team will mess with the camaraderie this film established, which was perhaps the biggest key to it working

Yes, the roster rotates in the comics. Once the arcs have finished, and a new era starts up

This arc has just begun

well maybe if it works they could add ant man and wasp and not having to replace any members but it all depends on who directs the sequel

It'll be directed by Whedon. C'mon.

And yes I expect them to add a new hero or two. Personally I think Ms Marvel and Black Panther would be nice choices, as they would add fun new dynamics to the team and movie

But if Whedon's favorite Avengers arc is anything to go by I would not be shocked if the new character is Mar-Vell or Warlock

Pym is an essential part of the Avengers' history in the comics but this is not the comics. There are decades' worth of material and there will be a small handful of films

They have to pick and choose the characters that work best, the storylines that work best, the villains that work best

I keep seeing people suggest that Hawkeye and Black Widow be dropped for Pym and Wasp. I don't understand it. They've introduced the team, they've shown them bond, now Whedon will get to play with that dynamic. Dropping half of the team will mess with the camaraderie this film established, which was perhaps the biggest key to it working

Yes, the roster rotates in the comics. Once the arcs have finished, and a new era starts up

This arc has just begun

This.

Taking out BW and Hawkeye is insane. They were great in TA and it would be terrible to rid them in favor of a tiny woman and a guy who controls ants. Ant Man is cool but i prefer he stays solo for the time being. You could maybe work him in but no Wasp. Wasp would be the most silly and pointless character in these movies.

This arc has just begun

^Boom. I don't know why I don't just follow Chewy around and say "^This." to everything... probably cuz his internet's faster, I'd never catch up.

What'd be really crazy? Fillion as Scott Lang. It fits with both Whedon's comments and Wright's and lets face it, Fillion fits better as cheeky Lang than as neurotic scientist Pym, doesn't he?

This.

Taking out BW and Hawkeye is insane. They were great in TA and it would be terrible to rid them in favor of a tiny woman and a guy who controls ants. Ant Man is cool but i prefer he stays solo for the time being. You could maybe work him in but no Wasp. Wasp would be the most silly and pointless character in these movies.

I agree that Avengers doesn't need to turn into a revolving door (yet)....TA2 should keep the original cast, *plus* add 2-3 new members, and it'd work just fine.

But the notion of making an Ant-Man movie and *not* putting him into the Avengers makes absolutely no sense at all. Nor does adding Ant-Man and *not* bringing Wasp along.....it's a package deal, you can't have one without the other.

And I don't think *anybody* needs to be talking about what's "silly" or what "won't work" on the big screen, when Marvel Studios has proven the naysayers wrong at every turn. If Marvel wants to do Ant-Man, wants to do GotG, or Dr. Strange, or anything else, they'll FIND a way to make it work.

I agree that Avengers doesn't need to turn into a revolving door (yet)....TA2 should keep the original cast, *plus* add 2-3 new members, and it'd work just fine.

But the notion of making an Ant-Man movie and *not* putting him into the Avengers makes absolutely no sense at all. Nor does adding Ant-Man and *not* bringing Wasp along.....it's a package deal, you can't have one without the other.

And I don't think *anybody* needs to be talking about what's "silly" or what "won't work" on the big screen, when Marvel Studios has proven the naysayers wrong at every turn. If Marvel wants to do Ant-Man, wants to do GotG, or Dr. Strange, or anything else, they'll FIND a way to make it work.

So you can say what 'will work' but no one can say what 'won't work.' Yeah... not for real. TA was jam packed, you can't just add 3 people in there and everything be "just fine." Where would their screentime come from?

Some of this Ant-Man "logic" is actually a bit silly. Wasp and Ant-Man aren't attached at the hip. They aren't any more a package deal than IM and War Machine. And making an Ant-Man movie and not putting him into Avengers makes perfect sense in this context, where Ant-Man isn't available and isn't needed. But something compels Ant-Man fans to state he is an absolute necessity, and that his concept is inherently captivating to all, despite clear evidence to the contrary. It's a strange sort of entitlement that seems proclaims itself as logic. Certainly you aren't the only one doing this, but since you brought it up as something no one has place to question, I just wanted to point out how very questionable it is.

And Marvel does want to do Ant-Man... as a standalone thing. As you said, they'll find a way to make it work, despite the naysayers, as well meaning as they may be.

So you can say what 'will work' but no one can say what 'won't work.' Yeah... not for real. TA was jam packed, you can't just add 3 people in there and everything be "just fine." Where would their screentime come from?

Some of this Ant-Man "logic" is actually a bit silly. Wasp and Ant-Man aren't attached at the hip. They aren't any more a package deal than IM and War Machine. And making an Ant-Man movie and not putting him into Avengers makes perfect sense in this context, where Ant-Man isn't available and isn't needed. But something compels Ant-Man fans to state he is an absolute necessity, and that his concept is inherently captivating to all, despite clear evidence to the contrary. It's a strange sort of entitlement that seems proclaims itself as logic. Certainly you aren't the only one doing this, but since you brought it up as something no one has place to question, I just wanted to point out how very questionable it is.

And Marvel does want to do Ant-Man... as a standalone thing. As you said, they'll find a way to make it work, despite the naysayers, as well meaning as they may be.

I don't think you can disassociate Ant-Man from the Avengers that easily. If Marvel is making an Ant-Man movie, and all signs point to the fact that they are, then it will certainly be a part of the MCU. Ant-Man and Wasp are very much a package deal as she will be in his solo movie and then brought along for TA2.

