The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

K30T7EY.gif

And as I have pointed out, there is just as much evidence backing up TDKR. Thats why I don't think you can say one or the other is the film of 2012. Sure, it can be YOUR film of 2012, but its too close to call if you're trying to look at overall reception of the films without personal opinion involved. There isn't much case for any other film than these two, but these two are way too damn close. 2008 was TDK. 2009 was Avatar(which I hated). 2010 was Inception. 2011 was Harry Potter(which I hated). 2012 has got to be a tie IMO.

How was 2010 Inception when Toy Story 3 grossed more and was better received? /Bustingchops :o

That's what's amazing to me. Had TDKR been the 2nd movie in the series, people would be blasting it, in the way many blast Iron Man 2. It gets a pass because it generated good will from the 2nd film. It's really not a very good movie. JGL is the only enjoyable character for me in that film.

That's a pretty ridiculous opinion. After all, IM2 didn't get a pass on the good will from the first film.

I still think people overexaggerate the hatred for Iron Man 2. It's not really as hated as what some fans make it out to be.

The Avengers won 2012 critically and financially. Time to move on to World's Finest vs. Age of Ultron 2015!!!!!!!!

TDKR was 3rd attempt at batmans gritty and realistic universe as for the Avengers it was first time debut on big screen so it was obviously well received by fans as well as GA it dosent mean they can do with this in sequel as many sequel do worse than first but I still keep fingers crossed and hope for better .

The Avengers won 2012 critically and financially. Time to move on to World's Finest vs. Age of Ultron 2015!!!!!!!!

It's RT% was higher. Everything else points to critics like TDKR better.

Score Comparison:

IMDB
The Dark Knight Rises - 8.6
The Avengers - 8.3

Metacritic
The Dark Knight Rises - 78, 8.5
The Avengers - 69, 7.9

Rotten Tomatoes
The Avengers - 92%, 90%
The Dark Knight Rises - 87%, 89%

Average Score:
The Dark Knight Rises - 85%
The Avengers - 82%

without user ratings

The Dark Knight Rises - 84%
The Avengers - 81%

Winner (Critically):
The Dark Knight Rises

Last edited:
Score Comparison:

IMDB
The Dark Knight Rises - 8.6
The Avengers - 8.3

Metacritic
The Dark Knight Rises - 78, 8.5
The Avengers - 69, 7.8

Rotten Tomatoes
The Avengers - 92%, 90%
The Dark Knight Rises - 87%, 89%

Average Score:
The Dark Knight Rises - 85%
The Avengers - 82%

without user ratings

The Dark Knight Rises - 84%
The Avengers - 81%

Winner (Critically):
The Dark Knight Rises

7.9 actually, I just checked. :huh:

Plus averaging rotten tomatoes and metacritic is really not a good idea. :funny: They measure different things.

Going to Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes in the first place is a bad idea in its entirety. :p

7.9 actually, I just checked. :huh:

Plus averaging rotten tomatoes and metacritic is really not a good idea. :funny: They measure different things.
Whoops, my bad. :p

And you're correct about averaging scores, but it was kind of fun.

Going to Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes in the first place is a bad idea in its entirety. :p
Yep, but I decided to use them because some people here do too. It's all just interesting.

I actually think it's the opposite...if TDKR was the second film, it'd be even more highly praised and less nitpicked than it is. TDK being such a great film set up impossible expectations that TDKR tried mightily to fulfill, and in my opinion it did pretty much fulfill those expectations, but of course it was never going to be everyone's cup of tea due to the nature of the story.

TDKR did certainly ride on the wave of TDK's success in terms of people being excited to see the movie and getting butts into the seats. But beyond that, a movie is judged on its own merits. To say that the 87% of critics and millions of fans out there who simply thought TDKR was a good movie are blinded by their love of TDK is more than a little dubious to me. Not to mention, there are plenty of fans who preferred Begins to TDK, and ended up liking Rises more than TDK as well because it was more of a companion piece to Begins.

That's not to say some people may be influenced by their love of TDK to rate TDKR higher, but to paint everyone who loves the film with that wide a brush is not cool. They are very different films and I love both for different reasons.

No one's painting a brush to anyone. TDKR after a year didn't hold up like BB or TDK did, except among the die hard fans. Every one was saying it would be nominated for best picture, that it would be the highest grossing film of the year (I'm willing to give some slack here due to the tragedy), but it fell way short of expectation.

