The Batcave Lounge aka The Batusi

batman-forever-gif-4.gif

giphy.gif

What got everyone into Batman? When I was just 3 or 4 yo, my parents took me to see B'89 and it amazed me while making such an impact on me. Soon after I discovered Adam West's Batman, 70's cartoon and Super Friends reruns. My older sister took me to see Batman Returns on opening day and then during the weekend, my mom took me to a comic book shop and got a bunch of Batman and X-Men comics.

Since then, I've loved other heroes but Batman has always been my main hero!

Number of things, really. My parents had Batman Forever on VHS, which was my first introduction to the character. Could've been worse, all things considered. Then, Batman Begins came out and The Batman was on Boomerang or Cartoon Network at the time. Batman's been a favourite of mine since then, but he became my absolute favourite character of all time when I got into the comics side of things a few years back now.

I don't know if I saw Batman '66 before Batman '89 or just bits of the Adam West TV show, but I know I was aware of the Adam West version before '89 came out, and I did watch Super Friends as a younger kid even if all I can remember is the Wonder Twins. '89 was what really made me a fan, though.

Batman Returns was one of my earliest theater going experiences. Been a fan ever since . Look up a YouTube video called A Closer Look: Batman Returns' Impact on Children (July 1992). It's hilarious.

What got everyone into Batman?
I'm a child of the 90s who was exposed to translated pre-Crisis Superman and Batman comics my father used to collect, the focus is mostly Superman in those translated comics, but there were some features of Superman's best friend, some adventures of them together, and a few adventures showing characters like Barry Allen before he died (best Flash, ever), Aquaman, and Elongated Man, and I was hooked to comics and superheroes thanks to that.

Batman Returns was one of my earliest theater going experiences. Been a fan ever since . Look up a YouTube video called A Closer Look: Batman Returns' Impact on Children (July 1992). It's hilarious.

Hmm, I don't think Returns would have upset me at nine or ten. It might have been a lot to absorb, might have turned me into more of a horror movie fan than I am, but nothing I couldn't handle.

What got everyone into Batman? When I was just 3 or 4 yo, my parents took me to see B'89 and it amazed me while making such an impact on me. Soon after I discovered Adam West's Batman, 70's cartoon and Super Friends reruns. My older sister took me to see Batman Returns on opening day and then during the weekend, my mom took me to a comic book shop and got a bunch of Batman and X-Men comics.

For me it's TDK so I guess I got into the fandom pretty late compared to everyone here :hehe:. I admitted in the main discussion thread that I've never seen more than a couple episodes of BTAS and it's true. I'd also never been a comicbook reader pre-TDK and I used to dislike Bats in the JLU animated series because he had no power.

That all changed when I borrow my big bro's TDK DVD in highschool. I've never seen anything like it before, especially the selfless and heroic act done by Bruce at the end of the movie (taking the blame for Dent). From that point on, I really loved Bruce. I loved and admired him so much that I cried unknowingly in the theater watching him sacrificed himself in TDKR. Never done that for a fictional character before. And then I got into the comics and everything else, and now I'm here. Now Bruce is my biggest hero in all forms of media and he's got me through a lot of difficult phrases in my life. I wasted a lot of time and energy in university hyping for BvS (which was also what introduced me to this forum) instead of focusing on my study and career and now I'm in a really bad spot career-wise, but I guess it's worth it to a certain extent :funny:

Hmm, I don't think Returns would have upset me at nine or ten. It might have been a lot to absorb, might have turned me into more of a horror movie fan than I am, but nothing I couldn't handle.

I was 6 or 7 when I saw Batman Returns on opening day afternoon and it did feel like a superhero movie mixed with horror, which was weird but it was amazing! I had already discovered horror slasher films around that time and so nothing was really "scary" as a bad thing.

Adam West and old cartoons were fun but it was both Tim Burton films that got me interested in the comics and mythology

The Puritans coming out against Batman Returns just makes me die laughing. I don't like people like that at all. Hate parental watchdog groups and the like. Don't take your kid to a PG-13 movie if you're so sensitive, *****ebag. Of course this is coming from someone who watched Beavis and Butt-Head and The Simpsons as a child as well as the Attitude Era of WWE during Elementary and Middle School. The FCC and PTC suck by the way.

I think my mom bought me his action figures before I even watched or read Batman. Then it was 89 and especially Returns that got me hooked. I was 3/4 when I was saw them back to back, VHS. Returns was spooky but I was never scared or traumatized by it. I had older siblings who showed me worse horror movies super young so I was shocked to read, years later, that some parents didn’t want their kids to watch it lol. To me that’s weird as hell. Lame parenting if you ask me.

Tell that to Danny... who btw thought Terminator 2 was completely fine and not at all scary or violent.

Never thought T2 was scary or too violent, even as a 4 year old lol. Thought it was a cool, fun action movie.

The Puritans coming out against Batman Returns just makes me die laughing. I don't like people like that at all. Hate parental watchdog groups and the like. Don't take your kid to a PG-13 movie if you're so sensitive, *****ebag. Of course this is coming from someone who watched Beavis and Butt-Head and The Simpsons as a child as well as the Attitude Era of WWE during Elementary and Middle School. The FCC and PTC suck by the way.
You are me.

I think my mom bought me his action figures before I even watched or read Batman. Then it was 89 and especially Returns that got me hooked. I was 3/4 when I was saw them back to back, VHS. Returns was spooky but I was never scared or traumatized by it. I had older siblings who showed me worse horror movies super young so I was shocked to read, years later, that some parents didn’t want their kids to watch it lol. To me that’s weird as hell. Lame parenting if you ask me.

Never thought T2 was scary or too violent, even as a 4 year old lol. Thought it was a cool, fun action movie.
Not a parent but from my own childhood experiences and observations of my nieces and nephews I strongly suspect that being steadily exposed (within reason, of course, you can't responsibly show a six year old Texas Chainsaw or Bone Tomahawk) to darker media at an early age helps kids process it better. I'd watch horror movies as a kid and, yeah, it'd freak me out but I'd be just as fascinated by wondering how they made the gore effects as I was disturbed by the carnage.

Kids I've known who were sheltered from rougher content seem to be a lot more prone to being scared and it builds up an unhealthy mystique around those films that they're bad and dangerous and something to be genuinely feared as opposed to just a fun, fake thing to be scared by in a safe way.

Also, Danny the Junior Puritan rules, wonder what he's up to these days? My guess is he's either a Conservative talk show host or directing splatter films.

How old were you at the time and did Penguin scare you? :cwink:

One who bites the nose of his assistant over a remark in bad taste is someone I trust as future mayor.

Batman 89 and comics for me.

How old were you at the time and did Penguin scare you? :cwink:
Almost 5 years old but not quite. And no Penguin didn't bother me, unlike that wuss Danny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"