The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by flickchick85, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom I got nothin'

No, but even non-fans know that Batman has his trusty butler. Killing him off in film one would pull the rug out for sure.

I just don't see why non-fans would give a **** about a rogues gallery tease or The Joker showing up.

dhandler01 and Art Vandelay like this.
  2. shauner111 Registered

Non fans would care about Joker if he looked insane and if he was played by a respected actor.

3. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Dark (he/him/his)

I doubt it's Joker just because Nolan already did that. Full tease of the Rogues or a hint at the second villain is probably more likely

4. shauner111 Registered

But Nolan didn’t show Joker. It was a card.

5. shauner111 Registered

Alfred getting axed a year and a half into Batman’s war on crime is the dumbest idea ever. Edgy for the sake of edgy.

6. J.Drangal Registered

Yeah, I was thinking the same but after finding the original post on reddit, @CondimentKing and @shauner111 probably got that right : the leaker specifically tied the "no way!" moment to the idea of these new movies "circling through dif villains". So... I don't know.

The thing is, when he said that he "clenched on a knee" even not being into DC, that can be understood several ways imo.
    This is either because the scene is very powerful in itself, in its drama, and he just clarified how it therefore breaks with CBM usual trend to end with surprise related to their franchise (big character revealed , cameo, etc.). Or it's actually really related to the DC universe but using something or someone whose popularity is beyond fan circles and likely to excite audiences at large.
    But if so, I just can't think either of a character causing that kind of reaction. Even Joker, and even if played by a big name. It feels like it needs more imo...

Maybe we're all right and it's a mix of all of our predictions: a very popular character being introduced, but through a very crucial, tense and "game changing" scene, from a story aspect.
    That would be the best for me. I'm not big on cameo just being dropped, I'd rather to be shake by what is happening on screen.

#25206 J.Drangal, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    shauner111 and Art Vandelay like this.
  7. emielaen Registered

I'd much prefer the incredible scene over a big cameo if I had to choose one.

8. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

I'm sure if there's a big cameo it's a natural development of the plot. I can't see there being a generic post-credit scene, it's probably all tied into the climax of the movie and that's why it's seen as crazy by this guy - that's my guess anyways.

emielaen, shauner111 and J.Drangal like this.
  9. Art Vandelay Registered

Maybe if he were perhaps plunging a knife into Alfred's stomach when he shows up, because that's the only way I can see justifying someone (who apparently isn't even a Batman fan) using this hyperbole.

"There’s a scene at the end that literally had everyone SCREAMING, everyone gasped.. like it was a big NO WAY for everyone… I don’t give a damn about Batman or DC and even I clenched on to a knee and was shook. It’s the biggest mic drop."

So, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it's definitely not a villain reveal based on the language being used.

10. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

For real, literally one of the only two things that Reeves could do that would make me immediately lose interest in the version of the character (the other being Batman intentionally killing goons). I am fine with anything else he wants to do, the more you push the characters in different directions the better, but repeating Alfred dying like the Affleck script would be a complete waste of potential imo. The dynamic is nearly as essential as Bruce dressing up like a bat, one of the few things that just can't be changed (and I usually prefer when things *are* different from the comics), at least for an early-career Batman.

J.Drangal likes this.
  11. Art Vandelay Registered

To be fair, I only thought about killing Alfred because the very idea would be shocking, and would elicit such a shocked response from the audience.

12. J.Drangal Registered

Yeah, since I don't think Reeves would do something like that for shock value, I was wondering how that could work. If Reeves uses the "orphan" theme as many of us assume, Alfred's death could reinforce Bruce's need to rebuild a family and… well, you guess what's coming next.
    I'm not saying it will be this, I'm just speculating for the fun of it. In fact personally, I really wouldn't want that at all..

Alfred never needed to die until now because I think the consequences for Bruce, story and thematically wise, would just be too close to the trauma of his parents murder. It would be the same mistake The Amazing Spiderman made, with its Peter being more concerned about his parents fate than his uncle. It dilutes the character's dramaturgy.
    And finally and more importantly, like you said, Alfred's dynamic with Bruce is very much needed. For diegetic reasons (moral support, guidance for Bruce) and non-diegetic ones (offers levity scenes in a dark movie).

It was definitely my first idea too. But it seems too obvious and like said above, a quite sterile idea.

#25212 J.Drangal, Sep 2, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    CondimentKing likes this.
  13. shauner111 Registered

Disagree. The language tells me it’s villain/s shown on screen. Imagine a closing voiceover from Bruce like a montage and we see a variety of villains played by actors not just stand-ins. Are these Drops a sub-plot that leads Batman to Joker? Or is there a gigantic actor revealed to be the head of the CoO? Something big is in store.

14. Invader Joker Registered

I think you're severely understimating how popular Joker is even to non-fans.

15. Art Vandelay Registered

And you guys are vastly over rating his importance to non fans.

Imagine. The Joker. In a Batman movie. What a twist! :whatever:

OtherwiseKnownAs likes this.
  16. TheSmoothKnight Registered

Interesting that so far no one has came out and denied a screening happened or the stuff that was said about it. I was low key expecting someone who is legit to come out and throw cold water on it lol

17. shauner111 Registered

Really? :funny: it’s the Joker...

And most of us are saying it would be about how he looks, who’s playing him etc. Not just the fact that it’s a new Joker. Context is important. But it’s a “no way!” from casuals, fans, non-fans alike...which paints a clear picture that it’s a actor reveal. And maybe I’m wrong on that but the description reads as a physical reveal at the tail end of a movie that serves as a mic drop (a “try to top that!?”) as well as a shaking the audience to their core show-stealer (which will make people want to see a sequel).
    BluRayAngel posted some strong Court of Owls hints as well. So I’m guessing there’s quite a few characters being positioned for Battinson’s future

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  18. Invader Joker Registered

Yes, the Joker. You know, that one character whose last movie just made a billion dollars, that one character that has gained two oscars. If he showed up on a movie as an unannounced surprise everyone would go nuts.

19. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

What if the last scene if Bruce attending a circus and the camera pans to a poster for ''The Flying Graysons''?

20. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Dark (he/him/his)

It's still a Joker tease, which I don't see Matt doing because that's already been done

Okay, THAT I want.

Rick190293 likes this.
  21. C Prometheus Registered

That's the ending that a ton of die hard fans want to see, but IMO it's not the ending that'd get casual moviegoers to collectively lose their marbles and get hyped over the sequel for.

shauner111 and Rick190293 like this.
  22. Rick190293 Registered

I agree. A lot of people still dislike Robin, but it’s time someone does him justice in the movies.

23. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Dark (he/him/his)

Do they though? Maybe fans who are old enough to remember Batman Forever and Robin. But...given I was born 3 years after Batman and Robin came out, that's probably no longer the unanimous group that it once was

24. Rick190293 Registered

Well, there are the older fans that were left with a bad impression, and the newer ones who didn’t have seen a good boy wonder adaptation… that’s why they should introduce him at some point, IMO. I’m fine with a loner Batsy, but it’s been a long time since some good Batman and Robin action

25. DeadlyWest A Flare in the Dark (he/him/his)

Gotta remember as well that fans likely have some idea of who Robin is off of the animated stuff. Teen Titans, Young Justice, BTAS etc. I'm sure the Flying Graysons reveal would get everyone pretty excited

Rick190293 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.