• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Batcave Lounge aka The Batusi

Is this some kind of obscure reference?

He's talking about President Trump, Andy.

It's funny enough when you're too young to get references to the past, but when it's current events that you're not tuned into, it's even funnier, Andy. :funny:
Oh, I'm aware. I just didn't catch onto the reference. I just woke up from a nap

But, anyways, I'm glad to see him gone. I hope he gets curbstomped on live television soon

Even Mike Penice and Mitch Mcconnell's turtle heada$$ don't like him anymore.

lol Mitch the turtle

@SwordOfMorning I know you've said you're a big Bowie fan and you're also into NIN. Have you seen this?

NIN started playing it pretty frequently on the 2018 tour. Low is my favourite Bowie album and Subterraneans is my favourite Bowie song, so it was pretty cool to find out that it's been brought back by NIN. I know Bowie and NIN did it together in 1995, but I think I prefer this version - the Frail at the end is so cool. Thought you might dig it. In the past few years I've hired a few sax players and I keep on giving them this video as a reference lol it's such a simple idea to use sax as an ambient texture but it's rarely ever done.

That whole second side of Bowie's Low is magic, Brian Eno was a perfect fit for Bowie. I know Philip Glass did a tribute to it - I need to listen to it asap

FFS Vandelay why

giphy.gif

Rewatched the original Blade Runner last night. I noticed that it was a lot "thinner" than I remembered it was - thematically and plot wise. It's one of those great style over substance movies where the issues don't matter that much to me because the stuff that works is just beautiful. The set design with the 80s matte paintings + miniatures (some Gotham in Batman 89 vibes) is completely alluring and even though Deckard has very little character you just can't resist Harrison Ford ("tell him I'm eating!"). I can see why it a) didn't resonate with general audiences but also b) took off as a cult classic. It's interesting.

Side note: the cheesy reverb-drenched sax is incredible, the whole movie is dated in a great way (besides the problematic portrayal of Asian characters and the questionable romance scene), especially visually and sonically. The apartment scenes are really wonderful.

2049 is definitely much better written to me and poses much more interesting questions. The fact the Replicants are all just kind of mini-terminator killing machines in the original was never as interesting as what Denis does with them in 2049, personally. Rutger Hauer is unreal though. Him running around in his boxers is unironically one of the greatest things ever.

Best stuff: the entire opening interview, all of Deckard's apartment scenes, Sean Young when she lets her hair down (I like how this can be seen as representing her trying to be human and making a willing effort to be different once she learns the truth), Vangelis, set design, etc. The noir vibes are intoxicating.

What do you guys think of the original?
It’s a vibe movie. You have to be in the right state of mind to let that movie wash over you. Like 2001: A Space Odyssey. The sound and aesthetic is the focus for me because I do think it’s a cold detective story. It drags because too much time is spent with smaller “villainous” side characters. Or 10 minutes spent on Deckard zooming in on a photograph.

Bladerunner 2049 on the other hand is quite possibly in my top 10 movies of all time. Top 20 at the very least. I adore everything about that movie and Gosling’s journey is very emotional for me. Better characters. The use of Deckard works better and because of the character’s age and experience, Ford delivers a more engaging performance full of emotion. 2049 is a very slow movie but I’m so invested in every moment. The ending makes me cry every single time. It’s what I call a perfect movie.

Agree. The slow stuff is actually my favourite stuff in the original haha I love when he zooms in on the photo, and I wish the movie was longer to really take its time in showing more of the world, which luckily 2049 does while also having a killer story at the same time. The mood in capturing the perfectly lit noir atmosphere is just so good in the original.

Agree on all fronts. 2049 is my favourite movie and experiencing it in theaters was the best movie experience I've ever had. Watched the original the night before it (for the first time back then) and then went with my brother, rainy night, literally nobody in the crowd. The massive wall of sound with Hans' soundtrack just FELT so good. Legitimately one of the best nights of my life, it was just like I was actually transported away. That was a big turning point for me in becoming more aware of the movie world and made me play catch up to watch a lot of stuff.

Both Tears in the Rain endings are flawless. Also love both Vangelis and Zimmer's versions of it equally. God knows how many times I've listened to those soundtracks.

>Be me
>Have ADHD, traits associated with autism, and mild social anxiety
>Perceived as a weirdo
>Will possibly die alone

I know, I just had to vent

Vent away bro. If you ever need someone to vent to on a personal basis, I got stories for you! DM me. I'm only 34 so not a full life experience but I can definitely tell you how I equally felt that way at your age and how things get infinitely better with years passed. You're going to be just fine if you allow yourself to be.

Last edited:
I'm a graduate of the 'suffering in silence' school of thought.

I'm a graduate of the 'suffering in silence' school of thought.
To this day I've only opened up to me friends about this whole thing. I need that kind of separation to truly feel appreciated if that makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"