The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds... odd. However, you can't go wrong with Jeffrey Wright, so I'm intrigued.

I won’t lie, I do feel a bit deceived seeing the words “Jeffrey Wright” and “Batman” together without this being some sort of movie tie-in.

It looks like a batsuit from a Batman movie that isn’t interested in presenting a bog standard superhero interpretation. The suit would look completely out of place in a typical, hyper real, bombastic comic book movie, but is absolutely right for what this film clearly is. I’ll take rough looking, less than perfect batsuits over yet another by the numbers cbm at this point.

Pattinson’s batsuit is a statement of intent, and it’s an intent I’m one hundred percent behind.
This. ALL of this. :up:

Aw man Matt Reeves deleted his Vimeo apparently. I wonder why he'd do that.

Umm. No.

Those movies often feature long takes, Because they can. Both Uwais and Jaa are experienced martial artists who can convincingly pull of complicated and brutal fight work. The warehouse scene is a conventionally constructed Hollywood action set piece, with edits and cg to hide all the joins. To say a fight scene from Ong Bak or The Raid is like warehouse is not a good comparison.

More accurate would be one of The Matrix films.

The Matrix makes a good contrast, though. In the Matrix, the uncanny-valley elements of the martial arts fights are consistent across the movie, explicitly justified by the narrative, *and* used to set tone. Their weirdness isn't an SFX failure, but something with meaning.

An analogous failure would be if the Matrix had a couple fight scenes in the real world, and these fights scenes followed more realistic rules and visuals in contrast to the matrix fights. . . *except* for one move in one fight, which used the same unrealistic and uncanny visual logic as the matrix fight scenes. It would similarly stand out like a beacon and be out of place. . . though admittedly, given the generally high quality of the movie, the first response by the audience would probably be "Holy ****, they are still in the matrix!"

Batman is a knock down brawl isn’t even what I like about Batman. Please give us a scene of Batman stealthily taking down thugs one by one Reeves!

Being fair, I think there is a place for both. I do agree that giant mook brawls are not the most important thing a Batman movie can provide, since giant mook brawls aren't exactly uncommon in similar movies. Heroic slasher movie stealth takedown extravaganzas are much rarer.

My gut inclination would be, have *one* open mass melee, to establish and/or remind the audience that Batman really is that good, and he doesn't *need* to hide from the average criminal mook, all else being equal. The rest of the fight scenes, either do as ninja stealth fights or multimodal conflicts with a "boss level" opponent, because those are more interesting to watch.

Well, one is a beautiful one-take that shows passion, and consists of little to no cgi.

The other isn’t that.

Also, one of them was a beatdown, but with the cinematic language that pretty strongly says "He'll live". The other not only lacked said cinematic language, but said the exact opposite, that quite a few of those enemies 100% died.

I think I’m probably far more forgiving of Batman’s no kill rule than most, but the warehouse fight definitely itches toward too much. For me it’s about the intent and context of the scene. Stuff like Keaton throwing thugs over balconies or Batfleck exploding cars doesn’t really bother me. Action movies have a different cinematic language for kills, Bond shooting a machine gun at thugs doesn’t really have the same impact as Bond taking down the main villain. I’m fine with Batman operating in that space cinematically. As long as Batman doesn’t shoot people point blank or stab them in the head, I think it’s fine, but the warehouse scene is very, very close to shooting people point blank and stabbing them in the head.

There's also that. . . okay, this is another one of those "in the larger context of the movie" issues. On its own, the Warehouse Fight is sort of fine on the killing issue, if you ignore the cultural context of "Batman shouldn't ever kill". Its a hostage rescue, against people who literally planning to roast an innocent person alive, that certainly justifies a hard takedown. If the movie version of Steve Rogers were doing this rescue, I'd totally expect at least a good half of the mercenaries won't ever be getting up again, either.

The problem arises because the rest of the movie? Does a very good job of portraying the Batman as, essentially, an invincible horror movie monster. He may technically be human, unlike Superman, but from the perspective of a normal human opponent, he is just as much an unstoppable ubermensch as Superman. This gives the Warehouse Fight a sort of uncomfortable, "grown man beating up babies" undertone. It just fits badly with the "this is Batman reborn, no longer the inhuman monster from the first two acts of the movie" theme that is clearly intended at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"