The Dark Knight Rises The Dark Knight Rises Info Hunters Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. We're all like starving children and we will take any food we can get, good or not.

Some idiot fed us garbage for now. Can't wait for the full course meals!

Jesus, this has been blown way out of proportion.

I want to know who the little bastard is.

It was basically this:

tumblr_lgmbi6qprx1qdpdubo1_400.gif

hahaha.

My fav. part is that he doesn't even make contact with the thug.

- Jow

You'd be right except press releases aren't supposed to be posted instantly unless they say "for immediate release." Usually the recipient is given a date where they can go public with the information in the release, so that all media report it at the same time. It's called a press embargo, and breaking it by reporting the contents too soon is grounds for a lawsuit.

It's why various media outlets visit the sets of films but then don't report what they got until several months later before the film's release.
I'm aware of embargoes (you'll see I was talking about the exact same thing earlier in this thread before all this crap went down), but this fake didn't say anything about...any of that. My point was that anyone who deals with press releases on a daily basis would instantly know that was a fake...especially coming from a Hotmail account. And even if it weren't obviously fake, they wouldn't treat it as a "scoop" - they'd publish it with everyone else. There's no way The Wrap was fooled by it.

They were just being a-holes on a completely unrelated matter.

I'm aware of embargoes (you'll see I was talking about the exact same thing earlier in this thread before all this crap went down), but this fake didn't say anything about...any of that. My point was that anyone who deals with press releases on a daily basis would instantly know that was a fake...especially coming from a Hotmail account. And even if it weren't obviously fake, they wouldn't treat it as a "scoop" - they'd publish it with everyone else. There's no way The Wrap was fooled by it.

They were just being a-holes.

Ah ok. Didn't see that with all of the shenanigans. I see your point, but I still don't believe they would whip up something as haphazard as that to "break" something that everyone already knows.

Either they got duped, they're holding something back, or they're just trying to rack up hits like it was suggested earlier.

Regardless, it's bad form on their part.

They were just trying to get hits in a *****ey misleading way.

"It's HOT HOT HOT! Literally!"

:dry:

Ah ok. Didn't see that with all of the shenanigans. I see your point, but I still don't believe they would whip up something as haphazard as that to "break" something that everyone already knows.

Either they got duped, they're holding something back, or they're just trying to rack up hits like it was suggested earlier.

Regardless, it's bad form on their part.
They didn't even "whip up" anything, really. They made one tweet about Batman to get hits from Batfans. Bad form, yes. But they never posted anything misleading on their actual site, and they never actually said anything on Twitter or otherwise that they had a scoop. They had a TDKR/Nolan fluff-piece that they were gonna publish and they wanted to get the attention of Batfans. They just know we're an excitable bunch and took advantage of that.

No, I meant the actual copy. There are certain things that any official press release should have, aside from the content itself.

Like any official release should have a "-30-" or "###" at the end of it.

The fake press release I got this morning was just text, no special characters or anything. I've yet to get a press release direct for WB, but I'm going to email them this weekend and see if I can get on their distribution list.

They didn't even "whip up" anything, really. They made one tweet about Batman to get hits from Batfans. Bad form, yes. But they never posted anything misleading on their actual site, and they never actually said anything on Twitter or otherwise that they had a scoop. They had a TDKR/Nolan fluff-piece that they were gonna publish and they wanted to get the attention of Batfans. They just know we're an excitable bunch and took advantage of that.

To-may-to, To-mah-to...

To-hell-with-the-lot-of-them

The fake press release I got this morning was just text, no special characters or anything. I've yet to get a press release direct for WB, but I'm going to email them this weekend and see if I can get on their distribution list.

Gotcha. The lack of certain features combined with the e-mail address would've definitely been a dead ringer that it was a fake. Kudos for not reporting it.

Collider, CBM, etc. all suck at journalism.

Usually after an official press release, WB tweets the links.

Objectivity in reporting.

Why is someone writing on a blog (rather than a journalist working for a website) automatically and inherently less objective?

Posting a link to wikipedia does not constitute an argument.

From the first line: "A blog... is a type of website ... usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video."

A website with articles.

Because they aren't the same thing. By your logic, Perez Hilton is a journalist.

He is. He's a trashy, crappy, sleazy, sensationalist journalist - but he writes articles, purporting to be truth about the "news," and he publishes it in a way that is accessible to others.

The Wrap piece has nothing to do with the press release. They made the SAME bad fever puns last night. :doh:

Did they make fever puns, or just say it was hot (and save the "fever" stuff for today's twitter)?

Even if they did make "fever" puns last night, that doesn't mean it couldn't have been referring to an actual release or scoop - and that the thermometer in today's article was just a lousy attempt to cover for that (so they can say "this is what we meant by hot" when it wasn't what they originally meant by "hot").

With Batfans on Twitter. I doubt they're worried about that. They didn't PUBLISH anything that would hurt their credibility. Now we just know not to let them lead us on via Twitter next time.

The fact that they're willing to mislead fans should count against their credibility no matter what - the fact that they it was "just fans on twitter" that were fooled doesn't mean their quality of character isn't any worse than if it had been non-fans not on twitter.

I think you and I both agree that they're scum, and that they haven't actually posted any lies - but I think their sleazy behavior should count against whatever they report, simply because it's hard to trust a messenger known to be sketchy. Not saying we should never believe them, but I do think we should take a critical eye to whatever they say (regarding news or just twitter pre-announcements).

Journalism is like teaching - it USED to require a degree/professional training, and now "anyone can do it." But that doesn't discount the merit and worth of those degrees.

True, but it also doesn't automatically discount the merit or worth of those who DON'T have degrees, as I think you've done. Nor does it mean a degree automatically means you're credible.

In any given field, some of the best workers are self-taught or self-made. We should judge a journalist not on his degree, but on his behavior and publications.

Gotcha. The lack of certain features combined with the e-mail address would've definitely been a dead ringer that it was a fake. Kudos for not reporting it.

Collider, CBM, etc. all suck at journalism.

Let's not include CBM. But anyway..

The problem with today's blogging world is the need to rush things out for the hits. It's a different type of journalism now, where you don't need an editor to look after your work (typos) and lack of double checking facts. It's all due to the fierce competition out there because people gotta eat.

If you find Perez Hilton to be a journalist, I can't talk about what constitutes as journalism with you.:o

I can't believe after all this excitement we're right back to square one. :dry: Not only have we been tricked, but the fact we've been tricked twice means we have no idea when or even if there will be any major batman news in the coming weeks. :whatever: The only indication we even have that something is coming is "Jett", and I didn't think it was possible, but his credibility seems to have gone even further down the drain since the debacle with this fake press release.

If it takes as long to announce JGL and MC's roles as it did Tom Hardy, then FML.
sad+batman.jpg

Let's not include CBM. But anyway..

The problem with today's blogging world is the need to rush things out for the hits. It's a different type of journalism now, where you don't need an editor to look after your work (typos) and lack of double checking facts. It's all due to the fierce competition out there because people gotta eat.

Truth!

It's hard to have your work edited when your editor is on furlough and the entire copy desk was laid off.

The blogging world isn't what killed traditional, factual journalism. Traditional, factual journalism failed as a business model (something it shouldn't have been in the first place) and the rabbit hunt for hits and clicks is what we're left with.

The internet didn't kill traditional media. Traditional media killed itself, and the internet is what's left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back