"I" don't think "people" are "using" the "dick quotes" enough. Surely "experienced" internet "users" can "find" more "opportunities" to "express" "their expertise" in "these matters"

I don't think you can disassociate Ant-Man from the Avengers that easily. If Marvel is making an Ant-Man movie, and all signs point to the fact that they are, then it will certainly be a part of the MCU. Ant-Man and Wasp are very much a package deal as she will be in his solo movie and then brought along for TA2.

What is the basis for these statements? He already is disassociated from the Avengers. It was very easy, they just didn't put him in it. All the signs that point to them making an Ant-Man movie also point to it not being in the MCU, or at most, not in the current day MCU. Just because someone's in the solo movie (War Machine) doesn't mean they'll be brought along to Avengers. See how my statements are based on the films and what the filmmakers have said? What are you basing your statements on? You're certain, but no one seems to know why.

"I" don't think "people" are "using" the "dick quotes" enough. Surely "experienced" internet "users" can "find" more "opportunities" to "express" "their expertise" in "these matters"

Yes, "we" "are." :oldrazz:

What is the basis for these statements? He already is disassociated from the Avengers. It was very easy, they just didn't put him in it. All the signs that point to them making an Ant-Man movie also point to it not being in the MCU, or at most, not in the current day MCU. Just because someone's in the solo movie (War Machine) doesn't mean they'll be brought along to Avengers. See how my statements are based on the films and what the filmmakers have said? What are you basing your statements on? You're certain, but no one seems to know why.

How is Ant-Man currently disassociated from The Avengers? Because of a report about the script from a couple of years ago? Marvel is emboldened right now with the success of The Avengers they will be expanding the MCU. I can see them doing one-offs or standalones but Ant-Man probably won't be one of them since he is so closely identified as an Avenger.

How are Ant-Man & Wasp not a package deal? It's a lot different than Iron Man & War Machine because Ant-Man & Wasp are actually a couple.

How is Ant-Man currently disassociated from The Avengers? Because of a report about the script from a couple of years ago? Marvel is emboldened right now with the success of The Avengers they will be expanding the MCU. I can see them doing one-offs or standalones but Ant-Man probably won't be one of them since he is so closely identified as an Avenger.

I think it was a mistake to give Ant-Man his own film instead of shoehorning him into The Avengers. Pym works best in the group dynamic and doesn't seem worthwhile enough to have a solo feature. Would it have been so hard to make him a SHIELD scientist who was helping them with the Cosmic Cube?

I think it was a mistake to give Ant-Man his own film instead of shoehorning him into The Avengers. Pym works best in the group dynamic and doesn't seem worthwhile enough to have a solo feature. Would it have been so hard to make him a SHIELD scientist who was helping them with the Cosmic Cube?

I beg to differ. Pick up Avengers Origins: Ant-Man & The Wasp, and you may think differently.

The Avengers exist in the MCU. Ant-Man is not in them. They are currently disassociated in the MCU, and in the minds of the public. Also, the reports on Ant-Man have kept rolling in, the most recent is from december, and they all tell the same story: standalone script. It's really not dependent on whether or not you can see it, or how we identify Ant-Man as an Avenger.

Pym works best in the group dynamic and doesn't seem worthwhile enough to have a solo feature.

Ouch. I wouldn't go that far. He's a good character, with a lot of potential as a thinking man's superhero.

Hank Pym was going to get a reference in Thor, in fact the reference is still there but he just isn't called out by name. Clearly, the intent from Fiege is that Pym would exist in the MCU.

"A thinking man's superhero.", I like the sound of that Cosmic.

There's no "entitlement" (yay, more "dick quotes") involved here from fanboys.....and the whole notion of Ant-Man "fanboys" (yay, more) still makes me laugh my ass off. There ARE no Ant-Man fanboys. Never have been, at least until they started talking about a solo movie. Hank is a *member* of a *team.* First and foremost. Yeah, you can nitpick and say "technically, 'Astonishing Tales' yadda yadda and a few limited edition miniseries like 'Irredeemable' yadda yadda, but those represent only the tiniest fraction of Hank Pym's career, which otherwise is spent 99% on a team called Avengers....whether as Ant-Man, Giant-Man, Yellowjacket or whoever the hell else.

People keep talking about Ant-Man as an Avenger because he is a goddamn Avenger. Founder. Core Avenger. Mainstay. In 616, Ultimates, any damn version you want. So when Marvel Studios says "Avengers film" and "Ant-Man film," anyone who's read AT LEAST ONE ISSUE of Avengers knows damn well that they go together like peaches 'n' cream.

If Edgar Wright doesn't know this, or doesn't understand this, or wants to live in denial of this, then he's barking up the wrong tree. Feige knows damn well who Pym is, and that he belongs in The Avengers. That's why he's been pressuring Wright in interviews the past few weeks.

And all of that may blow up soon, if Feige isn't happy with how fast Wright is moving on the project, or if he thinks the project isn't going to dovetail into the MCU the way he wants it to. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear one of three things in the next couple of months:

a) Edgar Wright has left Ant-Man, because the studio is interfering with *his* vision of the character;
b) Edgar Wright has been fired by Marvel Studios, because his vision of the character is interfering with theirs;
or c) Marvel Studios has lit a fire under Edgar's ass, and Ant-Man will begin filming this fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"