• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

Eager to see how much this will feel like the first film’s Gotham now that they’re shooting in NY rather than the UK.
I don't think it'll be that different being that for the wide shots of the city they pretty much used an extremely digitally altered version of Chicago/New York, with Gotham Square and City Hall being the only parts that were really using UK's actual architecture. GothamCollageResized.jpg

If Gotham isn't significantly altered in appearance after a first film - is it even really a Batman franchise?

Tbf, if you look at the non UK shots in the movie, they do kinda look like a normal city but still have the dirty vibe that Gotham should have. Unlike TDK where it felt too clean, which made it more jarring to think Gothcago wasn't just Chicago. The Batman showed that it's more about how you frame it than what city you use. Even though it looked like a normal city, it felt like Gotham with how dirty it is and the constant rain even though a lot of the shots are literally from the same city used in the latter two TDK movies. With our lord and saviour Fraser, I get the feeling we're safe from this curse

But in all seriousness, real lenses or not, they do scream sci-fi. I feel like it’s a nice way to prep an audience for someone like Mr Freeze.
I 100% agree. They have a SciFi aesthetic, especially that portable monitor Batman had for them. It’s perfect place setting for how to present Freeze’s technology

You guys are going to kill yourselves over these contextless tweets. That could mean anything. The guy could be in Alaska for all we know.

You guys are going to kill yourselves over these contextless tweets. That could mean anything. The guy could be in Alaska for all we know.
He’s told us this past week that he’s on a old film noir kick as he’s writing the script with Matt. They started writing last week.

He's tweeted those two things?
He tweeted that he’s on a 40’s noir and early 90’s animated kick. He’s been tweeting his noir viewings on the daily.

The trades reported that Reeves and Tomlin begin work on the screenplay in September. Less than a week ago Tomlin tweeted that he’s writing while The Fountain soundtrack was playing, and so when a follower asked him if The Batman sequel was what he was writing, he responded with a Battinson gif.

Reeves said that he only writes with a partner if they’re in the same room otherwise he can’t do it. So safe to say, none of them are in Alaska lol.

I doubt every tweet has to do with Batman though, gang.

I doubt every tweet has to do with Batman though, gang.

Every tweet? No, of course not.

A tweet gif from Carol Reed's other, lesser known film noir masterwork Odd Man Out after the previous film already snuck in what was likely a nod to Reed's The Third Man? Probably.

That said, considering how small a callback The Batman's wink was to The Third Man, it's hard to say that if Reeves and Tomlin are referencing Odd Man Out in a sizable manner like how Chinatown and Se7en were for the first film.

Last edited:
It’s really fun trying to find the influences for the next film. Here’s a synopsis for Odd Man Out from the Criterion site (followed by my overboard speculation)..

Taking place largely over the course of one tense night, Carol Reed’s psychological noir, set in an unnamed Belfast, stars James Mason as a revolutionary ex-con leading a robbery that goes horribly wrong. Injured and hunted by the police, he seeks refuge throughout the city, while the woman he loves (Kathleen Ryan) searches for him among the shadows. Reed and cinematographer Robert Krasker (who would collaborate again on The Third Man) create images of stunning depth for this fierce, spiritual depiction of a man’s ultimate confrontation with himself

With our past discussions here about Freeze pulling off robberies to pay for Nora’s treatment, along with the Richard Kuklinski connection (he started out as a thief) maybe you can replace Belfast with Gotham in that synopsis, replace Mason with Fries and use it as inspiration for a third act? Better yet, for the Arkham Origins fans who want to see a bounty on Batman’s head, the idea could be to replace Mason with Wayne as the GCPD or the entire rogues gallery are after the vigilante known as Batman. POV driven, taking place over the course of one night much like Odd Man Out?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"