• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think 2022 could definitely be the resurgence, with Batman leading the charge. I find that far too many people assume others will still want to be indoors after the pandemic.

While this is very, very bad for the theatrical experiences and an absolute Pandora’s box it is nice to know we’ll be getting any of these movies in 2021. Thought Suicide Squad especially was likely to bail to end of year or 2022.

The thought of Batman saving theaters when all hope seemed lost :')
as I said 12 years ago for another director who used Batman to change cinema, I'll say it again for this one. In Reeves we trust.

COVID-19 vaccine should be hitting around summer 2021. I'll be seeing this in theaters. To hell with this nonsense.

And LOL at their desperation to make HBO Max a thing.
I enjoy HBO Max for what it is, but it's certainly not something I want to watch future big new releases on. Am I correct in that it said they'll only be on there a month, and the remaining time in theaters?

@SwordOfMorning agree about Suicide Squad, I was thinking that would get moved. I really hope Dune can make enough in this format to get the second part green lit too.

If Disney follows this then yeah the theatrical experience is dead. A true shame. This batman trilogy will be the last grand cinematic one then because you are not getting blockbusters with this model. After the 2021 slate is done budgets will be adjusted and reduced.
Oh Jesus. Vaccines will be here soon. This is for next year and they even said they want to get back to the theatrical model ASAP.

@SwordOfMorning agree about Suicide Squad, I was thinking that would get moved. I really hope Dune can make enough in this format to get the second part green lit too.
Suicide Squad, Matrix 4, Halloween Kills and Dune are probably my most anticipated movies of 2021, so I'm definitely happy most of these will keep their release dates (yes, I know Halloween Kills is Blumhouse).

Oh Jesus. Vaccines will be here soon. This is for next year and they even said they want to get back to the theatrical model ASAP.

That's true although it is a bit of a Pandora's Box situation. I feel like it'll come down more to what Disney decides to do with the MCU tbh. It'll take awhile sorting out the American vaccine situation more so than other countries as well. I think hopefully (and probably) 2022 will be theatrical model tho but there is a chance it doesn't, which is worth mentioning

That's true although it is a bit of a Pandora's Box situation. I feel like it'll come down more to what Disney decides to do with the MCU tbh. It'll take awhile sorting out the American vaccine situation more so than other countries as well. I think hopefully (and probably) 2022 will be theatrical model tho but there is a chance it doesn't, which is worth mentioning
Are you referring to the amount of people willing to get vaccinated?

As long as this movie keeps its theatrical release date I still feel hopeful honestly and thank god Warner Bros did push this into 2022 or else I'd definitely be worried.

Hopefully, this is the film that causes people to go back to the theatres in droves, because there is definitely nothing like watching a Batman film opening night in a packed theatre.

Yes, and also just the sheer amount of people in America. I'm in Canada, and I'm a bit curious how soon things will happen here too
I read recently that if 70% of the American population gets vaccinated by June, we could have a pretty normal fall and winter. The problem though, as we insinuated, is that there are far too many people unwilling to take this even proven safe.

The theatre experience has been ruined for me recently. People talking, people eating loudly, cell phones, uncomfortable seats, etc.

Cant even count on both hands how many movies have been ruined by dumb audiences.

I have an awesome home theatre projector system in my basement so I think this will work well for me. I get it for those that dont. I also get that budgets are going to be cut in half probably moving forward. Dont know how you have avatar or star wars or avengers type budgets again....
I think everyone is losing their minds for nothing, and i certainly prefer the theatrical experience. But i think movie budgets are way too high anyway. And I’m perfectly satisfied with the Avatar’s, Star Wars, Avengers, Godzilla’s of the world NOT being made. And that won’t happen. But I personally don’t like 99 percent of action blockbusters anyway so I don’t see that as a threat lol.

Anyways, major hyperbole going on, on the hype, twitter...calm down ppl.

Last edited:
We also shouldn't underestimate how much a significant portion of people ****ing hate having to leave their house. Post-pandemic nerves and a year and a half, two years out of the habit of going to the theater ain't gonna help. If other studios follow suit and this becomes normalized that is a huge problem for the theatrical model.

But that's all assuming this is even in the ballpark of a financial success and, perhaps I'm missing something, but is there any situation where this doesn't lose an obscene amount of money?

We also shouldn't underestimate how much a significant portion of people ****ing hate having to leave their house. Post-pandemic nerves and a year and a half, two years out of the habit of going to the theater ain't gonna help. If other studios follow suit and this becomes normalized that is a huge problem for the theatrical model.

But that's all assuming this is even in the ballpark of a financial success and, perhaps I'm missing something, but is there any situation where this doesn't lose an obscene amount of money?
Literally just saw someone say how they like this because it means they can pirate new movies easier. Couple that with the fact that HBO Max isnt even available in every country, I don't see any way this doesn't lose them money.

I'm curious to see the model. I just don't see how Dune turns a profit now, let alone a big enough profit to get a sequel off the ground.

And if WW84 underperforms spectacularly, does that kill Wonder Woman 3 or will WB give WW84 a pass since it's essentially be sacrificed as a guinea pig?

Vaccines will likely hit here before the summer. By next Christmas things will be different. The Batman will be a huge event. Everyone go drink some eggnog, even if you don’t like the taste, and go put a smile on that face.

I'm curious to see the model. I just don't see how Dune turns a profit now, let alone a big enough profit to get a sequel off the ground.

And if WW84 underperforms spectacularly, does that kill Wonder Woman 3 or will WB give WW84 a pass since it's essentially be sacrificed as a guinea pig?
They have to be regarding WW84 as a write-off, no serious person could possibly expect it to make profit. I'm hoping they regard it as a victim of circumstance, which it is.

Dune is (and probably always was) boned unless they're viewing it as first and foremost a prestigious mission statement, something to garner acclaim that increases their brand/services reputation for quality. Essentially extra expensive awards fair. If it's a huge critical hit like Blade Runner 2049 I don't think them continuing it on HBO Max in some form or another is out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"