The Batcave Lounge aka The Batusi

@shauner111 what are your favourite 90s rap albums?

I like Illmatic a lot but I kinda think it's a bit overrated tbh. If I had to pick a top 3 it would probably be: Aquemini > Ready to Die > Enter the Wu Tang

Andre 3000 is my favourite rapper, all the 90s Outkast stuff is just 10/10 imo

Yeah, but they've sort of split into different genres so they're differentiating themselves from each other more. It's like comparing grunge and punk.

I'd be curious to know what you think a rap song is, and what you think a hip hop song is.

S. Craig should direct the morally indefensible adaptation of DKR with Mel Gibson as Batman and Vince Vaughn as Superman
I both very much love and very much hate that idea with equal passion.

So, we can all agree that Batman being bound to a pillar of justice by his MOTHER'S PEARLS is the funniest **** ever, right? I actually sort of like it because of its endearing grade school obviousness and how profoundly Freudian it is.

I'm a huge defender of Snyder's often weird song choices but that was most certainly the weirdest.

Now I'm picturing that scene in Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters where Mishima has his queer awakening looking at pictures of St. Sebastian... but it's Batfleck in Martha Pearl's Bondage.

7d3ff4ad673588a824482c88c3b8cae5.jpg

The youth’s body – it might even be likened to that of Antoninus, beloved of Hadrian, whose beauty has been so often immortalized in sculpture – shows none of the traces of missionary hardship or decrepitude that are to be found in depictions of other saints; instead, there is only the springtime of youth, only light and beauty and pleasure.

Unintentional or not the homoeroticism of Snyder's superhero films is something I'd love to see more analysis of. That isn't even me digging at Snyder, I'd be happy if he totally embraced it. The titular Batman v Superman fight has some amazing accidental imagery.

There's a more direct lineage between Schumacher's vibrant neon queer aesthetics and Snyder's ultra-macho, angry beefcake style than most would admit.

300 is a movie that ends with a bunch of muscular dudes laying on the ground while a bunch of other muscular dudes shoot into their faces.
That also unironically thinks Xerxes being gay to Leonidas is the scariest **** possbile :funny:.

The start of Time by Tom Waits was magical. I couldn't place it, was it Like a Hurricane from the Unplugged Neil Young album? Oh ****... it's Time? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@shauner111 what are your favourite 90s rap albums?

I like Illmatic a lot but I kinda think it's a bit overrated tbh. If I had to pick a top 3 it would probably be: Aquemini > Ready to Die > Enter the Wu Tang

Andre 3000 is my favourite rapper, all the 90s Outkast stuff is just 10/10 imo
All good picks.

90’s favs:
-Liquid Swords - GZA
-Enter The 36 Chambers & Wu Tang Forever
-Only Built 4 Cuban Linx - Raekwon
-Tical - Method Man
- Ironman - Ghostface Killah
-Return to the 36 Chambers - ODB
-Stress: The Extinction Agenda - Organized Konfusion
-Atliens/Aquemini - OutKast
-Moment of Truth - GangStarr
-When Disaster Strikes & The Coming - Busta Rhymes
-Black On Both Sides - Mos Def
-Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders - A Tribe Called Quest
-Internal Affairs - Pharoahe Monch
-Return of the Boom Bap - KRS One
-Capital Punishment - Big Pun
-Blowout Comb - Digable Planets
-2001 - Dre
-Enter Da Stage & Warzone - Black Moon
-Bizarre Ride - The Pharcyde
-Shut Em Down - Onyx
-Wrath of the Math - Jeru the Damaja
-93 Til Infinity - Souls of Mischief
-Ready to Die - Biggie
-Illmatic - Nas (I agree that it’s a bit overrated. I’ve always said that too but still a classic :)

Last edited:
@shauner111 sick list, haven't heard some of these - I'll have to make some time to check some out. Haven't really delved too much into any Wu Tang solo projects, besides the badbadnotgood/Ghostface project (which has an amazing MF DOOM feature) and ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers.

ATLiens is so good dude. I feel like Southernplaylistic is super underrated, lots of great vibes on that album too. Aquemini definitely takes the best of those two and adds an extra level of storytelling and instrumentation though - stuff like Liberation is next level.

No Reasonable Doubt? I'm not a huge fan but I usually see that on lists.

Edit: I forgot MF DOOM released Doomsday in 1999. That's def up there for me

Love Doom! Still heartbroken.

Never been a Jay-Z fan.

Totally agree about OutKast. Liquid Swords, Cuban Linx & Supreme Clientele are Wu’s best work IMO.

@SwordOfMorning i like both of Zahler’s movies. I have a bit of an issue with his dialogue but I really dig what he’s doing so far. Vaughn for Two Face and Gibson for Batman!

Last edited:
Love Doom! Still heartbroken.

Never been a Jay-Z fan.

Totally agree about OutKast. Liquid Swords & Cuban Linx are Wu’s best work IMO.

@SwordOfMorning i like both of Zahler’s movies. I have a bit of an issue with his dialogue but I really dig what he’s doing so far. Vaughn for Two Face and Gibson for Batman!
His dialogue is hit and miss for me. There's an endearing, hard-edged B-Movie quality to it but it devolves into sub-Tarantino eye-rollers. I mostly find it irritating in Dragged Across Concrete because it's so self consciously offensive (I don't have an issue with characters espousing those views, I just think Zahler is very proud of himself for it and that shows) and the films aesthetic is more straightforward and grounded than the hyper real style of Brawl or Bone Tomahawk which makes the stylized dialogue sound super inauthentic.

I adore Quentin’s dialogue. Zahler’s dialogue reminds me of Nic Pizzolatto’s weakest moments. But at the same time he’s got funny zingers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"