• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This movie is one I definitely need to see on the big screen and luckily there’s a long enough wait that I will (hopefully) feel comfortable sitting in a theater again for 2+ hours.

A lot of those 2021 releases, as excited as I am for them, I can probably live with streaming them over risking my health.

If Disney follows this then yeah the theatrical experience is dead. A true shame. This batman trilogy will be the last grand cinematic one then because you are not getting blockbusters with this model. After the 2021 slate is done budgets will be adjusted and reduced.

If Disney follows this then yeah the theatrical experience is dead. A true shame. This batman trilogy will be the last grand cinematic one then because you are not getting blockbusters with this model. After the 2021 slate is done budgets will be adjusted and reduced.
No you'll still get blockbusters. Prices for streaming services will go up and there'll be way more protocols in place to prevent password sharing

Very curious if this is sustainable. I cannot imagine people being willing to pay the kind of subscription fee that would let these movies be profitable especially when it’ll be so easy to pirate things instantly.

I agree this is not a happy development, BUT...if any studio needed to stop over-spending on their films, it’s WB, so forcing them to rein in their budgets and spend more judiciously might be an unexpected silver lining.

I think this is it....this is the future happening now. The batman and any following movies (if the there are any) will be premiering on hbomax as well

They’re so thirsty to make HBO Max a thing anyone cares about.

I think this is it....this is the future happening now. The batman and any following movies (if the there are any) will be premiering on hbomax as well
Given a successful theatrical release is objectively going to be more profitable I suspect The Batman will have a more normal release. Not going to be shocked either way though.

:(

I just hope theaters are still financially viable enough to exist, even as a niche thing. I really really want to see this in theaters. Home just isn't a substitute at all imo. Watching Blade Runner 2049 in an empty theater on a rainy night was legit one of the best experiences of my life, and stuff like that just isn't possible at home on a TV. Depressing

They’re so thirsty to make HBO Max a thing anyone cares about.
People keep trying to make this about HBO Max, but even if they want to pump life into the streaming service, I feel pretty confident in saying this move doesn’t happen if COVID hadn’t raged on all ****ing year long.

If we lose theaters, don’t blame WB. Blame Trump.

There's no way I watch The Batman at home compared to a massive screen.
The theatre experience has been ruined for me recently. People talking, people eating loudly, cell phones, uncomfortable seats, etc.

Cant even count on both hands how many movies have been ruined by dumb audiences.

I have an awesome home theatre projector system in my basement so I think this will work well for me. I get it for those that dont. I also get that budgets are going to be cut in half probably moving forward. Dont know how you have avatar or star wars or avengers type budgets again....

Watching a Batman movie in the cinema day one opening night is a big event for me. I'm fine with watching the others from my home but I have to be in a theater for Batman.

I like to believe we'll be in a better place by 2022.
The theatre experience has been ruined for me recently. People talking, people eating loudly, cell phones, uncomfortable seats, etc.

Cant even count on both hands how many movies have been ruined by dumb audiences.

The last time I was at the theater was for Joker last October and the guy in front of me was recording it for Snapchat.

People keep trying to make this about HBO Max, but even if they want to pump life into the streaming service, I feel pretty confident in saying this move doesn’t happen if COVID hadn’t raged on all ****ing year long.

If we lose theaters, don’t blame WB. Blame Trump.

Well I will leave the politics out of it (though...yeah!) but yes this is all because a large percentage of my fellow Americans don't want to do what is best for society as a whole. Just selfish behavior which is why we had the deadliest day of the Pandemic 9 months after we first got hit with it.

The vaccine isnt going to save 2021...everyone knows it. Even the best projections say things won't return to normal til roughly Fall. Unless a miracle happens 2021 will just be 2020 with a better future outlook.

I also get that budgets are going to be cut in half probably moving forward. Dont know how you have avatar or star wars or avengers type budgets again....
There's still a massive amount of moviegoing audiences who aren't regularly subscribed to premium streaming.

If we do transition to Hollywood blockbusters releasing day-and-date on these platforms, the subscriber count is going to get a massive uptick.

The way these studios will make money will look different; instead of $15-20 per viewing, it's now $15-20 for a whole month. But the latter would be sustained across a lengthy period of time instead of relying on a per-screening basis. If they get a healthy amount of consistent "lifetime" subscribers, the bigger services will still be able to continue with large-budget films. We've already seen Netflix commit.

And the algebra behind how much they make will change as well. No more splitting profits with theaters. Different types of advertising. They may bring in less money but they will be keeping a higher percentage of it.

I have an awesome home theatre projector system in my basement so I think this will work well for me. I get it for those that dont. I also get that budgets are going to be cut in half probably moving forward. Dont know how you have avatar or star wars or avengers type budgets again....
Definitely see what you mean, but for me personally, I actually never had experiences like those bad enough to make me not want to watch in the cinema. the pre-hype to the movie starting, and seats filling up can't be replicated for me at home sadly.

That's sort of what makes me think 2022 could have a bit of resurgence in theaters with Batman and any Marvel blockbusters. Once it's safe people will want to get out again. The problem is theaters surviving until then. Hopefully WB realizes how much money theaters can still make post-covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"