IMO it's a pretty forgettable picture, and the only things memorable are the worst parts of it. Easily it's the worst film in the trilogy, but it has a higher RT score. If you really want to know the truth put up a BB vs TDKR thread on here and watch it go down in flames, because most people think it's the weakest film in the trilogy. That doesn't mean that some can like it, or have it be their favorite, but the majority would say it's not as good.

No one's painting a brush to anyone. TDKR after a year didn't hold up like BB or TDK did, except among the die hard fans. Every one was saying it would be nominated for best picture, that it would be the highest grossing film of the year (I'm willing to give some slack here due to the tragedy), but it fell way short of expectation.

IMO it's a pretty forgettable picture, and the only things memorable are the worst parts of it. Easily it's the worst film in the trilogy, but it has a higher RT score. If you really want to know the truth put up a BB vs TDKR thread on here and watch it go down in flames, because most people think it's the weakest film in the trilogy. That doesn't mean that some can like it, or have it be their favorite, but the majority would say it's not as good.

Er no just no.

I assume you don't go to the Batboards. Every poll I have seen has BB losing. And not just on this website.

The die hard fans criticise TDKR way more than the GA.

Last edited:
Tony, look we can probably go back and forth for pages about how the general public views the movie but in the end we'd both just be giving our impressions of what we think people think. This website alone is not a reliable sample for the general audience at large. In fact, it's the hardcore fans of the series that are the most critical of the movie while the GA was way more forgiving. Any amount of time spent on the Bat-boards would prove that. Yet, this film did very well in Blu-ray sales and continues to stay in the public consciousness since premiering on HBO (I noticed a whole slew of "oh wow forgot how good TDKR is!" type tweets from random people when it first premiered).

Anyway, let me say that Avengers certainly was the more popular film of 2012 both with the public and the fanboy community. But TDKR was no slouch either. It wasn't just some little movie that came along and most people went meh and then forgot about it. No way. It had a lot more baggage and hype to live up to and it faired pretty damn strongly. It's biggest competition was itself, not Avengers. That's why I hate comparing the two, they're just two different animals.

As for BB vs TDKR, I'm sure you might be right as there are a lot of people who hate TDKR in this section, but I'll admit I'm kinda curious. I think it'd be a tighter race than you'd expect though.

I don't see many people talking about any 2012 blockbusters randomly on the streets or anything. And the main issue any sort of talk about the two films levitates towards The Avengers is because The Avengers series is still going, with each new Marvel release being a pseudo sequel to it in a way and continuing its story, where as TDKR was the conclusion to Nolan's trilogy. Basically, every time a new MCU film comes out, or MCU news comes out, there becomes legitimate reasons for the average fan to bring The Avengers up again, where as Nolan's series is complete, so those natural discussion points for TDKR aren't going to come up as often for the average fan.

I assume you don't go to the Batboards. Every poll I have seen has BB losing. And not just on this website.

The die hard fans criticise TDKR way more than the GA.

This.

The minority is always the loudest. Batman Begins fell in third by a long shot in two separate TDKT polls on this website, one around the time TDKR was released, and one around it's blu ray release.

Dark Knight Rises, easily.

Batman is too large a commodity with too popular and respected of a director/writer to fail.

Pretty much. :oldrazz:

A poster actually wrote me a message earlier today indicating to me that Facebook Likes & dead/empty Batboards = More Anticipation for Avengers.

Guess I should just disregard the Scream Award, iTunes record, E's proclamation that TDKR is the most anticipated film in decades, etc then. :o

Batman fans really don't have to post anything in this thread.

The poll results are embarrassing enough for Avengers fans. :o

No, apparently, that's not the general audience voting so no poll where TDKR is number one counts... unless it's Facebook Likes.

Yes, that logic is indeed sound, and not flawed at all :o :hehe:

Some people just like to pretend that the writing isn't on the wall. I'm not even talking about quality here, I'm talking about box office numbers. TDKR is going to out gross The Avengers. That doesn't mean that The Avengers will bomb or be a bad film the just means that The Dark Knight Rises will make more.

$1,511,757,910 AVENGERS (-) $1,084,439,099 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (=) $427,318,811

tumblr_lgzqj7UdD91qd10xu.gif

Not sure what's so funny. Avengers was a surprise phenomenon. No one in their right mind would have said it would make upwards of 1.5 Billion.

Not sure what's so funny. Avengers was a surprise phenomenon. No one in their right mind would have said it would make upwards of 1.5 Billion.

It's still pretty funny. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"